The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 19 September 2015, 06:36 PM   #1
flydown
"TRF" Member

Help needed with a 5513

Hi everyone,

First time writing here, so excuse me if I'm doing anything wrong.

I'm also a first time Rolex owner (or hope I'll be after you help me out with this). I've long wanted to get a Rolex, but wanted my first one to be a 5513. So when I saw one going for auction a couple of weeks ago I took a shot and won the auction.

The watch arrived yesterday, however I'm not 100% sure it's real. The auction house is very well respected, and they'll give me my money back if I can show why it's a fake, if it is indeed.

The watch was described on the auction's website as: Rolex Submariner, ref. 5513, Meters First “Bart Simpson”, circa 1966, Automatic movement, calibre 1520, adj. 5; 26 jewels, hour, minute, second, original stretch strap ref. 6636 from 1967

So on to my doubts:
  • The luminiscent masses are not perfectly layed out
  • The crown logo on the dial looks asymmetrical to me
  • The R and the X in Rolex look a bit fat to me
  • Looking at the crown guards from the back I can't clearly tell it's a ]

I'm attaching some photos. If you want I can provide higher res ones.

I hope you can help me out with this. Thanks a lot!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2015-09-19 10.13.12-1.jpg (164.0 KB, 219 views)
File Type: jpg 2015-09-19 10.13.20 copy.jpg (189.4 KB, 219 views)
File Type: jpg 2015-09-19 10.13.47.jpg (88.9 KB, 215 views)
File Type: jpg 2015-09-19 10.14.05-1.jpg (127.8 KB, 218 views)
File Type: jpg 2015-09-19 10.13.37.jpg (171.9 KB, 218 views)
File Type: jpg 2015-09-19 10.15.29.jpg (90.2 KB, 215 views)
flydown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2015, 10:26 PM   #2
1675-David
"TRF" Member

thats a very nice dial, don't see any problem there
1675-David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2015, 10:30 PM   #3
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Congratulations and welcome to TRF! The only thing I see is that it has a replacement crown. Other than that it looks great to me!
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2015, 11:46 PM   #4
flydown
"TRF" Member

Thanks!

So the way the luminiscent mass is applied is ok? it's not super neat and regular. However, looking at other photos online I have to admit mine is pretty consistent with the others I've seen.
Old 20 September 2015, 12:14 AM   #5
figsgrandpa
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513
The tritium on the hour plots and hands is showing normal deterioration for a watch made nearly 50 years ago. The original crown looks like it's been replaced with a later year's version. The "pearl" in the bezel insert looks like it was glued in place, but the bezel insert itself looks original.

Nice piece. Enjoy it.
figsgrandpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2015, 01:09 AM   #6
seattleal
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Gilt Subs
"The crown logo on the dial looks asymmetrical to me"

The asymmetrical crown is what makes it a Bart Simpson dial.

Congratulations, it's a beauty!
seattleal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2015, 01:27 AM   #7
flydown
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seattleal View Post
The asymmetrical crown is what makes it a Bart Simpson dial.
While looking at every photo of a Bart Simpson I could find online while waiting for the mods to approve this post I realized it and felt a bit relieved! Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by figsgrandpa View Post
The original crown looks like it's been replaced with a later year's version. The "pearl" in the bezel insert looks like it was glued in place, but the bezel insert itself looks original.
Since you're the second one mentioning the crown, can I ask how did you spot it? I know vintage Rolexes are a mess and I'm trying to understand.

As for the pearl, anyone know if it would be possible to remove it, clean the hole in the bezel and put it back into place? or is not just worth it?

Thanks everybody for the help! I guess I can now say I'm a proud owner of my first Rolex!
Old 20 September 2015, 02:28 AM   #8
gileto
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
Congratulations and welcome to TRF! The only thing I see is that it has a replacement crown. Other than that it looks great to me!
+1, put a 24-700 crown and you're done... Great watch
gileto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2015, 05:24 AM   #9
figsgrandpa
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513
Quote:
Originally Posted by flydown View Post
While looking at every photo of a Bart Simpson I could find online while waiting for the mods to approve this post I realized it and felt a bit relieved! Thanks!

Since you're the second one mentioning the crown, can I ask how did you spot it? I know vintage Rolexes are a mess and I'm trying to understand.

As for the pearl, anyone know if it would be possible to remove it, clean the hole in the bezel and put it back into place? or is not just worth it?

Thanks everybody for the help! I guess I can now say I'm a proud owner of my first Rolex!
Your crown has three dots under the Rolex coronet logo. I believe that this indicates that the crown is a later model with three seals for water tightness as opposed to the original crown which only had two seals and no dots under the coronet.

As far as the pearl is concerned, I'd be careful about trying to remove it. They were originally just held in place by friction, and it's more common to lose them than still have them after 49 years. But, you don't know know how it was cemented in place. It could just pop out with your fingernail, or it might be in so tight that the bezel insert gets damaged if you try and remove it. If you ever have the watch serviced by an expert in vintage Rolexes (DO NOT go to Rolex Authorized Service), they can take a look at the pearl and see if anything needs to be done.
figsgrandpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2015, 05:37 AM   #10
seattleal
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Gilt Subs
Quote:
Originally Posted by flydown View Post

You have a service replacement 'triplock' crown - identified by the tree dots on it and the 'o' ring on the tube. The triplock is a later, improved design, and provides a better seal. It is not the original crown, but doesn't affect the value, only the appeal to purists.

Here is my '65 5513 with an original twinlock crown:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Chamfers Right.jpg (42.9 KB, 134 views)
seattleal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2015, 06:16 AM   #11
greekbum
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT 16750
Since this is a forum and you asked for opinions here is mine. I have never seen the watch nor do i know the seller. Can you please post very clear shots of the dial in direct sunlight? Or better out of the watch at an angle. I do not like the lume or the lacquer of the dial based on THESE pics. On these pics it looks like the dial has been re lacquered and relumed. I may be wrong as your pics are not great but better to be sure so take better pics. I will need way better pics of the dial to be 100% but i have strong feeling based on those pics.

Original Owner ROLEX 16750 GMT Daily Wearer For Over 13,000 Days And Counting
greekbum is offline   Reply With Quote