The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 7 July 2020, 10:29 AM   #1
Carry The Interest
"TRF" Member

Watch: RLX, ALS
Aspiring Porsche Buyer - Tips on Buying a 911 Carrera?

Hi everyone!

Hope you and your loved ones are all doing well! Things in LA definitely seem to have become a lot more crazy here in LA during the past month. I haven't been on TRF regularly for the past month or so due to things being crazy with work.

I am looking to buy a new car in the next few months. For reference, I own a 6-cyl BMW Gran Coupe currently. It's been a fun car that's served me well the past 4 years. Thankfully things have been going really well at work for me and I am finally ready to turn one of my teenage dream's into a reality: buying a 911. Note that this will most likely be replacing my daily driver.

I know that there are a lot of Porsche owners here on TRF, so I thought I'd tap into the collective knowledge of our awesome community to get any tips and advice on the shopping/buying process. Also, if you're based in SoCal and have any recommendations on sales people/dealers you, feel free to PM me (Beverly Hills Porsche is 10 minutes away from me).

My (limited) experience with Porsche: I've only driven a 911 a few times but had a ton of fun driving it. This was my friend's 991 Carrera S (last gen platform). Given everything going on recently, I've held myself back from going to a dealership for some test drives (albeit, tempting).

What I am looking for: definitely a Carrera from the 911 family. I am also insistent on buying a 992 (current gen) which obviously eliminates the overwhelming majority of the used market. Specifically looking at the base model, S, 4, and 4S.

Finally, general questions I have for those with experience. Obviously, these are largely a matter of preference but that's one of the reasons why I am here asking owners with experience.

- RWD or AWD (4)?: I am guessing this one is the most "personal preference" of the list. I've watched a few videos that briefly address this topic. I live in LA (no crazy weather changes here) so don't need the AWD for practical reasons. I know some "purists" advocate for RWD but that the AWD variant does come with improved overall performance.

- S Upgrade?: This probably requires a test drive of both to see if I personally think the performance upgrade is worth the $16k. Open to thoughts here though, even if they are as simple as "if you're going for a 911 you need the S at minimum".

- Add-ons/Packages?: I've read online it generally makes sense to avoid a car that is heavily stacked with add-ons/packages. I am guessing that has to do with the lease math (e.g., add-ons are depreciated more aggressively) but assume it also applies to general value retention and ownership. Open to any thoughts on must-have's vs. things to avoid if possible.

- New or lightly used?: Given I am limiting the search to a 992, the used market is very limited but something I can continue to monitor. Does buying a very lightly used model make sense over buying brand new if I can find the right trim/combo I am looking for? From what I've read so far on Porsche CPO policy, buying a lightly used model seems just as good as going brand new.

- Discounts?: I have zero experience with buying a Porsche, so I am not sure what's considered a feasible discount off sticker price? Is a certain percentage a "must" and then it's a matter of negotiation for maybe a few more points? I completely understand this is likely going to be a much different experience from negotiating price on a BMW.

- Value Retention: This is related to some of my topics above. I know full well I am buying something that is going to depreciate immediately. That being said, do certain spec'd Carreras tend to hold value better than others? For instance, AWD vs RWD? Does the S upgrade make sense in the long haul since perhaps they're more desirable on the used market?

- Color: Saved a fun one for last. Any personal favorite color combo's? I for one am a total sucker for Chalk, which I think looks awesome on the 992. I also like the Aventurine Green as well. One thing I am certain of is I don't want to go black with this car (all my previous cars have been black; I think black hides some of the best parts of the 992's design).
Carry The Interest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2020, 10:45 AM   #2
Xenon
Banned

Join the Porsche Macan Forum below and send a private message to member yrralis1 as he has owned several 911's and Macans. He is a cool guy in the Florida area and he knows everything there is to know about 911's. He even invites other members to his house to drive his 911:

https://www.macanforum.com/threads/9...ission.175550/
Xenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2020, 11:13 AM   #3
Psmith
"TRF" Member

Watch: spring-driven
Check out Nick Murray on YouTube (yrralis1 mentioned above links to him). He reviews every available 911 option and gives his opinion on whether or not they are worthwhile. He has owned multiple Porsche models (inc. 911) and documented many of the experiences. He also offers assistance with the buying process.
https://www.youtube.com/user/nickmurray22/videos
Old 7 July 2020, 11:14 AM   #4
socialpro
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex || Panerai
Go here:

https://rennlist.com/

They have a 992 section and the very helpful members will help guide you the right way. I've owned several 991s, several other porsches and several exotics.

For a 992 the ride and feel will be the most refined out of all 911s - which is probably something you want, especially for a DD. I prefer RWD, especially for an enthusiast car - I like the reduced weight, and usually better steering feel. Given you are in socal, rwd should be a non issue.

Test drive both the base and an S to see if the power bump is worth it the price to you. Don't be afraid to find what you want and buy out of state. I'd go preowned to save yourself the drive-off-the lot depreciation, unless you absolutely must have a brand new car. These just recently came out and with each passing day will see a slide in price that's fairly large (this isn't a GT product - which hold value best).

A lot of other factors are down to personal preference, judgement and emotions. One key thing is you can't go wrong with any of these - they are VERY well built machines, especially in 2020 and rank as one of my favorite manufacturers and car brands out there.

Good luck.
socialpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2020, 11:41 AM   #5
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Hey joey I just picked up a 992 C2 as a daily driver. I previously had the 991 when it was released in 2013.

Right now on in stock cars most dealers are offering 4-5% but 6-7% is doable for sure. Normally we’d be in 8% plus territory but inventory is somewhat scarce with Covid and the pending august shut down at the plant. I was able to get blue book on my trade plus 6% fwiw.

I went with a relatively modest car. I am a strong advocate for a base car and rwd. I have no intention of racing anyone and the base car with pdk is plenty fast and you can wring it out a bit more on public roads.

I drove my last c2 through buffalo ny winters with snow tires and had zero issues. Not sure why anyone would want the c4. If you get the awd I’d prolly go c4s to make up for the added weight. The c4s with pdk is damn near 991 turbo quick. They’ve really outdone themselves.

I know sechsgang has one so hopefully he chimes in. Seen him over at rennlist praising the 992.

I also know where a chalk c2 is that’s negotiable if you’re inclined.
Old 7 July 2020, 11:59 AM   #6
MichaelFlash
"TRF" Member

I think the S is an essential upgrade. Everything else is a personal decision. I purchased a highly optioned Cayenne and it is quite enjoyable but if I had to do it again I would have gone for the S. It’s my wife’s car so not really an issue. I did not make that mistake with the Panamera and got the 4s. Night and day difference from the base. Test drove the 911 4s and was amazed. Spectacular car.
MichaelFlash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2020, 12:55 PM   #7
Dyim
"TRF" Member

No need of a 4. Some guys drive 2 in the winter with snows. They are all wide body now so they all look the same.

For resale, sport Chrono, sport pack with PSE, S, dealers always say moon roof.

I have 2 tone full leather. Love the 'free' deviated stitching.

Rennlist is definitely the best resource.

Go spend some time on the configurator and see what you are looking for and the crazy options out there. Anything over 30k in options you probably won't get it back at all.

If you want a deal, get a lot car that has been sitting for a while. Some people get huge discount for lot cars that has been sitting for months.

I got 5% off when I custom order my 991.1 in 2013. I am trading it in to the dealer (for another Porsche that usually doesn't sell for less than MSRP) and they offered me 47% of what I paid 7 years ago. Not bad for a car that is 7 years old and has 53,000miles. Especially this is not a GT car. Part of the reason is 991.1 is the last of the NA engines in non GT Carreras. Overall, 911s hold their value quite well.

Happy hunting.
Dyim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2020, 03:02 PM   #8
Carry The Interest
"TRF" Member

Thank you all for the very helpful replies. Plenty of resources shared here to start looking into more (been watching some of Nick Murray's videos tonight on YouTube to start). I knew you guys would point me in the right direction!
Old 7 July 2020, 03:07 PM   #9
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
Buy a 992 that fits your budget.

And if it’ll be a daily driver, don’t be afraid of a higher miler.

It means the major stuff has been done, the owner looked after it, and you can get a cracking deal.

The best used Porsche’s are ones that are driven.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2020, 03:18 PM   #10
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
Hey joey I just picked up a 992 C2 as a daily driver. I previously had the 991 when it was released in 2013.

Right now on in stock cars most dealers are offering 4-5% but 6-7% is doable for sure. Normally we’d be in 8% plus territory but inventory is somewhat scarce with Covid and the pending august shut down at the plant. I was able to get blue book on my trade plus 6% fwiw.

