The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 3 January 2016, 05:08 AM   #1
Flintstone
"TRF" Member

The Big Short

Check out all the watches in The Big Short. I saw a Rolex Day/Date, A GMT a Patek and I think (although not sure) a JLC. Anyone else spot any?
Flintstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2016, 05:14 AM   #2
Justinmg
"TRF" Member

Watch: PO
Haven't seen it yet but looks good, I'll keep a look out
Justinmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2016, 05:25 AM   #3
GP13
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them...
Oyster quartz and sub
GP13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2016, 06:00 AM   #4
mps354
2024 Pledge Member

I definitely saw an oyster quartz, and Steve Carell's character wore a sub or GMT, but that's all I saw
mps354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2016, 06:16 AM   #5
PaulRP
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Cartier
Great movie. It was cool to see an Oyster Quartz in the movie.
PaulRP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2016, 06:28 AM   #6
Wesley Crusher
"TRF" Member

I thought the OQ was interesting. I wonder if the director had the actor wear it or if it was his personal watch.

Anyway, The Big Short was an awesome movie. Just awesome!
Wesley Crusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2016, 11:43 AM   #7
Rolex57
Banned

Watch: DSSD, YM2 SS
Agreed, best movie of the year IMO.

Steve Carrell's playing of Ed Baum was the most interesting.
Rolex57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2016, 09:00 AM   #8
Jack T
"TRF" Member

Watch: Several
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Crusher View Post
I thought the OQ was interesting. I wonder if the director had the actor wear it or if it was his personal watch.

Anyway, The Big Short was an awesome movie. Just awesome!
I've been in advertising and media for years; nothing appears on film by chance.

And yes, it is a great movie.
Old 4 January 2016, 12:17 PM   #9
aced75
"TRF" Member

Watch: Ballon Bleu
Im actually going to watch it right now lol, ill keep an eye for what they wear!
aced75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2016, 04:56 PM   #10
Bocktagon
"TRF" Member

Watch: Seamaster GMT
I saw the JLC too. I don't remember who was wearing it, I just remember making a note of it as I normally do when I watch movies.
Bocktagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2016, 02:45 PM   #11
big_raji
"TRF" Member

Steve carell's character was wearing a 116610, even though it was 2006.

Saw an article in Sharp magazine where the prop guy (Michael Bates) was talking about matching personalities of characters with watches.

Gosling had an IWC big pilot (bold and cocky)
Carell with the rolex ceramic sub (self absorbed, simple lol)
Pitt had the Breitling Emergency II with locator beacon (neurotic, feared the end of the world)

It was interesting to find out the detail and thought that went into picking the watches, rather than just product placement.
big_raji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2016, 02:52 PM   #12
Charlie_pace
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub 16610
Just watched the movie tonight. The Sub was all over the movie. I too was surprised that they were using a ceramic sub and not the 16610 that would have been around at that time. Either way, I think the watches fit the personalities in the film.
Charlie_pace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2016, 06:35 AM   #13
MaverickMP
"TRF" Member

noticed the sub instantly..

Great movie
MaverickMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2016, 06:55 AM   #14
wantonebad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 126600, 116500LN
I've heard great things about the movie and I'm glad our hobbies are well represented but I do find it a bit ironic that we're all talking about the characters, their watches and their personalities rather then about the fact that this story had to be told. Moreover the reason it had to be told is that in the world of finance people are always looking for loopholes, mistakes or something to exploit. and what got exploited in this story, the single largest financial con-job in the history of this planet. I'm glad it was entertaining and that the movie showcased watches but not only do I have zero plans to see it, I'm disgusted it ever had to made.

I'm sorry but there is nothing light or airy about this story and the fact that my friends and family's lifestyles were devastated by this and none of the leaders that created this mess are doing any time is beyond the pale for me.
wantonebad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2016, 07:00 AM   #15
azguy
Banned

Watch: ---------
Quote:
Originally Posted by wantonebad View Post

I'm sorry but there is nothing light or airy about this story and the fact that none of the leaders that created this mess are doing any time is beyond the pale for me.
I agree and they took Billion in government bailout money and then went right back to giving million dollar bonuses to execs. I think it was by 2011 Goldman Sachs was back to $20 million bonuses to executives.

