The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 22 July 2018, 11:15 PM   #1
Jonford
"TRF" Member

A Speedmaster for a vintage Rolex?

Am i mad to think about selling my Speedmaster Pro to fund a vintage Rolex OP/Air-King/Oyster Precision? I love the smaller 34mm case, and hardly wear the Omega, favouring my Tudor Oyster. But i look at my Speedy (which i have owned from new) and smile. Is it a waste of a watch not wear it, but to keep out of sentimentality? I have no sons (got 2 girls) so its not like i am owning it to keep as a family heirloom. But its the moonwatch and im sure Omega owners would be screaming at me to keep it. What to do?!
Jonford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2018, 12:29 AM   #2
cvera
"TRF" Member

If you're not going to wear it/have no desire for it then go ahead and trade. I don't have a speedmaster but I do have a planet ocean I wouldn't trade. I do like the 34mm Rolex but not everyone likes the size. Here's my engine turned bezel oyster perpetual date.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screenshot_20180722-072220~2-288x245.png (140.6 KB, 555 views)
cvera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2018, 01:00 AM   #3
zetaplus93
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114270 & 116710LN
If funds permit, you could get the Rolex now and see if you truly won’t wear the moonwatch anymore. After a few months you should know and could sell the Omega then.
Old 23 July 2018, 01:02 AM   #4
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 12800ft = 3900m
Firstly, I wouldn't trade the Speedy for the watches you listed. Secondly, you mentioned sentimental value. I don't know what that may be, but that is usually worth an irreplaceable amount for me. So what you don't have sons, are girls any less worthy of something from Dad. My wife still has her deceased fathers house slippers.
After going through about five Rolex, I have a strict policy now, buy to keep or don't buy at all. Good luck with your decision.
Rashid.bk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2018, 01:53 AM   #5
FTX I
"TRF" Member

Not something I'd do but this is not about my choices. If you don't wear it move it.
FTX I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2018, 02:13 AM   #6
Jonford
"TRF" Member

Saying that, my eldest would probably want it, she calls my watches her clocks, so i guess it is hers. I might be more to with me being impatient, i dont tend to save and have gotten into the habit (with photography at least) of buyjng, wanting something else, and selling to buy = gear envy = GAS (gear acquisition syndrome). I know i dont want to sell, and i just want a solution to buy.
Old 23 July 2018, 02:27 AM   #7
2001jesper
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116234
Would not trade it for a vintage Airking. You would be at losing end of that trade
2001jesper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2018, 02:31 AM   #8
kanderson1965
"TRF" Member

Watch: with mother
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvera View Post
If you're not going to wear it/have no desire for it then go ahead and trade. I don't have a speedmaster but I do have a planet ocean I wouldn't trade. I do like the 34mm Rolex but not everyone likes the size. Here's my engine turned bezel oyster perpetual date.
Nice to see an identical Date to mine, it went in for a service yesterday and I can’t wait for it to return. Mind you I left the AD with an Explorer to keep me company in the mean time.
kanderson1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2018, 02:43 AM   #9
bp1000
"TRF" Member

I’d keep it

I also adore my speedy / stare at it in admiration often but wear it infrequently

Strange one indeed.

I’d wait to add the other once funds become available
bp1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2018, 03:36 AM   #10
Jonford
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bp1000 View Post
I’d keep it

I also adore my speedy / stare at it in admiration often but wear it infrequently

Strange one indeed.

I’d wait to add the other once funds become available
I completely agree. I doubt it, then i look at it, feel guilty, and love it again. I dont think i can sell.
Old 23 July 2018, 04:49 AM   #11
doramas
Banned

I would not do it
doramas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2018, 04:52 AM   #12
jlafou1
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
I sold a premoon Speedmaster for a SubC and have 0 regrets. Buy what you want and don’t let others tell you otherwise.
jlafou1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2018, 05:27 AM   #13
Jonford
"TRF" Member

I think i will wear it for a while and see how i feel. I have been used to 34mm for a couple of months now, maybe i need to get used to bigger size again.
Old 23 July 2018, 05:31 AM   #14
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonford View Post
Am i mad to think about selling my Speedmaster Pro to fund a vintage Rolex OP/Air-King/Oyster Precision? I love the smaller 34mm case, and hardly wear the Omega, favouring my Tudor Oyster. But i look at my Speedy (which i have owned from new) and smile. Is it a waste of a watch not wear it, but to keep out of sentimentality? I have no sons (got 2 girls) so its not like i am owning it to keep as a family heirloom. But its the moonwatch and im sure Omega owners would be screaming at me to keep it. What to do?!
imo sentimentality gets too much credit, if you're not using it and really think you'd be fine letting it go, then trade it for something else. I'd rather have a new experience with a different watch rather than a watch left sitting in a drawer for years
3581512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2018, 05:43 AM   #15
Stalex
Banned

Watch: Rolex 116710
In as much as you don’t wear your Speedmaster often, i still feel you shouldn’t trade cause from your post i see a strong love behind the Omega. You can always get the Rolex when the time comes and also possible if you trade, it could end up as you still rocking the Tudor as always.So try not to have a great regret in what even decision you make.
Stalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2018, 05:44 AM   #16
hhtwaijri
"TRF" Member

The Speedmaster has it's own legacy. Overshadows all other Omega models, and some Rolex models too.

The best looking watch ever made. Perfect dial contrast. Classic look. And the whole history behind it.

My first real watch, which is still my favourite of my collection, even though it doesn't have the most wrist time.

Never sell a moonwatch. It will always make you smile.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
hhtwaijri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2018, 06:53 AM   #17
Jonford
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhtwaijri View Post
The Speedmaster has it's own legacy. Overshadows all other Omega models, and some Rolex models too.

The best looking watch ever made. Perfect dial contrast. Classic look. And the whole history behind it.

My first real watch, which is still my favourite of my collection, even though it doesn't have the most wrist time.

Never sell a moonwatch. It will always make you smile.

It’s my first mechanical watch also, that’s why it is such a difficult decision.
Old 23 July 2018, 06:54 AM   #18
Jonford
"TRF" Member

Quote:
It’s my first mechanical watch also, that’s why it is such a difficult decision.
Its a stunner by the way, no matter what strap. I reckon you could put it on string and would look sexy.
Old 23 July 2018, 07:15 AM   #19
hhtwaijri
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Its a stunner by the way, no matter what strap. I reckon you could put it on string and would look sexy.

Exactly!... No other watch has the same aesthetics as the Speedmaster pro, yet it looks extremely professional.

hhtwaijri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2018, 11:32 PM   #20
Raza_actual
"TRF" Member

Watch: Monaco
I know I wouldn’t make the trade. I say just wear the Speedmaster more. It really is the perfect chronograph.
Old 23 July 2018, 11:54 PM   #21
polaris72
2024 Pledge Member

Girls can wear speedy and I am sure they would appreciate it given it is coming from you. You had it from new, keep it.
polaris72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2018, 11:56 PM   #22
Case61
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

This is certainly a "to each his/her own" question, but I personally think there is no better bang for the buck than the classic Speedy, from every angle: looks, durability (with a little help from Polywatch), history, comfort, price.

Case61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2018, 12:01 AM   #23
actionkwj
"TRF" Member

Watch: me soak up the sun
I wouldn’t trade a Speedy personally, but I’m also not into holding valuable watches that I don’t wear. Better on someone else’s wrist than a dark drawer!

Follow my watches on Instagram @vintagearmadillo
actionkwj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2018, 02:47 AM   #24
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
It’s a tough call, but in the end if you are not wearing it, the next trade it in for something that you will. It would be different if it was a vintage speedy, but if a modern reference then make the trade. If you find you want another in the future, it would be easy to find.
Chester01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2018, 03:48 AM   #25
2nastie
"TRF" Member

Watch: Time Only
Tough call on the wear aspect, but for those options I would not do the trade. If it was towards GMT/Sub/Daytona I would say go for it.

I've parted with my minty pre-moon 145.012 towards my AP. But my modern sapphire sandwich I have a hard time parting (since it was my first mechanical piece). I'm the same as you, I don't wear it. The odd occasion only. I've been thinking about trading it but for it's value you get such a little return. It's a great bang for its buck. One would hope or foresee something changing especially with all the hype everywhere on SS watches.

Also, while size is personal preference, the prices for 34mm Rolex watches IMO are a quite overpriced right now. Historically these have traded quite low, I won't want to sacrifice a Speedy for that.
2nastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2018, 04:53 AM   #26
Pentameter
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Master II
I think one thing to keep in mind is that Speedy's are still in production and are plentiful. Meaning, if you end up regretting it, it won't be hard to replace it - it's not some one of a kind thing that never comes up for sale. Considering that and that you say you never wear it, I would probably trade it for something that you would wear more.
Pentameter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2018, 05:33 AM   #27
exador
Banned

Wait until next year before selling. 50th anniversary of the Moon landing
exador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2018, 06:24 AM   #28
DonBateman
Banned

Watch: I like watch
Not for a 34 mm Air King, No.
DonBateman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2018, 12:18 PM   #29
RedwinGV
"TRF" Member

Watch: Smstr 600m BigBlue
Keep it. It is a special watch in more than one way- for you, DD, and heck, many a watch fan. If it's losing favor to you, it sounds like your DD would be enamored with it being hers. Seems pretty clear even with the few words you posted here.