The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 23 February 2017, 09:01 PM   #31
MonBK
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdullah71601 View Post
He said he's worried about grout, so it can't be vinyl.

Considering how much more difficult it will be to fit the tile to the toilet base compared to mounting over the tile, there just isn't a logical explanation.

Paul - It's not too late. It will only cost you a little time and a new wax ring to mount on top of the new tile.
He's blowing smoke.
MonBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2017, 09:13 PM   #32
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonBK View Post
He's blowing smoke.
He'll be blowing gaskets in a couple hours.
Abdullah71601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2017, 10:04 PM   #33
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
Are you guys HAPPY now!?!?!?!? Its 4:00 in the morning, and I am up with insomnia thinking about my floor!!!!!!!!! (I wish that were the reason, a family member has a serious health issue and it has been stressful for us all the last couple days, difficult to sleep, doing all the remodeling right now is a way to try and keep my mind off of it). But back to my floor....

I KNOW, I KNOW.... it is going to be WAY more difficult putting down tile with the toilet in the way, the thing is I am PARANOID about the seal. I keep having disaster images of water flowing out from underneath the toilet when it flushes (absolutely not a drop so far) or sewer gasses seeping up from below. I look like a Dorklehead walking in to my bathroom sniffing like a madman to the point I hyperventilate every half hour. There was definitely an odor at first, but I had .... well.... "garbage" from the drain pipe and flange all over my bathroom floor after scraping off the old wax. I washd the floor with some bleach water and am waiting for THAT odor to disperse before sniffing again. All indications are though that the seal is fine, and I am scared to death if I lift up the Toilet, (break the seal) and put in a new wax ring it will somehow get screwed up, and I'll have water and odor coming out from under my toilet after every flush. For that, I would rather swear, break things, scream and generally bring myself to the verge of a nervous breakdown dealing with the tiling. I understand it probably won't look as good either.... I don't know... I will look at it again in the morning Oh wait.. it IS morning
TheVTCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2017, 10:10 PM   #34
Abdullah71601
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVTCGuy View Post
Are you guys HAPPY now!?!?!?!? Its 4:00 in the morning, and I am up with insomnia thinking about my floor!!!!!!!!! (I wish that were the reason, a family member has a serious health issue and it has been stressful for us all the last couple days, difficult to sleep, doing all the remodeling right now is a way to try and keep my mind off of it). But back to my floor....

I KNOW, I KNOW.... it is going to be WAY more difficult putting down tile with the toilet in the way, the thing is I am PARANOID about the seal. I keep having disaster images of water flowing out from underneath the toilet when it flushes (absolutely not a drop so far) or sewer gasses seeping up from below. I look like a Dorklehead walking in to my bathroom sniffing like a madman to the point I hyperventilate every half hour. There was definitely an odor, but I had .... well.... "garbage" from the drain pipe and flange all over my bathroom floor after scraping off the old wax. I washd the floor with some bleach water and am waiting for THAT odor to disperse before sniffing again. All indications are though that the seal is fine, and I am scared to death if I lift up the Toilet, (break the seal) and put in a new wax ring it will somehow get screwed up, and I'll have water and odor coming out from under my toilet after every flush. For that, I would rather swear, break things, scream and generally bring myself to the verge of a nervous breakdown dealing with the tiling. I understand it probably won't look as good either.... I don't know... I will look at it again in the morning Oh wait.. it IS morning
Sorry to hear about the illness Paul. Best wishes for a positive outcome.

Now for your hopelessly irrational seal nightmares. The wax ring creates the seal, not the contact with the floor. Buy a wax ring that compensates for the thickness of the tile above the slab and you will have a perfect seal. It's too easy.

Pull the toilet up. Lay your new tile. Make sure it's flat, level, and even where the toilet will sit. Do the grout. Measure the height of the tile and buy a wax ring for that added thickness. Reinstall the toilet. Caulk around the base with a clear sealant (keeps cleaning solvents and what not out from there). Shazam! You'll have a nice new throneroom.
Old 23 February 2017, 10:21 PM   #35
TheVTCGuy
Banned

I purchased a double height ring wax seal and still have it... If I pull it up... I also installed new bolts to the flange...... So those won't break. And the flange was in pretty good shape.. that's why I didn't remove it..... My brain hurts.

OF COURSE it is a hopelessly irrational fear Abdullah! Look at who you are talking to!
Old 23 February 2017, 10:41 PM   #36
azguy
Banned

Watch: ---------
Only California would get into the toilet regulation business, such a sad state of affairs out there
azguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2017, 10:48 PM   #37
mannyv11
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD,Sub,GMT,Daytona
Paul I've been doing this stuff for a while and I would never recommend putting the toilet down fist. I saw in a previous post you were worried about it settling into grout?
If you let the tile fully dry before putting anything on it you shouldn't have any issues with anything settling. Also if anyone buys your place in the future and want to change the toilet they now have to re-do the floors again.

The only time I have seen an issue with putting the floors in first is when the toilet doesn't get a seal on the wax ring because the new flooring is so much higher than the old flooring now they make double height wax rings, wax rings with pvc in the middle etc.

good luck my friend and I hope it goes easy for you, but if I was going to give any input it would be, pull up the damn toilet do the floors and then put the toilet in.
mannyv11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2017, 10:56 PM   #38
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mannyv11 View Post
Paul I've been doing this stuff for a while and I would never recommend putting the toilet down fist. I saw in a previous post you were worried about it settling into grout?
If you let the tile fully dry before putting anything on it you shouldn't have any issues with anything settling. Also if anyone buys your place in the future and want to change the toilet they now have to re-do the floors again.