Bankers, Underwriters, loan officers, appraisers, etc should have been held accountable. I remember buying a house in 2005 and saying, you'll lend me how much , I spent half for what I was pre-approved for.
azguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2016, 02:54 PM   #16
Danny83

Watch: Yellow Gold
It had some cool watches but it had me dozing off
Danny83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2016, 07:12 PM   #17
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Watch: This N That
Quote:
I've heard great things about the movie and I'm glad our hobbies are well represented but I do find it a bit ironic that we're all talking about the characters, their watches and their personalities rather then about the fact that this story had to be told. Moreover the reason it had to be told is that in the world of finance people are always looking for loopholes, mistakes or something to exploit. and what got exploited in this story, the single largest financial con-job in the history of this planet. I'm glad it was entertaining and that the movie showcased watches but not only do I have zero plans to see it, I'm disgusted it ever had to made.

I'm sorry but there is nothing light or airy about this story and the fact that my friends and family's lifestyles were devastated by this and none of the leaders that created this mess are doing any time is beyond the pale for me.
Well said!!

Loyal Foot Soldier of The Nylon Nation.

Card Carrying Member of the Global Association of
Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
dddrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2016, 10:50 PM   #18
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
Quote:

That makes 2 of us Marc!

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2016, 12:14 PM   #19
jhilly8982
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Are you familiar with the story? The main characters are outsiders on Wall Street. They essentially predicted and exposed the toxic loan packages that the too big to fail banks created, marked in their favor, then got run over on. Had this story never been written, surely a more devastating one would soon follow.

But yes, it is a shame it ever happened and no one is doing time. Tons of collateral damage on the economy.
jhilly8982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2016, 12:30 PM   #20
wantonebad

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhilly8982 View Post
Are you familiar with the story? The main characters are outsiders on Wall Street. They essentially predicted and exposed the toxic loan packages that the too big to fail banks created, marked in their favor, then got run over on. Had this story never been written, surely a more devastating one would soon follow.

But yes, it is a shame it ever happened and no one is doing time. Tons of collateral damage on the economy.
Did you read my quote before you quoted it... Do you know what I meant? I meant “The Big Short” is about how several traders and hedge fund managers made fortunes because they saw that the housing market’s decline would cause a collapse of bonds contrived from sub-prime mortgages. They saw, they made money, but it's all ok cause they tried to warn people!?!?!?!?!

I do not agree, that's why I posted what I posted.
Old 25 January 2016, 12:39 PM   #21
Invictus Maneo
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
I'm with you, Marc. The fact this even happened is incredulous! So many people were hurt by the actions of these lenders and the fact NOONE is doing some serious time shows how messed up our judicial system is. If you have the money the regular rules don't apply. Make them up as you go.
Invictus Maneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2016, 12:50 PM   #22
jhilly8982
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Did you read my quote before you quoted it...
Perhaps I wasn't as clear as I thought I was but you stated you are disgusted this movie even had to be made. The story isn't glorifying TBT fail banks so I was just wondering why you would take such offense to it. If you think about it, movies about any war, the holocaust, genocide, slavery etc. are injustices that had to be told, No? People are enlightened through stories of injustice.
Old 25 January 2016, 12:58 PM   #23
wantonebad

