The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 22 January 2022, 06:58 AM   #1
BNA/LION
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: ROLEX
Porsche Design Turns 50 With Special Edition Watches and Sports Cars

"This week, Porsche Design marked its 50th anniversary with the unveiling of two new models of its Chronograph 1 watch, which Porsche AG complemented with a one-of-a-kind restored 1972 911 S 2.4 Targa Classic and the new 911 Edition 50 Years Porsche Design model, limited to 750 vehicles.

Porsche and Porsche Design kicked off the anniversary year on Tuesday with the opening of a six-month exhibition, “50 Years of Porsche Design,” at the Porsche Museum in Stuttgart, Germany, where it hosted a livestream of the launches.

Professor Ferdinand Alexander Porsche, designer of the legendary 911 sports car and grandson of Porsche founder Ferdinand Porsche, founded Porsche Design Studio in 1972. His first commission was a watch to be gifted to deserving employees of the family firm, Porsche AG.

The Porsche Design Chronograph 1 took inspiration from the car’s dashboard instruments, breaking traditional watch design codes while adhering to F.A. Porsche’s form-equals-function design ethos. For a half century, Porsche Design has translated Porsche’s spirit to other lifestyle products as well..."

https://www.barrons.com/articles/por...rs-01642787378
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1.jpg (38.3 KB, 283 views)
File Type: jpg P2.jpg (26.2 KB, 283 views)
File Type: jpg P3.jpg (39.8 KB, 284 views)

✦ 28238 President DD 18K/YG ✦ 16610LN SS Sub ✦ 16613 18K/SS Serti ✦ 16550 Exp II Non-Rail Cream Dial ✦ Daytona C 116500 ✦ 126710 BLRO GMT-Master II ✦ NEXT-->?
Hole In One! 10/3/19 DMCC 5th hole, par 3, 168 yards w/ 4-Iron.
BNA/LION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2022, 12:01 AM   #2
ctzn
2024 Pledge Member

I like what they did with this one, and have a real soft spot for the original designs. Feels a touch pricey. I think Sinn used this movement (Concepto C99001 ?) as well in their 144 anniversary model for under $4k but don't think it's COSC there. Perhaps they've made other alterations?
ctzn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2022, 09:00 PM   #3
Nav01L
"TRF" Member

I’m not gonna lie, these are pretty cool, but I‘d probably rather have a vintage Orfina, can even be found in NOS condition every now and then.

Remember, the dignity you surrender at your AD‘s doorstep will never be recovered by wearing the watch he may get you.
Nav01L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2022, 06:36 AM   #4
alphadweller
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
Handsome design, but I'm bored with all black watches.
alphadweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2022, 06:47 AM   #5
bondtoys
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16750
I totally love this reedition:

50 years ago, the PD Chronograph 1 was groundbreaking!
The reduction to the max, the instrumental non-decorative design approach, the black case and bracelet, the trichromatic color code - totally revolutionary!

Unfortunately the quality of the (non-PVD) coating was bad, so most of the watches have been totally worn down or stripped which then lead to unsharp contours.

This faithful re-edition is a timemachine that takes us 50 years back. I am getting one!
bondtoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2022, 02:32 AM   #6
pasant71
"TRF" Member

I have an order placed for one, it was originally January to March shipping, now April to July. I emailed PD for clarity, I am not sure I have the patience to keep $8k tied up waiting.
pasant71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2022, 07:38 AM   #7
ctzn
2024 Pledge Member

Bumping this as I received my GP Ice Race edition today. Very impressive in hand and on wrist, and the full titanium build goes a long way in alleviating the thick case as it wears light on the wrist. The white nylon strap is neat, but way too long to be worn other than over a jacket sleeve. Overall pretty happy with this one, they nailed the look.

Anyone else snag of these?

ctzn is offline   Reply With Quote