The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 18 December 2023, 11:38 PM   #91
llngoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchEater666 View Post
For what it's worth, I found the NYC boutique for FPJ to be very straightforward and honest relative to other brands. Not snobbish at all.

Same with their dealers in Canada.

This was pre & post COVID.
I can second this for my boutique. Very friendly and transparent even during my first visit with no history with them. We can discuss about watches and my interest, and the staff will take note but did not make any promises.

As for deposit, no one will take my deposit for anything. (Wish they will…) Deposits will only be taken either when your watch is incoming in the next month(s) or an application piece (FFC or AST) is approved and will be delivered in the next 12 months. And full deposit was never required. The requirement for deposit was explained very clearly and you are only being asked for deposit when a piece is already being promised a specific date for delivery from the manufacture.
llngoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2023, 01:13 AM   #92
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goupax View Post
None of these gossipers on social media has a clue of what he said exactly, it is most likely overblown as most things are on the internet.
Bet you're right. Plus does anyone truly believe some of these YTube talking heads and backpack CONsignment 'dealers' ???

Plus betcha it is just a normal ebb and flow as 'weak hand investors' (Mr. Wonderful types) bail out. Those of us who truly love horology don't really care about resale, we love what we love.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2023, 12:17 AM   #93
doctoryellow
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
Plus betcha it is just a normal ebb and flow as 'weak hand investors' (Mr. Wonderful types) bail out.

Mr. Wonderful is out from Journe??
doctoryellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2023, 04:25 AM   #94
llngoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctoryellow View Post
I doubt he will since he has a "personal relationship" with Pierre. But if he does, it would probably good for the brand image.
llngoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2023, 04:34 AM   #95
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Was referring to those who followed his advice only for investment purposes. Big plus is Kevin's promotion of the industry is surely bringing in new enthusiasts to some extent.

Have seen multiple 'tops' over the decades, this recent one was far larger in currency terms, and more widespread, than any previous ones that I can recall. Will be interesting to see how 2024 goes, as weak hands get shaken out.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Old 20 December 2023, 02:10 PM   #96
ajw45
"TRF" Member

Quote:
He made it pretty clear he's waiting for FP to die and values to skyrocket before selling.
ajw45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2023, 02:34 PM   #97
codecow
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5131R
I dunno about that claim that people who truly love horology don’t care about resale. I care about resale and my collection has pieces ranging from ~$1700 value to ~$120k. It makes the hobby less expensive if you’re lot losing money when you trade out of a piece or sell it.
codecow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2023, 03:56 PM   #98
tigerpac
"TRF" Member

I'm glad your hobby it colored by resale. ��
tigerpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2023, 10:50 PM   #99
codecow
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerpac View Post
I'm glad your hobby it colored by resale. ��
I also collect guitars, guitar amps, and MTG cards.

There was a period in the early 2000s where you could buy a Marshall JCM800 2205 on eBay for $400; play it as much as you want, and then sell it for $400. So the cost to experience that classic amp was shipping. Same amp now sells for $1800. So if you bought and held them, not bad.

Bringing it back, I paid MSRP for my CB. At the time it was an in demand piece and was selling on the secondary for MSRP or above. In that case the watch is “free”. You can buy it and wear it for as long as you want and if you get bored of it or want to try something else, you trade out of it and keep full value. I still have it, but if I wanted something else I’d get multiples of what I paid for it.

Not sure what the problem is.
Old 20 December 2023, 10:53 PM   #100
gd12188
"TRF" Member

I heard he made an off color joke about Ginny Sack getting a 95 pound mole removed from her ass.
gd12188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2023, 11:02 PM   #101
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by gd12188 View Post
I heard he made an off color joke about Ginny Sack getting a 95 pound mole removed from her ass.

POV: you’re a collector at an FPJ meet and greet.
Old 21 December 2023, 07:40 AM   #102
Basic_Satisfaction
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd12188 View Post
Basic_Satisfaction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2023, 08:55 AM   #103
kaiserphoenix
"TRF" Member

Watch: FPJ CO BL
Quote:
Originally Posted by codecow View Post
I dunno about that claim that people who truly love horology don’t care about resale. I care about resale and my collection has pieces ranging from ~$1700 value to ~$120k. It makes the hobby less expensive if you’re lot losing money when you trade out of a piece or sell it.
The higher end the collection, the resale or perhaps, the "investmentability", "rarity", is much much more important. Trust me, anyone who spends over $100K on a watch IS "interested" in the investment potential of a watch. I wouldnt use the term "concerened" as they are probably not worried in that sense but they def have an eye on collectibility for sure. They are not flippers mind you, just collecting strategically.
F.P.Journe Chronometre Optimum Black Label, Patek 5811G-001, A. Lange & Söhne Lange 1 191.039, Patek 5167A-001, Rolex Yacht-Master 40 Everrose, (Wh) Rolex Daytona 116500, (Blue) Rolex Skydweller 326934, Rolex Submariner 126610LV

IG: tokyo_watch_guy
kaiserphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2023, 08:56 AM   #104
codecow
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiserphoenix View Post
The higher end the collection, the resale or perhaps, the "investmentability", "rarity", is much much more important. Trust me, anyone who spends over $100K on a watch IS "interested" in the investment potential of a watch. I wouldnt use the term "concerened" as they are probably not worried in that sense but they def have an eye on collectibility for sure. They are not flippers mind you, just collecting strategically.
For sure. This site is littered with “true enthusiasts” who don’t care if they’re buying $200k watches that lose half their value on a regular basis. Would love to meet them.
Old 21 December 2023, 09:18 AM   #105
HMHM
"TRF" Member

