The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 18 June 2021, 02:58 PM   #61
Robine
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megalobyte View Post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Which ref. is that?
Robine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2021, 03:53 PM   #62
soxxel
"TRF" Member

Watch: The Next One
Quote:
Originally Posted by phamou View Post

Loving this combo today
I've been waiting over 3 months for my blue alligator strap to arrive at the AD...
soxxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2021, 04:00 PM   #63
Brady2117
"TRF" Member

Watch: Bluesy Submariner
Yeah sounds about right...I waited 3 months before it arrived at AD then they FedEx it to me.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
Brady2117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2021, 03:05 PM   #64
Megalobyte
"TRF" Member

Watch: ...me go broke
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robine View Post
Which ref. is that?

It’s the newest large, blue dial.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Megalobyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2021, 03:33 PM   #65
Brady2117
"TRF" Member

Watch: Bluesy Submariner
Crazy how I find myself wearing this Santos WAY more than the DJ41 blue dial...WAY more

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
Brady2117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2021, 04:06 PM   #66
Bruin20
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGB View Post
Very nice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
How’s the rubber strap? Currently eying the black dlc model with it.
Bruin20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2021, 11:27 PM   #67
Dino944
"TRF" Member

Watch: Batman, Kermit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruin20 View Post
How’s the rubber strap? Currently eying the black dlc model with it.
I got one for my steel blue dial and I love it. I like the rubber strap and the metal bracelet far more than the calf or alligator straps.

[URL=""]
Dino944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2021, 12:20 PM   #68
blindpilot
"TRF" Member

blindpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2021, 08:47 PM   #69
vdm9
"TRF" Member

Watch: datejust 41
Hello
Love the Santos !!!
My AD got me in the large blue dial.
What kind of discount are you seeing if any
Thanks
Vasilios
vdm9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2021, 08:50 PM   #70
phamou
"TRF" Member

phamou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2021, 09:53 PM   #71
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Nice watches. Wish I had an AD locally so I could try them on.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 July 2021, 05:23 AM   #72
gretch6364
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1William View Post
Nice watches. Wish I had an AD locally so I could try them on.
Definitely worth trying on if you were considering. I just went and tried it on as I am searching for a WSSA0037 and was considering some other watches as well. I just don't think you can beat the way this watch wears.
gretch6364 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2021, 04:56 AM   #73
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
I tried it on and the quick change failed or the AD didn't secure it tightly and the watch fell off my wrist but luckily I caught it with my other hand. Hope the quick change is not prone to issues.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2021, 12:45 AM   #74
Ducky Magoo
"TRF" Member

The all black SANTOS DE CARTIER is 7800 USD now though...
Ducky Magoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2021, 01:06 AM   #75
Dino944
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
I tried it on and the quick change failed or the AD didn't secure it tightly and the watch fell off my wrist but luckily I caught it with my other hand. Hope the quick change is not prone to issues.
That's a dealer mistake, not an issue with the system. It actually snaps into place and locks there. He just didn't push the attachment far enough into the watch case to lock. I've used the system many times, and on more than one watch, and never had any issues.
Old 7 July 2021, 03:51 AM   #76
sportsfan0704
"TRF" Member

Anyone else notice the price increase? 300-400 per model. Wonder if it’s because of the demand for these watches or Cartier is being greedy. I am caught between finding the medium probably 1mm too small and the large 1mm too big.
sportsfan0704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2021, 04:22 AM   #77
Reelandy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsfan0704 View Post
Anyone else notice the price increase? 300-400 per model. Wonder if it’s because of the demand for these watches or Cartier is being greedy. I am caught between finding the medium probably 1mm too small and the large 1mm too big.

I think it depends on the model. I was looking at the one below and price stayed the same. Here are a few pictures(I’m picking up the large next month)

Reelandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2021, 04:22 AM   #78
Reelandy
"TRF" Member

Old 7 July 2021, 04:22 AM   #79
Reelandy
"TRF" Member

Old 7 July 2021, 04:35 AM   #80
sportsfan0704
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reelandy View Post
I think it depends on the model. I was looking at the one below and price stayed the same. Here are a few pictures(I’m picking up the large next month)

The large santos was 7,100 usd. Now it’s 7450.
Old 7 July 2021, 04:43 AM   #81
Dino944
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Cartier had a price increase on June 30th. The increase on watches was 5%.

