The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 6 December 2020, 01:39 PM   #31
teck21
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Black Bay 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryguo View Post
people who pay grey prices or even MSRP need to see this thread. this is the way it’s supposed to be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That’s like saying traffic jams will disappear as long as everybody goes faster.

teck21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2020, 02:15 PM   #32
kizerman
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixinbones View Post
No, but the current state of affairs is ridiculous. I’m lucky that I am willing to, and can afford to spend a bit more to get what I want from a grey. I pity the poor sole that has to depend on a MSRP purchase from an AD. That’s got to be very frustrating.
You "pity the poor sole that pays msrp"?
Could you be any more arrogant? You're not doing much to dispel the douchebag NY stereotype there, are you?

I can afford anything I want but refuse to pay grey prices and seem to have no problem getting references I want from an AD.

What I despise more than the grey dealers are the people that support their market and ruin the chance of the AD inventory recovery.
kizerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2020, 02:56 PM   #33
Sub*Man
"TRF" Member

Watch: The HYPED ones
Quote:
Originally Posted by kizerman View Post
You "pity the poor sole that pays msrp"?
Could you be any more arrogant? You're not doing much to dispel the douchebag NY stereotype there, are you?

I can afford anything I want but refuse to pay grey prices and seem to have no problem getting references I want from an AD.

What I despise more than the grey dealers are the people that support their market and ruin the chance of the AD inventory recovery.
I’m also I’m Charlotte, feel free to tell your AD you want a Daytona for your buddy Sub*Man!
Sub*Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2020, 03:05 PM   #34
kizerman
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sub*Man View Post
I’m also I’m Charlotte, feel free to tell your AD you want a Daytona for your buddy Sub*Man!
Gotta build your own bridges my man.
kizerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2020, 03:31 PM   #35
Sub*Man
"TRF" Member

Watch: The HYPED ones
Quote:
Originally Posted by kizerman View Post
Gotta build your own bridges my man.
Haha, touché.
Sub*Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2020, 05:01 PM   #36
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryguo View Post
people who pay grey prices or even MSRP need to see this thread. this is the way it’s supposed to be.

These days are long gone
Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2020, 05:06 PM   #37
maromewatches
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 26331st
It will happen again soon
maromewatches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2020, 06:23 PM   #38
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maromewatches View Post
It will happen again soon
If you believe that, you are seriously deluded.
Old 6 December 2020, 06:25 PM   #39
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

While fun for the WIS, over abundance of stock and the subsequent discounting is very bad for a luxury brand.

2016 was right when a lot of things started to happen that shaped the market today. It was clear that the economy was changing and expanding in how individuals could earn money...big money..so perceived exclusivity became more important as price simply wasn’t enough of an exclusionary barrier anymore. The item needed to be hard to obtain, so much so that ownership meant more than just being wealthy...it was “inclusive “ to a fewer individuals of privilege.

The ways that luxury brands reacted to these changes tell us how they are positioned today in terms of brand strength.

Some decided to go the direction of...”Hey, everybody has money now, let’s make more watches and open more “doors” so we can capitalize!”

Other brands reacted with limiting distribution, closing “doors” thus securing exclusivity of the product in response to what the luxury market was craving.

It’s pretty easy to tell at this point which reaction has been more successful in terms of...well everything, except WIS satisfaction..
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2020, 06:35 PM   #40
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetlord View Post
While fun for the WIS, over abundance of stock and the subsequent discounting is very bad for a luxury brand.

2016 was right when a lot of things started to happen that shaped the market today. It was clear that the economy was changing and expanding in how individuals could earn money...big money..so perceived exclusivity became more important as price simply wasn’t enough of an exclusionary barrier anymore. The item needed to be hard to obtain, so much so that ownership meant more than just being wealthy...it was “inclusive “ to a fewer individuals of privilege.

The ways that luxury brands reacted to these changes tell us how they are positioned today in terms of brand strength.

Some decided to go the direction of...”Hey, everybody has money now, let’s make more watches and open more “doors” so we can capitalize!”

Other brands reacted with limiting distribution, closing “doors” thus securing exclusivity of the product in response to what the luxury market was craving.

It’s pretty easy to tell at this point which reaction has been more successful in terms of...well everything, except WIS satisfaction..
Agree completely
Old 6 December 2020, 07:57 PM   #41
Barret
"TRF" Member

Visited this exact same boutique earlier this year and the displays were completely empty, besides a few lady DJs... times have changed indeed
Barret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2020, 08:05 PM   #42
Combine man
"TRF" Member

In 2016 bought a new datejust from an independent dealer at a major UK horse event,they had a full range on display in a mobile shop. Still use them today,good honest service.
Combine man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2020, 12:36 AM   #43
S.Explorer
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rollie
It's a shame that it's difficult to buy a new Rolex now (excepting ladies' Datejusts and precious metal watches). Although this has resulted in my current watch going up in value, having a collection / choice is more fun.

There were also more ADs in the past.
S.Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2020, 02:08 AM   #44
ratty
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas and Subs
If these popular models were available, and possibly at a discount, just a few years ago, why didn’t people buy them then?

I suspect that there is a bit of wanting what we can’t have going on here. When they were available people looked at them, thought about them, and realised that they didn’t really want them at the MRRP. After all, they had to be discounted to sell! Now they are not so easily available, some people want what they can’t get. They are still the same watches they were years ago when people didn’t want them, what has changed other than availability?

I’m sure that some people just want what is hard to get and be seen to have it, but what has changed other people’s minds? If you didn’t want it then, why do you want it now?
ratty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2020, 02:36 AM   #45
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratty View Post
If these popular models were available, and possibly at a discount, just a few years ago, why didn’t people buy them then?

