The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 29 October 2020, 10:55 PM   #1
Nucengineer
"TRF" Member

Watch: Navitmer 1 B01
Import duty from Japan

Just got word I owe $$ to DHL for my incoming Spring Drive. Is this common? It was inconclusive from the Japanese website whether import duty would be required or not.

Regards,

Jim
Nucengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2020, 10:58 PM   #2
supernova
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/Rolex
If the watch is coming from JP then obviously import charges are due as defined by your country of residence.

It is common as it's the law. It is also up to the individual importing to do their due diligence on what would be owed, not the website.
supernova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2020, 11:40 PM   #3
Nucengineer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by supernova View Post
If the watch is coming from JP then obviously import charges are due as defined by your country of residence.

It is common as it's the law. It is also up to the individual importing to do their due diligence on what would be owed, not the website.

It may be the law in some places but it is not a given (I have purchased from Gnomon Watches before and never paid duty/taxes in the US), that's why I was asking the question.

Regards,

Jim
Old 29 October 2020, 11:56 PM   #4
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

In my experience with DHl and international Fedex, I always end up paying import duties... so I think this is common and legally required if done by the book. Not sure if there is a threshold dollar amount

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
JR16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2020, 12:18 AM   #5
Nucengineer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR16 View Post
In my experience with DHl and international Fedex, I always end up paying import duties... so I think this is common and legally required if done by the book. Not sure if there is a threshold dollar amount

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Maybe that's why no import duty from Gnomon. May have been less than the threshold. Wonder what that threshold is for the US.

Regards,

Jim
Old 30 October 2020, 12:36 AM   #6
supernova
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucengineer View Post
It may be the law in some places but it is not a given (I have purchased from Gnomon Watches before and never paid duty/taxes in the US), that's why I was asking the question.

Well it’s a given if you go by the law, whether you are caught out and charged the taxes is a different story.

For a spring drive, I assume you will definitely be charged given the high value.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
supernova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2020, 03:39 AM   #7
wrxdev
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, Omega
DHL and FedEx estimate the high import tax and make you pay it. If the watch is shipped by EMS or JapanPost, then usually you don't end up paying import tax. By law, we are required to pay.
wrxdev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2020, 03:52 AM   #8
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Many of the import companies pay the duties that are due on your behalf, then bill you afterwards. Others use a middleman who pays, then bills.

It is very common with Asian imports and keeps you from having your shipment held up while awaiting payment from you.
Old 30 October 2020, 09:19 AM   #9
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
Quote:
Originally Posted by nucengineer View Post
maybe that's why no import duty from gnomon. May have been less than the threshold. Wonder what that threshold is for the us.
$800.
Old 30 October 2020, 10:41 AM   #10
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
I disputed FedEx successfully for trying to bill me for taxes on cut sapphires from Israel. Turns out we have a free trade agreement and FedEx ate it. Probably not the same for Japan but worth googling.
Old 30 October 2020, 11:38 PM   #11
Nucengineer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
Many of the import companies pay the duties that are due on your behalf, then bill you afterwards. Others use a middleman who pays, then bills.

It is very common with Asian imports and keeps you from having your shipment held up while awaiting payment from you.
That makes sense. They did pay it and I repaid DHL. My Spring Drive was supposed to show up today and they delivered it yesterday. Glad I paid them promptly. Thank you for the insight.

Regards,

Jim
Old 30 October 2020, 11:41 PM   #12
Nucengineer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
$800.
That would explain why no import duty on Gnomon purchase <$800. I was surprised with this as it was my first time I got hit with this tax.

Regards,

Jim
Old 30 October 2020, 11:57 PM   #13
Nucengineer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EEpro View Post
I disputed FedEx successfully for trying to bill me for taxes on cut sapphires from Israel. Turns out we have a free trade agreement and FedEx ate it. Probably not the same for Japan but worth googling.
Thanks for this post. I just looked up import duty on watches from Japan and found this: Chapter 91 of Japan import page shows watches and clocks are "FREE". Customs.go.jp "Duty rates for major products".

https://www.customs.go.jp/english/c-...kan/1204_e.htm

More to follow.....

Regards,

Jim
Old 1 November 2020, 06:54 PM   #14
Pongster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by supernova View Post

There’s usually a threshold. Below that value, no import duty.
Pongster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 November 2020, 06:04 AM   #15
Mifune
Banned

Ive ordered pieces from Japan and China... NEVER have I paid a duty. perhaps its state based?
Mifune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 November 2020, 06:07 AM   #16
Whineboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Credor GCLP993
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mifune View Post
Ive ordered pieces from Japan and China... NEVER have I paid a duty. perhaps its state based?

I don’t think so. Duties are determined by the Federal government. Sales taxes, if any, are handled by the states.

Whineboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 November 2020, 07:20 AM   #17
Nucengineer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mifune View Post

Going to call DHL tomorrow and see what they have say.

Regards,

Jim
Old 2 November 2020, 03:07 PM   #18
jimcarver
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thanks for this post. I just looked up import duty on watches from Japan and found this: Chapter 91 of Japan import page shows watches and clocks are "FREE". Customs.go.jp "Duty rates for major products".

https://www.customs.go.jp/english/c-...kan/1204_e.htm

More to follow.....
You seem to be mixing up imports and exports. I know that website, as I have used it to enquire about importing a watch into Japan (FYI, while you don't get hit with import duty, you do have to pay 10% sales tax).

