The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 12 December 2023, 03:28 AM   #31
NoCokeNoHope
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Deepsea
Quote:
Originally Posted by KateB View Post
Thank you so much for your kind words and advise as always. The 16710 was the first watch I got for myself. As much as I am still so in love with it, a replacement only reminds me of the first one and pained me so much. I made a big financial mistake pre pandemic. I was so focused on paying down my student loan and buying a condo, I pushed everything I can into my 401k and only keep enough each month for my necessities. I literally had no cash on hand when I got laid off. Instead of finding another source of income right away, I wasted so much time when I was still covered by severance pay trying to brush up my resume and looking for job. I'd never want to be in the same situation again. I am now focusing on building up at least a year of rainy day funds before I will consider buying a watch. :( In the meantime, I hope to learn as much as I can from this wonderful community!

I got curious about the Meteorite Daytona and found a collector on Instagram also tagging it as Iron Blood Daytona.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CyErxf5v...RlODBiNWFlZA==

I googled his name further and he has some articles about the variants. Unfortunately the google translate really sucks and I can only made out no more than 20% of the articles. Maybe some other Chinese speaking members can help out.

https://images.app.goo.gl/q2yQtSi8rkAsg3ZW7

That’s pretty much the only information I can find about the variants of the original Meteorite Daytona but can be a start for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
NoCokeNoHope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2023, 07:56 AM   #32
Benjay
Banned

Great story! thanks for sharing and a huge congrats to you.
Benjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2023, 12:24 AM   #33
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
It's a great watch, but...first I guess the question you're going to have to answer for yourself is whether you want the 16710 back or not?
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2023, 12:46 AM   #34
Wahlberg
"TRF" Member

This is a 35-40k watch, I would get the 16710 instead and keep the other money in the bank or invested.
Wahlberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2023, 01:38 AM   #35
Jackie Daytona
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 16750
Thanks for sharing your story. I enjoyed reading it and glad to hear that it sounds like everything worked out positively despite all the adversity.

I would say go for it. If you are in a good spot to do it, the watch would mean a lot and continue to do so I think as a bit of a reward to yourself through it all. On top of the perceived sentimental value it would have, it’s a pretty damn cool watch.
Old 13 December 2023, 09:14 AM   #36
Benjay
Banned

I love the red hands, nice story thanks for sharing.
Benjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2023, 10:07 AM   #37
JTL31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wahlberg View Post
This is a 35-40k watch, I would get the 16710 instead and keep the other money in the bank or invested.
+1 for now…based on your comment, “I’d never want to be in the same situation again.” When/if your financial situation changes to the point where you feel comfortable putting that amount of money on your wrist you can always put the 16710 towards the trade. Btw…I commend you for your perseverance!
JTL31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2023, 11:33 AM   #38
piratfisk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16233, 116619LB
Your dedication & laser-focus is commendable. I was the same way with my 116619LB. When I saw it, I knew I had to have that specific one. Keep putting money away when you can & you'll get it. Keeping food in your belly, a roof over your head & your debts at bay is more important, though. Good things [usually] come to those who wait, though! I look forward to seeing your INCOMING!!!! post.

Wishlist: 128236; 5396G; 15550ST; 384.029
piratfisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2023, 01:55 PM   #39
MSL997
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500 & 116520s
The iron blood is a smoken watch and a total discount compared to the outgoing meteorite dials. I have recently started researching all the meteorite daytonas, it is interesting that they come in and out of production. I say DO IT because with Daytona one can never be wrong and the path of least resistance is always higher.
Old 13 December 2023, 10:40 PM   #40
1665fan
"TRF" Member

Old meteorite dial is 10 times better than the new one and should be worth more $$$
1665fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2023, 04:45 AM   #41
KateB
"TRF" Member

Watch: AK14000 & GMT16710
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoCokeNoHope View Post
I got curious about the Meteorite Daytona and found a collector on Instagram also tagging it as Iron Blood Daytona.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CyErxf5v...RlODBiNWFlZA==

I googled his name further and he has some articles about the variants. Unfortunately the google translate really sucks and I can only made out no more than 20% of the articles. Maybe some other Chinese speaking members can help out.

https://images.app.goo.gl/q2yQtSi8rkAsg3ZW7

That’s pretty much the only information I can find about the variants of the original Meteorite Daytona but can be a start for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
:o Wow so many Meteorite Daytona in the article. Too bad I don't have the translate extension in my work computer. I surely will get to it later tonight. :) Thank you so much! I really appreciate the info!
KateB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2023, 05:11 AM   #42
KateB
"TRF" Member

Watch: AK14000 & GMT16710
Quote:
Originally Posted by watchwatcher View Post
It's a great watch, but...first I guess the question you're going to have to answer for yourself is whether you want the 16710 back or not?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wahlberg View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie Daytona View Post
Thanks for sharing your story. I enjoyed reading it and glad to hear that it sounds like everything worked out positively despite all the adversity.

