The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 22 May 2020, 02:36 AM   #1
Kawirider
"TRF" Member

Can somebody school me on Panerai?

Hey guys. I have recently taken an interest in Panerai. I’ll be honest I don’t know nothing about them. This one happened to pop up while I was browsing watches and I don’t know the first thing about it. Can someone enlighten me a bit on this watch? Is it a known model? Hold value? What’s a realistic price I can find it for?

I have a muscular build with 7.5-7.75” wrists so the large size shouldn’t be an issue for me. In the past I have had a Rolex datejust 36mm, and 2 Rolex two tone Bluesy. I sold the bluesy because I am hunting for a TT white face skyD. I want a nice 2 watch collection. Being that I am definitely sold on the TT skyD I am trying to find a second watch in stainless.

Originally, I was going to go with an Omega speedmaster moonwatch, but I’m not sure if it’s something I’ll enjoy for a while. It looks like a great watch and forgive me for saying this but I feel like I would get bored of it quickly. The crazy case design and rugged look of than Panerai is not something you see everyday and it looks fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kawirider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2020, 07:23 AM   #2
rootbeer7
"TRF" Member

The only advice is go and try. Love mine.
Old 22 May 2020, 08:23 AM   #3
Kawirider
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rootbeer7 View Post
The only advice is go and try. Love mine.

Definitely will try it on once this covid situation settles in NY. I don’t believe jewelry stores are open here

Old 22 May 2020, 04:48 PM   #4
rootbeer7
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawirider View Post
Definitely will try it on once this covid situation settles in NY. I don’t believe jewelry stores are open here

Spend plenty of time. The Boutique in NYC is great, the team are really great. Try every model in every size! You may be surprised what you leave with.
Old 22 May 2020, 08:58 PM   #5
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

As others have said, visit a dealer and see for yourself. They really are great timepieces. You have good wrist size, too, so the Panerai should work great to fill the space :)
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2020, 09:04 PM   #6
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Once you go down that rabbit hole ...

LOVE mine and as others have stated, trying them on is key

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2020, 09:57 PM   #7
1William
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
With a larger wrist size you should look at the 47 mm watches as the 44, while somewhat large, are not really big watches. Part of the fun of Panerai is the straps and I would save some funds to get a few OEM's and some aftermarket ones. I would also look slightly pre-owned as the typical watch will lose about 30-40% from new. Why should you eat that when there are a lot in the pre-owned market. Take a look at the 422 and the 372. Classic Panerai DNA and very strong in the secondary market. Good luck and let us know what you find.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2020, 10:52 PM   #8
Oxfordian
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124060 Submariner
I also know nothing about Panerai other than I want one once the pandemic eases and we can get to AD’s to try them on. One piece of advice I received when I started on this road was to read posts on this forum, lots of titbits of information, good advice and awesome pictures to help you on the road to enlightenment.

There is one issue to be aware of when browsing this forum, you’ll end up liking every bloody watch.

GRRRRRRRRR!!!!

Small Rolex, Omega, Seiko and Oris Collection
Oxfordian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2020, 01:26 AM   #9
mg18
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710BLRO
I agree with the above posts. If you try on a few models and know what you like, and if you're patient, you can get a very good deal on the pre-owned market. I currently have a 111 which I love and picked up for a steal at $5,500 CAD, but if I were to be starting from position 0, I'd be looking at a 233 personally. That's just based on my experience of course.
mg18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2020, 05:01 AM   #10
ajsqm2
"TRF" Member

Watch: PAM 335
You'll be good with 47mm with 7.5" wrist. I agree, hit up the NYC boutique ASAP to try on a few pcs. They are a super friendly, very accommodating bunch. Ask for a coffee table book there or at a tourneau and it'll fill you in on the various models/movements and history so you can get a feel for the brand DNA.

Other than that, I'd say go with a 47mm sandwich dial luminor that fits your liking and you won't be disappointed. Great value on used market right now as well :).
ajsqm2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2020, 06:39 AM   #11
pefrom
"TRF" Member

Watch: PAM111, 126710BLRO
The first luxury piece I purchased was a PAM111. Since then I have purchased many other ones from a variety of different brands but I still find myself reaching for that Panerai. Like others have mentioned above, definitely try one on first. See if you have that connection to it.
pefrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2020, 07:02 AM   #12
kostal2093
"TRF" Member

I have a Luminor 233 dot version which is considered an iconic model. Manual wind with a power reserve of over 8 days. Everytime you put on a different strap, it feels like a new watch. I would highly recommend this for you.

Have decided though that it is time to move on and am being drawn to either a Radiomir 690 or 932. The blue dials on those are like nothing else. If anyone has either of these models and is interested in doing some trading, I would be more than interested.

