The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 2 December 2015, 06:13 PM   #61
Flex368
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes!
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmegaJJH View Post
Fantastic machines, my dad has one.
They ain't cheap though.
Not cheap, but very reliable and quite easy to service by yourself. In the long run, you´re going to save money as you don´t need to buy a new machine every two years.

I´ve got a Jura still running strong after 7 years of extensive use, only replaced seals/o-rings and worn grinder parts until now. I buy my coffee freshly roasted from a local company.
Flex368 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2015, 06:18 PM   #62
OmegaJJH
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flex368 View Post
In the long run, you´re going to save money

Ah, man maths at its best!

Couldn't agree more that they're excellent machines!
OmegaJJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2015, 08:48 PM   #63
mailman
TRF Moderator & DATE-JUST41 2024 Patron

Watch: 126610LN
Cuisinart drip. Maxwell House Bold.
Old 2 December 2015, 11:38 PM   #64
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pix View Post
Just add hot water...Geez you guys make everything so complicated:)
Egad man! Don't be so pedestrian - at least you could drink Nescafe
Abdullah71601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2015, 12:40 PM   #65
Demosthene
"TRF" Member

This at work

This at home
Demosthene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2015, 01:13 PM   #66
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demosthene View Post
This at work

This at home
Are you hiring
Abdullah71601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2015, 02:21 AM   #67
cruise_bone
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
Nespresso. Perfect for a single cup.
+1. Just upgraded from Keurig to Nespresso Vertuoline. Coffee, or espresso, and Crema!

Also have a Cuisinart coffee maker, a French press, and a Moka pot. I also use a Cuisinart Burr grinder. Fantastic grinder for under $100.
We like to mix it up, especially on the weekends, but for out the door tastiness during the work week the Nespresso is tough to beat.
cruise_bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2015, 03:00 AM   #68
dba
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16710
Cuisinart On-Demand Drip and Cafe du Monde coffee from World Market.
dba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2015, 03:33 AM   #69
Evo6
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR55131675BB58
Coffee.... What do you use at home

Chemex for coffee and Aeropress+Nespresso foamer for Espresso drinks.
Breville water pot and burr grinder
Pete's decalf sumatra and Organic Valley lactose free 1/2&1/2
Delish
Evo6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2015, 04:18 AM   #70
SearChart
TechXpert

Not a coffee drinker myself but my dad has one of those fancy delonghi machines (krups before he had this one) and he gets his beans from an old school little coffee and tea shop.
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2017, 08:44 PM   #71
blah114
Banned

Watch: iPhone
Update. I grind my own beans now. A capresso from world market, cost 10$. Using a frieling French press. I but coffee from Kickapoo coffee, jbc roasters. My fav is morning drift from Kickapoo. Also, like Henry's coffee in San Francisco . Their Yemen coffee is great. Happy coffee drinking to my timepiece friends! Well, acquaintances at least.
blah114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2017, 10:18 PM   #72
NewEnthusiast
"TRF" Member

Watch: Air King/Seamaster
Quote:
Originally Posted by theloxmyth View Post
Someone say coffee?!

Yes, please, I'll have some ANY WAY you make it.

Glad I'm not the only one that has a collection of various ways to make coffee... even have some instant tucked away for family members that insist they prefer it.
NewEnthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2017, 12:55 AM   #73
Bluside
2024 Pledge Member

I feel out of place. A $20 Mr. Coffee from Walmart for me. Works fine.
Bluside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2017, 12:23 PM   #74
kulak
"TRF" Member

Mr Coffee drip. I'm not a coffee snob other than only drinking it black. I can live with Nespresso that work has when I'm in the EU but I prefer higher drinking volume American style.
kulak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2017, 12:38 PM   #75
Grahamcombat
"TRF" Member

Delonghi for espresso, Breville for fresh grind & drip.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Grahamcombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2017, 12:50 PM   #76
arizonapaul
"TRF" Member

Watch: All 3 Sea-Dwellers
JURA.. there is no comparison.... just upgraded to the A9.. Google jura,and look at videos...Big tip.... I always buy them refurbished...saved 1000 on this unit...1/2 off and looks brand new,with same warranty..... we love are coffees