I would say go for it. If you are in a good spot to do it, the watch would mean a lot and continue to do so I think as a bit of a reward to yourself through it all. On top of the perceived sentimental value it would have, it’s a pretty damn cool watch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjay View Post
I love the red hands, nice story thanks for sharing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTL31 View Post
+1 for now…based on your comment, “I’d never want to be in the same situation again.” When/if your financial situation changes to the point where you feel comfortable putting that amount of money on your wrist you can always put the 16710 towards the trade. Btw…I commend you for your perseverance!
Quote:
Originally Posted by piratfisk View Post
Your dedication & laser-focus is commendable. I was the same way with my 116619LB. When I saw it, I knew I had to have that specific one. Keep putting money away when you can & you'll get it. Keeping food in your belly, a roof over your head & your debts at bay is more important, though. Good things [usually] come to those who wait, though! I look forward to seeing your INCOMING!!!! post.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSL997 View Post
The iron blood is a smoken watch and a total discount compared to the outgoing meteorite dials. I have recently started researching all the meteorite daytonas, it is interesting that they come in and out of production. I say DO IT because with Daytona one can never be wrong and the path of least resistance is always higher.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1665fan View Post
Old meteorite dial is 10 times better than the new one and should be worth more $$$
Thank you so much all for your kind words. In fact I spent only a few hundred dollars from the sale of the 16710 before I found a contract job. I did tried to find another 16710 but the price just kept going up that time. I feel so stupid. I did thought about "upgrading" to a 1675 (as it is still reachable for me) but I really don't know anything about it. My best guess, if I don't get the axe again, I maybe able to reach my goal for 1 year of rainy days fund in the next two months and start saving/investing for the Iron Blood Daytona, which may take years :(. So in the meantime, I really hope to use this period to learn everything about it (to keep me focus and won't accidentally splurge it on some silly stuff.
KateB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2023, 05:18 AM   #43
Joearch

Watch: Daytona + GMT BLNR
Quote:
Thank you so much for sharing the valuable information! Please teach me more. I wonder if there is any variation of the vintage Meteorite Daytona that affect the price? I understand that each meteorite dial is unique, but the asking prices on eBay and Chrono24 varies by a very wide range (from high 20K to 70K) for the same reference and both with Box and Papers. I tried to look for more details but those listings don't really say much. The lowest I have seen is from Japan, asking price is lower than the steel Daytona. The only notable difference I can see is some examples come with all black hour and minute hands and some has lumed hands.
I have not seen black hands. Sometimes in the photos the hands and roman numerals look black due to reflections. As mentioned in a previous post excellent full set examples can be had for high $30’s - $low 40’s. One might think the value will remain in a relative way if there was an unlikely reoccurrence of your prior unpleasant experience. Hard to measure others experience with other references but these older WG Daytona meteorite are a timeless classic. IMHO eclipsing the more recent, now discontinued models. The 16710 is a solid watch. The watch you’re considering is a much different animal. Check your PM.
Joearch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2023, 09:43 AM   #44
sien
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Lover
Good reference you are going for, thank you for sharing this.
sien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2023, 10:20 PM   #45
Wahlberg
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thank you so much all for your kind words. In fact I spent only a few hundred dollars from the sale of the 16710 before I found a contract job. I did tried to find another 16710 but the price just kept going up that time. I feel so stupid. I did thought about "upgrading" to a 1675 (as it is still reachable for me) but I really don't know anything about it. My best guess, if I don't get the axe again, I maybe able to reach my goal for 1 year of rainy days fund in the next two months and start saving/investing for the Iron Blood Daytona, which may take years :(. So in the meantime, I really hope to use this period to learn everything about it (to keep me focus and won't accidentally splurge it on some silly stuff.
16710s are trending down towards 10k usd. I hope they go below the 10k mark again.

I assume you sold yours for around this mark or a bit less, so you didn't lose anything. I also dont' see them going up to 15k again. So don't worry about time.
Wahlberg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
daytona , meteorite daytona