I went with a relatively modest car. I am a strong advocate for a base car and rwd. I have no intention of racing anyone and the base car with pdk is plenty fast and you can wring it out a bit more on public roads.

I drove my last c2 through buffalo ny winters with snow tires and had zero issues. Not sure why anyone would want the c4. If you get the awd I’d prolly go c4s to make up for the added weight. The c4s with pdk is damn near 991 turbo quick. They’ve really outdone themselves.

I know sechsgang has one so hopefully he chimes in. Seen him over at rennlist praising the 992.

I also know where a chalk c2 is that’s negotiable if you’re inclined.
Congrats!
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2020, 09:27 PM   #11
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SearChart View Post
Congrats!

Thx bas

Old 7 July 2020, 09:41 PM   #12
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
I wish I didn’t love the 992, but I do.

And I do think it’s better than the 991. Considering I have a 2019 991, that’s relatively meaningful.

That said, hard to go wrong with either.

Find the newest, lowest mile version you can comfortably afford. Definitely ensure you are getting a warranty car from dealer.

Value retention is great on these cars. So even a low mileage or high mileage version will likely shock you.

Hard to go wrong with literally any 911. I definitely prefer the wider butt tho. I also like AWD, but that’s very personal.

Color is also super subjective. I like earth tones. Lots of folks like purple or green.

PM if you like.

Or go to www.gsmotorclub.com. Lots of knowledgeable people there. It’s new, but getting a lot of traction. If you ask questions, you will get a lot of answers.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2020, 09:43 PM   #13
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

My 991. I’m impartial to targas. But the convertible is also growing on me.

Old 7 July 2020, 09:45 PM   #14
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

How do you post pics again?

It’s been a while...
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg BD3C1C1A-B1E7-45C3-B9C4-FFC9691D857D.jpeg (271.6 KB, 289 views)
File Type: jpeg 71B04875-A956-413E-9A7D-7C5CD62B6828.jpeg (284.9 KB, 287 views)

Old 7 July 2020, 10:01 PM   #15
BroncoOne
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carry The Interest View Post
Hi everyone!

Hope you and your loved ones are all doing well! Things in LA definitely seem to have become a lot more crazy here in LA during the past month. I haven't been on TRF regularly for the past month or so due to things being crazy with work.

I am looking to buy a new car in the next few months. For reference, I own a 6-cyl BMW Gran Coupe currently. It's been a fun car that's served me well the past 4 years. Thankfully things have been going really well at work for me and I am finally ready to turn one of my teenage dream's into a reality: buying a 911. Note that this will most likely be replacing my daily driver.

I know that there are a lot of Porsche owners here on TRF, so I thought I'd tap into the collective knowledge of our awesome community to get any tips and advice on the shopping/buying process. Also, if you're based in SoCal and have any recommendations on sales people/dealers you, feel free to PM me (Beverly Hills Porsche is 10 minutes away from me).

My (limited) experience with Porsche: I've only driven a 911 a few times but had a ton of fun driving it. This was my friend's 991 Carrera S (last gen platform). Given everything going on recently, I've held myself back from going to a dealership for some test drives (albeit, tempting).

What I am looking for: definitely a Carrera from the 911 family. I am also insistent on buying a 992 (current gen) which obviously eliminates the overwhelming majority of the used market. Specifically looking at the base model, S, 4, and 4S.

Finally, general questions I have for those with experience. Obviously, these are largely a matter of preference but that's one of the reasons why I am here asking owners with experience.

- RWD or AWD (4)?: I am guessing this one is the most "personal preference" of the list. I've watched a few videos that briefly address this topic. I live in LA (no crazy weather changes here) so don't need the AWD for practical reasons. I know some "purists" advocate for RWD but that the AWD variant does come with improved overall performance.

- S Upgrade?: This probably requires a test drive of both to see if I personally think the performance upgrade is worth the $16k. Open to thoughts here though, even if they are as simple as "if you're going for a 911 you need the S at minimum".

- Add-ons/Packages?: I've read online it generally makes sense to avoid a car that is heavily stacked with add-ons/packages. I am guessing that has to do with the lease math (e.g., add-ons are depreciated more aggressively) but assume it also applies to general value retention and ownership. Open to any thoughts on must-have's vs. things to avoid if possible.

- New or lightly used?: Given I am limiting the search to a 992, the used market is very limited but something I can continue to monitor. Does buying a very lightly used model make sense over buying brand new if I can find the right trim/combo I am looking for? From what I've read so far on Porsche CPO policy, buying a lightly used model seems just as good as going brand new.

- Discounts?: I have zero experience with buying a Porsche, so I am not sure what's considered a feasible discount off sticker price? Is a certain percentage a "must" and then it's a matter of negotiation for maybe a few more points? I completely understand this is likely going to be a much different experience from negotiating price on a BMW.

- Value Retention: This is related to some of my topics above. I know full well I am buying something that is going to depreciate immediately. That being said, do certain spec'd Carreras tend to hold value better than others? For instance, AWD vs RWD? Does the S upgrade make sense in the long haul since perhaps they're more desirable on the used market?

- Color: Saved a fun one for last. Any personal favorite color combo's? I for one am a total sucker for Chalk, which I think looks awesome on the 992. I also like the Aventurine Green as well. One thing I am certain of is I don't want to go black with this car (all my previous cars have been black; I think black hides some of the best parts of the 992's design).
If you go Porsche, whatever you get get a turbo edition.

Better yet, get an Audi R8 instead. Any one of the versions.
BroncoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2020, 10:03 PM   #16
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoOne View Post
If you go Porsche, whatever you get get a turbo edition.

Better yet, get an Audi R8 instead. Any one of the versions.
Not even the same sport.

Maybe when discussing the turbo. But that’s also a very different beast. Not that I disagree. Just not entirely realistic for many.

Old 8 July 2020, 01:40 AM   #17
Laszlo
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Date & No Date
The 992 has really grown on me. I’ve been thinking about upgrading my 981. There are some really good incentives out there for new. Maybe out here and due to shutdowns and surplus. Me personally would get a slightly optioned white Carrera with PDK. Nothing more than that needed on my end. But I really love my 981 and really don’t want to part with it.

Paul Henreid as Victor Laszlo in Casablanca
Laszlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2020, 01:47 AM   #18
Gold Crown
Banned

Watch: 6265 18K Daytona
Tip #1 buy a new Corvette its faster and a $100K cheaper. Get in line you might even be able to get one in a year or so.
Gold Crown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2020, 01:48 AM   #19
blassy
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610 LN, 16800
Man Seth. I swear I was never a targa fan till I saw yours. So beautiful.
If you want daily driving then newest is best. They got bigger, smoother and more luxurious with each iteration.
Spent some time in a 992 recently. Really is beautiful. Loved everything about it but still not sold on that back end.
Then I jump back into my 997 - the last great analogue Pcar and remember why I like the rough around the edges aspect of that car.
blassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2020, 01:55 AM   #20
Carry The Interest
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
I wish I didn’t love the 992, but I do.

And I do think it’s better than the 991. Considering I have a 2019 991, that’s relatively meaningful.

That said, hard to go wrong with either.

Find the newest, lowest mile version you can comfortably afford. Definitely ensure you are getting a warranty car from dealer.

Value retention is great on these cars. So even a low mileage or high mileage version will likely shock you.

Hard to go wrong with literally any 911. I definitely prefer the wider butt tho. I also like AWD, but that’s very personal.

Color is also super subjective. I like earth tones. Lots of folks like purple or green.

PM if you like.

Or go to www.gsmotorclub.com. Lots of knowledgeable people there. It’s new, but getting a lot of traction. If you ask questions, you will get a lot of answers.
Thanks, Seth. And hope you're doing well!

Agreed on the 992, although it was a burning desire for one at first sight for me. This update really pushed me to the point where I am finally ready to pull the trigger on one. In particular, I think the back profile of the car is an absolute home run. I know not everyone is a fan of the back fascia with the black tail lights going across the center but I think it's very complimentary to the car's overall design.
Old 8 July 2020, 02:28 AM   #21
CamSLC
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Patek
I had a 991 C2S with PDK in White. It was a well optioned car, but I think the two that stood out were the Sport Exhaust. And surprisingly the extended leather on the dash and doors. Resale was great after 15 months and 15k miles.

I really like the C4 look, and will consider it next time. But like GB-man shows, the base 911 is plenty and perfect.
CamSLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2020, 04:02 AM   #22
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

It’s been a while...

such a nice spec!

