The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!!

Old 8 July 2021, 05:46 PM   #1
philhendrix
"TRF" Member

Spotting a fake Rolex DD 18238A

Hi guys!

I've been after a vintage date date (reference 1803, or 118238) for a whole now, so I usually stop by most shops that sell vintage watches I happen to walk past just to take a look at what they have on offer - though I would also do so just out of interest even without wanting that particular day date.

To cut a long story short, I walked into a quite big second-hand watch seller on a major high-street in a Chinese city (been working in China for several years, and yes, we all know China is a haven for fake goods, though you can find real vintage pieces I'm sure).

Anyhow, I tried on this DD (reference number 18238A), and while doing so, I think I might have just spotted a fake. I must admit, I didn't notice this while trying on the watch - I wasn't going to buy anyway and went through a bunch of watches at the time. After seeing closer images of the watch, something seemed a bit off to me and I wanted to confirm with you guys, who I am sure know more of this than I do.

Below are pictures (taken by the shopkeeper who sent them to me after).

https://ibb.co/w0JYDqr
https://ibb.co/dWQNF1L

I think the D in THURSDAY looks off, not like the usual rolex D. Also not sure about the distance between some of the lines on the face of the watch.

Sorry I can't offer better images, I didn't walk in just to spot this particular fake, otherwise I would have taken clearer images.

What do you guys think? Is this a fake or am I seeing things. Thanks!!
philhendrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2021, 06:17 PM   #2
Casotakar
"TRF" Member

Don’t know much about telling fakes but a local shop near me called Vintage Concept has great items including Rolex. If they ever have something send me a PM and I can drop in and take pics for you…I see they sold a few of the reference numbers you’ve mentioned.
Casotakar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2021, 02:04 AM   #3
Oyster Perp
"TRF" Member

I'd say fake. Not least as the hands seem a little short
Oyster Perp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2021, 03:19 AM   #4
offrdmania
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

If it is a fake then its the best one ive ever seen. From the photos provided it looks real but may have had aftermarket parts used. Day and date wheels are available in the aftermarket as well as hands and dials. We need to see the back of the watch, the codes on the clasp of the bracelet as well as the codes on the end links, the inside of the case back and a movement shot to be 100% sure.
Old 9 July 2021, 11:15 AM   #5
philhendrix
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casotakar View Post
Don’t know much about telling fakes but a local shop near me called Vintage Concept has great items including Rolex. If they ever have something send me a PM and I can drop in and take pics for you…I see they sold a few of the reference numbers you’ve mentioned.
Hi, thanks for your reply! Does your local shop have a website I can browse from time to time? I'm currently still based in China and buying from here is still a bit tricky.
Old 9 July 2021, 11:18 AM   #6
philhendrix
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oyster Perp View Post
I'd say fake. Not least as the hands seem a little short
Good shout, I didn't check the hands actually. I thought the font, especially the D was a giveaway. Again, I'm not sure, wouldn't want to do them any wrong.

They had a hulk and a pepsi in store too. I know that Chinese factories can produce super good hulk fakes, so that would be another one to spot.
Old 9 July 2021, 11:24 AM   #7
philhendrix
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by offrdmania View Post
If it is a fake then its the best one ive ever seen. From the photos provided it looks real but may have had aftermarket parts used. Day and date wheels are available in the aftermarket as well as hands and dials. We need to see the back of the watch, the codes on the clasp of the bracelet as well as the codes on the end links, the inside of the case back and a movement shot to be 100% sure.
Handling the watch, weight wise it didn't feel fake, it was heavy. I commented at the time that I thought that the bracelet was a little too immaculate to be a 20-30 year old watch.

I didn't use the word 'fake' while I was at the shop, but I did comment that I wasn't sure if they used after market parts on the watch (bracelet) and whether the diamonds were original.

If the really was a fake, and if I'd ask for more images from them, they'd think I'm onto something fishy - they'd probs say its been sold.
Old 9 July 2021, 11:25 AM   #8
philhendrix
"TRF" Member

Might I mention, the watch had no box and papers!
Old 9 July 2021, 05:11 PM   #9
Casotakar
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by philhendrix View Post
Hi, thanks for your reply! Does your local shop have a website I can browse from time to time? I'm currently still based in China and buying from here is still a bit tricky.

https://thevintageconcept.com/

They’re nice to deal with. I have bought 1 watch from them in the past that I’ve since sold. Walk by them almost everyday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Casotakar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2021, 05:24 PM   #10
Highend7
Banned

Watch: Rolex 116520
No box and papers... Well, I will feel comfortable making such purchase.
Highend7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2021, 07:16 PM   #11
philhendrix
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highend7 View Post
No box and papers... Well, I will feel comfortable making such purchase.
Haha, yes. Well, you do come across genuine pieces without boxes or papers. Faking papers and getting a box isn't difficult nowadays either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casotakar View Post
https://thevintageconcept.com/

They’re nice to deal with. I have bought 1 watch from them in the past that I’ve since sold. Walk by them almost everyday.
Cool, will check them out. Cheers!
Old 10 July 2021, 12:25 AM   #12
Holishi
"TRF" Member

Spotting a fake Rolex DD 18238A

Good luck
Holishi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2021, 06:12 AM   #13
crowncollection
"TRF" Member

Quote:

This

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10 July 2021, 08:17 AM   #14
shredder
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by philhendrix View Post
Might I mention, the watch had no box and papers!

I dont think that many 30 year old watches that have box and papers. Often they have been through multiple owners or the owners died.

I do have my 20 year old box and (some) papers, but Im not sure how complete it is after sitting in the bottom of multiple dressers and surviving 4 moves.
shredder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2021, 11:29 AM   #15
philhendrix
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holishi View Post
Good luck
Quote:
Originally Posted by crowncollection View Post
This
Quote:
Perhaps I am getting a little too careful these days.

As mentioned, I work in China, and while you get the luxury of having several Rolex (or other brands) stores in one city - a real abundance due to the size of the urban population - there's equally an abundance of high-end fakes sold as real watches to a watch audience that simply isn't as 'educated about watches' than say in Europe or the US. Here, you get 'watch enthusiasts' who've never held a Royal Oak before, but have plenty of money to spend and easily get ripped off from fake dealers. But again, I believe thats the case everyone now.

I was put off by two things. One thing I noticed inside the store, the other while looking at pictures of the watch late. 1. The fantastic condition of the bracelet - the whole watch looked like it has never been used. 2. The weekday letters seemed a little different to images I found online of the same watch (searched according to serial number). I found the most striking difference was the letter D.

I do understand that I am asking a lot from you guys to spot a fake from just those images, clearly not enough to give a 100% precise answer, so thank you guys very much for your time looking at those two images and telling me your thoughts!! :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shredder View Post
I dont think that many 30 year old watches that have box and papers. Often they have been through multiple owners or the owners died.

I do have my 20 year old box and (some) papers, but Im not sure how complete it is after sitting in the bottom of multiple dressers and surviving 4 moves.
Sure, I own some watches that were my grandfathers, and they are now all without box and papers but certainly authentic. Its fine, its not a must, but having them is nice when you buy or sell.
Old 10 July 2021, 06:34 PM   #16
philhendrix
"TRF" Member

So I've asked for more pictures and they've literally just told me that the watch has been sold. Happy accident? :)