The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex Watch Reviews

Old 8 April 2008, 02:15 AM   #1
DSJ
"TRF" Member

Watch: your step!
[LONG] A comparative review and subjective thoughts about my Rollies and SMP

It’s been several weeks since I’ve had both my Explorer II Noir, Bluesy Submariner as well as my newly serviced SMP, all vying for wrist time. I thought I would share my personal thoughts about each of these watches, as well as some general observations about how and when I decide to wear each one.

SMP (2552.80): I’ve had this watch since 2000, and for the most part, it has been my daily watch. It looks good with everything from a tuxedo to swim trunks, IMO. I wore this watch like it was meant to be worn, and it held up well. Based on my ownership of this watch, I strongly recommend the Omega Seamaster Professional to anyone wanting a tough, yet elegant, yet fairly priced Swiss watch. Mine is 36mm, because at the time I bought it, I felt the larger size was too big for my wrist. My daily watch before that was a 34mm Citizen Automatic. While I no longer think I need a watch this small, it’s nice to have it in my stable, as it remains a little more elegant in this size. Over the years, I have had a few compliments on it, but mostly by WIS or women admiring it on my wrist.

Bluesy 16613: This was my grail watch for a long time. I bought the SMP because I didn’t want to spend the money for a 16610 at the time, but the desire to own a Submariner never faded. This watch is absolutely gorgeous, and I am always staring at its Cobalt colored dial and bezel insert and love how the gold, blue and steel looks all together. It gets noticed by others; I have already had several compliments and queries about what kind of watch it is. Bluesy is simply one of the classiest looking wristwatches out there. While I have a nice Hamilton dress watch, I have no problem wearing a Sport watch with a suit, and this one looks great, especially with a blue suit and light blue dress shirt. It also looks great with jeans. The watch feels like the largest watch I own (which it is) and the only complaint I have is that the crown sometimes digs into my wrist – I’ve developed a callous mark as a result. The one thing is that it doesn’t go as well with everything in my wardrobe as either the SMP or Explorer II, but when it does match, nothing else compares. It DOES look great with my Plat/18K wedding ring too!

Explorer II Noir 16570: As you know, I bought this watch, because I was still longing for a SS Rolex with a black dial, even after the acquisition of Bluesy. It was a sort of compromise purchase because I couldn’t afford a new 116710, and didn’t want to own two Submariners (and 3 dive watches). Plus I got an incredible deal from my AD. This watch has been the biggest surprise for me. I never even liked it until a few months ago, and now I find myself wearing it more than either of the other two mentioned. Its fit on my wrist, its low profile, brushed SS bracelet, red 24h hand, stainless bezel, and black dial really give this watch a nice look and feel. It also looks fantastic with a gray or black suit or jeans (I’m wearing jeans and charcoal long-sleeved t-shirt today with it and it’s the perfect fit). No one has really noticed this watch or said anything about it. In fact, I’ve had it on a couple time around my wife (who doesn’t know I bought it yet – I’ll show her when I present her with her anniversary gift) for a few moments and she has not noticed it! I’m also less worried about damaging it then I am with Bluesy. I was helping a friend install an engine on Saturday, and I didn’t bother even taking it off! I’m really excited about giving this watch to my son some day.

Now how do I decide what to wear and when? That’s still a work in progress. I wear Bluesy whenever it matches my suit at work, and in the evenings to keep it wound (it’s only stopped once, for about 3 hours, since I received it in January). I wear Expy2 in my home office and sometimes visiting clients when it matches my suit better than Bluesy. I throw my SMP on whenever I am feeling nostalgic or want something a little smaller. Owning multiple watches and spreading the love between them is proving harder than I thought! I’m traveling on business next week, and will likely take Bluesy, but I am also trying to figure out how to incorporate Expy2 as well! Unlikely, but it shows its pull towards my wrist! All are keeping very good time.

If you’ve made it down this far, thanks for reading, and here’s some gratuitious wrist pics (sorry they’re reruns) of my 3 Swiss Chronometers:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Omega 008.jpg (38.8 KB, 492 views)
File Type: jpg Rolex 013.jpg (44.4 KB, 488 views)
File Type: jpg April Fools Snow 08 007.jpg (38.0 KB, 487 views)
DSJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2008, 02:22 AM   #2
seantk
"TRF" Member

Great comparison! Yes it would be difficult to find wrist time for all 3 great timepieces

Sean
Old 8 April 2008, 02:22 AM   #3
kcmo
"TRF" Member

Great review David

Good to hear how you're enjoying all of them. The great thing about your trio is the diversity. I'm sure you really feel a difference each time you put one on! I know I feel that way with my trio.

Continue to enjoy them
kcmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2008, 02:25 AM   #4
Norm

Nice write-up David. Thanks for taking the time. I love Bluesy and have not shared the love since I got it 5-6 weeks ago but I know soon I will. That Expy is something I was never interested in before I came to TRF but you and others have made compelling testamonials and I find myself becoming drawn to the white face. Again, thanks for the review.

Norm
Norm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2008, 02:43 AM   #5
Scarface
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex , Omega
Beautiful watches all & a versatile collection - enjoy them
Omega Seamaster Professional Chronograph
Scarface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2008, 02:54 AM   #6
frostie
1,000,000th PostMember

Nice collection there David

I enjoyed reading the review

GMT - Master II C - 116710 LN
frostie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2008, 03:12 AM   #7
Terry Newton
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex TT GMT II c
Nice choices of watches David. It does make it interesting in finding out which one to wear today. Nice to have choices. All of yours are wonderful watches. Great review and pictures also.