They kept their prices quite stable for the last few years, while other companies including Rolex and AP had price increases a while ago. In addition, several of their products are in high demand. Wishing you luck deciding which Santos to get. I could have worn either size, but found the medium a little too small. So I went with the large and I'm very happy with it.
Old 7 July 2021, 04:47 AM   #82
Dino944
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reelandy View Post

Maybe in Canada the price stayed the same. However, in the US the large Santos went up in price $350.00. I'm not sure if Canada will have a price increase, but I heard some countries will experience price increases by July 15th.
Old 7 July 2021, 05:36 AM   #83
Reelandy
"TRF" Member

Ya I’ll have to circle back to my SA this week to see if that’s the case. The one I have pictured is $9,300CAD and comes with the additional strap(on bracelet plus tan leather). Fingers crossed it doesn’t jump in Canada

Old 7 July 2021, 06:21 AM   #84
texasmade
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP RO 15400, FOIS
A lot of the Richemont brands had price increases in the past 12 months but it's still nowhere near as bad as AP that had multiple price increases in the past 2 years.
texasmade is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2021, 06:27 AM   #85
sportsfan0704
"TRF" Member

It may sound trivial but I no longer see the medium santos as worth the price at 6800. If you add tax, you’re up to around 7,500 and while the 8 year warranty is nice, you can get a Rolex for that price in better proportions. Bonus value for used. The santos is an icon, albeit an imperfect one because while the no date option on the medium size is preferable, it is also too small for a lot of people at 35mm. The dimensions of the larger model don’t work for everyone either, and the date is a turn off for some.
Old 7 July 2021, 06:51 AM   #86
Dino944
"TRF" Member

Quote:
It may sound trivial but I no longer see the medium santos as worth the price at 6800. If you add tax, you’re up to around 7,500 and while the 8 year warranty is nice, you can get a Rolex for that price in better proportions. Bonus value for used. The santos is an icon, albeit an imperfect one because while the no date option on the medium size is preferable, it is also too small for a lot of people at 35mm. The dimensions of the larger model don’t work for everyone either, and the date is a turn off for some.
Obviously, we all have to buy what we like and what works for us. Value is subjective. Most people can't buy a new Rolex for $7,500...unless maybe they are a preferred customer at an AD. Not to mention, even if getting one at MSRP, $7,500 doesn't buy much from Rolex these days (an Explorer, an OP, Air King, or DJ). Owned an Explorer years ago, never wore it, and I think the Santos is more interesting that an OP or DJ.

In addition, the size issue might be an issue for you, but for many people it isn't an issue. I know 4 guys that purchased the Large Santos within the last 6 weeks, and demand for the large models with dark dials seems quite strong. While I could do without the date, I've gotten used to it. Oddly it might have bothered me more on the white dial, but on the dark dial versions I feel like it blends in more and it's less of an issue, at least for me, ymmv.
Old 8 July 2021, 01:00 AM   #87
smalleq
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Having owned a White OP39 (and a Hulk for that matter), I don't see how much Rolex and Cartier have that much to do with each other than roughly being the same price (though the Santos does occupy a similar space in my current collection). Value and feature level wise, I think a Santos Medium and a OP36 are roughly equivalent to each other and not that different in size. (similarly since Rolex upsized the OP39 to 41mm, it would be that way for the large Santos). Rolex has a nicer movement and is a fairly refined but a somewhat generic Rolex, though the colored dials make it less so. The Santos is arguably more nicely finished and interesting in design, with the benefit of a nice strap switch system. It's also a nice bit dressier.

Don't get me wrong, I loved owning/wearing my OP39 in white, but it wasn't exactly the most dynamic watch design.

It certainly be nicer if the medium Santos was a bit closer in price, but I don't think a +~$1k price difference is going to keep somebody from buying a Santos over an OP if they like it better. Plus as Dino notes, you can actually get one without being somebody special.

I do think the size gap between the Medium and the Large is a bit too much. I was worried about the Large being too big on me originally and lamenting that the dark dial options weren't present on the Medium, but after trying both sizes on, it was clear the Medium was more "too small" for me than the Large was "too big" for me.

While I think a Santos that was somewhere in between the Medium and Large in size would work for a lot of people, I do think it's important to remember that not every watch can be everything to all people and sometimes choices just have to get made. That's not a good thing or a bad thing, it just is what it is sometimes.
smalleq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2021, 02:59 AM   #88
Dino944
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smalleq View Post
I do think it's important to remember that not every watch can be everything to all people and sometimes choices just have to get made. That's not a good thing or a bad thing, it just is what it is sometimes.
I say something similar all the time. No watch can be everything to everyone. If it were, we would all have the same watches in our collection and that would be boring.

To Sportfan0704, if a modest increase would make a watch no longer a good value to you, then it probably was never the right watch for you. I never buy a watch because it is a or not a good value, I buy it because I really love it, but ymmv.
Old 11 July 2021, 10:55 PM   #89
phamou
"TRF" Member

Is it normal the Santos de Cartier in stainless steel is not available anymore on the cartier website? Medium or large, even two tone is not there anymore..

Is it discontinued? If so, glad i got mine..

phamou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2021, 11:30 PM   #90
smalleq
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamou View Post
Is it normal the Santos de Cartier in stainless steel is not available anymore on the cartier website? Medium or large, even two tone is not there anymore..

Is it discontinued? If so, glad i got mine..
I’m guessing maybe they’re temporarily sold out or it’s likely a mistake.
smalleq is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cartier , santos