The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 28 January 2022, 10:58 AM   #121
watchaser
2024 Pledge Member

Beautiful piece you have.

With all the madness with the 6 digit reference, I’ve turned to my 4 digit reference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
watchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2022, 11:03 AM   #122
Boaters
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV 16710 SD
I love the six digits more weight and Glidelock clasp. But hey my 16710 five-digit is still getting its fair share of wrist time.
Boaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2022, 11:06 AM   #123
dchernikoff
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub LV
I agree, I like the comfort and the better engineering of my 6-digit DJ over my 5-digit Coke. The thin metal of the clasp just seems so cheezy now. But I do still enjoy wearing it - and especially the remarks I get from AD's when they see the lug holes. Yeah I know, I'm so shallow...

Funny thing, the TT Sub you have was my grail watch since before I bought a real Rolex. I got a knock-off of that very model in China once, before I knew anything about Rolexes, and wore it for a year until the crown fell off... but it lit my appetite for the brand even though it took me 15 years or so to get a real one.

-Dan
"Wear the watch, don't let the watch wear you!"
dchernikoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2022, 12:45 PM   #124
Joearch
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona + GMT BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by dchernikoff View Post
I agree, I like the comfort and the better engineering of my 6-digit DJ over my 5-digit Coke. The thin metal of the clasp just seems so cheezy now. But I do still enjoy wearing it - and especially the remarks I get from AD's when they see the lug holes. Yeah I know, I'm so shallow...

Funny thing, the TT Sub you have was my grail watch since before I bought a real Rolex. I got a knock-off of that very model in China once, before I knew anything about Rolexes, and wore it for a year until the crown fell off... but it lit my appetite for the brand even though it took me 15 years or so to get a real one.

-Dan
Love “before the crown fell off”
Joearch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2022, 01:00 PM   #125
Tensai
"TRF" Member

Watch: all the good ones
I prefer 5 digits to the oversized clasps and toyish looking bezels.
But each to their own.
Tensai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2022, 01:08 PM   #126
subprimero
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060
I prefer my 5 digit Sub and GMT to the six digit references, but I prefer my 6 digit Day-Date and Daytona to the 5 digits.
subprimero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2022, 01:29 PM   #127
Lew Archer
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Submariner
I don't feel there is a difference in quality between the models as they evolve. The quality is always excellent. The difference is in the evolution of design and the use of materials. Take the ceramic bezel of the Submariner. t's just a design evolution, specifically a changing of material from aluminum to ceramic.. Both function perfectly well. Both have their fans and their detractors. Likewise the so-called maxi dial of newer subs. A design change, an aesthetic change, but not a change in overall quality. Both have their fans and their detractors. And, both function perfectly well.

A newer bracelet may feel more substantial, say because of solid end links, or the clasp design or dimensional changes, but may also be heavier on the wrist. For some, that will be a strike against it. For others, a point in favor of it.

If you no longer enjoy the five digits, that's ok...perhaps gift them or sell them...or put them away for awhile, as sometimes we take for granted that old dependable item that's been with us a long time. Putting them away for awhile leaves the opportunity to rediscover them in the future and appreciate them again for what they are...fine watches. And, they don't make those particular references anymore.
Lew Archer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2022, 08:26 PM   #128
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
Jay, I totally understand. I traded mine in towards a watch I really wanted and haven't looked back. There are a few I'd still consider owning but for the most part I'm done with five digit references. Sorry to reply to this old post; didn't realize I'd already done so over a year ago.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2022, 12:06 PM   #129
dchernikoff
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lew Archer View Post
I don't feel there is a difference in quality between the models as they evolve. The quality is always excellent. The difference is in the evolution of design and the use of materials. Take the ceramic bezel of the Submariner. t's just a design evolution, specifically a changing of material from aluminum to ceramic.. Both function perfectly well. Both have their fans and their detractors. Likewise the so-called maxi dial of newer subs. A design change, an aesthetic change, but not a change in overall quality. Both have their fans and their detractors. And, both function perfectly well.

A newer bracelet may feel more substantial, say because of solid end links, or the clasp design or dimensional changes, but may also be heavier on the wrist. For some, that will be a strike against it. For others, a point in favor of it.