Quote:
Perhaps I wasn't as clear as I thought I was but you stated you are disgusted this movie even had to be made. The story isn't glorifying TBT fail banks so I was just wondering why you would take such offense to it. If you think about it, movies about any war, the holocaust, genocide, slavery etc. are injustices that had to be told, No? People are enlightened through stories of injustice.
Simple equation for me, someone profited while millions suffered, and continue to suffer. Any comedy or levity about this subject is inappropriate even if it is to point out the stupidity and how we were all duped. You don't have to agree with me but don't patronize me either.
Old 25 January 2016, 01:08 PM   #24
jhilly8982
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Simple equation for me, someone profited while millions suffered, and continue to suffer. Any comedy or levity about this subject is inappropriate even if it is to point out the stupidity and how we were all duped. You don't have to agree with but don't patronize me either.
I understand. I am just trying to say, I think a few people profiting isn't the problem, IMO. TBT fail banks are the far bigger criminals, by an order of magnitude and how this came about was actually a perfect storm dating back to 1995 with the repeal of the Glass-Steagall Act, the passing of the Commodity Futures Modernization Act (said credit defaults were free from regulation) and the lowering of lending standards to unworthy recipients. Everyone wants to blame the short sellers, but they usually aren't the cause. Just the vultures circling a distressed entity.
Old 25 January 2016, 01:16 PM   #25
wantonebad

Quote:
I understand. I am just trying to say, I think a few people profiting isn't the problem, IMO. TBT fail banks are the far bigger criminals, by an order of magnitude and how this came about was actually a perfect storm dating back to 1995 with the repeal of the Glass-Steagall Act, the passing of the Commodity Futures Modernization Act (said credit defaults were free from regulation) and the lowering of lending standards to unworthy recipients. Everyone wants to blame the short sellers, but they usually aren't the cause. Just the vultures circling a distressed entity.
All well documented facts, not sure why you called me out? Why you questioned my opinion or my grasp of the story. I assume you felt there was something I didn't get or understand. Let me assure I do understand and I'm disgusted by the idea of this movie and the lack of accountability. Hollywood being moral with touch of comedy is insulting for this subject, it does not work for me so you and I will have to agree to disagree.
Old 25 January 2016, 01:23 PM   #26
jhilly8982
"TRF" Member

Quote:
All well documented facts, not sure why you called me out? Why you questioned my opinion or my grasp of the story. I assume you felt there was something I didn't get or understand. Let me assure I do understand and I'm disgusted by the idea of this movie and the lack of accountability. Hollywood being morale with touch of comedy, is insulting for this subject, it does not work for me so you and I will have to agree to disagree.
I actually haven't seen the movie, If it is anything like the Wolf of Wall Street, I get your point about a lack of accountability. I just assumed the movie has a more serious tone, like the book. I do think the books Michael Lewis writes are fantastic eye openers, shame if they dumb the movie down for the masses and make it "entertaining"

So here we are two guys arguing about a movie we've never seen.
Old 27 January 2016, 08:37 AM   #27
The Joker
"TRF" Member

Great film, didn't glorify it at all.
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2016, 10:43 AM   #28
Callummcs
"TRF" Member

Absolutely fantastic movie!

So fascinating and very scary how this was allowed to happen and very, very few seen it coming.

I would highly recommend watching it, especially if you are not clued up on exactly what happened.

Also on a much lighter note...the watches on display were sensational! Spotted them all straight away
Old 27 January 2016, 10:52 AM   #29
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
the film was done well.

the true story is a nightmare

many many many agencies and persons should have been held accountable.

after the robbery, the taxpayers were bilked again in a bail out to the same people who committed the crime… insult to injury.

most horrifying, it is potentially worse now than it was before as banks have gotten bigger and from what i understand there is in some ways even less oversight now than there was at the time of this crime.

uhggg!
Old 28 January 2016, 02:17 AM   #30
BLACKHORSE 6
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex SS Daytona
There was also a Cartier Tank in the movie.

The film had a lot to digest. I'm not in the financial world, so there's a lot of stuff that goes way over my head. The one thing that frustrates me about the whole situation is that for real businesses competing in the marketplace that provide a product or service, poor decisions and a flawed business model lead to failure. The big banks screwed up, but never really faced the same consequences that a small business owner would in the the same circumstances.
BLACKHORSE 6 is offline   Reply With Quote