Terry Newton

"Z" SS Date Submariner
"Z" TT GMT-Master IIc
Terry Newton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2008, 07:28 AM   #8
DSJ
"TRF" Member

Thanks everybody! Karis, Terry, Minas and Norm, how do you decide what to wear and when?
Old 8 April 2008, 07:42 AM   #9
kcmo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSJ View Post
Thanks everybody! Karis, Terry, Minas and Norm, how do you decide what to wear and when?
Hmmm, good question! For me, it just depends on my mood. When I had just a DJ and a Sub, I admit it was easier....I'd wear the DJ pretty much Mon-Thurs, and the Sub Fri-Sun....

Now that I have the Expy too, the rotation is changing. I've only had it 10 days now and have worn it every day! LOVE that new watch feeling

I have a feeling I'll rotate the Expy in with the DJ during the week, and wear the Sub on the weekend......but that's not a strict schedule at all. For instance, I went to a baby naming on Sunday and wore my DJ. Just depends on what's going on and how I feel.

Sorry for the LONG ANSWER!!!
kcmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2008, 12:21 PM   #10
Terry Newton
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex TT GMT II c
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSJ View Post
David:

The Tag is for bicycling and other sports. I have not lost a fortune if it gets banged up. The TT GMT-Master IIc is my weekday watch to be worn to work. The SS Date Submariner is my weekend watch. The RGM Chronograph will be one that I alternate during the week.

Hopefully that is the last of my obsession and that I will now be content with my collection.

Having choices makes it fun though.

Terry Newton

"Z" SS Date Submariner
"Z" TT GMT-Master IIc
Terry Newton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2008, 12:28 PM   #11
diversified
"TRF" Member

Easy one Dave,

Omega- just for knocking around
Blusey- weekends, parties, cookouts, etc.
Explorer- dressup, business, meetings, etc.
diversified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2008, 12:31 PM   #12
DSJ
"TRF" Member

Thanks all! Nice simplification Jim, I WISH I could abide by that suggested schedule! At least I have a winder now!
Old 8 April 2008, 02:11 PM   #13
timackerman
"TRF" Member

You have 3 great looking watches there
Old 8 April 2008, 11:46 PM   #14
DSJ
"TRF" Member

Thanks Tim!
Old 9 April 2008, 01:31 AM   #15
buz-lh
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Tudor Pam
Thanks for the writeup David. Three great watches. Have you had a chance to compare their accuracy?

buz-lh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2008, 01:33 AM   #16
DSJ
"TRF" Member

Well Buz, they all seem to be pretty close. At first I was really paying close attention to regulation, but it was becoming obsessive compulsive. I did look at the trio yesterday and they were all within 10 seconds of each other and somewhere around the exact time, so pretty good in my book!
Old 9 April 2008, 02:03 AM   #17
buz-lh
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Tudor Pam
That's great. I too got a little OC with my two for awhile and backed off from that. I guess specifically have you noticed any change in the SMP since you had it serviced?

buz-lh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2008, 03:12 AM   #18
DSJ
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buz-lh View Post
That's great. I too got a little OC with my two for awhile and backed off from that. I guess specifically have you noticed any change in the SMP since you had it serviced?
Absolutely. The main reason I had it serviced was that it was losing ~28 sec/day - I wore it for several days upon its return and the deviation was less than 1 sec/day.
Old 9 April 2008, 04:10 AM   #19
Welshwatchman
"TRF" Member

An excellent read, David.

It is always refreshing to be able to read a fellow enthusiast's thoughts on the subject of their interests.

Hopefully a few more members will follow suit with their thoughts and opinions.
Old 9 April 2008, 04:14 AM   #20
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
That's a fine collection you have, David. I prefer that OMEGA with the steel bezel you have on rather than the matching blue one.

JJ

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2008, 06:46 AM   #21
Perdu
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
I'm not usually a fan of the Exp II, but that looks perfect on your wrist; a little smaller than the Sub at 39mm and will go with anything. I think it's your most versitle watch.

Benson 1937 Sterling Silver Hunter
Perdu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2008, 07:24 AM   #22
DSJ
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perdu View Post
I'm not usually a fan of the Exp II, but that looks perfect on your wrist; a little smaller than the Sub at 39mm and will go with anything. I think it's your most versitle watch.
I agree Gary, that's what is so surprising about it, the Expy2 never did it for me either, and now I find it to be my most worn!
Old 10 April 2008, 08:22 AM   #23
mdx77
"TRF" Member

Awesome review David! I don't know how I'd be able to choose between those three either.
“This is your last chance. After this, there is no turning back. You take the BLUE pill - the story ends; you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the RED pill - you stay in Wonderland, and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes.”

Rolex Submariner 116610LV Hulk | Rolex GMT 16710 Pepsi | Omega Speedmaster “Speedy Tuesday” | Tudor Black Bay 79220R “ETA Rose” | Tudor Pelagos Blue Dial | Rolex Submariner Yellow Gold 116618LB | Rolex Milgauss “Z-Blue” 116400GV
mdx77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2008, 10:56 PM   #24
f16570
"TRF" Member

Watch: Exp II White Face
Thanks for taking the time to write this for us.