For sure, no one wants to lose money on a watch. But I think where the difference in opinion is investment versus enthusiasm. I have seen people who bought watches with ZERO CLUE about what they are buying. Like literally ZERO. Met a guy who was wearing a White Dial Daytona. No clue about the history of the Daytona, no clue about the movement. All he know is that it’s a “PANDA DAYTONA” and that is sought-after, high investment potential and has protective stickers throughout the watch. The conversation became an instant turn off. That’s where investment and profitability becomes annoying. If one has genuine interest in watches, knows basic details about the watch they are wearing, has a good story to tell behind the acquisition of the watch, then the conversation is enjoyable, at least for me. If someone who likes watches and makes money from it after 5 years, that’s good foresight and holding power. It only becomes a problem when someone buys the watch for “investment” purpose, not wear it or wears it with thick protective stickers, and doesn’t know what they are getting into other than the fact that it is “sought after”, there lies the huge problem.
HMHM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2023, 10:59 AM   #106
MILGAUSS88
"TRF" Member

When I was a kid, I had a huge baseball card collection.
One day my father, stated: "If those baseball cards were worth nothing, you would not care about them."

I immediately said, No that's not true. I was an avid baseball nut, I knew who held the record for each Stat. I memorized every MVP. If Wade Boggs went 3 for 4 that day I could tell you his new batting average. I even made up my own stats.

But the more I thought about it, the more I knew he was right.

I think anyone on this forum that says they do not care about the value of there watch (es), is being disingenuous.

If we really didn't care about the value we would all be on The Armitron Forum.
MILGAUSS88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2023, 11:01 AM   #107
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by MILGAUSS88 View Post
When I was a kid, I had a huge baseball card collection.
One day my father, stated: "If those baseball cards were worth nothing, you would not care about them."

I immediately said, No that's not true. I was an avid baseball nut, I knew who held the record for each Stat. I memorized every MVP. If Wade Boggs went 3 for 4 that day I could tell you his new batting average. I even made up my own stats.

But the more I thought about it, the more I knew he was right.

I think anyone on this forum that says they do not care about the value of there watch (es), is being disingenuous.

If we really didn't care about the value we would all be on The Armitron Forum.

Wrong!

Bulova.
Old 21 December 2023, 11:26 AM   #108
codecow
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMHM View Post
For sure, no one wants to lose money on a watch. But I think where the difference in opinion is investment versus enthusiasm. I have seen people who bought watches with ZERO CLUE about what they are buying. Like literally ZERO. Met a guy who was wearing a White Dial Daytona. No clue about the history of the Daytona, no clue about the movement. All he know is that it’s a “PANDA DAYTONA” and that is sought-after, high investment potential and has protective stickers throughout the watch. The conversation became an instant turn off. That’s where investment and profitability becomes annoying. If one has genuine interest in watches, knows basic details about the watch they are wearing, has a good story to tell behind the acquisition of the watch, then the conversation is enjoyable, at least for me. If someone who likes watches and makes money from it after 5 years, that’s good foresight and holding power. It only becomes a problem when someone buys the watch for “investment” purpose, not wear it or wears it with thick protective stickers, and doesn’t know what they are getting into other than the fact that it is “sought after”, there lies the huge problem.
It’s not a problem.

The fact that there is demand for the piece is what allows the “value retention”. If some of that is demand from people who don’t know the difference between a vertical clutch and a horizontal clutch, or perhaps worse, they don’t even know a Daytona is a chronograph and you can unscrew the pushers (as an extreme example) it doesn’t matter.

If nobody wanted a Daytona and they traded for below MSRP (like FPJ did for a long time, man some of the deals…) sure then some “true enthusiasts” might have it show up at a price where they can buy it; but there are price limits on everything everywhere. If you want a Daytona then save for it. Get a two tone Zenith. Avoid hype stuff if you can’t afford the hype price.

My friend recently bought his first nice watch. I was at a bar with him chatting and we traded pieces. His was a chrono, mine was a chrono and neither one was flyback. He didn’t know what a flyback was, and mine was the B09 Breitling which is also not flyback. I had to show him another watch so he understood the difference and why I was complaining about not having it on my Breitling. You have the same discussion with someone who has a steel Daytona and all the “true enthusiast” forum warriors want to crap on people.

There’s nothing wrong with wanting a hype piece.
Old 21 December 2023, 02:26 PM   #109
dchang81
2024 Pledge Member

True enthusiasts must have a much bigger bankrolls than me. I can't always justify/afford another piece without moving another, and can only lose 60% of my money so many times.
dchang81 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2023, 11:30 PM   #110
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchang81 View Post
True enthusiasts must have a much bigger bankrolls than me.
Some very much do have deeeep pockets, especially in the Middle East and Singapore. Miami is more an international hub of sorts so gets many types as well.

Old 22 December 2023, 02:43 PM   #111
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
I talk a lot of crap but I rarely buy anything over 25k that I do not believe to be a safe harbor at bare minimum and an appreciating collectible in a good market. If I had serious F U money I would still collect FPJ but I would also buy a bunch of fun stuff like GF, Urwerk, high end MB&F.
Old 22 December 2023, 04:49 PM   #112
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
QUOTE=doctoryellow;13069941]Mr. Wonderful is out from Journe??[/QUOTE]

Didn’t he buy 5 FPJ just to get a chrono bleu.
Old 22 December 2023, 05:07 PM   #113
jessiethe3rd
2024 Pledge Member

FP is from a different generation.

Please bugger off so I can get my allocation faster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 22 December 2023, 09:46 PM   #114
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goupax View Post
None of these gossipers on social media has a clue of what he said exactly, it is most likely overblown as most things are on the internet.

I agree. Just like everything else on the internet and in the media today, it’s most likely a massive overreaction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Krash is online now   Reply With Quote