The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!!

Old 1 June 2018, 01:00 PM   #1
rushca01
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT BLRO
Would this bother you?

Bought a new to me 116610 and as soon as I opened it I saw a small issue. Watch was described as excellent condition. Has an original purchase date of 2017. Seller has agreed to take it back no questions, I of course had to wire the money and they are only willing to mail me a check...that’s kind of frustrating... I’m not sure it’s worth the hassle and If I shouldn’t just keep it. I’m leaving Monday for vacation and the mailed check will be sitting in mail box for a week...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
rushca01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2018, 01:04 PM   #2
jenedla
"TRF" Member

Watch: can't choose
That would not bother me unless described as BNIB. And...depending on how much I saved vs. buying at an AD.
jenedla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2018, 01:06 PM   #3
rushca01
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenedla View Post
That would not bother me unless described as BNIB. And...depending on how much I saved vs. buying at an AD.
Thanks, that’s what I’m trying to determine. It may not be worth it to mess with it and move on.
Old 1 June 2018, 01:17 PM   #4
roaddog359
"TRF" Member

Watch: Bluesy
maybe ask for a slight discount. Sellers need to describe accurately. Excellent to me is no damage, scratches, ect.. As close to bnib as you can get.
roaddog359 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2018, 01:22 PM   #5
J_1964
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710
If you got a good deal, I would keep it. If it already has it's first blemish, you will have less to worry about. I picked up a 16710 GMT with a small blemish that I intended to be my daily wear.

I kinda wear it with Reckless Abandon, Because It Already Has It's First Scratch!
J_1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2018, 01:26 PM   #6
BNA/LION
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: ROLEX
Nope!

✦ 28238 President DD 18K/YG ✦ 16610LN SS Sub ✦ 16613 18K/SS Serti ✦ 16550 Exp II Non-Rail Cream Dial ✦ Daytona C 116500 ✦ 126710 BLRO GMT-Master II ✦ NEXT-->?
Hole In One! 10/3/19 DMCC 5th hole, par 3, 168 yards w/ 4-Iron.
BNA/LION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2018, 01:47 PM   #7
crowncollection
"TRF" Member

if it is not new i would think that is fairly normal for a used watch
Old 1 June 2018, 01:47 PM   #8
c41006
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pelagos
It wouldn’t bother me a bit. That alone would not disqualify it from being described as excellent condition.
c41006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2018, 02:09 PM   #9
rolehex

Quote:
Originally Posted by roaddog359 View Post
maybe ask for a slight discount. Sellers need to describe accurately. Excellent to me is no damage, scratches, ect.. As close to bnib as you can get.
This is what I would do, Doesn't hurt to tell the buyer your not completely happy with his "Excellent Rating".
rolehex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2018, 02:15 PM   #10
untchble
"TRF" Member

I would send it back since it bothers you.
untchble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2018, 02:29 PM   #11
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
It does look to be in excellent condition and I expect that the seller could turn around and sell it again easily for the same or more.

Used isn't new, and a week wearing it will likely result in even more wear and tear.

Those who cry "gimme more discount" and want to break down everything into how many nickels and dimes they can get out of a transaction dishearten me.

The seller likely knows it's a reasonable deal and is willing to take it back if you are not satisfied; he seems like an honest broker.
Old 1 June 2018, 02:33 PM   #12
American Jedi
Banned

Watch: Rollie’s and JLC
Not really. Specially if you’re planning on wearing it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
American Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2018, 04:16 PM   #13
Andad

Watch: A few.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
It does look to be in excellent condition and I expect that the seller could turn around and sell it again easily for the same or more.

Used isn't new, and a week wearing it will likely result in even more wear and tear.

Those who cry "gimme more discount" and want to break down everything into how many nickels and dimes they can get out of a transaction dishearten me.

The seller likely knows it's a reasonable deal and is willing to take it back if you are not satisfied; he seems like an honest broker.
x2.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2018, 04:34 PM   #14
Swiss Mad!
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
The seller should really have highlighted any individual dings/scrapes/scratches etc to be fair to the potential purchaser.

Interpretation of 'excellent condition' obviously varies depending on whether your buying or selling!

If it was me that had purchased that watch and the seller hadn't made me aware of it, I would feel a little disgruntled to say the least.

As others have said, you have to expect some signs of wear, after all it's been worn so it would be unreasonable not to.

However, that's had quite a bang to make an indent in the case like that, so it would have been nice if the seller had at least made you aware of it before you committed to purchase.

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

instagram: max.parkin
Swiss Mad! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2018, 05:02 PM   #15
dmash
"TRF" Member

The watch looks like ‘excellent condition WITH a slight ding’. Anybody saying that this shouldn’t have been explicitly outlined in the listing is taking the seller’s side unfairly. I would definitely tell the seller you’re a little disgruntled it was not mentioned, and perhaps ask about a slight discount to remedy the situation.

With that being said, the seller obviously seems like a stand up guy that he is 100% willing to take it back with no questions asked. He could have made a simple mistake of overlooking it, especially if he has a lot of volume to deal with.
dmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2018, 05:32 PM   #16
Bob the brush
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1016 Explorer.
It wouldn't bother me either. Just wear it and forget it, you'll soon mask that with other dinks and scratches, your vacation may add some, you never know!
Bob the brush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2018, 06:02 PM   #17
rushca01
"TRF" Member

Thanks for all the replies. Again, no issue with the seller other than the check thing instead of a wire back to me. I would say the deal was fair price wise, not great but not bad seeing as what the market is right now. Scratches don’t bother me near as much as dings, it was purchased with the intent to be a daily beater for me which is part of the reason I would consider keeping it.
Old 1 June 2018, 06:33 PM   #18
JayB
"TRF" Member

Watch: EXP, DJ, NF
Maybe the pictures aren't very clear but the damage looks very minor to me.

