The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 4 July 2018, 07:51 AM   #1
PHARO
"TRF" Member

speedmaster purchase..need guidance

So I’m leaning towards a speedmaster and need some guidance. First I don’t know a lot about speedmaster, other than they look great and have a very good reputation.

It seems like some omegas don’t hold their value as well as other brands Like Rolex etc. I’m not a flipper and will wear this every day however I would like to pick a watch that has a better chance of holding its value.

What’s the big difference in the hesalite vs. sapphire ?

I don’t want anything larger than 42mm case

I would like one that has the date but it’s not a must.

Please share your thoughts, I plan to purchase in the next couple weeks

Also I could use some education on which movement or movements would be the best
PHARO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2018, 08:42 AM   #2
arcadelt
"TRF" Member

speedmaster purchase..need guidance

These questions have been asked many times. While some will have an alternate view, most would say buy a basic Speedmaster Professional "Moonwatch" with a hesalite crystal. It’s nominally 42mm, manual wind and without a date, but iconic. To get the best value, buy one fin the grey market or lightly used, and you won’t lose too much if/when you decide to sell.
arcadelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2018, 05:12 AM   #3
AEC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Idiot Savant
Quote:
Originally Posted by arcadelt View Post
These questions have been asked many times. While some will have an alternate view, most would say buy a basic Speedmaster Professional "Moonwatch" with a hesalite crystal. It’s nominally 42mm, manual wind and without a date, but iconic. To get the best value, buy one fin the grey market or lightly used, and you won’t lose too much if/when you decide to sell.

I agree. Look for a like-new or NIB example for mid-$3k range. Sapphire isn’t a bad choice if you want to look at the movement, but the warm luster of the Hesalite crystal is an essential trait I wouldn’t want to miss.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2018, 06:44 AM   #4
Neek
"TRF" Member

If value is what you are after,, or even investment potential I would look to the vintage market. It's great fun to learn about all the iterations and the subtle differences between the various references.

Hesalite is what I would consider the "classic" Speedmaster crystal. It scratches easier and it can crack, but it changes the look of the watch significantly (for the better IMO).

When I started looking around I fell in love with the older vintage references and ended up getting a 145.022-71 from my birth year, and I couldn't be happier with it.
Neek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2018, 04:15 AM   #5
slobdogg
"TRF" Member

FWIW I got the sapphire because of its durability and the seethru caseback. The next day I exchanged for a Hesalite. I couldn't get past the white ring around the dial.
slobdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2018, 04:23 AM   #6
DahMan
Banned

I’m almost afraid to say it, because I am getting ready to purchase one. I had the man on the moon, it is manual wind, no date. I didn’t like either of these conditions. I am now purchasing a used “1957” Broad Arrow” circa 2010. They are automatics, dates, and sapphire, and it is almost the identical footprint to the 42mm man on the moon.
Should have it, next week.
DahMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2018, 04:50 AM   #7
Fujiman
Banned

I have other watches with sapphire crystals and date features. When I bought my 3570.50 many years ago, it was about a year or two old and I bought it from a private seller who included an Omega dual rail alligator strap. I paid $1500. He'd paid about $2200 for the watch and strap (he bought it from an AD and included the original sales receipt) in 2002.

So, depending on how long you hold it, you could get all of your money back and then some. I wanted a version as close to what NASA issued so Hesalite was an obvious choice. I stay up with polishing the crystal, usually using a cloth called Miracle Cloth.
Fujiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2018, 05:47 AM   #8
Justinmg
"TRF" Member

Watch: PO
Get the original moonwatch, you won’t regret it. The hesalite is beautiful and easy to polish the scratches out.

Does it do anything? It tells the time.
Justinmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2018, 10:50 AM   #9
AEC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Idiot Savant
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fujiman View Post
I have other watches with sapphire crystals and date features. When I bought my 3570.50 many years ago, it was about a year or two old and I bought it from a private seller who included an Omega dual rail alligator strap. I paid $1500. He'd paid about $2200 for the watch and strap (he bought it from an AD and included the original sales receipt) in 2002.

So, depending on how long you hold it, you could get all of your money back and then some. I wanted a version as close to what NASA issued so Hesalite was an obvious choice. I stay up with polishing the crystal, usually using a cloth called Miracle Cloth.
I think I may have that same alligator strap. Is yours the one that tapers down to a regular 16mm buckle (not a deployant)? If so, then you'll appreciate why I'm being so careful to nurture and preserve the condition of mine. That strap is long gone from Omega's stock of replacements, and mine is super soft, comfy, and great looking.
AEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2018, 11:01 AM   #10
MP5
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slobdogg View Post
FWIW I got the sapphire because of its durability and the seethru caseback. The next day I exchanged for a Hesalite. I couldn't get past the white ring around the dial.
Yupp, its very unfortunate and changes the character of the speedy into something unpleasant.
MP5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2018, 10:37 PM   #11
karmatp
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justinmg View Post
Get the original moonwatch, you won’t regret it. The hesalite is beautiful and easy to polish the scratches out.
X's 1000. I am wearing mine as I type this and love it. Hesalite is the way to go, it's beautiful.
Old 9 July 2018, 03:23 AM   #12
Fujiman
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEC View Post
I think I may have that same alligator strap. Is yours the one that tapers down to a regular 16mm buckle (not a deployant)? If so, then you'll appreciate why I'm being so careful to nurture and preserve the condition of mine. That strap is long gone from Omega's stock of replacements, and mine is super soft, comfy, and great looking.
Yes, that's the one I have. Honestly, I'd prefer to sell it because I don't like the taper to 16mm. I much prefer the beefy, chrono style alligator straps from Hirsch which taper to 18mm.

This is a photo grab for the style Omega strap that came with the watch along with the metal bracelet:

Fujiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2018, 02:58 AM   #13
Justindo
"TRF" Member

If you want the classic moonwatch go for it. If you want to admire the movement and want added durability, go for the "sapphire sandwich". I have the latter but there's really no wrong choice. Resale will be a similar percentage of MSRP. Make sure you get a good discount via an authorized dealer or gray market.
Justindo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2018, 10:53 PM   #14
ajg278
"TRF" Member

Go hesalite 10000% I cant get over how awesome the crystal looks. I’m considering throwing a sapphire vase back on it as well to see the movement. Standard moonwatch is all you need

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ajg278 is offline   Reply With Quote