The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 29 May 2020, 06:07 AM   #31
brandrea
2020 HARRODS SGE Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Welcome to the forum OP
Old 29 May 2020, 06:17 AM   #32
Onikage
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710, 16628
Am I the only one who throws their watches on wet? Or leaves them on the side wet before throwing them on? Never felt the need for a special method of drying.. Never had wrist cramp yet.
ROLEXFANBOY P-Club Member #4
Onikage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2020, 06:37 AM   #33
Bigblu10
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yess View Post
So few seem to shower with their watch on? If you shower at least once a day (that's what we do, right? Right??) then your watch gets cleaned once a day. Throw some body wash on there... Soap it up... Dry it like the rest of you when you get out. It's really that simple.
I shower every day, but the last thing I want is the annoyance of a 220g gold watch flopping about on my slippery, soapy wrist. Aside from that, liquid body wash usually has additives in it to leave skin soft but would leave film on a metal watch. I prefer to wash my gold Sub in the sink with Dawn and small baby wash cloth and dry it with a hand towel at night after wearing it all day after it is filmed up with body oils.
Bigblu10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2020, 07:08 AM   #34
iTreelex
"TRF" Member

You will eventually get a swirl or hairline scratch even by just touching the watch especially on the polished sides. You will also get hairlines when you wipe it regardless of how clean the cloth is. You will also get swirls and hairlines when you wear a sleeved shirt, or put your hand in your pocket, or put a seatbelt on, or graze your laptop, or cross your arms, or or or or :)
iTreelex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2020, 08:04 AM   #35
Nixshah
"TRF" Member

Showered with my Daytona on the other day. Watch sparkles from the steam and soap.
Nixshah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2020, 10:48 AM   #36
Gee2789
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1967 Doxa 300 no-T
no joke, i received my BLNR yesterday and today just noticed scratches on the clasp. living life will do that.
Gee2789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2020, 12:36 PM   #37
horseShu
"TRF" Member

Watch: Aqua Terra
1. buy watch
2. keep watch in box because you don't want scratches
3. realize that you bought a watch that you don't wear
4. sell watch
horseShu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2020, 02:41 PM   #38
Rogerdodger1
"TRF" Member

Thank you TRF!
Rogerdodger1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2020, 02:43 PM   #39
BiG JeEzY
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT I/EXP II/DJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogerdodger1 View Post
Just wanted to see if anyone can recommend a good microfiber towel for cleaning? I did a search on the forum seems like there are quite a few different ways everyone uses to clean their watches. I also saw a few towels from their AD. One interesting post i saw was someone even got swirls/scratches from a microfiber towel possibly due to small particles on there. Let me know what you clean your rolex with? (Towel, shirt, eyeglass wipes, etc)

Thank you TRF!

I use the same type of microfiber cloths that can be purchased from optometry places that are intended to wipe down eyeglass lenses.

Those cloths are very safe for any watch, and can be washed in the laundry. Just don't add any fabric softener.
-Vintage Longines Automatic La Grande Classique
-Vintage Seiko 6138 Automatic Chronograph with "Kakume" Dial
BiG JeEzY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2020, 07:03 PM   #40
Vincent65
"TRF" Member

Watch: SUB/SD/GMT
As I mentioned once before, in one of these multitudinous cleaning threads:

I use a live Vicuña, which I keep tethered in the Italian Renaissance garden. Select a small patch of previously unused fur, soak with a generous glass of Shipwrecked 1907 Heidseick champagne (the bubbles work wonders, plus, any excuse to open a bottle), rub furiously until watch gleams or beast becomes irritable, then make a dash to the Fountain of Youth to rinse off.

Or just an old toothbrush and a bit of washing-up liquid.
Old 29 May 2020, 07:09 PM   #41
Yess
"TRF" Member

Watch: Air-King 👑
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigblu10 View Post
I shower every day, but the last thing I want is the annoyance of a 220g gold watch flopping about on my slippery, soapy wrist. Aside from that, liquid body wash usually has additives in it to leave skin soft but would leave film on a metal watch. I prefer to wash my gold Sub in the sink with Dawn and small baby wash cloth and dry it with a hand towel at night after wearing it all day after it is filmed up with body oils.
Seems complicated... But you do you!
Yess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2020, 09:43 PM   #42
DonRickles
"TRF" Member

Watch: Your mouth
Yes, swirls are inevitable....

But to the OP's question. I learned that American made micro fiber towels are made using a better, softer, more durable cotton, then thier forgien couterparts. Only buy USA made, It's not going to stop from getting swirls but can help to reduce unnecessarly adding them when cleaning. Of course the towels must be dirt free.....

Anyone that owns black cars, knows about swirls......
From the bottom of my heart, may you all live long, healthy and wealthy lives. Sincerely, I love each and everyone of you. If my screen name put a smile on your face or brought back some good memories, my plan worked
DonRickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2020, 10:07 PM   #43
Subterranean
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1989 16610 Sub,
A word of caution ..dont rest your watch on wooden surfaces..i believe wood also causes scratches.
Subterranean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2020, 10:44 PM   #44
j0hnny
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex SD 16600, Ze
Quote:
Originally Posted by THC View Post
Forget tiny scratches or swirls, you will drive yourself nuts. Clean regularly with soap and water, possibly a very soft toothbrush

Wear it and enjoy. Own the watch, do not let it own you

This is what I do, once a week with just water and a soft babies toothbrush. Occasionally in the week It gets a wipe with a selvyt, which I consider the best in clothes, made in England and as good as new when washed, simple cotton. My watch has been with everyday for 14 years and has minimal strap stretch, absolutely minimal. She’s got plenty of scratches and marks , nothing deep, and I love it all the more for them, it’s my watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
j0hnny is offline   Reply With Quote