Best of luck with getting a Panerai - you will love it.
kostal2093 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2020, 07:07 AM   #13
crash_c
"TRF" Member

I picked up the dot dial 233 earlier this year on TRF. Great piece.
crash_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2020, 11:25 AM   #14
Kawirider
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxfordian View Post
I also know nothing about Panerai other than I want one once the pandemic eases and we can get to AD’s to try them on. One piece of advice I received when I started on this road was to read posts on this forum, lots of titbits of information, good advice and awesome pictures to help you on the road to enlightenment.

There is one issue to be aware of when browsing this forum, you’ll end up liking every bloody watch.

GRRRRRRRRR!!!!

This is exactly the problem. Being home, I have nothing to do but browse and my want list is growing quickly. This is bad! Lol

Thanks for all the responses guys. Just read through the thread and I’m doing some searching now on the other suggested models.

Old 23 May 2020, 05:22 PM   #15
rootbeer7
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawirider View Post
This is exactly the problem. Being home, I have nothing to do but browse and my want list is growing quickly. This is bad! Lol

Thanks for all the responses guys. Just read through the thread and I’m doing some searching now on the other suggested models.

Use Instagram hashtags ie #pam233 that way you’ll get to see lots of the same watch model on lots of straps.
Old 24 May 2020, 01:06 AM   #16
pdnb
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5726, 5212
233 is all time favorite for modern Panerai. It was my first Panerai. It has an 8 day movement, power reserve indicator, GMT hand, that you can hide behind your hour hand, jumping hour hand when you travel, date with mechanical movement ( most PAMs that have date are auto), and especially favorite feature is the domed sapphire, not too many models have (most have domed plexy or flat sapphire).

For a Panerai that has many complications, it is probably the best in budget preowned, same flavor but in a ceramic case (317, the model I own currently to scratch that itch).

However, if you want a simple/ plain time only dial; we called those “base” dials; suggestions include the 372. If you want small seconds or some life on the dial, there also lots of choices, 422

You need to think about case shape you like (luminor, 1950 luminor, 1940 radiomir, pin cushion radiomir, or submersible), auto or manual movement, do you need a date, do you want a power reserve indicator ( I love this feature) and do you want an indicator on front of dial or on back)... Panerai is one of the first to do that as they first adopted a Reverso JLC movement, like the 190/368 ( own both). 3 day or 8 day reserve, sapphire or plexy, and sandwich stencil dial or painted/sausage dial..... have fun!!!!

Thinking about the above features and budget will help narrow our recommendations

pdnb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2020, 01:04 PM   #17
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
In my opinion, start with the cheapest one and go from there. You need to compare from the bottom. Not the top with Panerai.

They’re all good.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2020, 01:42 PM   #18
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas/Subs/GMTs
PAM 127 "Fiddy" .Complete set from a reputable seller .Be prepared to pay.

Start right
TswaneNguni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2020, 02:42 PM   #19
Joearch
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona + GMT BLNR
Great design and history. Very unique. I would consider the classic models. Do some research and you might find a passion fro the brand like many others have.

Joearch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2020, 05:06 PM   #20
aaronch
"TRF" Member

I've owned watches of many different brands, but there's no substitute for a Panerai!

If you like the look and they fit you well, you won't have any regrets

aaronch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2020, 09:42 AM   #21
cowboyjack
"TRF" Member

Panerai definitely have a distinctive style all their own.
cowboyjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2020, 12:18 AM   #22
opawlows
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/Tudor/Breit
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronch View Post
I've owned watches of many different brands, but there's no substitute for a Panerai!

If you like the look and they fit you well, you won't have any regrets

Agreed. My Panerai's are the watches that consistently get the most compliments or have people come up and ask about them. Just yesterday while grabbing an espresso had two separate people ask about my 111.
opawlows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2020, 03:25 AM   #23
emtee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by opawlows View Post
Agreed. My Panerai's are the watches that consistently get the most compliments or have people come up and ask about them. Just yesterday while grabbing an espresso had two separate people ask about my 111.
Yep same here. Nothing quite like it.
emtee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2020, 05:03 AM   #24
NigelPap
"TRF" Member

The best watches! Here’s my 140 with my custom solid gold bracelet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2674.jpg (290.3 KB, 240 views)
NigelPap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2020, 02:52 AM   #25
RudyB
"TRF" Member

Watch: Panerai, IWC, AP
With you wrist size, you can definitely wear a 47mm. Honestly, a 47mm might sit and look better on your wrist but you have to try one on and see how it fits. As a lot of people have said, definitely get what sings to you and don’t let other people’s opinions sway you from that. For a 44mm, I’d recommend a 88, 90, 111, 112, 233, 270, or 312 and for 47mm I’d recommend a 305, 372, 422, 423, 587, 662, 663, or 673.

No matter which one you choose, you’ll love it and wear it in the best of health!
RudyB is offline   Reply With Quote