The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 21 July 2018, 11:54 PM   #31
NLYogi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingPlaces View Post
DD40 is the way to go, it's the flagship of Rolex. Especially in YG. Not a grandpa watch at all, worn by world leader for decades. Plus, the OF Daytona is too expensive, I'd all gold Daytona first.
I understand what you say but I would not get a DD because Obama or Idi Amin has one. Also not because it is a flagship model of Rolex. Somehow that is not the right emotional connection to have with a watch. Not deep enough.

Same for the Speedmaster. I don’t care if it was on the moon (ok, it is famous because it was. And without the moon trip we probably would never hear about it). For me it is nice to know it was on the moon, but it is such a great watch to see, wear and own. Same for the DD. It is pure emotion. Funny to try to describe this, guess I am a WIS somehow!

1 Watch guy
NLYogi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2018, 11:57 PM   #32
GoingPlaces
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLYogi View Post
I understand what you say but I would not get a DD because Obama or Idi Amin has one. Also not because it is a flagship model of Rolex. Somehow that is not the right emotional connection to have with a watch. Not deep enough.

Same for the Speedmaster. I don’t care if it was on the moon (ok, it is famous because it was. And without the moon trip we probably would never hear about it). For me it is nice to know it was on the moon, but it is such a great watch to see, wear and own. Same for the DD. It is pure emotion. Funny to try to describe this, guess I am a WIS somehow!
Definitely a WIS! A bit more romantic on the subject than I as well.
GoingPlaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2018, 12:03 AM   #33
Tampashooter
"TRF" Member

If I want a rubber strap watch, I’ll wear my Panerai.

Tampashooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2018, 12:31 AM   #34
Bxtek
"TRF" Member

I love the DD but I also love that Daytona too! I can see how you would be torn in your decision between the two.

The DD is the classic flagship Rolex imo. It's the model that is recognized as a Rolex from 20 feet away, even by non-watch enthusiasts. It's dressy, classy, flashy and elegant all at the same time. Plus the features it has of the Day and Date is always handy. I've always loved the look of the hidden clasp. You can never really go wrong with this one imo.

The Daytona is obviously a much more modern style watch with the ceramic bezel, Oysterflex rubber strap, newer style of clasp, and of course the chrono function is the main feature here. I feel that it also can be dressy and flashy but also has that sporty look to it. Any watch enthusiast will know what this is and will most likely draw a conversation. To non-watch enthusiasts, you could be wearing an Invicta, a Bulova or similar and get the same respect. I guess what I'm saying is that there are a lot of lower end watches that roughly copy this same style.

I personally would probably go for the Daytona as I love the modern look/features, the chrono function, and how it can be used for casual wear as well as formal occasions. I think I know how you would feel though as the DD is also pretty striking and will always wonder if you made the right decision! I do prefer peterpl's dials tho, and I think the brown and green against the gold looks fantastic!
Bxtek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2018, 12:47 AM   #35
Pacheco
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD40,DJ41,YM Blue
This one gives me plenty of life!! And I traded my WG Daytona for it because I needed a date and never used the chronograph.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 9864D81D-C07B-4DC2-9A94-2680C7E68F53.jpeg (120.5 KB, 203 views)
File Type: jpeg 4ECB2D0C-375A-40AA-A317-C4982A3F00BA.jpeg (143.1 KB, 207 views)
Old 22 July 2018, 12:52 AM   #36
TimeToWatch
Banned

Watch: Rolex & AP
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3581512 View Post
I know, I know, another one of these "help me decide" posts, and ultimately I have to decide for myself.
But where else can I turn

The consensus seems to be the oysterflex Daytona is overpriced, at that msrp I should go for a full PM watch, since I don't have one already.
But taking cost out of the equation, I'm viewing this as an emotional vs usefulness debate.

The questions I've been asking myself are basically:
Since cost is similar, wouldn't it make sense to get the watch that would be used more?
How much weight should the emotional appeal of the DD affect the decision?

The Daytona would have much greater utility, it would easily be my daily watch and I could wear it without worry.
compared to the DD
-less flashy
-less worry about bezel or bracelet scuffs,
-still enough bling to keep me satisfied

In terms of usefulness, it definitely beats the daydate, but the downside is, it's not a day date.
Maybe Rolex marketing has really gotten me, but even with the Daytona I would likely still want a Day Date, even if that means the DD would stay home on many more occasions.
What do you think?
Sounds to me like you’re already sold on the Daytona, but just can’t wrap your head around the price. As you alluded to, I think you should remove cost from the equation and get the watch which speaks to you most. If you buy the watch you truly love, you won’t have to worry about flipping it in a couple years. And in terms of durability, as you’ve explained, the Daytona wins in a landslide.

This is the one I bought
TimeToWatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2018, 12:54 AM   #37
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
I think you're right...if you get the Daytona you'll still want the DD. And probably vice versa.

