The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!!

Old 19 January 2022, 03:16 AM   #1
guyastronomer
"TRF" Member

What if I don’t pay my Rolex bid for antiquorum

Yes, I messed up. I accidentally bidded on a Rolex about 5000 euros on the online antiquorum platform and I won. It’s my first time bidding but I’m curious what if I ignore them when I win the bid? Will I get into deep deep trouble?

I know I messed up big time, I’m wondering if I’ll get into trouble as I regretted my decision. Sounds stupid I know…
guyastronomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2022, 07:32 AM   #2
Knappo 1307
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sea Dweller
You need to honor your commitment, "mistake" or not.
Knappo 1307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2022, 07:39 AM   #3
Chris
"TRF" Member

Hmmm so uve now bought 2 watches something doesnt smell right!!!
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2022, 09:57 PM   #4
guyastronomer
"TRF" Member

Accidental bid and change of mind during Antiquorum auction after getting highest bid

Yesterday I joined the Antiquorum Monaco auction as an online bidder. However during the session the online bidding platform was having glitches and bugs, connection issues and I may have accidentally got a highest bid for a Rolex that I do not want… I should have be more careful, I am curious what should I do if I want to back out as a highest bidder?

The watch isn’t too pricey, it’s a vintage, I wonder if I should email Antiquorum and tell them I do not want the highest bid? If I do not pay, will anything happen? Please advice, I’ll definitely be careful next time. Will they file a legal claim or get me in trouble?
Old 20 January 2022, 04:31 AM   #5
southtexas
2024 Pledge Member

You should call them and talk to them. Please report back here with their response.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Follow me on Instagram @ccrolex
southtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2022, 04:40 AM   #6
shaunylw
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knappo 1307 View Post
You need to honor your commitment, "mistake" or not.

Honor your commitment . He apparently accidentally placed a bid, i would honor nothing. This isn’t a world war, it’s not that serious.

Likely this will get you booted off the site but you won’t own a watch you didn’t want.
shaunylw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2022, 04:48 AM   #7
Knappo 1307
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaunylw View Post
Honor your commitment . He apparently accidentally placed a bid, i would honor nothing. This isn’t a world war, it’s not that serious.

Likely this will get you booted off the site but you won’t own a watch you didn’t want.
Unfortunately, this is the problem with some in todays society. "Accidently" and or "Regret", as stated above contact the company and explain the situation. I'm having a hard time believing it was an accident. And if you think your word is not "that serious", you are part of the problem, You've wasted someones time, so although it may not be serious, it's irresponsible. Oh and here's some emojis
Old 20 January 2022, 04:56 AM   #8
MrGoat
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16613
Quote:
Unfortunately, this is the problem with some in todays society. "Accidently" and or "Regret", as stated above contact the company and explain the situation. I'm having a hard time it was an accident. And if you think your word is not "that serious", you are part of the problem, You've wasted someones time, so although it may not be serious, it's irresponsible. Oh and here's some emojis

I agree. My word and my character is the most valuable thing I have.

Sent from my Apple privacy invasion product
MrGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2022, 05:04 AM   #9
Knappo 1307
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGoat View Post

Sent from my Apple privacy invasion product
Agreed! It should be the most valuable thing any of us have.
Old 20 January 2022, 05:17 AM   #10
zengineer
"TRF" Member

I'm accidentally calling the idea of accidentally bidding pure nonsense.

You either bid or didn't bid.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
zengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2022, 05:17 AM   #11
shaunylw
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Unfortunately, this is the problem with some in todays society. "Accidently" and or "Regret", as stated above contact the company and explain the situation. I'm having a hard time believing it was an accident. And if you think your word is not "that serious", you are part of the problem, You've wasted someones time, so although it may not be serious, it's irresponsible. Oh and here's some emojis

If it’s not an accident, you’re exactly right. If it was indeed an accident, no chance I’m paying it nor would you. I can agree it’s hard to make a bidding mistake, typically it’s a multiple click process. But their could be platform issues, I’ve had it happen on eBay before.

