The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 16 March 2018, 09:35 AM   #1
vinzbee
"TRF" Member

Icon13 PAM 351/1351 titanium question

Hello, I'm considering getting my first Panerai w/ a classic, old-school design and since I'd like to minimize visible scratches, I'm considering a brushed case and bezel, and all I could find that fit my criteria are the 562 and 564, but I'm leaning towards the 564 because of the small seconds, but what would be better is if it also shows the date, but it doesn't. So I started looking at the steel 320/1320, the GMT feature would be nice, the brushed steel case is fine but the bezel is polished, and I know that that's going to show hairline scratches based on my experience w/ SS, so I started looking at the 351/1351. I haven't owned a titanium watch before so I don't know if the 351/1351's polished titanium bezel will show hairline scratches, for those who own the 351/1351, is the polished, titanium bezel a scratch magnet? If so, I'll probably just stick w/ the 564 w/ the brushed titanium case and bezel. Thanks!
vinzbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2020, 04:05 AM   #2
BakerMan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinzbee View Post
Hello, I'm considering getting my first Panerai w/ a classic, old-school design and since I'd like to minimize visible scratches, I'm considering a brushed case and bezel, and all I could find that fit my criteria are the 562 and 564, but I'm leaning towards the 564 because of the small seconds, but what would be better is if it also shows the date, but it doesn't. So I started looking at the steel 320/1320, the GMT feature would be nice, the brushed steel case is fine but the bezel is polished, and I know that that's going to show hairline scratches based on my experience w/ SS, so I started looking at the 351/1351. I haven't owned a titanium watch before so I don't know if the 351/1351's polished titanium bezel will show hairline scratches, for those who own the 351/1351, is the polished, titanium bezel a scratch magnet? If so, I'll probably just stick w/ the 564 w/ the brushed titanium case and bezel. Thanks!
Nubie here considering the same watch, with the same questions.
BakerMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2020, 05:29 AM   #3
pdnb
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5726, 5212
Owner of 368 and 338; both Ti models with polished Ti bezels and brushed Ti cases.

Staring at them now; I don’t see obvious hairlines... but I am not shining light on the bezels at oblique angles

Under normal “on the wrist” inspection they look great.

I wouldn’t worry. I wear them out and about, but I am pretty good about not hitting my watch into objects.

The 368 benefits from a domed sapphire; so it protrudes further. And the 338 is smaller.

Auto watches like the 1351/351 are thicker than their manual based counterparts due to the rotor and caseback shape.

I love The brushed Ti case look; very low key and tool looking. Also have an IWC 3546-01 Ti case watch.... so I am biased.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
pdnb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2020, 06:47 AM   #4
214270Explorer
"TRF" Member

Watch: me buy Watches
"Everything" can be considered a scratch magnet.

Just be careful. Titanium does seem to scratch slightly more easily than many steels, but it is mostly a matter of the owner just taking precautions.

WATCHES ARE GOING TO GET SCRATCHES regardless. And so what. No one should care about it. They are meant to be worn and used and 'show their history'.

Rolex "some"
Tudor "some"
Damasko "some"
Misc Pieces "some"
Marathon "some"
GS Spring Drive "some"
Hamilton "some"
Findeisen "some"
214270Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2020, 08:49 AM   #5
Cru Jones
2024 Pledge Member

IMHO, Panerais look best on casual leather and scratched. Not trashed, but lived in.

The watches have pretty tough historic roots. If one wants to baby it, maybe Panerai isn’t the best brand. Just my two cents....
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2020, 09:28 AM   #6
thsiao
"TRF" Member

I’m OCD when it comes to watches and I find that scratches on brushed/satin finishes bother me way more than scratched on polished surfaces. Mainly because they are more obvious.
Old 16 May 2020, 09:45 AM   #7
ASW1
"TRF" Member

OP I would say you're overthinking things.

Everything will scratch.

In my experience titanium doesn't show scratches any more than steel. I own both steel and titanium Panerai.

Also brushed can show scratches too.

351 is a good choice. I'm not a fan of the blue seconds hand in the 1351.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk
ASW1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2020, 10:28 PM   #8
BakerMan
"TRF" Member

Thanks all!

How about the oxidation that I understand comes with the titanium? Is that something that is very noticeable over time?
Old 17 May 2020, 12:16 AM   #9
ASW1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BakerMan View Post
Thanks all!

How about the oxidation that I understand comes with the titanium? Is that something that is very noticeable over time?
Not at all. The beast below has titanium case and steel bezel. The titanium is in better condition than the steel.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk
ASW1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2020, 09:21 PM   #10
BakerMan
"TRF" Member

Thanks a heap! Looks to be very little difference in appearance then...just personal preference. And $$$ of course....
Old 18 May 2020, 05:41 AM   #11
MrTito
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR, JLC Deep Sea
It’s always a personal thing but for my tuppence worth: I’ve had a 351 since it was first released and bought it because the choc dial absolutely spoke to me. As a previous poster states, I think scratches do stand out more than on steel, but it’s not a big deal for me at least. However, I very much miss the weight of steel and find that the watch lacks something simply because it’s so light. Once again, just my opinion, but I wear it rarely as it just doesn’t feel as satisfying as a chunk of weighty steel. Horses for courses of course.
MrTito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2020, 04:55 AM   #12
Giovanni6
"TRF" Member

I have the 564 and love it ! It was difficult choice as I was between 564 and 797, both Titanium but 797 was bit busy dial.
Prefered the painted vs sandwich. Know sandwich is a panerai must have, but taste and colors...
So went for serie R.
It is Titanium and definitely contrast versus my other watches in SS, lightweight and not brilliant. Definitely a industrial/tool watch appearance.

Regarding scratches, this was what I was the most worried about, especially when I saw a small thin hair like scratch on bezel after first week!!!
But:
Those very lite scratches, if any, can be extremely easily removed with the blue side of eraser. Really it is magic!
However I am not sure if it remove bit of material like for polishing or it is a reaction of Titanium, so if you dont want to do this way, then simple water will do a bit of magic (titanium will then recolor the scratch making it not so visible anymkre).

I think Panerai on Titanium makes all its sense. This material is perfect for watch, extremely resistant to corrosion (dive watch!!!), beautiful and easy to wear!!

BTW. Precision of mine is around +3sec a day which is very good. 20200328_171058_resized.jpg20200327_150716.jpg20200330_171524.jpg

Envoyé de mon SM-N975F en utilisant Tapatalk
Giovanni6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 July 2020, 09:45 AM   #13
MidwesttoPDX
"TRF" Member

Nicks & scuffs give it character!
MidwesttoPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2020, 04:15 PM   #14
Pocosso
"TRF" Member

Watch: RO/ROO/PAM/DAYTONA
I can tell you I own many Panerais, PAM55, PAM533, PAM721, PAM351.
THe 351 is my daily beater, not delicate at all, it works fine and it is very light and comfortable to wear.
Go fo it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Paneras.jpg (116.7 KB, 186 views)
ROO(Ti)-RO-ROC
PAN0055-PAM351-PAM733-PAM721
Type XX-XXI
Pocosso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2020, 12:19 PM   #15
SWS65SM
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rainbow....CasiOak
pretty late to the party here. I've owned both, still have the 1351. It's one of my dailys, and I wear it with cuffs. Honestly dont think the TI polished bezels are any more or less prone to hairline scuffs/scratches than the steel ones. This compares to the 127/190/720 that I've worn...

I used to be crazy OCD when first gotten into Panerai, constantly "wrist aware" wherever I go. But I've grown into liking the character lines that builds over time...
SWS65SM is offline   Reply With Quote