The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 5 July 2018, 12:02 PM   #1
etp
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 116500LN
Thoughts on Dark Side of the Moon?

I still can't figure it out, but I'm intrigued by the DSOTM collection. I've tried one on - the all black - and I hated it and loved it. Loved it for the size, ceramic case, and actually the strap. Hated it - well because I'm not sure how I'll feel about an all black watch in 48 hours after walking out the door. I honestly can't make up my mind on the line.

As the secondary prices continue to drop - we are close to breaking through $6k(!?!), they are getting more and more appealing.

What do you all think of them?
etp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2018, 01:39 PM   #2
thedak
"TRF" Member

Absolutely love this watch

thedak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2018, 03:05 PM   #3
Totoro
"TRF" Member

Watch: Omega PloProf
Went to try on the DSOTM this past weekend and it was really nice. But what I didn't expect was to be blown away by the Grey side. This is a watch that needs to be examined up close in person. Give it a try before you commit.

Now I'm on the lookout for a nice used GSOTM at a good price.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk
Totoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2018, 03:13 PM   #4
gttime
"TRF" Member

I had both the DSOTM Pitch Black and the GSOTM. I sold the DSOTM for $6k and it was painful as even with a big discount I paid a lot more.

I still have and love the GSOTM.

I think the original DSOTM is still the best version of the dark sides and as you say as the used prices are 50% msrp it’s possible I’ll be adding one to my collection when I come across the right deal.
gttime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2018, 04:09 PM   #5
uniqueMR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: P A T E K
Beautiful watch
Old 5 July 2018, 05:00 PM   #6
Bushido
"TRF" Member

I thoroughly enjoy mine. I've had it for a couple years now and it looks brand new even though I wear it in regular rotation. No regrets on purchasing mine.

As to the secondary pricing, I think it's mostly stabilized in the $6-7k range on average for all of the variations. My personal opinion is that you get one hell of a watch for that price point.
Bushido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2018, 11:28 AM   #7
SUPERDOC
"TRF" Member

The DSOTM is a fantastic watch.. but it continues to bother me how Omega fumbled the ball...

I remember talking to Stephen Urquhart and telling him... " you have something very special here, this is your "DAYTONA"... keep it 'Boutique only' if people want it, they have to pay full MSRP, and there might be a wait-list... but it will amplify the buzz you've already created"...

Instead.. they saturated the market, and then diluted it with 6 more "sides of the moon"...

the result is 50% MSRP on the grey market... so instead of people seeing it as a "must have/worth a premium"... they now assign the value of it to the discount price...

If Omega did have a Daytona or a PEPSI... there would be no premium/wait list/grey dealer maniacal laughter... there would be a daytona in every imaginable colour combination, and a pepsi would be available in a chrono, a day date, an annual calendar, and in 3 sizes...

the problem is that at Rolex, the primary goal is to be selling watches in another 100 years... at Omega, the primary Goal is to show Swatch group that you are posting sales each quarter... so the more watches you make - the more potential sales... once a wach leaves switzerland, it is 'sold'... Hayak and Swatch don't care what the end consumer pays...

the difference between independant family owned manufactures, and members of a big conglomerate...
Old 10 July 2018, 01:13 PM   #8
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPERDOC View Post
The DSOTM is a fantastic watch.. but it continues to bother me how Omega fumbled the ball...

I remember talking to Stephen Urquhart and telling him... " you have something very special here, this is your "DAYTONA"... keep it 'Boutique only' if people want it, they have to pay full MSRP, and there might be a wait-list... but it will amplify the buzz you've already created"...

Instead.. they saturated the market, and then diluted it with 6 more "sides of the moon"...

the result is 50% MSRP on the grey market... so instead of people seeing it as a "must have/worth a premium"... they now assign the value of it to the discount price...

