The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 15 March 2021, 06:40 AM   #31
SunTzu
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513 116234 79280P
Quote:
Originally Posted by swish77 View Post
It's always a gamble with any watchmaker servicing a vintage watch, no matter how good he/she is.
Absolutely Especially if it's one's stepdad's 5513

I had my precious 5513 serviced by my local guy and would trust no one else. Included in his Rolex service are genuine mainspring and reversing wheels replacement. Mine needed balance work too and a service crown. No polishing. Came back running like new with 2 year warranty.
Old 3 August 2021, 04:00 AM   #32
overgrower
"TRF" Member

I finally had time to drop the 16520 off at RSC Beverly Hills. They agreed to do a complete overhaul of the movement with no refinishing the case or bracelet.

However, they state it's necessary for the crown to be replaced with a 704.

I believe my original crown is a 703?

Of course I'd prefer to keep everything as original as possible, but I also appreciate having a RSC warranty card.
Attached Images
File Type: png 16520 crown .png (92.6 KB, 94 views)
overgrower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2021, 06:34 AM   #33
jaisonline
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5 digit models
They should do a great job. RSC Dallas did my A-serial 16520 in Feb to March 2020. Great job. No polish. Didn’t need the crown replaced but did ask for a new bezel (my original was returned) and the crystal (chip).

Quote:
Originally Posted by overgrower View Post
I finally had time to drop the 16520 off at RSC Beverly Hills. They agreed to do a complete overhaul of the movement with no refinishing the case or bracelet.

Of course I'd prefer to keep everything as original as possible, but I also appreciate having a RSC warranty card.
jaisonline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2021, 06:55 AM   #34
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
If you are opting to not have watch polished, I recommend you bring in watch head only for service. This will increase your odds, along with a written message, that they don’t polish.
Old 3 August 2021, 07:23 AM   #35
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:

Did they state “required” or “recommended”. Big difference.

If only recommended, I’d keep it original. Just my

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2021, 08:16 PM   #36
cascavel
2024 Pledge Member

Send your watch to Phillips, as is, and have them sell it for you. With the proceeds buy yourself a NIB Daytona 116500 in the grey market and you should still have some money left over.
Having Rolex service your watch is a roll of the dice. If they "accidentally" polish your watch you will be out $15-20K and they will apologize and offer you a free service next time your watch needs it. Unless vintage Rolexes are your thing, in which case you wouldn't have had to ask how to have yours serviced, owning an untouched watch like yours entails more risk than reward.
cascavel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2021, 09:00 PM   #37
1665fan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cascavel View Post
Send your watch to Phillips, as is, and have them sell it for you. With the proceeds buy yourself a NIB Daytona 116500 in the grey market and you should still have some money left over.
Having Rolex service your watch is a roll of the dice. If they "accidentally" polish your watch you will be out $15-20K and they will apologize and offer you a free service next time your watch needs it. Unless vintage Rolexes are your thing, in which case you wouldn't have had to ask how to have yours serviced, owning an untouched watch like yours entails more risk than reward.

Some terrible advice….. so if someone ask a ? About a classic car the answer is to sell and get a new one????? What a joke
1665fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2021, 12:21 AM   #38
cascavel
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1665fan View Post
Some terrible advice….. so if someone ask a ? About a classic car the answer is to sell and get a new one????? What a joke
I'm sorry you feel that way but it's just advice and the OP doesn't have to follow it. Given the value of the OP's watch and his/her seeming lack of expertise in vintage Rolex, a minefield of epic proportions, it seemed reasonable to propose an alternative course of action. As I'm sure you know, a sleepy repair person at Rolex might just fail to notice the "Do Not Polish" notice which could result in a significant change in the value of an unpolished Patrizzi dial 16520.
Personally, with a watch of this value I would only send it to one of the skilled professionals who deal with watches of this caliber not a factory like RSC.
Given the difficulties of dealing with the ownership of vintage Rolexes, perhaps the OP would prefer to own a beautiful new Daytona which won't present the issues which a vintage Daytona does.
I don't see the harm in making the OP aware of the option.

Last edited by cascavel; 4 August 2021 at 12:23 AM.. Reason: spelling, again.
cascavel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2021, 03:44 AM   #39
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
Hi all, my Daytona 16520 is in need of a service. I know many recommend not to send to the Rolex Service Center for fear of parts being changed. However, from my understanding if you are clear in writing that you only want a movement service then they can do so?
. . . .
RSC doesn't change parts unless you agree and pay for it. Your fear is unfounded.

The usual problem, when there is one, is that we send our watches through an AD, who is then the "customer" that Rolex deals with, and any decision about parts is out of our hands.
Old 4 August 2021, 04:13 AM   #40
overgrower
"TRF" Member

I called the RSC and they agreed to return the original crown to me for an extra charge of $18.40.

As I'll have the original crown still, I think that I will proceed with the servicing. I looked into other recommended watchmakers and many stated that they were not sure if they could complete the service as parts for the 4030 movement were no longer available from Rolex. Cost of service was about the same as RSC.

Thank you all for your feedback, much appreciated!
Old 4 August 2021, 07:01 AM   #41
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
Quote:

Both crowns were used on 16520s, with earlier versions taking the 703s (dots closer to coronet) and later versions taking the 704 crown (dots farther from coronet). Not sure when the change took place, but great if you can get the original crown back.
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2021, 07:19 AM   #42
1665fan
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Is this pic the 703 or 704 crown?
1665fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2021, 07:23 AM   #43
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1665fan View Post
Is this pic the 703 or 704 crown?
The OP's photo of a crown showed a 703.
Old 4 August 2021, 08:39 AM   #44
jaisonline
2024 Pledge Member

Service for Daytona 16520 CW21 vs RSC

for the folks wondering about 404 vs. 403 crowns. Updated pic from when I posted earlier
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 704.jpg (11.7 KB, 59 views)
Old 4 August 2021, 08:43 AM   #45
overgrower
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Both crowns were used on 16520s, with earlier versions taking the 703s (dots closer to coronet) and later versions taking the 704 crown (dots farther from coronet). Not sure when the change took place, but great if you can get the original crown back.
My 16520 is a T serial with a 703 crown.

Your's is a U serial with a 704 crown.

So the change likely occurred around 1997?
Old 4 August 2021, 08:49 AM   #46
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaisonline View Post
for the folks wondering about 403 vs. 402 crowns

That’s a photo that was posted on the Rolex Replica Forum, I believe, and is definitely inaccurate. The two crowns on the right in the photo, in order, are a 703 and 704.
Old 4 August 2021, 08:51 AM   #47
jaisonline
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
That’s a photo that was posted on the Rolex Replica Forum, I believe, and is definitely inaccurate. The two crowns on the right in the photo, in order, are a 703 and 704.
i found another pic.
Old 4 August 2021, 08:51 AM   #48
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
My 16520 is a T serial with a 703 crown.

Your's is a U serial with a 704 crown.

So the change likely occurred around 1997?
Perhaps, or earlier. There was probably also a cross-over period when both crowns were used.
Old 4 August 2021, 09:58 AM   #49
alwayshere
"TRF" Member

Quote:
the difference between 700, 702 and 703 are quite obvious in hand and the threads are not transferable across the 3. The 703/704 share the same tube.

p.s your observation above is correct.
alwayshere is offline   Reply With Quote