The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 5 January 2018, 05:11 PM   #31
Canook
"TRF" Member

Watch: too many to list
Quote:
12. Forgetting That It's Just A Watch – And You Don't Need One
Huh???
-16610LV KERMIT
-116600 SD4000....16612 Yachtmaster- 16710 PEPSI
-216570(polar)
-
-Yachtmaster II 116688 126300 Datejust 41 jubilee

* Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons *
Canook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2018, 05:19 PM   #32
joe100
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Explorer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canook View Post
Huh???
Some people take this WAY too seriously
Old 5 January 2018, 05:52 PM   #33
ancientmariner
"TRF" Member

Enjoyed the read
ancientmariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2018, 09:49 PM   #34
Thuilln
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570
Quote:
Originally Posted by farscott View Post
I have to admit that I have never seen the appeal of the Omega Speedmaster, and I have never been able to bring myself to purchase one. I have looked at more than one, been offered good deals on more than a few, and I just do not see it. The watch is hard for me to read, the dial is cluttered, and I do not like the bracelet. Plus it is awful big.

I must be deficient as the watch not only does not sing to me; it screeches to me like an off-key performance of the Star Spangled Banner. It has to be me as everyone else seems to love it, and I also am not a fan of the Daytona.
Hard to read??? You must be blind, for one thing...

Old 5 January 2018, 10:03 PM   #35
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Good article.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2018, 11:27 PM   #36
The Argonaut
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Master 16750
Agreed. I’ve been living without an Omega Speedy for all my life. I don’t think I’m missing anything. Also, the watch has never appealed to me. It’s just too busy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Argonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2018, 11:47 PM   #37
10klakes
"TRF" Member

Watch: Collector
Deployment vs deployant. The more you know.....

10klakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2018, 11:59 PM   #38
Trek737
"TRF" Member

Benjamin Clymer and his Hodinkee utube videos have been my favorite source for learning and admiring beautiful time pieces. Thanks for the informative post.
Trek737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2018, 12:03 AM   #39
OcdRob
"TRF" Member

I could add that you should buy what you like and not what you are told to like, I think #8 touches on this a bit. If I had been active on this forum when I bought my first Rolex I may not have chosen the DJ2. I am so happy I didnt know I wasnt supposed to like this model as it still puts a big smile on my face everytime I wear it.
OcdRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2018, 12:16 AM   #40
jrs146
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me Nae Nae
Well written article. Normally articles that write about a “list” of things are silly and a stretch. This wells actually very good!

Old 6 January 2018, 12:45 AM   #41
Tangier11
Banned

Watch: ROLEX
Thanks for posting. Dont like the speedmaster sorry
Tangier11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2018, 12:45 AM   #42
Widows Son
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thuilln View Post
The Speedmaster dial is a heck of a lot easier to read than a Daytona!!!!
Widows Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2018, 01:29 AM   #43
xspect
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I have to admit that I have never seen the appeal of the Omega Speedmaster, and I have never been able to bring myself to purchase one.
I used to think the exact same way. Until I got one in on a trade. I thought I would flip it quickly. It has graduated to my daily.
xspect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2018, 01:41 AM   #44
encarter13
"TRF" Member

Interesting read. Thanks for posting.
Old 6 January 2018, 02:19 AM   #45
tng11
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I have to admit that I have never seen the appeal of the Omega Speedmaster, and I have never been able to bring myself to purchase one. I have looked at more than one, been offered good deals on more than a few, and I just do not see it. The watch is hard for me to read, the dial is cluttered, and I do not like the bracelet. Plus it is awful big.

I must be deficient as the watch not only does not sing to me; it screeches to me like an off-key performance of the Star Spangled Banner. It has to be me as everyone else seems to love it, and I also am not a fan of the Daytona.
Agreed. I bought one just for the heck of it and after all the voices telling me that I must have one to be a real watch collector in November, and didn't connect with it all. It's oversized for my wrist and I don't get the appeal of the plastic crystal. I also found the dial busy and cluttered.

I let a friend have it for my cost (my AD gave me a giant discount) and he is over the moon with it. Different strokes for different folks.

(My 1000th post btw! )
tng11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2018, 02:24 AM   #46
off
"TRF" Member

Watch: DaytonaC & GMT
I have been guilty of committing many of those mistakes, but part of it is what makes watch collecting such a unique and enjoyable hobby.

I completely understand those who do not like the looks of a three dial chronograph. For some, it looks busy, perhaps there is still the stigma of a tool watch. This correlates completely with the '60's and '70's, with the SS tool models plentiful and sitting of shelves. Rolex was different then, it was about survival, making at the time more desirable Datejusts and Day-Dates.

For me, to enjoy the looks of the Daytona means a enjoying the looks of of a Speedy as well. Plus the historic significance as well.
off is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2018, 04:37 AM   #47
farscott
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thuilln View Post
Not blind, but my eyes are not the best. I am both extremely near-sighted as well as suffering from aging eyes that struggle to focus up close. My test for legibility is harsh as it involves a very brief glance under fluorescent light or sunlight to pick up the time. The chronographs, with their sub-dials and multiple hands, are harder to read with a quick glance than a simple three-hand timepiece. This test also places a premium on a dial with minimalist markings as well as lots of contrast between the hands and dial.

The one thing I do like about the Speedmaster is the white hands against the black dial. Black dials usually do quite well for me, especially with gold hands.
farscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2018, 06:54 AM   #48
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Quote:
Not blind, but my eyes are not the best. I am both extremely near-sighted as well as suffering from aging eyes that struggle to focus up close. My test for legibility is harsh as it involves a very brief glance under fluorescent light or sunlight to pick up the time. The chronographs, with their sub-dials and multiple hands, are harder to read with a quick glance than a simple three-hand timepiece. This test also places a premium on a dial with minimalist markings as well as lots of contrast between the hands and dial.

The one thing I do like about the Speedmaster is the white hands against the black dial. Black dials usually do quite well for me, especially with gold hands.
Agreed.
The Speedy is great if you're the cream of the crop Naval Aviator/Astronaut with 20/20 vision.

Some people criticise watches for having cluttered dials making them hard to read and then go and get a chronograph and think it's great.
The speedy is really great at what it does and IMO is better than any Daytona.
I think if one is going to have a Chronograph in their collection the Speedy is virtually a staple in what ever flavour floats your boat.
I too toyed with the idea of getting one for quite a while but decided I'm just not that into it at the end of the day. This goes for any Chronograph for that matter and have never owned one. Too cluttered for the purpose of simply reading the time and a simple graduated rotating divers bezel is all the complication I need aside from a central seconds hand and Date for all day to day functionality no matter where I am in the world or travelling.
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2018, 06:56 AM   #49
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Quote:
Originally Posted by tng11 View Post
Agreed. I bought one just for the heck of it and after all the voices telling me that I must have one to be a real watch collector in November, and didn't connect with it all. It's oversized for my wrist and I don't get the appeal of the plastic crystal. I also found the dial busy and cluttered.

I let a friend have it for my cost (my AD gave me a giant discount) and he is over the moon with it. Different strokes for different folks.

(My 1000th post btw! )
Congrats on the 1000th

Hesalite is a gold standard and perfectly fit for purpose on that watch.
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote