The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 17 February 2017, 01:11 PM   #181
vukotab
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing movies!
Well...
I was disappointed mainly with Tag Heuer watches. I had a few when I was (much) younger and never stick to any of them, despite liking some of the designs.
Recently, I tried Tag Heuer Formula 1 GMT Calibre 7, their "homage" to BLNR and was pretty underwhelmed with overall quality, bracelet, clasp...many things just didn't feel right. Again, I dig the design, a mix of old-school cushion-type cases and modern color combination, but there is always something missing, at least for me...

Also, I found Omega Seamaster Pro mid-size too small, and Tudor Black Bay bronze too large, though I still love the design and that fantastic bronze color...
vukotab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2017, 09:53 PM   #182
Greg5512
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Big Block
This may be blasphemy but BLNR

I've had Sub C twice, Sub C with date, and BLNR...just can't get into the ceramic models... traded BLNR towards a 1675 GMT...

Realizing 4 and 5 digit references are it for me...especially the vintage models
Greg5512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2017, 10:44 PM   #183
youthagainsttt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Piaget,Rolex,AP,HB
JLC Reverso Grande Calendar

This watch had a gorgeous moon phase as well but in the end it is a bit too understated in the 'watch game' (as CRM jewellers' Eric would say), not versatile enough and prone to scratches (which show v easily).

Especially in a saturated watch market such as Hong Kong, there are so many watch-conscious people here it's normal to choose one to stand out from the crowd and make a statement. The reverso is classy but was too stealthy for me
youthagainsttt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2017, 11:18 PM   #184
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by HOHO View Post
Rolex Daytona. I found it just a little small and REALLY hard to read!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg5512 View Post
This may be blasphemy but BLNR

I've had Sub C twice, Sub C with date, and BLNR...just can't get into the ceramic models... traded BLNR towards a 1675 GMT...

Realizing 4 and 5 digit references are it for me...especially the vintage models
No harm in that
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2017, 01:04 PM   #185
Jim P
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub,Exp1&2,YM,Milg
Non-ceramic Subs due to that bracelet! Love my 116100! Perfection
Jim P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2017, 09:29 PM   #186
chemistman
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR, Exp II, SubC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffes4closers View Post
My list here is unfortunately quite long...

All omegas feel insignificant on the wrist and/or low end
Daytonas feel small and too light, except for the platona
Sub no date - never "got it"
42mm explorer II... feels unbalanced to me. Oddly enough though, my 41mm DJ2 is perfect on the wrist.
Tudor pelagos - too plain and no "pop"
Totally agree with your comments on omega. I tried to like them and owned two but end up flipping both after a few weeks. First was a speedy moon - hand winding felt like the gears were full of sand. Rolex was butter smooth, and I had better winding experience on some Seiko autos. Good looking watch though and that's about it.

Next was a PO chrono. For a 4-5k watch you would expect a solid build. But no - rotating bezel is a piece of sh*t and the whole thing is wonky. I thought it was broken but after a bit of research this happens quite a bit and is apparently normal. When you screw in the screw down crown you are actually still winding the movement- doesn't happen on a Rolex.

Oh and the orange paint on the second hand faded to white color after just 2 years (apparently normal too).

Omegas sure do look great on magazine covers, and they should just stay there away from my wrist.

Many people tried to have Rolex vs omega comparison . Imho There is no contest to begin with.
chemistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2017, 10:32 PM   #187
Xerxes77
Banned

AP ROO and his chrono module who make a lot of problems!
Xerxes77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2017, 01:29 AM   #188
toxicavenger
"TRF" Member

Watch: Seiko's
In person the 16570 and the 16610 totally underwhelmed me. I sold them both and got a SD. I loved it but it was just to tall.
toxicavenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2017, 01:50 AM   #189
Tmac478
"TRF" Member

Watch: RG Skydweller
Quote:
Originally Posted by subtona View Post
Daytona was a disappointment for me,
Not because I didn't like everything about it: perfect size, style, construction, movement, history...but I just couldn't read the time on it.
Same here. Really struggled telling time on that watch. I flipped my Daytona faster than any other watch I've owned. Only difference: for me the size was wrong too. Looked really small on my wrist.
Tmac478 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2017, 12:26 AM   #190
vincent22
"TRF" Member

Watch that completely disappointed you?

Not a complete disappointment, but I wish the IWC Pilot Mark XVIII Le Petit is 42 or 43mm. Exact same design. I think it's the best dial design of IWC
vincent22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2017, 02:25 AM   #191
AltiTudor
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xerxes77 View Post
AP ROO and his chrono module who make a lot of problems!
I don't know about "a lot"... I've had mine for 12 years with zero issues.
AltiTudor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2017, 04:15 PM   #192
vman
"TRF" Member

Watch: less TV
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim P View Post
Non-ceramic Subs due to that bracelet! Love my 116100! Perfection
You and me both... The first time I handled a Rolex, I thought that the salesman gave me a fake--the bracelet did not seem to be real when compared to the other watches I had handled in the past. I still cannot believe that Rolex got away with that.
Old 18 April 2017, 10:11 PM   #193
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
Quote:
Originally Posted by vman View Post
You and me both... The first time I handled a Rolex, I thought that the salesman gave me a fake--the bracelet did not seem to be real when compared to the other watches I had handled in the past. I still cannot believe that Rolex got away with that.
Yeah every time I saw a Rolex before I thought "what a crappy clasp and bracelet" the bracelet was really a bad joke, finally got one when they changed these 2 parts to something normal...
lapince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2017, 05:26 PM   #194
dadonn2
"TRF" Member

The BLNR. Got it in the summer of 2014. Was my first Rolex. Didn't know it was such a sought after piece. I found it wore small and the half a blue bezel was okay but lacked oomph.
dadonn2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2017, 06:19 PM   #195
faz
"TRF" Member

Watch: like'em all
Tudor watches. Some look great in pictures and are mostly a forum darling ( bang for the buck phrase used a lot with them), but every time I see them in person at AD, they just don't look right to me. Somewhat toy looking (to me).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Instagram @fazmoto
faz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2017, 07:27 PM   #196
alhamady89
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513
Really the biggest disappointment wasn't a watch, it was its condition. I bought a 1016 explorer watch which was a bit cheap at that time (2014), found the case was a serviced case. I think I didn't studied enough before buying one . Gave it to my father as a gift.

alhamady89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2017, 07:51 PM   #197
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by faz View Post
Tudor watches. Some look great in pictures and are mostly a forum darling ( bang for the buck phrase used a lot with them), but every time I see them in person at AD, they just don't look right to me. Somewhat toy looking (to me).

Agreed. They don't have that wow factor when you see them in person like rolex has.
991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2017, 01:31 AM   #198
mr500cm
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner
Tag Heuer.....had a divers watch for years, had it serviced by Tag in NJ it took 2 months to service a quartz movement and got back a completely different watch. My watch had a silver dial and brown leather band the watch I got back had a black dial and a black band and oh well its overhauled. Never again.
mr500cm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2017, 01:32 AM   #199
Goin2drt
Banned

Tudor Heritage Blue.
Goin2drt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2019, 04:30 AM   #200
wx_073
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Omega Planet Ocean 42mm with 8500 movement. I felt like wearing hockey puck on my wrist, sold it after few months. To be honest Tudor Black bay GMT gave me the same feelings.....as result watch sold already.
wx_073 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2019, 03:00 AM   #201
Frits1980
"TRF" Member

Tudor Black Bay:
To thick and the 41 size kind of ruins the vintage appeal. Also having a 20 watch collection incl subs makes it hard to give the black bay a place and purpose. Flipping will not make a dent so i will try putting it on a rubber strap and make it my beach/pool watch.

Breguet Marine Big Date:
Beautiful watch in pictures and off the wrist. However on the wrist it just looks a bit weird with those lugs. The rubber strap flares out which is something i realy dislike. I have put it on a OEM leather strap which improved the look but now makes it a difficult watch to pair. To dressy for casual and to sporty for formal. Stunning watch do and a steel buying it used.

Royal Oak 15450:
Was torn between the 15400 and the 15450 ('7+ wrist). Read some post saying the 15450 wears like a pre-ceramic sub which is a perfect size for me so i got it. Damn thing wears smaller then a DJ 36. The tiny dial is the issue and not the 37mm case. In the mirror it looks like im wearing my wifes watch. I still have to flip this one. Bought the 15400 couple months later. Buy the 15450 only if you have (small) '6 wrists. Pics closeup are deceiving with this one. The 15450 wears small and a lot smaller then a pre-sub

Blancpain Bathyscape:
Fantastic movement and something different then a Rolex Sub. But 43mm with that large dial makes the Bathy look cheap sometimes. Cant get over the fashion watch similarities. Would have been one of my favorites do if they made it in 40/41mm
Frits1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2019, 03:19 AM   #202
tudorbaja27
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor & Cartier
Quote:
Originally Posted by 991 View Post
Agreed. They don't have that wow factor when you see them in person like rolex has.
Agreed. They suck
Old 12 February 2019, 04:20 AM   #203
scarlet knight
"TRF" Member

Watch: Good ones
JLC Geophysique. Bought it on impulse because it was new and a limited edition. Grew to dislike the faux patina hand color.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
scarlet knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2019, 09:00 AM   #204
yugxelor
"TRF" Member

Watch: RG Yatch-Master
For me personally it was a 36mm DateJust with Roulette Date. The roulette date was my primary reason for purchasing. I just love the novelty of it, but I don't think it has the thousands of dollars worth of novelty that I originally thought it had.

However, my most disappointing Rolex to ever try on was the Daytona. I still think its a great watch, and I would love to add one to my collection. But even after trying on the White Face, Black Dial grail that so many are dying to get their hands on, the *feel* wasn't near what I had hoped for after all the hype. It was a gift for my dad from my grandmother for his Bday, and we ultimately ended up walking out with a RG/Matte Black YM on Rubber.
yugxelor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2019, 10:17 AM   #205
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Trilogy railmaster omega
ap1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2019, 09:21 PM   #206
ts3
"TRF" Member

IWC GST Ti Chrono

The rotor noise was terrible and the blasted Ti looked awful if and wherever it got scratched. Did not work as a tool watch for me and had to go although I still like the design.

Patek 5167A

This one felt too large for my small wrists and did not wow me when trying it on, not even compared to my beat up IWC Mark XV. Yet I am still drawn to the 5167 on pics (and to the smaller 5165), but I keep reminding myself how underwhelming it felt in the metal and picked up a 3998 and a 5711 instead.
ts3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2019, 04:42 AM   #207
myporsche
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex♠Lange
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet knight View Post
JLC Geophysique. Bought it on impulse because it was new and a limited edition. Grew to dislike the faux patina hand color.

Really surprised to hear this, do you still own it? I was aggressively shopping for one at one point and passed on two great deals (gut feeling).
myporsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2019, 05:41 AM   #208
scarlet knight
"TRF" Member

Watch: Good ones
I no longer own the JLC Geophysic. It was part of a 3 for 1 trade for the watch below. I didn’t hate it, I just didn’t bond with it.

scarlet knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2019, 05:43 AM   #209
tom2517
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenophon View Post
My Patek Aquanaut. I long wanted a PP and shortly after getting it I thought it looked cheap and tinny. I failed to see the wow factor once I got it on my wrist.
Yeah, I always felt it's not for someone with a thick wrist. Aquanaut is just a meh watch for me.

As for me personally, I can't say I have bought any watch that have completely disappointed me, but I can find some disappointment in all the watches that I own.

For instance I wish the finishing in 5970 and 5131 was better, the finishing in my Eichi II while impeccable, the case is a bit old fashioned, I wish it had a more modern case. The enamel on my Hermes Tiger watch is great, but the movement in the back is ugly and it should have a deployant buckle for a 90,000 CHF watch.

I haven't found the perfect watch, don't think it exists anyways.
tom2517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2019, 08:08 AM   #210
MTBer
"TRF" Member

Sadly, the 16610LV. Tried on a new one a little over 10 years ago, first time I ever touched a Rolex. Comparing it to my brand new Seamaster, I couldn't believe what Rolex was charging for a bracelet that felt like it was pulled from a $200 Seiko. This pretty much affirmed the early WIS phase for me where you think "Rolex is a ripoff".

Still kicking myself for not getting it anyway because it remains my favorite styled watch. The LVc is just too much green, and the ceramic bezel color doesn't do it for me anyway. Sure, I could liquidate the majority of my collection and buy a good LV in excellent condition, but that's one expensive ticket to ride the hype train at this point
MTBer is offline   Reply With Quote