You imported a watch into the USA, so you need to check the US site.

You mention in the original post "It was inconclusive from the Japanese website whether import duty would be required or not". Same reason, the Japanese seller is exporting the watch, its not their responsibility to list the import tariffs of every country in the world, (never mind individual states of the USA).
jimcarver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 November 2020, 10:41 PM   #19
thegrandseikoguy
"TRF" Member

If you are importing watches from anywhere into the US, then it is very important that you get the seller to split the watch value out between the movement, case, and strap/bracelet. These will all have different tariff codes.

Ideally, you want to put as much of the value against the movement, since the movement is taxed at a flat rate per piece (just a few bucks), whereas the case is taxed as a percentage of the value.

If someone ships you a watch and simply declares the value of the entire watch to be $5K, then you will will end up paying the case percentage tax against the entire declared value.

If someone ships you a watch and declares the value of the movement to be $4.5k, and the case $500 (and that is a perfectly valid split), then you will pay an order of magnitude less tax.

(as mentioned above, if the value of the watch is under $800, then you won't have to pay a dime in tax, although the courier may charge you a processing fee)

Kind regards,

Gerald.
thegrandseikoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 November 2020, 10:43 PM   #20
thegrandseikoguy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcarver View Post
You seem to be mixing up imports and exports. I know that website, as I have used it to enquire about importing a watch into Japan (FYI, while you don't get hit with import duty, you do have to pay 10% sales tax).

You imported a watch into the USA, so you need to check the US site.

You mention in the original post "It was inconclusive from the Japanese website whether import duty would be required or not". Same reason, the Japanese seller is exporting the watch, its not their responsibility to list the import tariffs of every country in the world, (never mind individual states of the USA).
But it IS their responsibility to declare the watch properly and against the correct tariff codes.

Kind regards,

Gerald.
Old 2 November 2020, 10:59 PM   #21
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Just got word I owe $$ to DHL for my incoming Spring Drive. Is this common? It was inconclusive from the Japanese website whether import duty would be required or not.
Yes, imports into the US are dutiable based on a number of factors.
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 November 2020, 11:58 AM   #22
jimcarver
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegrandseikoguy View Post
But it IS their responsibility to declare the watch properly and against the correct tariff codes.

Kind regards,

Gerald.
I very much doubt this is true. A Japanese seller is not responsible for USA import duty (or any other country) and is not required to be knowledgeable of each countries tariff codes. Lets say there is some bizarre rule that they responsible for this, how on earth is the USA customs going to penalize a Japanese seller?

It is the responsibility of the person receiving the goods.
Old 4 November 2020, 02:40 AM   #23
Mifune
Banned

its the buyers responsibility... once again, as a consumer, I have never been charged duties except from canada. audio equipment, timepieces... never charged.
Mifune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 November 2020, 04:15 AM   #24
southcarolina1801
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Yes, this is normal. The de minimis for imports to the US is $800 so anything over that will have duties and taxes owed.

I imported a Tuna last month and owed around $150 for taxes on it.

Source: I work in international business
southcarolina1801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 November 2020, 08:23 AM   #25
Nucengineer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Well it seems although there are no duty fees from Japan on Watches and Clocks to the USA, DHL charges Brokerage fees under the guise of Duty or import tariffs and/or fees.
Here is a relevant link:
https://www.reddit.com/r/PersonalFin..._dhl_shipping/

Regards,

Jim
Old 4 November 2020, 10:23 AM   #26
jimcarver
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Well it seems although there are no duty fees from Japan on Watches and Clocks to the USA, DHL charges Brokerage fees under the guise of Duty or import tariffs and/or fees.
Here is a relevant link:
https://www.reddit.com/r/PersonalFin..._dhl_shipping/
Not sure I would take a random Reddit thread as fact, particularly when the fees being discussed are between $5-20 and the only mention of watch value in any reply is $250.

Like you said, call DHL, ask what tariff code has been applied and just look that up online.
Old 7 November 2020, 04:39 PM   #27
thegrandseikoguy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcarver View Post
I very much doubt this is true. A Japanese seller is not responsible for USA import duty (or any other country) and is not required to be knowledgeable of each countries tariff codes. Lets say there is some bizarre rule that they responsible for this, how on earth is the USA customs going to penalize a Japanese seller?

It is the responsibility of the person receiving the goods.
I never once said that the shipper is responsible for the import duty. Where do you get that from?

The seller is responsible for *correctly describing the goods*. The buyer is responsible for paying the duty (and if applicable, sales tax) on those goods.

But feel free to ignore anything I have said.

If you - or anyone else here - want to deal with a seller who doesn't use the correct tariff codes, and you end up paying possibly 10-20x the amount of duty that you should have paid, go right ahead.
Old 20 May 2021, 02:16 PM   #28
Pop Alexandra
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegrandseikoguy View Post
I never once said that the shipper is responsible for the import duty. Where do you get that from?

The seller is responsible for *correctly describing the goods*. The buyer is responsible for paying the duty (and if applicable, sales tax) on those goods.

But feel free to ignore anything I have said.

If you - or anyone else here - want to deal with a seller who doesn't use the correct tariff codes, and you end up paying possibly 10-20x the amount of duty that you should have paid, go right ahead.
You are correct, of course, but people often confuse the responsibilities of sellers and customs. Thanks for trying to shed some light on the matter! :)
Pop Alexandra is offline   Reply With Quote