The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 16 September 2015, 02:04 AM   #1
jhoehn87
"TRF" Member

Rolex Gift Need Info

Hi All,
My father purchased this around 1980/1981. I am going to be giving it to my husband as a gift. I am unsure of any info on it. Can anyone tell me more about what I have here? I'm also curious how much it costs to service it, how often it needs to be serviced and any other cool info about the unique watch. Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rolex Small.jpg (9.6 KB, 106 views)
jhoehn87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2015, 09:25 AM   #2
Michael M.
Banned

Looks to be a late 1970's Rolex GMT-Master ref.1675 in two tone (Stainless Steel and YG). As far as servicing goes, expect to pay between $500-$700 depending on what you decide to have done to the watch.
Michael M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2015, 09:26 AM   #3
sishac
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 5512
Well, I'm not an expert, but here goes...from your picture (please post better ones of the dial) that seems to be a two-tone 1675 GMT with a nipple dial. I can't tell what is original and what is aftermarket. Figure a service will be in the $600-$800 range from a qualified Rolex certified watchmaker depending on what is needed. An independent watchmaker can probably service that for about 1/2 of the price...generally speaking you don't want to send it to Rolex because A. they will be really expensive, and B. while they will do a great job, they will want to replace everything with shiny new pieces (read below). A couple of things to keep in mind....

1. With vintage Rolex originality is everything...including papers/receipts/service records. DO NOT let anyone give you a new dial that glows, a new bracelet, new hands, dial, etc. A new crystal (as long as it is Rolex) is OK.

2. If you get it serviced, simply ask them to service the movement...that is it...don't change anything (do you see my pattern).

3. A good rule of thumb is to service a watch about every 5 years, but I have had several watches (Rolex and non-Rolex) automatic that have gone longer.

Enjoy the watch, it is beautiful!!!
sishac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2015, 10:10 AM   #4
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
You could have a GMT-MASTER, model 16753, which is similar to the model 1675 which preceded the 16753. If it was purchased during 1980-1981, it is quite possibly a GMT-MASTER model 16753 as the GMT-MASTER 1675 was discontinued around 1980. One way to determine which model you have is the coronet on the dial. If the coronet on the dial is painted, it is most likely a 16753. The GMT-MASTER 1675 which preceded the 16753 model, had a gold-colored, metal coronet on the dial.

Another way to determine the model you have is by unwinding the crown and attempt to determine if it has a quick-set date function. On a 16753, there are three positions after unwinding the crown. The first position winds the watch, the second position when wound counterclockwise acts as a quick-set feature to change the date and the third position sets the hands. If the date sets quickly in the second position, it would be a 16753. The 1675 model does not have the quick-set date feature. The numbers stamped on the 6 o'clock side between the lugs is the serial number.

To positively verify which model you have, remove the bracelet and check the 12 o'clock side of the watch case between the lugs and look for the model number which is stamped there on the case.

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote