The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Panerai Discussion Forum

Old 21 March 2022, 08:03 AM   #1
shammad10
"TRF" Member

New Panerai broken

I bought my first new Panerai submersible from the boutique- was pleased with it at the time.
I was about to buy it, but decided to look at it under the loupe and found a few large bits of dust etc under the crystal on the dial. I showed the SA who said that it would need to go back and he got me another one out.

That quality control should’ve been my first clue that Panerai wasn’t quite up to scratch.

I have been really enjoying the watch- the lack of hacking seconds is annoying as I couldn’t set the watch properly- but who cares really, other than I was suspicious that it was running around 10s quick a day or so.

Over the last few days its been running 4 minutes fast every hour!!!! It’s not magnetised, I used my mates demagnetiser on it and no luck. It’s obviously under warranty and I’ll take it back to the boutique next week- but that is really disappointing.
Have never had this kind of issue with Rolex, Omega or IWC. It kind of tarnishes the brand a bit and at the moment I am tempted to get it sorted and just sell it.
shammad10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2022, 08:11 AM   #2
JorgeCCW
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex,Patek and AP
Sorry to hear that , I had never have any issues with Panerai. I had one 1 issue with a Daytona before and another one with a AP RO , that’s it.
All I have to say is S… happens , you know.
Hope you get everything sort it out
Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Nothing happens until something moves "
Albert Einstein
JorgeCCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2022, 10:30 AM   #3
6XYBE63ST
Banned

mine broke first night, sent it back in december. suppose to be here end of the month...
6XYBE63ST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2022, 01:49 PM   #4
thsiao
"TRF" Member

All brands have QC problems… and if you use a loupe you will definitely find flaws in any watch. I hope they resolve your issue quickly!
Old 21 March 2022, 09:28 PM   #5
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Sorry to hear. Take it back and they will sort it out.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2022, 11:18 PM   #6
shammad10
"TRF" Member

Thanks, yeah will take it back to them on the weekend.
I understand that it’s just luck of the draw, but it quite frustrating to happen less than 2 months from new. And not ideal to need to be sent off for a fix for months!
Old 21 March 2022, 11:21 PM   #7
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Bad luck. Hope you get it sorted quickly
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2022, 11:46 PM   #8
walds11
"TRF" Member

Good luck. I had to send my 42mm Submersible PAM 959 to PASC because it was running fast AF. It came back running great, but had to go back because there were marks on the back of the case. They rectified the issue, door-to-door about a week. Fast, but still frustrating. This was late 2020/early 2021.
Old 22 March 2022, 01:23 AM   #9
shammad10
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by walds11 View Post
Good luck. I had to send my 42mm Submersible PAM 959 to PASC because it was running fast AF. It came back running great, but had to go back because there were marks on the back of the case. They rectified the issue, door-to-door about a week. Fast, but still frustrating. This was late 2020/early 2021.
Ah okay, glad that went well for you. A week would be great- just dreading them telling me that it’ll take months to sort out from what I’ve been reading of other users panerai service experience!
Old 22 March 2022, 03:13 AM   #10
Ravager135
"TRF" Member

Panerai is not the only brand I have had quality control issues with, but it was the most frequent. I have owned 8 different Panerai at one time or another and I have had movement issues with at least half of them. Their 8 Day manual wind movements tend to run really fast when fully wound. I have never had this issue with IWC who also offers 8 day power reserves. I hate to say it, but my most reliable Panerai were my 005 and 024 which had ETA movements.
Ravager135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2022, 05:08 AM   #11
waterman1
2024 Pledge Member

I think you will find Panerai service to be top notch. I had an issue with my 979 a year ago and had to send in. They had it back to me in about 10 days. I was very impressed.
waterman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2022, 05:32 AM   #12
mobster600
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes
All being said, if and when you need a watch serviced, Panerai Service is amazing. I had a wiggly bezel, 9 sec+ day. They fixed the bezel, it has no wiggle and clicks very satisfyingly. It's only 2 sec + a day which is amazing, 9010 mvmt btw. They also put new gaskets and pressure tested it. I also got a travel case when it came back. All I paid was $250 including shipping back. Only took 10 days as well. I'm very pleased with the brand.
mobster600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2022, 05:42 AM   #13
Ravager135
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobster600 View Post
All being said, if and when you need a watch serviced, Panerai Service is amazing. I had a wiggly bezel, 9 sec+ day. They fixed the bezel, it has no wiggle and clicks very satisfyingly. It's only 2 sec + a day which is amazing, 9010 mvmt btw. They also put new gaskets and pressure tested it. I also got a travel case when it came back. All I paid was $250 including shipping back. Only took 10 days as well. I'm very pleased with the brand.
This is true. Despite having issues with the brand, their service is very quick compared to competitors. I hear stories of people's watches coming back scuffed, etc but that's never been my experience.
Ravager135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2022, 02:44 AM   #14
6XYBE63ST
Banned

it's not that quick in this day and age, i sent mine back dec. 11th 2021. still waiting......
6XYBE63ST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2022, 09:45 AM   #15
Spartan2009
"TRF" Member

I had to send my PAN670 in for service. The local hour hand for the GMT function would gain time as the power indicator went down to 0. I was told 8 to 12 weeks unless it had to go back to Switzerland. At that point 4-6 months is the timeline.

Good luck.
Spartan2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2022, 07:50 PM   #16
shammad10
"TRF" Member

Can I please come crawling back with my tail between my legs and use this as my apology to Panerai for doubting them!!

My watch was just magnetised- nothing more. They sorted it in about 2 minutes at the boutique.
I’m sorry Panerai for throwing my toys out of the pram. I love you again!