If Omega did have a Daytona or a PEPSI... there would be no premium/wait list/grey dealer maniacal laughter... there would be a daytona in every imaginable colour combination, and a pepsi would be available in a chrono, a day date, an annual calendar, and in 3 sizes...

the problem is that at Rolex, the primary goal is to be selling watches in another 100 years... at Omega, the primary Goal is to show Swatch group that you are posting sales each quarter... so the more watches you make - the more potential sales... once a wach leaves switzerland, it is 'sold'... Hayak and Swatch don't care what the end consumer pays...

the difference between independant family owned manufactures, and members of a big conglomerate...
sensui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2018, 01:34 PM   #9
WJGESQ
Banned

Looks fantastic in photos.
WJGESQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2018, 02:36 AM   #10
DCheeta
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Amen, brother. Such a missed opportunity. The buzz and hype were already built-in when the DSOTM was announced because of the quality and innovation of the watch itself. All Omega had to do was not F it up. But they did.

Nonetheless, the watch is fantastic. OP: If the only thing you don't like about it is the black color then there are plenty of other colors to choose from, for better or for worse.
DCheeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2018, 07:24 AM   #11
asiparks
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the Detectives
Quote:

ummm... yeah, but it means I can pick up a very nice watch, I'd argue better than a Daytona, for around $6K. And I can get it within a couple of days.
I'm not really seeing a massive downside to that.
asiparks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2018, 08:41 AM   #12
malarky_hk
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Quote:

Errrr....where’s the downside? As a consumer, I’d rather pay less and have access to the watch and not have to play stupid games with the AD and beg them to take my money on what is essentially a luxury product and have them snigger when I ask to buy it.
malarky_hk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2018, 09:19 PM   #13
SUPERDOC
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by malarky_hk View Post
Errrr....where’s the downside? As a consumer, I’d rather pay less and have access to the watch and not have to play stupid games with the AD and beg them to take my money on what is essentially a luxury product and have them snigger when I ask to buy it.

the downside is in brand prestige.. It's a downside for Omega, and for the sales people in boutiques trying to sell them...

I agree that in this seller's market, we all have very little sympathy fo rthe seller... but as someone who loves Omega, I feel the sting of it being genuinely referred to as a discount brand..

The funny thing about Rolex, no one who has one of the hot models is complaining about the strategy...
Old 12 July 2018, 05:02 AM   #14
asiparks
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the Detectives
Quote:
the downside is in brand prestige.. It's a downside for Omega, and for the sales people in boutiques trying to sell them...
At least the sales reps in Omega boutiques have watches to sell...

Quote:
I agree that in this seller's market, we all have very little sympathy fo rthe seller... but as someone who loves Omega, I feel the sting of it being genuinely referred to as a discount brand..
Not me. I know I'm wearing a great watch that I didn't pay a massive "popularity tax" on. The prestige of a brand is something that exists in peoples heads, driven more by advertising expenditure than technical prowess. My interest is in owning watches I like, not trying to one-up other people.

Quote:
The funny thing about Rolex, no one who has one of the hot models is complaining about the strategy...
of course they're not, especially if they paid retail. Unfortunately, the AD strategy of selling to their best, biggest spending customers prevents new people entering into the brand. Some people will buy into the frenzy and pay over the odds or get on some notional "waiting list" because they have to have a Rolex. Others might start looking into options and discover Omega, IWC, Blancpain, GO.....

Rolex watches do mostly retain value better from MSRP for those who insist on only buying new from AD's, but other brands bought wisely on the secondary market don't do that badly.
asiparks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2018, 05:11 AM   #15
benlee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, PP
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCheeta View Post
Amen, brother. Such a missed opportunity. The buzz and hype were already built-in when the DSOTM was announced because of the quality and innovation of the watch itself. All Omega had to do was not F it up. But they did.

Nonetheless, the watch is fantastic. OP: If the only thing you don't like about it is the black color then there are plenty of other colors to choose from, for better or for worse.
This. One reason why I sold the DSOTM and most likely not be gettinv another Omega. I loss track long ago how many variations of the Speedmaster there is and not counting the DSOTM spin-offs once the original achieved some success. Basically just cosmetic changes to the same watch and milking the line.
Old 12 July 2018, 05:18 AM   #16
benlee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, PP
Quote:

Well Said.

Tags
omega , speedmaster