You act like he committed to join the service with this my word is my bond act. They simply go to the next highest bidder and offer it up. There is a reason platforms have this built in, it’s not an uncommon occurrence. It’s annoying, but it happens.

Accident is different then regret. If it’s truly a mistake in the buyers end or the platforms end, he should not be paying. If it’s regret, that’s unfortunate. Pay the bill.
Old 20 January 2022, 05:30 AM   #12
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Entering into a legitimate auction is no different than any other "contract".

Read your obligations and expectations about the particular auction you are involved with. You do have legal obligations and recourse, as does the auction house.
Old 20 January 2022, 05:50 AM   #13
Knappo 1307
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaunylw View Post
If it’s not an accident, you’re exactly right. If it was indeed an accident, no chance I’m paying it nor would you. I can agree it’s hard to make a bidding mistake, typically it’s a multiple click process. But their could be platform issues, I’ve had it happen on eBay before.

You act like he committed to join the service with this my word is my bond act. They simply go to the next highest bidder and offer it up. There is a reason platforms have this built in, it’s not an uncommon occurrence. It’s annoying, but it happens.

Accident is different then regret. If it’s truly a mistake in the buyers end or the platforms end, he should not be paying. If it’s regret, that’s unfortunate. Pay the bill.
I see you've listed a few watches here on TRF. Using your example if a buyer and you have a back and forth, and you both agree to do a deal, then the buyer ghosts you and you never hear from them again, in your words "it's not that serious" and it's fine right? Or you both agree on a deal, and 5 minutes later someone PM's you with a higher price, since your word is "not that serious", you go with the higher price even though you committed to the other buyer, that's ok? In my opinion your word is your word, no matter how big or small the commitment. I am glad you came back and explained in better detail your side, but I have to stand with what I first posted.
Also, why in the hell is the OP even bidding on the watch if he never wanted it? I'm having a hard time with that. You bid, you won, pay the bill...
Old 20 January 2022, 06:31 AM   #14
asiparks
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the Detectives
... accidentally bid on a watch I did not want....

Accidentally? I don't for a second believe that.
WTF were you even bidding on it ? To make it more expensive for bidders that did want it? Sh&ts and giggles to feel like a big boy ?

So, no, not the end of the world, but pretty juvenile.
Old 20 January 2022, 08:01 AM   #15
afnios1
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: IWC 371503 gst.
you pay and learn your lesson.
Plus,when registering in an auction there you provide a valid cc and the top of an amount you wanna go.All the rest are just bla bla.
afnios1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2022, 08:58 AM   #16
swaini3
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1675 GMT, DRSD
Accidents do happen..... You should have called them right away and asked them to retract it. Too late now maybe. I expect a ban or a fee charged to your credit card.
swaini3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2022, 10:09 AM   #17
shaunylw
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I see you've listed a few watches here on TRF. Using your example if a buyer and you have a back and forth, and you both agree to do a deal, then the buyer ghosts you and you never hear from them again, in your words "it's not that serious" and it's fine right? Or you both agree on a deal, and 5 minutes later someone PM's you with a higher price, since your word is "not that serious", you go with the higher price even though you committed to the other buyer, that's ok? In my opinion your word is your word, no matter how big or small the commitment. I am glad you came back and explained in better detail your side, but I have to stand with what I first posted.
Also, why in the hell is the OP even bidding on the watch if he never wanted it? I'm having a hard time with that. You bid, you won, pay the bill...

You make valid points. I may be giving the OP the benefit of the doubt when we all know what likely occurred.
Old 20 January 2022, 11:14 AM   #18
47Fountain
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub & Deep sea
Quote:
Originally Posted by guyastronomer View Post
Yesterday I joined the Antiquorum Monaco auction as an online bidder. However during the session the online bidding platform was having glitches and bugs, connection issues and I may have accidentally got a highest bid for a Rolex that I do not want… I should have be more careful, I am curious what should I do if I want to back out as a highest bidder?

