The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!!

Old 4 February 2017, 09:08 AM   #1
watchaser
2024 Pledge Member

Potential scammers...

Just putting this out there. I've had a couple parties recently contact me about a couple pieces I have for sale. Part of the dialog, party would ask for various photos of the watch including a photo with their name and date. I mainly prefer to correspond via text as it shows me potential buyer interest level if they provide contact number or not. Coincidentally I noticed the last two inquiries I had they BOTH had the #'s with the prefix below. Once I sent photos on these two occasions, i didn't hear any follow up.

I am assuming NOW, these potential scammers are requesting photos with their name so they can use the photos for their own post for potential scams. Now realizing what's going on, I'm keeping my post its I used for photos that I wrote myself for evidence that the piece is mine and in my possession.

Sorry if this is a repeat. Just wanted to share with the community.

Be cautious of these numbers:
204-808-0335
204-809-3852
watchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2017, 09:16 AM   #2
sleddog
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Just post the whole number, no need to hide it.
This method has been used before, and it's simply to get pictures of watches they don't actually have....only to try and fleece someone else into thinking it's their watch.

It makes no sense to put 'their' name in the pic really. Just shows you the real mind of a common thief!
If someone was asking for specifics, just set a time to their asking with an agreed word. That is more than sufficient for proof of ownership.

Was this from a registered member here?

Thanks for sharing.

TRF's "After Dark" Bar & Nightclub Patron-Founding Member..
sleddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2017, 09:21 AM   #3
watchaser
2024 Pledge Member

Numbers now added.

I don't believe it's registered user. Initial communication done via direct email. Googled emailed, no data supporting email.
watchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2017, 09:32 AM   #4
sleddog

Ok thanks.

As a heads up also, we do recommend you do not post your personal details in FS threads, as this just opens you up to more outside harassment by the grubs trolling for easy money...

Old 8 February 2017, 01:49 AM   #5
CMSgt Bo
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116520 116710 BLNR
Photo's set to a specific time alone are no guarantee the seller actually has the watch. You have to inspect all photos closely to make sure they are legit. Case in point; here's a photo from a legitimate sales post:

Here's where an industrious scammer put his name over the original:

And here's where an even more industrious scammer edited over the sellers name (the prospective buyer requested his name show in the photo) and changed the time on the watch:

Many savvy buyers will ask for their username to appear in the verification picture as well as a specific time and date, and even bezel position on the watch to make more work for the scammer. In most cases if you look closely at the images you can see where the Photoshopped content does not cast shadows and the angles appear off in relation to their backgrounds. Also you may notice the pixels are not uniform between the original image and the Photoshopped content. In many cases the scammer will make copies of copies so the image quality is uniformly poor. You can find many more examples of doctored images and tips on how to detect them in the feedback section of WUS.
CMSgt Bo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2017, 05:05 AM   #6
sleddog

All good points Bo, and that is why we always tell buyers and sellers to do their due dillegence!!

In the case above, it was the "buyer" that was the scammer, and their whole concept is to get pictures of a watch (any watch they need to use for a scam) with their name on it. It wasn't someone using doctored pictures to sell, YET!.. This way they dupped someone into sending real pics that they then turn around and use as their own. They then have no need to photoshop the image, or if they do, they already have the name and may just need to edit the time...
Plenty of warnings here on TRF as well.

Old adage, do your homework, and work with someone you know or are vetted beyond doubt!

Old 8 February 2017, 10:01 AM   #7
CMSgt Bo
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116520 116710 BLNR
You can tell people to do their due diligence, but people don't know what they don't know.

You said "It makes no sense to put 'their' name in the pic really. Just shows you the real mind of a common thief!" and I was showing where an honest buyer may ask you to put their name in the pic. In the above example bradjhomes is one of the two Moderators at Large on WatchUSeek...not exactly a common thief.

You also state "if someone was asking for specifics, just set a time to their asking with an agreed word. That is more than sufficient for proof of ownership", and that may keep your picture from being used by a scammer, but as a buyer it's not always proof of ownership.

In many cases the above pictures would have passed the scrutiny of a buyer doing their due diligence. I'm just trying to point out that things aren't always what they seem and you can never be too careful.

Two of my mantras while serving were knowledge is power, and trust but verify.
CMSgt Bo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2017, 10:07 AM   #8
sleddog

I am agreeing with you Bo, I'm not saying you are wrong. I was only stating the buyer was the scammer, not the seller as you were pointing out, nothing more. I did agree things can, and will be, altered by anyone trying to scam. We are on the same page, but it feels like you feel otherwise..?

Should I stop telling people to do their own due diligence?
Perhaps my "more than sufficient for proof of ownership" could have been worded better. It was not to say that is the end all of your due diligence, and go right ahead to send just anyone 10's of thousands of dollars!! It was that a name isn't needed, but a word may be better. Which of course, as you have now pointed out twice' can be altered.

There are countless threads around here to read on what to look out for...unfortunately I can't help everyone, and neither can you.

Things CAN be modified. My point here, as has always been the case, is for the buyer and or seller to be aware of the scams people pull. I just said it makes no sense to add a name, nothing more....as there are no ironclad safeguard do's/dont's.

I want people to be aware, full stop.