The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 9 July 2020, 07:41 AM   #1
monet33
"TRF" Member

USPS Registered mail

Always double check the receipt after you ship USPS registered Mail.

Just shipped my Rolex and told the rep to insure it $12,000. As I was walking out I checked to see my tracking number but noticed the insured value had $1,200.00 so I had to do a double take and sure enough wrong amount. Had to go back and have her fix it.

Hopefully it was an honest mistake but glad to have checked
monet33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2020, 10:29 AM   #2
irate.alien
"TRF" Member

Is it true that registered mail is the best, most secure way to ship a valuable watch? I've been meaning to send a vintage Speedmaster of mine for a repair, and they told me to use registered mail.

That's a good catch. I guess I'll make sure to double check my receipt!
Old 9 July 2020, 10:32 AM   #3
Crazy Lugs
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by irate.alien View Post
Is it true that registered mail is the best, most secure way to ship a valuable watch? I've been meaning to send a vintage Speedmaster of mine for a repair, and they told me to use registered mail.

Yes.
Crazy Lugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2020, 11:46 AM   #4
Denvertimeguy
Banned

Quote:

Since when is USPS the first choice to ship anything lol!?! Never have I said to myself I need something there next morning guaranteed so I’m using USPS! Always FedEx overnight by 10:30am guarantee, never had an issue. So annoying that Tourneau policy is 2 day shipping UPS cause they always fuck up...
Denvertimeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2020, 11:53 AM   #5
stmoore
Banned

Watch: Gilt
Terrible. Get parcel pro and overnight fedex.

Do not use USPS.
stmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2020, 11:56 AM   #6
iTreelex
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stmoore View Post

Do not use USPS.
For some reason parcel pro doesn't do personal accounts anymore, only businesses. Please correct me if I'm wrong. On the other hand I've never had an issue with USPS lol.
iTreelex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2020, 12:15 PM   #7
Generation
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ36 & BB58
I ship a lot of stuff via USPS for eBay. I've shipped two watches that sold for around $1,000 each via Priority Mail with an insurance amount that matched the sale price. But the last time I shipped a watch via USPS, the clerk said the insurance amount should be the amount of a (recent?) appraisal. For example, he said, one can't ship a baseball card and have it insured for some random amount. Does anyone know more about how insurance works for shipping watches via USPS?
Generation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2020, 12:17 PM   #8
MILGAUSS88
"TRF" Member

Reminds me of the story about Harry Winston mailing the Hope Diamond to the Smithsonian Museum...... Via registered USPS mail.
MILGAUSS88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2020, 01:53 PM   #9
Michael M.
Banned

Quote:

Certainly not. FedEx Overnight insured by ParcelPro or InfoSure is the best. USPS is notorious for a delayed tracking system and lost packages. There is a reason why all of the major shipping insurance companies will only insure FedEx or UPS for high value packages.
Michael M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2020, 04:34 PM   #10
sutats
"TRF" Member

Icon7

Now this is interesting, USPS registered mail was the best way to post going by the replies in this thread: https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=749437

However the replies in this thread suggest otherwise. lol
Post Your Rolex/Tudor Watch Weight (PYRTWW)
sutats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2020, 05:01 PM   #11
pbubsy
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
USPS registered mail is slow but the safest way. It has to be kept in locked containers and signed for every step of the way so each person that handles it is accountable. Good way to ship something high value whether monetary or sentimental. I worked for the post office as my first real job, I recall the first time I saw the area where they processed the Registered mail and thinking that it looked really secure. Having used it, I have been satisfied. I've had tracking issues with all carriers and had issues with most carriers (USPS, FEDEX, UPS) sending to the wrong hub and delaying my package by several days at some point. No delivery service is perfect. Funny but my best experience has been with DHL.
pbubsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2020, 11:26 PM   #12
mr ling
"TRF" Member

Watch: my P&L
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbubsy View Post
USPS registered mail is slow but the safest way. It has to be kept in locked containers and signed for every step of the way so each person that handles it is accountable. Good way to ship something high value whether monetary or sentimental. I worked for the post office as my first real job, I recall the first time I saw the area where they processed the Registered mail and thinking that it looked really secure. Having used it, I have been satisfied. I've had tracking issues with all carriers and had issues with most carriers (USPS, FEDEX, UPS) sending to the wrong hub and delaying my package by several days at some point. No delivery service is perfect. Funny but my best experience has been with DHL.
Agree with you on this. DHL has been fantastic, especially for international shipments. USPS does have the edge with registered mail. I've had more issues with FedEX and UPS than USPS, but perhaps I am an outlier here?
mr ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2020, 12:08 AM   #13
Jackie Daytona
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16750
I like the idea of their registered mail program. However, it recently took me over a month to get a watch from So Cal to TN that way with no real updates for most of that period.
Old 10 July 2020, 12:12 AM   #14
gallahadesquire
"TRF" Member

I worked for the USPS one summer, in 1969. One letter I had was registered mail, with $3.06 postage. The cost of a regular stamp was six cents at that point. I never looked up the rates, that was a hell of a lot of insurance for one letter. I remember the letter was from Florida, and I think it was the deed to some property.
gallahadesquire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2020, 12:19 AM   #15
monet33
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Do not use USPS.
Going a little overboard don’t you think. Unless you have a business it’s not a good choice and you’re paying more.
Old 10 July 2020, 01:11 AM   #16
dukie748
"TRF" Member

I ship many packages via USPS - about 650 in the last two months - and they have lost 46 of them. May be due to the current pandemic, but it has completely changed my opinion - if I was shipping a watch right now it would be Next Day Air with Fedex or UPS.
dukie748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2020, 01:21 AM   #17
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

USPS Registered Mail is the “king” of secured ultra high dollar items being shipped from one location to the other. There is a chain of custody the entire way.
There is no other close comparison by FedEx or UPS.
You wouldn’t believe high high $$$$ items get sent this way. A $100k Rolex is chump change in comparison.
Mystro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2020, 01:48 AM   #18
fsprow
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5168, 5170P
I have shipped over 300 items, some quite valuable, over the last two years. Using USPS (regular or Registered), very lengthy time underway, poor tracking and several lost. I only ship now with Fedex, either self insured (meaning no purchased insurance) or insured with ParcelPro if a costly item. Zero problems, no losses.

Just my experience.
fsprow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2020, 02:00 AM   #19
stmoore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by monet33 View Post
Going a little overboard don’t you think. Unless you have a business it’s not a good choice and you’re paying more.
Nope. I don’t risk my watches, they don’t offer enough insurance, their support is bad, and I don’t want to wait a month for delivery. FedEx and private insurance.

Talk to any dealer on the forum and see who they use. File a claim with USPS and see how easy that is.

Lastly, Registered Mail with insurance has a liability limit of $50,000.
Old 10 July 2020, 02:04 AM   #20
Nikrnic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blnr, Expll, Subs,
Lately USPS has been pretty bad, short staffed. UPS or FEDEX only for me.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Nikrnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2020, 02:12 AM   #21
Sgooter
2024 Pledge Member

Parcel Pro accepts new accounts for businesses only, not for individuals. This has been their policy for a couple of years.
Sgooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2020, 02:18 AM   #22
monet33
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Nope. I don’t risk my watches, they don’t offer enough insurance, their support is bad, and I don’t want to wait a month for delivery. FedEx and private insurance.

Talk to any dealer on the forum and see who they use. File a claim with USPS and see how easy that is.

Lastly, Registered Mail with insurance has a liability limit of $50,000.
It’s good if you’re a dealer but I’m sure most people on this forum are just regular People
Old 10 July 2020, 02:22 AM   #23
monet33
"TRF" Member

I guess USPS is good if your delivery is local? Shipped yesterday and says out for delivery today in LA
Old 10 July 2020, 02:42 AM   #24
stmoore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by monet33 View Post
It’s good if you’re a dealer but I’m sure most people on this forum are just regular People
It’s just as good if you aren’t a dealer too. I actually save money on shipping FedEx with PP. I’m a private collector.
Old 10 July 2020, 08:25 AM   #25
jrbar-on
2024 Pledge Member

Best way to ship ...

Quote:

Do not use USPS.
Agreed - parcel pro is the way to go. I would never use USPS especially since they lost a Vacheron of mine. Fortunately I had insurance (Statefarm) as USPS refused to pay up even though it was insured with them. They claimed it was delivered but it was never signed for. After 4 months of arguing with them I gave up as SF paid me (I was hoping to pay SF back and make my agent faint if USPS ever came through).

Cheers,
Jonathan
jrbar-on is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2020, 09:01 AM   #26
fsprow
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5168, 5170P
Two years ago, when using USPS Registered, I filed a $35000 (recent appraisal) claim for a lost package (never signed for!). After seven months they finally paid $7900. Never again.
fsprow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2020, 09:43 AM   #27
barneb10
"TRF" Member

Wow. Lots of USPS horror stories. Really makes you think twice about using them.
barneb10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2020, 09:52 AM   #28
monet33
"TRF" Member

I guess it depends on location. Shipped yesterday and delivered today In Los Angeles
Old 10 July 2020, 10:09 AM   #29
campfire
"TRF" Member

I just called Parcel Pro. They won't take customers for a single one-off shipment. Commercial and higher volume private sellers only.

Any other alternatives to USPS registered?
campfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2020, 10:12 AM   #30
Polarexplorerii
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570,BLNR,116610
Quote:

Do not use USPS.
yup
Polarexplorerii is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
posting , usps