The watch isn’t too pricey, it’s a vintage, I wonder if I should email Antiquorum and tell them I do not want the highest bid? If I do not pay, will anything happen? Please advice, I’ll definitely be careful next time. Will they file a legal claim or get me in trouble?
You didn't "accidently" get the highest bid. You bid what you were comfortable with at that moment. Just so happens that nobody else bid higher than you. Pay the man, you just bought a watch. You don't sport a " man bun" do you?
47Fountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2022, 12:10 PM   #19
KY..
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 60s to 90s
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGoat View Post
I seem to remember a quote like this from Tony Montana/Al Pacino in Scarface…
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YEmihm6w6g
Old 20 January 2022, 12:53 PM   #20
GGGMT
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 79010sg
Quote:
Originally Posted by KY.. View Post
I seem to remember a quote like this from Tony Montana/Al Pacino in Scarface…
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YEmihm6w6g

Ah the memories. A top 3 movie of my lifetime.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
GGGMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2022, 01:12 PM   #21
Andad
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Pay for it and maintain your credibility.

Resell it down the track.

The way Rolex prices are going you can’t lose.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2022, 06:40 PM   #22
joli160
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
Quote:
Originally Posted by asiparks View Post
... accidentally bid on a watch I did not want....

Accidentally? I don't for a second believe that.
WTF were you even bidding on it ? To make it more expensive for bidders that did want it? Sh&ts and giggles to feel like a big boy ?

So, no, not the end of the world, but pretty juvenile.
This
Old 20 January 2022, 11:00 PM   #23
guyastronomer
"TRF" Member

Just an update
They successfully retract my bid and cancelled my invoice with no questions asked. Thankfully. I will not be bidding anytime soon. I agree it’s my mistake in the first place so no excuses, the main issue I had was the lag and latency issues causing the website to be slightly glitched, and the site was messy and I clicked the button just when it was at the highest bid.

It’s my first time bidding as well, I’ll definitely not do this in future. Thank you for your replies!
Old 23 January 2022, 12:50 AM   #24
Craigdwh
"TRF" Member

Watch: Breguet Type XXI
Consequences and taking responsibility for one's actions are no longer required in life.

"Where's the nearest bridge"?
Craigdwh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2022, 01:36 AM   #25
zengineer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyastronomer View Post
Just an update
They successfully retract my bid and cancelled my invoice with no questions asked. Thankfully. I will not be bidding anytime soon. I agree it’s my mistake in the first place so no excuses, the main issue I had was the lag and latency issues causing the website to be slightly glitched, and the site was messy and I clicked the button just when it was at the highest bid.

It’s my first time bidding as well, I’ll definitely not do this in future. Thank you for your replies!
So you meant to bid but didn't want to win?

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
zengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2022, 01:29 PM   #26
XtraCrispy
"TRF" Member

Watch: me closely!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigdwh View Post
Consequences and taking responsibility for one's actions are no longer required in life.
Sadly, you are correct, Sir!
Rolex Submariner TT 116613LB • Tudor 1926 41mm M91650-0005 • Tag Heuer Aquaracer WAY201B.FT6150 • Oris Artelier Date OR733-7670-4051LS • Luminox XS.3505.SC • Alpina AlpinerX AL-283LNO5NAQ6L • Steinhart GMT-OCEAN 1 BLUE RED.2 • Casio G Shock GW-5000-1JF
XtraCrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2022, 11:11 PM   #27
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Many of the most valuable lessons in life are the ones hardest learned.

If you can genuinely and credibly explain your error to the auction site, they may discharge you from your responsibility. If this is just buyer's remorse disguised as some sort of error not in your control, you have just learned something which you will profit from for the rest of your life. In time you may come out ahead.

Of course, this may only apply to people who are serious when they commit to something. It's hard to spot the fakes from the people of genuine character - until they let you down.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2022, 11:16 PM   #28
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by knappo 1307 View Post
unfortunately, this is the problem with some in todays society. "accidently" and or "regret", as stated above contact the company and explain the situation. I'm having a hard time believing it was an accident. And if you think your word is not "that serious", you are part of the problem, you've wasted someones time, so although it may not be serious, it's irresponsible. Oh and here's some emojis
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgoat View Post
i agree. My word and my character is the most valuable thing i have.

Sent from my apple privacy invasion product
100%.
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
auction , oyster perpetual , rolex