So it really doesn't matter which one you get first. Maybe the Daytona, since you see that as more of an everyday watch? Good luck,
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2018, 01:26 AM   #38
RoyalOac
"TRF" Member

Daytonas belong on bracelets so by default the DD40 for me.
Rolex Submariner 126613 LB
Audemars Piguet Royal Oak 15300ST
RoyalOac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2018, 01:33 AM   #39
Bxtek
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacheco View Post
This one gives me plenty of life!! And I traded my WG Daytona for it because I needed a date and never used the chronograph.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeToWatch View Post
Sounds to me like you’re already sold on the Daytona, but just can’t wrap your head around the price. As you alluded to, I think you should remove cost from the equation and get the watch which speaks to you most. If you buy the watch you truly love, you won’t have to worry about flipping it in a couple years. And in terms of durability, as you’ve explained, the Daytona wins in a landslide.

This is the one I bought
Alright guys......I made my "fantasy" choice of which watch I would pick, but with posts like these, I'm already second guessing myself! I have a feeling we aren't helping the OP too much at this point. Lol!

Love the dial on your DD Pacheco! Do you have a close up pic of the dial?

Your WG Daytona looks fantastic TimeToWatch! Now you're giving me a 3rd option to think about. Thankfully none of these are in my budget right now anyway. :)
Bxtek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2018, 06:55 AM   #40
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Watch: ^^^ for now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Etschell View Post
but would you shell out your cold hard cash for it over a full gold daytona on bracelet not strap?
I did. And I’d do it again

Present: 16600, 116509, Cartier Santos Green.
Devildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2018, 07:00 AM   #41
watchmework
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710BLRO, 116600
Yg dd40
watchmework is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2018, 07:04 AM   #42
BobDyl
"TRF" Member

OysterFlex has a lot of fans on the forum. Personally, I don't like it, it just looks wrong and retrofitted to me, especially with the strange partial end links. Strongly believe the Daytona belongs on a bracelet. Speaking of bracelets, the DD President bracelet is one of the best of all time....
BobDyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2018, 08:59 AM   #43
doboy007
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR/LVc/SkyD/ND41
DD screams old person. Love YG OF.
doboy007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2018, 10:17 AM   #44
rexG
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them
DD40 is an old mans watch?? Hardly. Its just in a different category.
116619LB SMURF
rexG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2018, 11:45 AM   #45
mj1214
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingPlaces View Post
DD40 is the way to go, it's the flagship of Rolex. Especially in YG. Not a grandpa watch at all, worn by world leader for decades. Plus, the OF Daytona is too expensive, I'd all gold Daytona first.
Agreed
mj1214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2018, 11:46 AM   #46
mj1214
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by rexg View Post
dd40 is an old mans watch?? Hardly. Its just in a different category.
+1
mj1214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2018, 02:14 PM   #47
Investr
Banned

Watch: Constantly changes
I too considered these two. I felt the DD was just too dressy and a buddy of mine wears his all the time and I dont like it at all with casual clothes (AT ALL). The second we finish golf, he pops it on and i just feel it looks out of place with casual attire. Now the Daytona on OF- I bought the YG a month ago bc it has a sportier feel and look and the OF cuts the flash of an all gold piece. And the gold still gives it the right amount of bling. Love mine!!
Investr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2018, 02:22 AM   #48
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the replies everyone, happy to get others opinions on these two, gives me more to think about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchwatcher View Post
I think you're right...if you get the Daytona you'll still want the DD. And probably vice versa.
I think you're right about that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeToWatch View Post

This is the one I bought
Great shot, looks amazing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacheco View Post
Love the black dial on YG, I probably wouldn't use the chronograph much either
3581512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2018, 04:28 AM   #49
Simon_e
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbyman View Post
DD looks like a grandad watch. Daytona looks like the wearer has some life left in them.

Which are you?
This suns it up perfectly.

A DD is a beautiful watch but the image is associated with old men. I will probably buy one when I am in my 60's. Until then the Daytona would be my choice.
Old 23 July 2018, 04:46 AM   #50
Pkim024
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterpl View Post
LOL - dont think so. DD is a boss watch worn by ppl who are shot callers.
This... end of story.
Pkim024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2018, 05:20 AM   #51
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon_e View Post
This suns it up perfectly.

A DD is a beautiful watch but the image is associated with old men. I will probably buy one when I am in my 60's. Until then the Daytona would be my choice.
not really sure how you can say this when the day date is one of the first watches most young athletes and celebs buy when they get money
huncho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2018, 05:21 AM   #52
"TRF" Member

I don't think the DD, especially in the 40mm size, is an old man watch at all
3581512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2018, 05:42 AM   #53
T01
"TRF" Member

As much as I love the OF Daytona, I’d go DD40. I see the OF as a piece to add after a full PM bracelet piece is already in the collection, especially considering the small price different in the grey market.
T01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2018, 05:48 AM   #54
bruinmd
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek/Rolex/GS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devildog View Post
It’s all a matter of personal preference of course but the best looking watch in that picture by some margin is the YG Daytona on Oysterflex
Agreed
bruinmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2018, 06:10 AM   #55
MariettaMike
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II BLRO
Good choice whatever you choose.
MariettaMike is offline   Reply With Quote