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Rolex TT Sub-
Rolex SD4000
Omega Ploprof 1200 m
Panerai 510
Panerai 785 set-NIB
Rolex Airking
arizonapaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2017, 02:22 AM   #77
encarter13
"TRF" Member

Gaggia Brera for me. Still experimenting with different beans to figure out what I prefer. I most go for espresso shots, but I also make lattes, americonos, lungos, etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 24 February 2017, 02:27 AM   #78
yannis
"TRF" Member

Watch: maniac
Nespresso!

yannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2017, 03:48 AM   #79
uscmatt99
"TRF" Member

Our old Bunn grinder died, and the Bunn coffee machine started losing too much water between brews, so I decided to replace them. This set in motion a cascade of coffee-related purchases that continues to this day, eating into my watch budget.

The Oxo On 9-cup version. I initially wanted a Technivorm, but this got better reviews for water distribution over the coffee bed, and had pre-infusion to bloom up the coffee. I love this thing. Super easy to use, you can brew 2-9 cups, steel carafe stays warm for an hour, and it doesn't spill a drop when pouring.

Baratza Vario-W. I got this one with steel burrs for brew coffee grinding. The ceramic burrs are for espresso, which this grinder also excels at with some caveats. This one has a scale that measures the coffee dose in real time with shut-off at one of three predetermined weights. Much better than timed dosing or the little timer twisty knob. All beans grind a bit differently depending on roast level, bean type, and age. I preset the weights for 4 cups, 6 cups, and 8 cups of coffee. My wife and I LOVE this thing. Coffee tastes noticeably better, and you can tweak things as needed to taste.

Well, couldn't just stop at drip coffee right? We have been Nespresso users for several years. The taste has always been adequate, but never excellent, from espressso to cappuccinos to lattes. So I did the math, and with a $5000 budget for an espresso machine, dedicated grinder, and roasted beans, our break even point is 8-10 years with Nespresso. And we get to pat ourselves on the back for creating less waste, and using espresso grounds in the yard.

This is a Londinium L1, made in England, and shipped to me in 48 hours. This has so far been everything I wanted in a home espresso set-up. Big commercial lever group slapped onto a small, well-built chassis for the home environment. It takes me about 5-7 minutes to make a cappuccino when I count hand-grinding time, puck preparation, pulling the double shot, steaming the milk, and cleaning up. Definitely an art and science to drink creation.

But as most espresso junkies know, it's all about the grinder!

Started with this Hario Skerton. Piece of crap. Wobbly burrs, stepped adjustment. I did a little modification with a locking hex nut for finer adjustment. It worked okay, but the grind particles were all different sizes, resulting in espresso squirting on me or the machine more than once. Path of least resistance issue from my understanding. Moving right along...

Orphan Espresso Lido 3. The company was started by some coffee loving hippie types, who sourced or made replacement parts for coffee products. One day they decided to make affordable high quality hand mills. The Lido line-up is pretty sweet. Big 48mm Swiss conical burrs on nice sets of bearings. Ergonomically a bit challenging, but the grind quality is leagues beyond the Skerton. Eventually this will be my traveling and work drip grinder. The handle even folds up! But my arms are getting tired, so I'm waiting on shipment of this one...

The Kafatek Monolith. There are two varieties depending on whether you want conical or flat burrs. That can be debated as hotly as the 5711 vs. the 15202. I liked the look of the conical better. This is a pretty cool company, borne out of one guy's frustration with the current espresso grinder market. Basically you had the choice of either a commercial grinder, which tend to be bit and ugly and not nice in the kitchen but put out excellent grinds, or a home grinder, made with lots of plastic, smaller burrs, loud, and still a bit ugly.

So he designed these, went through several prototypes, and put them to market in runs of 50. Each one is machined and assembled in Seattle, and uses big burr sets which, millimeter for millimeter, deliver a more uniform grind than their smaller counterparts. Apparently he made a name for himself. His first runs sold out over the course of days. His most recent runs sold out in a few hours.

I'm super stoked to get mine in May. I can finally get off the espresso train and jump back on the watch train
uscmatt99 is offline   Reply With Quote