The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!!

Old 25 June 2021, 03:33 PM   #31
enigma-2

Watch: Rolex DJ,Tudor DD
Not everything on Ebay is fake

I purchased a gold and silver Rolex with Jubilee Band and factory diamonds off Ebay a few years ago. The write up was through and described the watch as being sold (along with others) from an estate sale. It sold with both boxes, tags and paperwork.

They shipped the watch overnight with Saturday delivery. Immediately after receipt I ran down to the local Rolex dealer (in another city ) and had them authenticate. It still had the original plastic coverings over the face, band and base, tags and boxes. (In corresponding with the seller I learned that the person that had purchased the watch had only worn it 5x and never removed the factory coverings to maintain its value).

They verified it was an original Rolex so I had them size the band and issue a certificate of estimated value for my insurance company. They charged me $40 for the certification as it required they open the watch and inspect the mechanism to make certain of its authenticity.

This is an important point to keep in mind as each watch you own requires a separate insurance policy and each policy will require a separate certification from a certified Rolex dealer. (Your homeowners policy only insure jewelry up to a maximum of $750).

While there certainly are crooks on Ebay, (as well as in the private sector) if you use your head after you get the watch and have it immediately verified by a local Rolex dealer, you should be safe. If fake, immediately start a fraud complaint with Ebay and PayPal to get your money back. There's no such thing as 100% safe, but also keep in mind, not everything on Ebay is fake.

Just use your own good judgement and remember Ronnie R's famous words "trust, but verify".
enigma-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2021, 01:01 PM   #32
dcourtenayt
2024 Pledge Member

avoid ebay

Have bought several watches over the years from ebay. I would say about 25% or less are ok. Many of the ones that are authentic have issues not in the description. Have bought a few fakes which the seller stated was authentic as well.
Have won all my cases, but it is not worth the hassle.
You need written documentation from a dealer or manufacturer to prove your case.
As far as the authentication they have in place, it is one shop in Ohio looking at thousands of watches. I am sure good fakes get thru frequently and they do not guarantee all the parts on the watch to be authentic. Also do not look at condition whatsoever, even if something is coming apart.
I would have little to no faith in this authentication process due to the volume due to the fact that almost every watch over 2k goes there to be authenticated. I am sure they do not have experts for every brand of watch.
And if you open the case back to see movement and that is known or documented, you automatically lose the dispute.
Buy here from trusted dealers.
Doug
dcourtenayt is offline   Reply With Quote