You're not going to notice it on the wrist so I'd keep it and forget about it.

Rolex Explorer -- Rolex Datejust -- Tudor North Flag -- Omega De Ville Trésor -- Tudor Black Bay GMT -- Omega Speedmaster Professional -- Tudor Black Bay Fifty Eight
JayB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2018, 08:55 PM   #19
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
No would not bother me at all
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2018, 09:06 PM   #20
fskywalker
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Is Ticking !
Quote:
Originally Posted by rushca01 View Post
Thanks for all the replies. Again, no issue with the seller other than the check thing instead of a wire back to me. I would say the deal was fair price wise, not great but not bad seeing as what the market is right now. Scratches don’t bother me near as much as dings, it was purchased with the intent to be a daily beater for me which is part of the reason I would consider keeping it.

As said by others would not bother me as it is on the lower end and perhaps you can ask for a small price adjustment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Zenith 02.470.405
Henry Archer Eclipse

2FA security enabled
fskywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2018, 10:00 PM   #21
rushca01
"TRF" Member

I know if I tried to sell it I would get hammered by buyers. What’s so frustrating is how a non dealer like myself can spot it as soon as I open the box and the broker/seller said they never it saw it. Huge volumes or not....shame on me for asking more specific questions and for more specific pictures. Just frustrating is all. It still rubs me the wrong way they aren’t willing to wire the money back to me....that upsets me the most.
Old 1 June 2018, 10:10 PM   #22
nyyankees
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1216610
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post

This...alternatively is the seller has others of the same model perhaps ask to upgrade to the same model in mint condition and in that case I would expect that you would pay the difference in cost and shipping.
nyyankees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2018, 10:22 PM   #23
GoingPlaces
"TRF" Member

It wasn't bought new, looks fine.
GoingPlaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2018, 10:32 PM   #24
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I know if I tried to sell it I would get hammered by buyers. What’s so frustrating is how a non dealer like myself can spot it as soon as I open the box and the broker/seller said they never it saw it. Huge volumes or not....shame on me for asking more specific questions and for more specific pictures. Just frustrating is all. It still rubs me the wrong way they aren’t willing to wire the money back to me....that upsets me the most.
I think they do this because of the fees incurred by sending you back a wire.
dmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2018, 11:45 PM   #25
rushca01
"TRF" Member

Thanks again for all the replies. I have decided to keep it and move on with life, you can only see it in certain light and if you run your finger across it you can feel it. I'm sure it can be addressed at service some time in the future, it still has 4 years of warranty left on it and was originally purchased at a US AD. Set was complete minus the green seal, hang tag, and white outer sleeve. It did include all books and links including the half link.
Old 1 June 2018, 11:51 PM   #26
alex_moreno111
"TRF" Member

The thought of putting any of those natos on your beautiful watch bothers me more than a ding! (I'm joking) enjoy it very much!!
alex_moreno111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 June 2018, 12:00 AM   #27
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
Quote:
Thanks again for all the replies. I have decided to keep it and move on with life, you can only see it in certain light and if you run your finger across it you can feel it. I'm sure it can be addressed at service some time in the future, it still has 4 years of warranty left on it and was originally purchased at a US AD. Set was complete minus the green seal, hang tag, and white outer sleeve. It did include all books and links including the half link.
Great move.

As others said, it fits the loose criteria of excellent. And you’ll have your own love marks soon enough. This tiny ding wasn’t worth the time and hassle to return it.
Abdullah71601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 June 2018, 12:06 AM   #28
superstarmar
Banned

Watch: my wrist presence
Quote:
It's on the under side and not really noticeable ....
Could easily be addressed at service like you said.
superstarmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 June 2018, 12:30 AM   #29
77T

I think your decision is fine. Such a slight blemish shouldn’t reduce your enjoyment.

The only way a buyer should consider a return or an accommodation is if Alfred’s - FNFZ4 - questions are answered in advance and you find the watch doesn’t match what you were told.

Alfred did a great job posting his own buying guide in the reference section - and I’ve used it often. I highly recommend it to avoid pitfalls.

Here’s my shortened version:

1) Crystal
Always run finger nail on the rim of the Crystal to check for chips. Or if seller is remote, have him/her do it and report back.

2) Bezel and Insert
Is it original? is it dented?
Is it aligned?
Is it turning properly? (if a rotating bezel)

3) Case
Dents?
Dings?
Corrosion?
Laser Soldering?
Incorrect Polish/Over Polished?

4) Bracelet
Clasp code match with serial number in terms of estimated production date?
What is the condition of the Coronet?
Is there any stretch on the bracelet?
Does it have all links?
Are the screws damaged?
Does the clasp close properly?

5) Movement
Does the date change correctly?
Do the hour and minute hands move smoothly?
Can you feel or hear the rotor inside?
Does watch wind very smoothly?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 June 2018, 06:18 AM   #30
123Blueface
"TRF" Member

Watch: All
Quote:
Great decision.
Enjoy in good health.
123Blueface is offline   Reply With Quote