The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!!

Old 1 February 2017, 03:44 AM   #1
Frich
"TRF" Member

Engraving on the back of a vintage ladies date just

I must preface this by saying I am a complete newbie to Rolex watches. I prefer vintage (40s/50s) Omegas.

My wife always wanted a Rolex and I decided that this year, for our anniversary, I will buy her one. I looked around and found a beautiful vintage ladies date just. It was around 4500. The seller is a reputable jeweler.

The watch arrived the other day and, other than a few barely visible hairline scratches, looked beautiful out if the box.

I looked it over, no blemishes, but I did notice on the back of the watch a "stainless steel" engraving. It gave me pause because, based on my pre-purchase research/due diligence, the back of an authentic Rolex should be free of any engraving. That being said, I did read on a few blogs that some older ladies date just models do have stainless steel engraved on the back.

Should I be concerned? Based on the serial number the jewelry shop gave me the watch is circa 1981.
Frich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2017, 08:40 AM   #2
freefly
"TRF" Member

Watch: 4&5-digit Sub/GMTs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frich View Post
Should I be concerned? Based on the serial number the jewelry shop gave me the watch is circa 1981.
No worries, a lady DJ from that era should have the engraving on the case back. Post pics if you have any other concerns.
freefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2017, 11:48 AM   #3
Knappo 1307
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Sea Dweller
Is it sold 18K? 4500 for a 1981 SS ladies DJ is very steep....
Knappo 1307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2017, 12:59 PM   #4
Frich
"TRF" Member

Here are photos of the watch. I realize that the diamond bezel is after market.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170130_214117-1-1.jpg (274.3 KB, 211 views)
File Type: jpg 20170130_214143.jpg (68.4 KB, 210 views)
File Type: jpg 20170130_214230.jpg (44.5 KB, 210 views)
File Type: jpg 20170130_214313-1.jpg (55.8 KB, 213 views)
File Type: jpg 20170130_214424.jpg (43.1 KB, 213 views)
Old 1 February 2017, 03:24 PM   #5
77T

I think the diamonds were added, too. OEM diamond dials of that era were different. But since you have the time, get it to a watchmaker who can tell you for sure.

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2017, 04:01 PM   #6
Frich
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
I think the diamonds were added, too. OEM diamond dials of that era were different. But since you have the time, get it to a watchmaker who can tell you for sure.
Would anyone know for certain if the watch is authentic and if so, how authentic? Is there a catalogue raisonne/reference guide of all Rolexes ever made? Perhaps only the Rolex Service Center would know for sure?

You think the diamonds were added to the face as well? I have seen vintage ladies DateJust from reputable dealers like Bob's Watches with diamond faces.
Old 1 February 2017, 05:50 PM   #7
MonBK
Banned

The bezel and dial are aftermarket.

A diamond dial from that era should have MIR settings.
MonBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2017, 07:13 PM   #8
MonBK
Banned

Like this.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg a1 - Copy.jpg (92.4 KB, 184 views)
MonBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2017, 09:22 PM   #9
crowncollection
"TRF" Member

Engraving on the back of a vintage ladies date just

Quote:
I must preface this by saying I am a complete newbie to Rolex watches. I prefer vintage (40s/50s) Omegas.

My wife always wanted a Rolex and I decided that this year, for our anniversary, I will buy her one. I looked around and found a beautiful vintage ladies date just. It was around 4500. The seller is a reputable jeweler.

The watch arrived the other day and, other than a few barely visible hairline scratches, looked beautiful out if the box.

I looked it over, no blemishes, but I did notice on the back of the watch a "stainless steel" engraving. It gave me pause because, based on my pre-purchase research/due diligence, the back of an authentic Rolex should be free of any engraving. That being said, I did read on a few blogs that some older ladies date just models do have stainless steel engraved on the back.

Engraved caseback is normal, the dial and bezel are aftermarket

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 2 February 2017, 12:32 AM   #10
77T

Quote:
Would anyone know for certain if the watch is authentic and if so, how authentic? Is there a catalogue raisonne/reference guide of all Rolexes ever made? Perhaps only the Rolex Service Center would know for sure?

You think the diamonds were added to the face as well? I have seen vintage ladies DateJust from reputable dealers like Bob's Watches with diamond faces.

A good watchmaker who is Rolex certified would know about the movement inside. Some ADs have them in-house or you can search AWCI database for independent ones nearby.

The only complete record for that particular Watch is at Rolex HQ and you access that knowledge at an RSC. If you brought it there, or sent it there, ask for a service quote to "make it like new". Their quote will include the items that need to be replaced to make it original.

As I said earlier, the diamonds on the dial weren't there originally and you already knew about the bezel. But other things inside may need work unbeknownst to you or us - pictures won't help. At the very least make sure the watch will pass a pressure test for water resistance - aftermarket bezels don't always conform to the case & crystal dimensions properly.

As for keeping it - if you still have time before the anniversary - I think you were charged too much for a 6xxxxxx s/n Lady DJ with aftermarket bezel/dial. I'd say $500-$800 too high but if she has seen it and likes it, then just consider it a trifle compared to her possible disappointment with any other ones you find.

Old 2 February 2017, 10:07 AM   #11
Frich
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
A good watchmaker who is Rolex certified would know about the movement inside. Some ADs have them in-house or you can search AWCI database for independent ones nearby.

The only complete record for that particular Watch is at Rolex HQ and you access that knowledge at an RSC. If you brought it there, or sent it there, ask for a service quote to "make it like new". Their quote will include the items that need to be replaced to make it original.

As I said earlier, the diamonds on the dial weren't there originally and you already knew about the bezel. But other things inside may need work unbeknownst to you or us - pictures won't help. At the very least make sure the watch will pass a pressure test for water resistance - aftermarket bezels don't always conform to the case & crystal dimensions properly.

As for keeping it - if you still have time before the anniversary - I think you were charged too much for a 6xxxxxx s/n Lady DJ with aftermarket bezel/dial. I'd say $500-$800 too high but if she has seen it and likes it, then just consider it a trifle compared to her possible disappointment with any other ones you find.
So the value of the watch as is (in the modified condition) with the after market diamond work/face is around $3500? She does really like it. I mean, the diamonds do make it pack quite a punch.
Old 2 February 2017, 11:37 AM   #12
77T

Sorry I wasn't establishing a value for your watch - I was noting what the market is asking for other Lady DJ models with diamond bezels and dials. I can't say based on carat, color and clarity what those diamonds are worth in yours.

But you said the most important thing - she already loves it. Just get it pressure checked and make sure it is running as accurately as you expect before your return rights expire.

Old 2 February 2017, 12:41 PM   #13
jvmartin
"TRF" Member

Looks like a 6917 (14k/SS)... dial and bezel are definitely aftermarket... definitely on the steep side but if you're buying in an actual storefront that is to be expected...
jvmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 February 2017, 01:55 PM   #14
GGGMT
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 79010sg
OP: This watch is like a bad clown show. Overpriced and jacked around with. Do yourself a favor as a new rolex investor and buy from a reputable seller on this forum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
GGGMT is offline   Reply With Quote