The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Picture & Video Gallery

Old 20 January 2008, 11:35 PM   #1
buz-lh
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Tudor Pam
Help

I think I posted a similar thread somewhere else on the forum but I need some advice. I used to fool around with cameras in my younger days and had a nice collection of SLR's, lens, and accessories which were all stolen in a home robbery. I was into to other interests at the time so I didn't replace anything. Now, with a grandson, and grandtwins on the way I would like to purchase another camera. I don't need anything really sophisticated but I would like to have a camera that I can use to take snaps and the ocassional watch, pen, still life shot. Is there anything out there that is reasonably priced that doesn't require lugging around a ton of equipment that you guys could recommend?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer,

buz-lh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2008, 01:53 AM   #2
buz-lh
"TRF" Member

I guess not.

Old 22 January 2008, 04:49 AM   #3
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
buz,

There are so many good digital cameras out there that it's hard to recommend with your criteria.

Nikon has some great deals on their D40 SLR cameras for 6 or 700. Their Cool-Pix models are great for point-and-shoot at 200 to 400...

Personally I use Canon cameras for primary shooting and their Rebel is a good bargain..I use the a D350 and 30D (now 40D)SLR's and a selection of lenses depending on what I want to do..

My underwater camera is an Olympus....but I can take it out of the enclosure and have an excellent point-and-shoot.

You want good stuff for reasonable prices..go here:

http://www.ritzcamera.com/

Old 22 January 2008, 05:44 AM   #4
JBat
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710, 16610, DJ
Buz, take a look at the Canon G9. It's a sophisticated prosumer camera, with the capability for easy use. When you want it, you'll have full manual control, when you don't you can go full auto. It's a great little unit, and pretty compact too. You'll get 90% of an SLR's capability without the bulk and expense of investing in multiple lenses.

Here's a link: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canong9/

It sounds like you have some previous experience with photography, so I think this would suit your needs nicely.
JBat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2008, 06:37 AM   #5
roadcarver
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16600
Sorry that I missed your thread - so many threads now a days :)

There are many good P&S (Point and Shoot) now. Canon and Sony makes good ones.

I would go to dpreview.com and check out the reviews on these P&S class of cameras.
Old 22 January 2008, 07:01 AM   #6
KJacques
"TRF" Member

Watch: the skies
If all your interested in is snapshooting the grandkids and occasional close-ups (watches, etc.) Nikon and Canon make many P&S for under $500. I've also seen some very nice pics from the panasonics that have the Leica lenses on them.

Personally, if it were me I would get the little Nikon D40 as I prefer to look through the lens than at a little screen when taking pictures. I also think the pictures that camera with its larger sized sensor (24mm x 16mm) can take are superior to 99% of the P&S's out there.
KJacques is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2008, 07:41 AM   #7
jhowton

The main problem I have found with most point and shoot type digital cameras is the shutter delay. You press the shutter release button and wait and if you are lucky your subject hasn't moved before the image is captured. That's why the DSLRs are so much better IMO, they use a traditional mechanical shutter which operates as you would expect it to.

I used a Nikon FG body for years with 35mm film. I switched to digital in the mid 90s and suffered with 1/2 a dozen different point and shoot cameras ranging from Sony to Nikon, I wasn't really happy with any of them. When the Nikon D70 came out a couple of years ago, I bought one and couldn't be happier, It's been my principal camera since. I also have a Leica (Panasonic) D-Lux 3 which is OK as a P&S, but the Nikon is my workhorse.
jhowton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2008, 01:35 PM   #8
buz-lh
"TRF" Member

Thanks for all the advice. Went with the Canon G9.