The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 30 September 2021, 04:51 PM   #31
Linuxpenguins
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD4k - Sky D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt View Post
You may be correct.
I saw one the other day beside a 116660 D-blue in a used watch dealer's display. The asking price for the Sea-Dweller was higher by a good margin and they both looked wonderful with box and papers
It really does not surprise me. There are 7 for sale on Chrono24 within the U.K. - compared to hundreds of Submariners.

Ω Swatch X Omega Mission to Jupiter (SO33C100)
Linuxpenguins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 October 2021, 01:37 AM   #32
Chadridv
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV
It's definitely a beloved watch that seems to have been under-appreciated in it's time. However, while the lugs and case diameter were near perfect, I always found it to be too thick. I do love the crystal and dial sans cyclops.

Aside from the cyclops though they've basically made the perfect diver in the Sub41. It's more or less still 40mm, the lugs look great and the thickness is proportionally correct IMO. I think i'd prefer to wear that.
Chadridv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 October 2021, 04:52 AM   #33
Linuxpenguins
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD4k - Sky D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadridv View Post
It's definitely a beloved watch that seems to have been under-appreciated in it's time. However, while the lugs and case diameter were near perfect, I always found it to be too thick. I do love the crystal and dial sans cyclops.

Aside from the cyclops though they've basically made the perfect diver in the Sub41. It's more or less still 40mm, the lugs look great and the thickness is proportionally correct IMO. I think i'd prefer to wear that.
Each to their own. :)

Ω Swatch X Omega Mission to Jupiter (SO33C100)
Linuxpenguins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 October 2021, 06:11 AM   #34
telesquire
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linuxpenguins View Post
It really does not surprise me. There are 7 for sale on Chrono24 within the U.K. - compared to hundreds of Submariners.
Why the surprise? The Sea Dweller was never that popular....about .001% of owners ever needed its capabilities. The Submariner will always be the defacto SS Rolex sports watch of choice of the masses especially back in the period of plenty (2014)
Had it been such a hugely successful seller then the need to drastically alter it would not have happened. Sales must have been stagnating. The fact that dealers and owners (yes you) are talking it up to make everyone believe they want one is inevitable in todays 'must have it' market. Look at the Explorer....the watch every dealer always had sat in the window for ages is now hot property, thanks to Instagram, influencers and some funky aftermarket straps....now we all think we need a 36mm plain watch and they are selling for not far off twice list price. Anyway enjoy it, they are a great watch....and carry on bigging it up lol, you are doing a might fine job...
telesquire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 October 2021, 06:18 AM   #35
harvey
"TRF" Member

…I tried one on, found it to be bland/boring. The SD43 is a much better reference, so I bought that instead.
harvey is offline   Reply With Quote