If you no longer enjoy the five digits, that's ok...perhaps gift them or sell them...or put them away for awhile, as sometimes we take for granted that old dependable item that's been with us a long time. Putting them away for awhile leaves the opportunity to rediscover them in the future and appreciate them again for what they are...fine watches. And, they don't make those particular references anymore.
Good point, it's not acutally an improvement in quality - that was always there. But I think it IS an improvement in design. The calibers are more accurate and less sensitive to magnetic fields. Many of the new clasps are adjustable for "swelling of the wrist" size changes without having to get out a tool to pop out a spring bar. The ceramic bezel could be argued to be easier to read and more scratch resistant. Etc. You're right, not better quality. But a better design/user experience, in my opinion.

And that is as it should be, and should be no surprise -- I wouldn't want to buy a product from a company that always churned out the exact same models, year after year with no modifications, for 100 years...

-Dan
"Wear the watch, don't let the watch wear you!"
dchernikoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2022, 01:13 PM   #130
Roli4life
"TRF" Member

I feel you. I only miss sell one of my 5 digits ( my fist Sub)
I definitely prefer the newer models in almost every way.
Roli4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2022, 08:21 PM   #131
PalmTreeVIP
"TRF" Member

Six digits are better watches in every conceivable way. I could never go back.
PalmTreeVIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2022, 01:56 AM   #132
1665fan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchaser View Post
Beautiful piece you have.

With all the madness with the 6 digit reference, I’ve turned to my 4 digit reference.

Amen!!!!! Beauty
1665fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2022, 02:10 AM   #133
rmwill
2024 Pledge Member

Own both, wear both, love both.
Rolex Explorer II 226570 Polar
Omega Moonwatch Sapphire Sandwich
Panerai PAM00111

2 Factor Authentication
rmwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2022, 05:11 AM   #134
karleone
"TRF" Member

For Sub/SD/GMT I find the 5 digits case much more refined and perfect proportions compared to 6 digits. Bracelet is hollow links and clasp feels cheap but on the other side it’s very light and comfortable. I have a 16610 and a 16710 and they have perfect proportions and great fit on my wrist. I have a 116500 as well and I can feel the better quality and finish especially the buckle.
karleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2022, 12:14 PM   #135
donq
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610,1675,16030
The 6 digits are obviously better in many ways, but I have no use for them.

When I think about a Submariner, or a GMT, it’s not the ceramic bezeled, big block cased watches with the machined clasps I think of.

I think about Jacques Cousteau and Dizzy Gilespie and Picasso, McQueen and Jeff Bridges and those old National Geographic ads when it was a magazine and not a TV network.

That’s what I first liked about Rolex, and what I still like about them.

I don’t get that feeling from the newer ones like I do from my 4 and 5 digits.

Doesn’t mean they are better, just means I like them better.
donq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2022, 12:33 PM   #136
GGGMT
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 79010sg
Quote:
Originally Posted by mailman View Post
I love 5 digit models. Not enough to make one my go to though. I find for me and my 8” wrists and ageing eyes, 6 digit models work better for me.

I’ve become bored with them now and have been eyeing Panerai.

This has become a mainstay daily for me. Because it’s different and super comfphy

GGGMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2022, 05:10 AM   #137
daveo5
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M COSC
I’m sticking with my 5 digit 14060M. I have owned Rolex since 1964. Lot of marketing hype about the bracelets designed to sell the latest, and most profitable models. IMO.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
daveo5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2022, 08:01 AM   #138
Maiden
"TRF" Member

Owned both, love both but 5 digits for me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2250.jpg (90.1 KB, 113 views)
Omega Geneve
Tag Heuer Aquaracer WAY2112
Orient Ray 2
Maiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2022, 11:36 AM   #139
10klakes
"TRF" Member

Watch: Collector
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmwill View Post
own both, wear both, love both.

+1
10klakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2022, 11:02 PM   #140
karleone
"TRF" Member

Imho the case looks way better on 5 digits Sub/SD/GMt compared to 6 digits. Bracelet size compared to lug width goes better and the thinner crown guards are definitely more refined. Small details like lugs being V brushed (vs straight) and chamfers / bevels are very attractive on the 5 digits. I understand people preferring 6 digits finish and quality (I daily wear a 116500) but I have to admit the proportions on the 5 digits are just perfect. Finally the 5 digits bracelet have a cheap clasp but it works very well with age and the whole bracelet being hollow link is much lighter and more comfy than 6 digits.

My M serial 16610 from 09 and my K serial 16710 from 01

Old 4 February 2022, 02:09 AM   #141
Ascari_2
2024 Pledge Member

16800 on an SEL bracelet. Best of both worlds.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
Old 4 February 2022, 03:10 AM   #142
karleone
"TRF" Member

Well done!