Will you wait for the 992 targa? Thank the lord all 992s are widebody now! Agree it makes a big difference.
Old 8 July 2020, 04:20 AM   #23
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
such a nice spec!

Will you wait for the 992 targa? Thank the lord all 992s are widebody now! Agree it makes a big difference.
I don't know brother.

I might even go for a Turbo Cab if I can get one. I really like the 992 that much.

But this is my spec. I waited months for it. Not sure I can part with it.

Loving yours. So sexy. Hard to look it as I like them so much.

Old 8 July 2020, 04:21 AM   #24
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Thanks, Seth. And hope you're doing well!

Agreed on the 992, although it was a burning desire for one at first sight for me. This update really pushed me to the point where I am finally ready to pull the trigger on one. In particular, I think the back profile of the car is an absolute home run. I know not everyone is a fan of the back fascia with the black tail lights going across the center but I think it's very complimentary to the car's overall design.
going great my man.

let me know if you ever want to chat. I would be happy to discuss.

Old 8 July 2020, 04:22 AM   #25
ckaynyc
"TRF" Member

Find a GTS in your budget.
ckaynyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2020, 04:22 AM   #26
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gold Crown View Post
Tip #1 buy a new Corvette its faster and a $100K cheaper. Get in line you might even be able to get one in a year or so.
So much prefer the C7.

Had an option for a black on black C8. I passed on it.

It is 100k less for a reason.

Great car. Not saying anything bad. I am a huge fan. But comparing very different animals.

Old 8 July 2020, 04:34 AM   #27
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
I have a 2012 (991) Cab. Best car I've ever owned, and I've had some fun cars, including an '89 911, an M3, etc.

I didn't really want a convertible, until I drove it. The 991s and 992s (I would guess) have the same profile as a coupe. Top down is really fun. If you go that route, consider a Targa, as they hold their value much better.

I think a 4 is mainly added complexity and added weight. For a street car in a warm climate, it seems like getting a 4 is a waste. I love mine in white, with a blue top. In warm climates, a non-black car is way more appealing to me. The chalk white is really cool, as are some of their gray/blues. I love a 7 speed manual, but I don't even recall if you can get a 992 with a stick yet.

Mine was a year old leftover, and I flew from Chicago to Hartford to buy it and drive it home. So if you're looking for a deal (992s may be too new to really find one), don't limit yourself geographically too much. Have fun!

Here's mine, with my buddy's '67 soft top targa. They have grown a bit over the years.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_2573.jpeg (232.4 KB, 211 views)
Old 8 July 2020, 05:43 AM   #28
m j b
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕& Ω
Quote:
Hi everyone!
Hi.

I've owned several 911s. 964, 993, 996, 997 and 991.1 S. All coupe. All used except for the 991 which I ordered. All manual transmissions, as God intended for sports cars to be. If you have to drive in LA traffic, then you'll get a pass on the PDK if you must.

Quote:
- RWD or AWD (4)?:
RWD. End of story.

Quote:
- S Upgrade?:
That is a tough one. I haven't driven the 992 so can't say. You need to decide that one yourself.
Quote:
- Add-ons/Packages?:
As few as possible. You'll get toasted on resale.

Quote:
- New or lightly used?:
There's nothing like the smell and feel of a new car that no one else has farted in. If you can find what you like/want at a substantial savings, then go for it.

Quote:
- Discounts?:
My last one was a 2014, and I think I got around 8% off. The market is different now, sales are down but so is production. Try not to pay MSRP.

Quote:
- Value Retention:
The only ones that hold their value well are the extremely limited editions, like the R or GT3.

Color is totally up to you. Avoid odd colors if you're concerned with resale.

Have fun shopping. Take your time.

Disclaimer: Please note that the avatar is not an accurate representation of how I look. The camera adds 10 pounds...
m j b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2020, 06:15 AM   #29
Spartacus
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:

It’s been a while...
Really nice. Manual, right? Really well spec’d.
Spartacus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2020, 08:25 AM   #30
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus View Post
Really nice. Manual, right? Really well spec’d.
Thank you.

Yes, Manual. I also opted for quite a few adders. They will significantly help resale. AWS, FAL, and things like ceramic brakes will all help in that regard. Stitching, houndstooth seats and some of the other accoutrements are expensive and don’t help. But they do add to the enjoyment of the car. I opted out of most of those.

This one will likely stay with me a long time. I do often dream about what could replace it. But I think it would be too painful to walk away from this one.