The only time I have seen an issue with putting the floors in first is when the toilet doesn't get a seal on the wax ring because the new flooring is so much higher than the old flooring now they make double height wax rings, wax rings with pvc in the middle etc.

good luck my friend and I hope it goes easy for you, but if I was going to give any input it would be, pull up the damn toilet do the floors and then put the toilet in.
Thanks Manny..... (why don't you come over and do it!?). I understand perfectly, and the seal part is what scares me. Personally, I don't give a... well, hoot, about future toilet changes. If I ever sell my cono that is the future owners problem, but the seal part I am paranoid about. I DID buy the most expensive kit, it included PVC in the middle and an extension for putting it on top of the tile, heck I can always get another, they were like 10 bucks. The thing that is stopping me is the seal appears good now, if I pull it up, I run the risk of it not being after the re-install. A more difficult tiling job (frustrations) and future foor requirements if I change the toilet is worth it to me to ensure a good seal.

HOWEVER, still thinking it over....
Old 23 February 2017, 11:47 PM   #39
mannyv11
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thanks Manny..... (why don't you come over and do it!?). I understand perfectly, and the seal part is what scares me. Personally, I don't give a... well, hoot, about future toilet changes. If I ever sell my cono that is the future owners problem, but the seal part I am paranoid about. I DID buy the most expensive kit, it included PVC in the middle and an extension for putting it on top of the tile, heck I can always get another, they were like 10 bucks. The thing that is stopping me is the seal appears good now, if I pull it up, I run the risk of it not being after the re-install. A more difficult tiling job (frustrations) and future foor requirements if I change the toilet is worth it to me to ensure a good seal.

I normally just buy 2 wax rings and stack them on top of each other for the seal, I have never had an issue. Good luck Paul, in the end it will look good and be right for you... the tile will take a long time to install due to all the cuts, but I'm sure you will manage
Old 24 February 2017, 01:07 AM   #40
Abdullah71601
Banned

Quote:

You have mastered the hard part - the seal is good. When you reinstall the toilet on top of the new tile use either double stacked rings or the tall ring and install just like you've already done. No problems.

Plastic cling wrap is porous and will leak sewer gas if you use it to cover the drain. You can seal the pores with a spray on vegetable oil after you've secured the wrap in place. Or, you can use a plastic coffee can lid over the drain. Secure with duct tape. Seal with electrical tape. This will keep the odors out while you wait for the mortar and grout to cure.
Old 24 February 2017, 03:40 AM   #41
TheVTCGuy
Banned

FINE!!!!!! You convinced me!!! I am pulling the Toilet today before I lay down the tile! Everybody happy!?!?!?

Whose toilet can I poop in for he next 24 hours while the thin set dries?
Old 24 February 2017, 03:45 AM   #42
MonBK
Banned

Quote:
FINE!!!!!! You convinced me!!! I am pulling the Toilet today before I lay down the tile! Everybody happy!?!?!?

Good choice Paul, now just make sure you install everything you need.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg toa1.jpg (59.9 KB, 70 views)
MonBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2017, 03:47 AM   #43
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
idk where paul finds the time to do all these projects what with the misses around.

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2017, 04:48 AM   #44
swils8610
2024 Pledge Member

Good decision Paul!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
swils8610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2017, 04:49 AM   #45
Abdullah71601
Banned

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by swils8610 View Post
Good decision Paul!

Peer pressure.
Old 24 February 2017, 05:44 AM   #46
mannyv11
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Smart man paul =)
Old 24 February 2017, 06:00 AM   #47
JasoninDenver
2024 Pledge Member

A wise man once said you want to live in the second house you remodel.

Definitely true for me. I have made some mistakes that no one else knew about but bugged me to no end. Like the tile lines that never quite lined up the way I wanted. Damn, I am ticked at myself just thinking about that and I sold that house 15 years ago.

116610 LN
DateJust
Pelagos FXD
JasoninDenver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2017, 06:42 AM   #48
Jocke
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: A dozen of Rolex's
And when the job is done.

What is best a custom Rolex or a Rolex that is stuck in custom?

Buy a professional camera and you´re a professional
photographer, buy a flute and you own a flute.
Jocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2017, 08:13 AM   #49
swils8610
2024 Pledge Member

Lol. Well done Jocke!

swils8610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2017, 08:14 AM   #50
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
looks low flow.

good luck.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2017, 08:18 AM   #51
bigwatchman
"TRF" Member

I am a tile contractor.... pull it up and tile. Then reset. No need to worry about it sealing. It will with plenty of wax from the ring. I've also never seen it done the other way either.
Luminox Field Watch Day-Date
Casio G-Shock Analog/Chrono
bigwatchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2017, 09:30 AM   #52
Tri-Tip
"TRF" Member

Watch: Out!!!
I drove past Paul's house today, and he's put his old toilet out by the curb for the trash man to haul away:

Tri-Tip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2017, 10:04 AM   #53
Dr.Brian
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the market.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBL View Post
One of those swanky toilets that meets EPA flushing guidelines?
Good job!
Cheers,
DM
Is that like a low flow shower head? I'll pass on the low flow toilet.
;)

He needs one of the fancy Japanese toilets that wash, dry, etc.

十人十色
Dr.Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2017, 10:46 AM   #54
TheVTCGuy
Banned

To all of you making fun of me:

Tomorrow the Toilet goes back on, then grout.

I... I have to go to the bathroom.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0219.jpg (113.1 KB, 36 views)
Old 24 February 2017, 12:07 PM   #55
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Smart move. I too have a Toto

Now get yourself a 350e washlet
GB-man is offline   Reply With Quote