The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 11 April 2024, 10:27 AM   #1
Cwall12345
"TRF" Member

How accurate is your Rolex

My first and only Rolex is a 2023 Sub Date. There are lots of things I love about it. But it is not nearly as accurate as my Tudor watches.

This watch is losing about 6 seconds per day on the wrist. When I set it down at night, it usually gains back a couple seconds.

I had sent it to Rolex for a service as it had started losing and gaining time erratically, about 8 seconds per day. I just got it back and it is better but it is not +- 2 secs/day.

Any suggestions or is this par for the course?
Cwall12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2024, 10:56 AM   #2
0nly5iv3Digits
"TRF" Member

Watch: Got a Few :)
All of mine are regulated to +/- 1s/24 hours.

Yours didn't need a service if its a 23', but rather a regulation. +/-2s is superlative chronometer status, as Rolexes are advertised. It is good.

UNpolished or I’m not interested” 😎
2FA Enabled
0nly5iv3Digits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2024, 11:10 AM   #3
t65tampa
"TRF" Member

All of my Rolex watches are within +2 to -2 sec a day. My AP watches range from +4 to -4 sec a day. My Panerai is at +2 sec a day. My PP 5124 is at +2 sec a day.

I'd wear your Submariner and see where it settles out. You've got plenty of warranty and you can always send it back to a Rolex Service Center if needed. Give it some time on the wrist with regular wear. I know breaking in a mechanical watch doesn't really make sense, but I have had a few watches over the years seem like they take a while to stabilize in consistent timekeeping after I bought them.
Old 11 April 2024, 11:19 AM   #4
csaltphoto
"TRF" Member

Watch: sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by t65tampa View Post
All of my Rolex watches are within +2 to -2 sec a day. My AP watches range from +4 to -4 sec a day. My Panerai is at +2 sec a day. My PP 5124 is at +2 sec a day.

I'd wear your Submariner and see where it settles out. You've got plenty of warranty and you can always send it back to a Rolex Service Center if needed. Give it some time on the wrist with regular wear. I know breaking in a mechanical watch doesn't really make sense, but I have had a few watches over the years seem like they take a while to stabilize in consistent timekeeping after I bought them.
It makes no sense at all but was true in my case. Right after service (5 years ago) mine was about +4. But it's settled in to +2/spd. On average.
csaltphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2024, 11:27 AM   #5
kilyung
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sundial
I used to obsess about this when I started collecting. So much so that I took watchmaking classes and bought thousands of dollars in tools. I’m glad I did all that but as I’ve learned more and collected more watches (and thus wear each watch less frequently), I’ve gotten over accuracy. If it’s accurate to within a minute a day, I’m good. If I want uncompromising accuracy there’s Oysterquartz or even a digital watch.
kilyung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2024, 12:07 PM   #6
KatGirl
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: 126233 Wimbledon T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cwall12345 View Post
My first and only Rolex is a 2023 Sub Date. There are lots of things I love about it. But it is not nearly as accurate as my Tudor watches.

This watch is losing about 6 seconds per day on the wrist. When I set it down at night, it usually gains back a couple seconds.

I had sent it to Rolex for a service as it had started losing and gaining time erratically, about 8 seconds per day. I just got it back and it is better but it is not +- 2 secs/day.

I wouldn’t stress over -4 seconds per day. That is within chronometer standards. If it starts losing more time, then start to worry, but not yet.

Kat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
KatGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2024, 12:30 PM   #7
MikeCa
"TRF" Member

Watch: 41 Sub
I check my Rolex against my smartphone every morning when I put it on, it ranges from 0 to +0.5s per day
MikeCa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2024, 12:47 PM   #8
csaltphoto
"TRF" Member

Watch: sub
Sorry but this is the one thing I will hold Rolex's feet to the fire on. Lots of high end watch manufacturers don't even publicize accuracy standards. Or you have to dig around in the technical specs fine print. Rolex trumpets their "Superlative Chronometer" standard from the highest castle walls, prints it on every dial, mentions it in every marketing spiel. So darn right I'm going to expect it, or something very close to it. I know how many seconds there are in a day, I know car mileage is often tested under ideal conditions. Most people who buy a performance car don't care about mileage. They care about performance. Rolex is a performance mechanical watch.
csaltphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2024, 12:49 PM   #9
JMGoodnight369
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I would send it right back. That is outside of spec and IMO unacceptable for a time piece that cost over 10k and is advertised to run within a +/-2 per day. I’m sure Padi will comment soon enough about how it shouldn’t matter as Rolex today are nothing but jewelry and there’s 86000 seconds a day or whatever jargon others have to say. I had a 124060 that ran slow from day 1. Went to Rolex twice before it started running correctly. It’s a bummer and I feel for you and the frustrations
JMGoodnight369 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2024, 01:25 PM   #10
Easy E

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0nly5iv3Digits View Post

Yours didn't need a service if it’s a 23', but rather a regulation.
This may not be a completely accurate statement
Easy E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2024, 01:53 PM   #11
KatGirl

Watch: 126233 Wimbledon T
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMGoodnight369 View Post
I would send it right back. That is outside of spec and IMO unacceptable for a time piece that cost over 10k and is advertised to run within a +/-2 per day. I’m sure Padi will comment soon enough about how it shouldn’t matter as Rolex today are nothing but jewelry and there’s 86000 seconds a day or whatever jargon others have to say. I had a 124060 that ran slow from day 1. Went to Rolex twice before it started running correctly. It’s a bummer and I feel for you and the frustrations

I just hate that he has to be without it for weeks again. I do agree completely, in principle , though. You are spot on.

Kat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
KatGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2024, 01:59 PM   #12
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Quote:
All of mine are regulated to +/- 1s/24 hours.

Yours didn't need a service if its a 23', but rather a regulation. +/-2s is superlative chronometer status, as Rolexes are advertised. It is good.
Wow!!

Seriously?

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2024, 02:47 PM   #13
GrumpyMax
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer II 226570
After last service, my Explorer II is +15 sec / 2 months. And I agree with the point that as long as Rolex advertises its watches as superlative chronometer, it should be running according to the specs. As soon as mine will fall out of +/- 2 sec (averaging on the long time interval, not one day), I'll send it for regulation again.
GrumpyMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2024, 02:52 PM   #14
Kevin of Larchmont
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Ingersoll Mickey
My 116660 DSSD lost one second in 28 days (posted about it in another thread). I realize that this is an anomaly but I’m pretty thrilled that it’s my anomaly.
Kevin of Larchmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2024, 02:54 PM   #15
Curated
"TRF" Member

Couldn’t tell you how accurate mine are as I have never checked….they are accurate enough, that I do know. Life is too short to obsess over a watch being a couple of seconds off.
Curated is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2024, 03:01 PM   #16
Steerpike999
"TRF" Member

Watch: A few.....
Just checked my 116710LN purchased new May 2009 runs +2sec/day.
Its always been a very accurate watch. first few years it was always on my wrist 24/7. last few years probably gets 3-4 days wrist time every 4-6 weeks in the rotation.

Rolex make a good watch!
Steerpike999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2024, 04:02 PM   #17
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
Quote:

If you have sent it in to Rolex already and it has come back losing 6 secs/day, you should send it back again. Maybe tell them you know about the 32xx movement issue discussed here: https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=786299
Old 11 April 2024, 04:15 PM   #18
0nly5iv3Digits
"TRF" Member

Watch: Got a Few :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andad View Post
Wow!!

Seriously?
What’s serious is my OCD… so yes… I have them regulated to +/- 1s per day. But I can often get 0s variation when I lay the watches down at night.

UNpolished or I’m not interested” 😎
2FA Enabled
0nly5iv3Digits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2024, 04:19 PM   #19
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Quote:
What’s serious is my OCD… so yes… I have them regulated to +/- 1s per day. But I can often get 0s variation when I lay the watches down at night.
When you say all.
How many do you have that are not only ‘regulated’ to +/-1 but can maintain that when worn?

