The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 17 September 2015, 02:28 PM   #1
IllinoisVette
"TRF" Member

Looking for opinions on a birth year watch

Hello everyone,

I've been lurking on the site for a while, but this is my first post. I'm interested in hunting down a decent GMT from my birth year (1968). I've searched the Classifieds on this site and don't see what I'm looking for right now. There is one listed on a famous auction site that has been listed by a Rolex AD that is near my home. They are a reputable jeweler in the area that has been in business since 1894.

I'm not sure what the rules are on posting a link to it so I've copied and pasted the pictures from the site. Here they are:

GMT 1.JPG

GMT 2.JPG

GMT 4.JPG

GMT 7.JPG

GMT 10.JPG

The watch is a 232**** serial number that is supposed to date to 1968. The research I've been able to do online makes it look like it could possibly be from 1969 as well, but I'm not sure. I've requested photos of the interior of the caseback as well as the movement and I'll add those if they respond. They say that they just serviced it. They want $7495 for it but it also has an O.B.O. option.

The bad news is that the pictures on the auction site are small and don't include a few important shots (serial number, movement, etc.) The good news is that I can easily go lay eyes on it before I make an offer.

What do the experts here think? Can you tell if it is a legitimate 1968 GMT from the serial number and pictures? Is it priced a bit high?

Thank you in advance,

Mark
IllinoisVette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2015, 06:45 AM   #2
TimeToGo
2024 Pledge Member

Welcome to the Forum!

You can post the link, that is not issue.

I would be surprised if the 2.3 has a 68 case back, but it may have a 69 or later if replaced along the way. For a 68, you may want to look in the 1.8 mil ++ cases.

It is hard to see the condition of the case based on the pictures you posted. Find out the service history. The watch has a replacement insert, that watch originally came with a fat font insert. The bracelet is also replaced.

Make sure you inspect the hand set on this watch to see if tritium is flaking off, which would then need for the hands to be replaced as well, or have them redone to match the color of the plots.

Possible expenses related to this watch would include a service, insert, and hands.

Interesting enough there is a discussion regarding a similar type watch on the link below. Do not be alarmed with the claim that the particular watch posted by the OP is only worth $3,500 according to another forum member. Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=433929
TimeToGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2015, 12:59 PM   #3
IllinoisVette
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeToGo View Post
Welcome to the Forum!

You can post the link, that is not issue.

I would be surprised if the 2.3 has a 68 case back, but it may have a 69 or later if replaced along the way. For a 68, you may want to look in the 1.8 mil ++ cases.

It is hard to see the condition of the case based on the pictures you posted. Find out the service history. The watch has a replacement insert, that watch originally came with a fat font insert. The bracelet is also replaced.

Make sure you inspect the hand set on this watch to see if tritium is flaking off, which would then need for the hands to be replaced as well, or have them redone to match the color of the plots.

Possible expenses related to this watch would include a service, insert, and hands.

Interesting enough there is a discussion regarding a similar type watch on the link below. Do not be alarmed with the claim that the particular watch posted by the OP is only worth $3,500 according to another forum member. Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=433929
Thank you so much. I thought the serial number looked a little high for 1968. Given your input, I think I'll pass on this one and keep looking. I really appreciate you letting me know.
IllinoisVette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2015, 02:51 PM   #4
plusonechoi
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Sub
I too was on the hunt for a birth year, but found it quite difficult to closely trace one down. I had spoke with James from Analog shift and he showed me an article that he wrote regarding chasing a birth year, definitely a good read ( http://www.askmen.com/style/watches/...r-watches.html ).

Ultimately, for me, I jumped on the next best deal I came across for a Sub, rather than worrying about the specific year. I will eventually get a birth era watch, but in the mean time couldn't be happier with my purchase!
plusonechoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2015, 07:50 PM   #5
TimeToGo
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by plusonechoi View Post
I too was on the hunt for a birth year, but found it quite difficult to closely trace one down. I had spoke with James from Analog shift and he showed me an article that he wrote regarding chasing a birth year, definitely a good read ( http://www.askmen.com/style/watches/...r-watches.html ).

Ultimately, for me, I jumped on the next best deal I came across for a Sub, rather than worrying about the specific year. I will eventually get a birth era watch, but in the mean time couldn't be happier with my purchase!
Thanks for sharing!

Welcome to the Forum!
TimeToGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2015, 06:09 AM   #6
droptopman
"TRF" Member

Watch: SUBS and GMT's!
Good information provided on the serial number. I agree 2.3 would be later and very unlikely a 68. I have been looking for a birth year piece (1966) diligently for 2 years but still have not across an acceptable piece yet. Buy, wear and trade others while looking but it is definitely some work to find to find that elusive gilt birth year watch.
Good luck.
droptopman is offline   Reply With Quote