I suspect that there is a bit of wanting what we can’t have going on here. When they were available people looked at them, thought about them, and realised that they didn’t really want them at the MRRP. After all, they had to be discounted to sell! Now they are not so easily available, some people want what they can’t get. They are still the same watches they were years ago when people didn’t want them, what has changed other than availability?

I’m sure that some people just want what is hard to get and be seen to have it, but what has changed other people’s minds? If you didn’t want it then, why do you want it now?
Fear of Missing Out.

FOMO is a great motivator and changes minds in short order.
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2020, 02:49 AM   #46
calatravato
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5711/1a-011
The empty cases at ADs are really unpleasant to look at. They should fill them with something...
Old 7 December 2020, 02:55 AM   #47
RoscoPico
"TRF" Member

Watch: ingMe,WatchingYou.
Quote:
Originally Posted by P7M8 View Post
What a time to be alive! I am sure it will go back to this, one day......
yup. it will be a time of actual watch aficionados again. i can't wait. and not because i want any of the one's shown in op's post. i've had most of don't want them again.
but other models yes, and the prices/availability are pretty annoying
i really don't need my watches to be worth any certain amount or in demand, it has 0 to do with why i like and collect them
RoscoPico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2020, 03:21 AM   #48
Lemonvr6
"TRF" Member

Don’t hold your breath

100 year pandemic and prices went up
Old 7 December 2020, 03:23 AM   #49
ratty
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas and Subs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetlord View Post
Fear of Missing Out.

FOMO is a great motivator and changes minds in short order.
I suspect that this plays a part in lots of the purchases announced on this forum.
ratty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2020, 03:30 AM   #50
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
They say the market can stay irrational longer than you can stay solvent.

For Rolex, perhaps the market can stay irrational longer than the watch can stay relevant.

I say buy grey and sell grey and spend those years enjoying the dream watch you may or may not even love after a year on the wrist instead of waiting for 3 years for the call.
Old 7 December 2020, 03:54 AM   #51
stlwx21
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR & 79220N

I came across this picture on my phone last night. This is February 2017 at an AD in Texas.

stlwx21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2020, 04:08 AM   #52
Chute
"TRF" Member

Watch: 6 digit Rolex+APRO
Quote:

What has changed is that Retail Arbitrage has hit the Rolex market.
Back then, you couldn’t buy these watches at full retail plus tax and sell them for a profit.
Now you can and that has attracted speculators to the watch world who weren’t part of it then.
Chute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2020, 04:09 AM   #53
Chute
"TRF" Member

Watch: 6 digit Rolex+APRO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sub*Man View Post
Anybody remember when AD’s held watch and scotch events, and you could try on, and purchase any model you pleased? Get liquor’d up and buy watches! They don’t even hold events anymore...
Grand Seiko held these last year.
But then again, there aren’t any Grand Seikos that sell for over retail.
Chute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2020, 10:37 AM   #54
moneymike83
Banned

Watch: Sd43
Quote:
Originally Posted by teck21 View Post
Begging? Did they also go on their knees?

You stupid!

moneymike83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2020, 10:59 AM   #55
teck21
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Black Bay 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chute View Post
What has changed is that Retail Arbitrage has hit the Rolex market.
Back then, you couldn’t buy these watches at full retail plus tax and sell them for a profit.
Now you can and that has attracted speculators to the watch world who weren’t part of it then.

That’s true but I read his post, in part at least to refer to the large number of supposed watch lovers (who don’t succumb to hype at all) here who didn’t even give these watches the ‘time of day’ then are suddenly all regretting not ‘picking them up’ then.

teck21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2020, 06:19 PM   #56
grimps
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chute View Post
I remember in 2014 walking into a watch store that just got their Rolex authorized dealership and they had both white and black 116520 stainless Daytona’s in the case.

The only watch I bought in 2016 was a black stainless Audemars Piguet royal oak 15400 brand new from a trusted seller for about half of the price they go for now.
It’s amazing how much has changed in 4 years.

When I bought my first Rolex in 2010, I knew that you could buy a stainless professional (sub, gmt, Daytona) and wear it for 5-10 years then get your money back.
I don’t think there were any watches that sold for over retail a decade ago.
Now almost everything in stainless steel is hard to get.
I went into my AD in2011 looking for the new Ceramic GMT , they asked me if I'd like to see a Daytona first and I said "yeah sure' and walked out with the black dial, they also had the white dial too.
grimps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2020, 06:23 PM   #57
grimps
"TRF" Member

Quote:

To be fair I did buy most of them back then , that's why I'm still able to get most models I want now
grimps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2020, 10:32 PM   #58
morg.k24
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny83 View Post
Yes crazy indeed I have shared this pic on here from 2016 as well. This is from Rolex at the Wynn Las Vegas

That is really crazy, nobody can just imagine that now.
morg.k24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2020, 12:10 AM   #59
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Because majority are of individuals have sheepish mindsets, this is a trend and eventually the hype will subside. This is the very point I agree and have made before. It’s pure nonsense how people are claiming all these individuals JUST got money for luxury goods and bought up Rolex. They’ve had the money, the only thing that changed is FOMO and IG trendsetting.

This will pass....eventually....when that is, nobody knows. Although I do think SS MSRP is here to stay and we’ll never see 10-20% off like you could in 2016.

It’s kind of funny people making the comment that others are delusional if they think normalcy won’t return. What I would say is delusional is claiming that Rolex watches are the one exception to the history of consumer goods that held up above MSRP pricing for an extended period. What we’re experiencing is the literal definition of a trend when you look at the timeline. Those paying 2x MSRP are going to get wrecked in my opinion.
dmash is offline   Reply With Quote