The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 15 September 2015, 11:11 PM   #1
Fieldy
"TRF" Member

1950s Rolex, info required please

Hi there

I am new to the forum and basically after info regarding a Rolex I have acquired from my late Grandad who received the watch after 25 years service back in 1954 (approx).

I believe the watch would have had a leather strap although he replaced this soon after receiving it for personal choice, the replacement strap being damaged hence being left only with the face.

It still keeps great time and I would not only like to obtain an original strap but also bought back to a decent standard.

Not sure of the approx value, hopefully someone can help with that and also advise anywhere to take to improve its condition

Picture attached, thanks for looking
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (121.6 KB, 115 views)

Last edited by Old Expat Beast; 16 September 2015 at 10:31 AM..
Fieldy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2015, 12:37 AM   #2
Bunny4jeff
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1950s Rolex Oyster
Re your old Rolex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fieldy View Post
Hi there

I am new to the forum and basically after info regarding a Rolex I have acquired from my late Grandad who received the watch after 25 years service back in 1954 (approx).

I believe the watch would have had a leather strap although he replaced this soon after receiving it for personal choice, the replacement strap being damaged hence being left only with the face.

It still keeps great time and I would not only like to obtain an original strap but also bought back to a decent standard.

Not sure of the approx value, hopefully someone can help with that and also advise anywhere to take to improve its condition

Picture attached, thanks for looking
Hi, I am no expert at all on Rolex watches, but I have a similar watch of a similar age to yours, I too had/have queries about its age and what type of strap it originally had. I bought mine in an auction, it runs well, and has a leather strap attached. I had no ideas really about it but through this forum I found a reliable and highly rated vintage watch repairer, William Rice, located in the Hull area, who had a look at it for me. They told me it was supplied with a leather strap, which they can supply and fit me a genuine Rolex replacement for what to me seems a good and reasonable price. They now have it for a service. If you contact them they will be able to help you as they have me. I will attach a pic of my watch which is likely to be a similar age to your Grandad's, as the dial and markings are of a similar style. I hope my input helps and good luck with your lovely watch. PS. The strap in my pic is apparently not the original supplied with the watch.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20150906_171012_resized.jpg (76.2 KB, 149 views)

Last edited by Bunny4jeff; 16 September 2015 at 12:39 AM.. Reason: Missing info
Bunny4jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2015, 02:12 AM   #3
andromeda160
Banned

Watch: Rolex Oyster
model number will be inside the caseback, it's not an oyster case so it isn't waterproof. finding an original dial in decent condition will be a task on it's own and fully restored you'd likely have the value of the watch if not more in the restoration.
andromeda160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2015, 10:30 AM   #4
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
The dial looks great, I wouldn't change it, or get it repainted. It's got character. And in any case, that's the dial your grandad looked at for all those years. I flipped the photo for you so it's the right way up now.
Old Expat Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2015, 03:30 PM   #5
eightbore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
The dial looks great, I wouldn't change it, or get it repainted. It's got character. And in any case, that's the dial your grandad looked at for all those years. I flipped the photo for you so it's the right way up now.
100%! Change NOTHING cosmetic on that watch!
eightbore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2015, 05:25 PM   #6
Fieldy
"TRF" Member

Thanks for all comments, much appreciated, I'm reluctant to send it anywhere to be honest for fear of possible loss and/or damage, I would however like to obtain an original strap if possible so if anyone could suggest where and a rough cost to get one from, would be brilliant.

Is this worth a valuation for insurance purposes as recommended by Rolex shop in my local city centre (Leicester) or, are they just trying to fleece me of money for the sake of it, a local (works for himself) said if I were selling then he would pay somewhere in the region of £500 just face although with original strap possibly £700, I don't have a clue if that's good or not, doesn't sound it.

May I add, there is no way on earth I'm selling, as you can see from the face, this was worn daily and looks to be in direct sunlight, watch will be handed down through family although, as stated, an original strap would be great so I can wear it on occasions

Thanks again
Fieldy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2015, 12:08 AM   #7
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
Just find a nice leather strap for it, and maybe an old stainless steel Rolex buckle, which you might find on ebay. This watch probably came with a leather strap, possibly steel, but it's almost impossible to know what it originally came with exactly. Leather straps from that period would likely be unusable on a daily basis now anyway. You need to measure the milimetres between the lugs and go from there. The watch is worth what anyone will pay for it. Insurance is not much use, as it's irreplacable to you. Just looks after it carefully.
Old Expat Beast is offline   Reply With Quote