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2024, 04:40 PM   #20
Mr Ben
"TRF" Member

Watch: 226570
I’m not far off Kevin’s DSSD - have worn my Exp II daily for about 16 months (bought new). I normally check the time when I adjust the date in a short month and it’s always been within 5 seconds, sometimes spot on which is astonishing over the course of 60-90 days.
Mr Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2024, 05:03 PM   #21
BMWMotoRider
"TRF" Member

My 2 year old Seamaster 43 is currently between 20 and 30 seconds slow per day. I’m debating on when to send it, thinking that maybe someday soon there will really be a fix for the 3235 movements.
BMWMotoRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2024, 05:52 PM   #22
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kilyung View Post
I used to obsess about this when I started collecting. So much so that I took watchmaking classes and bought thousands of dollars in tools. I’m glad I did all that but as I’ve learned more and collected more watches (and thus wear each watch less frequently), I’ve gotten over accuracy. If it’s accurate to within a minute a day, I’m good. If I want uncompromising accuracy there’s Oysterquartz or even a digital watch.
Have to agree cannot under stand why many today worry and fret over a few seconds, thank god my life was never ran to the exact second. I have been wearing Rolex watches for well over 50 years, but must admit never been anal about checking to the exact second. I check mine once a week or longer if more than a minute out might adjust.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2024, 05:55 PM   #23
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

If it bugs you, send it in again. It is running out of Rolex spec and still in warranty.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2024, 06:01 PM   #24
Number3
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060LB
Of the five Rolexes I’ve had only the Hulk ever came close to being ‘in spec’. My Omegas on the other hand are all spot on.
Number3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2024, 06:44 PM   #25
Moondoggy
"TRF" Member

Watch: and wait
I don't even set the time....true

Never argue with a fool, as eventually it will be difficult to tell the difference.
Moondoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2024, 06:58 PM   #26
Number3
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moondoggy View Post
I don't even set the time....true
My wife is the same with hers, wears them as jewellery. Honestly.
Number3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2024, 07:14 PM   #27
Moondoggy
"TRF" Member

Watch: and wait
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number3 View Post
My wife is the same with hers, wears them as jewellery. Honestly.
Yep my wife the same, if we go on vacation she goes into an AD for them to set the time.

Never argue with a fool, as eventually it will be difficult to tell the difference.
Moondoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2024, 07:23 PM   #28
travisb
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes..
Quote:
Pretty much the same here. I've never taken watchmaking classes but I stopped obsessing about accuracy years ago. If it's not noticeable without testing it I don't worry about it. I just enjoy my watches.
travisb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2024, 07:38 PM   #29
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:

Although Rolex tests now to a precision of -2+6 seconds in a controlled environment and it passes at time of testing.This dont mean it will perform exactly the same every day,as on the wrist there are many variables'. The escapement of a mechanical watch pushes the gears 432,000 times a day.And a day has 86,400 seconds,the bare uncased movements are still tested at the COSC to a average of -4+6 seconds. And in the first ten days of testing could vary by up to ten seconds on any single day and still pass this test. This is still very high precision, given the fact that the movement is constantly affected by the earth's gravity, metal expansion and contraction,mainspring power-reserve, temperature variations, subtle changes in lubrication and friction,owners wearing habits, shocks, and so on.The fact is that no mechanical watch made will keep 100% perfect time, very close yes but perfect no.And if any mechanical watch performs consistently inside or slightly outside the COSC spec of AVERAGE -4+6 seconds a day don't think anyone could ask anymore from any purely mechanical watch

And any modern day wristwatch chronometers are, by the almost 320 year old 18th century navigational standards imposed on John Harrison,H4 watch,quite laughably inaccurate even by today's standards.How about just 5 seconds slow after 63 days at sea,in one of the toughest environments known to man, not bad for a almost 320 year old watch.Now in those days no modern machinery no computer designs no robots,just his bare hands and crude tools.So next time when you look at your watch and only a few seconds out it wont feel so bad.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2024, 07:59 PM   #30
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by travisb View Post
Pretty much the same here. I've never taken watchmaking classes but I stopped obsessing about accuracy years ago. If it's not noticeable without testing it I don't worry about it. I just enjoy my watches.
I’m with these guys (minus any classes :chuckle).

To each their own
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote