The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 27 January 2022, 11:47 PM   #2911
Berto1
"TRF" Member

Berto1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2022, 06:12 AM   #2912
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5205R
Quote:
Originally Posted by diracpoint View Post
It's matte black or "charcoal" ...
I didn’t know they made a charcoal one. They absolutely have a black one. His looks more gray or light charcoal like you said. I’ve never seen that. Of course it could just be the lighting and the camera and it very well might be a dark black. I was hoping he would chime in.

Pride goes before destruction, and haughtiness before a fall.

Often times unbelief is disguised as wisdom

Instagram - patton250
Patton250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2022, 08:33 AM   #2913
classicalthunder
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710 BLRO
this might be a dumb question, but how easy is it to acquire different OEM straps for an ALS watch? I'm contemplating the Saxonia Thin in WG, but would like to put it on a brown strap and am fond of the branded pin buckle set up that ALS has...do I just order this at the boutique?
classicalthunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2022, 09:20 AM   #2914
phiberoptiks
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton250 View Post
I didn’t know they made a charcoal one. They absolutely have a black one. His looks more gray or light charcoal like you said. I’ve never seen that. Of course it could just be the lighting and the camera and it very well might be a dark black. I was hoping he would chime in.
Yes it's just lighting. The black is black, but not like Vanta Black. That's my favorite moonphase model, mix of sporty and elegant and provides a great night time backdrop for the moon
phiberoptiks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2022, 11:03 AM   #2915
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phiberoptiks View Post
Yes it's just lighting. The black is black, but not like Vanta Black. That's my favorite moonphase model, mix of sporty and elegant and provides a great night time backdrop for the moon
Thanks man. I’m seriously considering this reference. I can’t make up my mind on the dial. My favorite is the WG with white dial and blue hands but they don’t make them anymore. My second favorite is the platinum white dial and those are all gone. So its RD with white dial or WG with black dial. I don’t “love” either one of those. I like them though.

Instagram - patton250
Old 28 January 2022, 01:10 PM   #2916
phiberoptiks
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thanks man. I’m seriously considering this reference. I can’t make up my mind on the dial. My favorite is the WG with white dial and blue hands but they don’t make them anymore. My second favorite is the platinum white dial and those are all gone. So its RD with white dial or WG with black dial. I don’t “love” either one of those. I like them though.
You should definitely love a 50k watch. Have you considered the gray market? Sometimes they come with a discount compared to a boutique.
phiberoptiks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2022, 07:42 PM   #2917
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phiberoptiks View Post
You should definitely love a 50k watch. Have you considered the gray market? Sometimes they come with a discount compared to a boutique.
When it comes to Lange grey dealers don’t sometimes come up with a discount they always do. I don’t mind paying a little bit extra at full retail to be eligible for an actual hard to get reference later. This brand is very hard to work with since they only make 5500 Watches a year.

Instagram - patton250
Old 29 January 2022, 12:25 PM   #2918
pjm1289
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicalthunder View Post
this might be a dumb question, but how easy is it to acquire different OEM straps for an ALS watch? I'm contemplating the Saxonia Thin in WG, but would like to put it on a brown strap and am fond of the branded pin buckle set up that ALS has...do I just order this at the boutique?
This is super easy to do. I recently acquired the Saxonia Outsize Date from the NYC boutique and was able to order a couple extra straps that should be arriving shortly.

Alternatively, I also got some straps from Delugs for my Omega Deville. I almost might prefer them to OEM for my Lange simply because of the quick release feature.
pjm1289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2022, 04:39 PM   #2919
CFR
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtli202 View Post
Did I miss something on Datograph prices? A prominent US dealer just listed a 1st Gen Dato in rg black dial (Dufourograph) for almost $180K.. what the hell happened?
Quote:
Originally Posted by vitalsigns View Post
I think it's an open question as to whether that dealer is spoofing prices. I don't know one way or the other, but I've compared that dealer's prices to other grey market prices and they are way out of line; and despite prices being so high, pieces are often immediately marked as "on hold", giving the sense that the price is legit. Draw your own conclusions, of course...
They are definitely pushing/testing the market, but clients often come pretty close to meeting those super high prices. Pieces often get marked "On Hold" pretty quickly to give the potential purchaser a little time to consider. The "On Hold" status often gets removed before long. I know this because I've done that a bunch of times in the past, since I know much of their inventory moves quickly. In fact -- true story -- I visited there about 11 hours ago to examine the condition of a Lange 101.032 for a fellow forum participant, but by the time I arrived, the watch had been sold to a different client!

Quote:
Brett, Lange made very few models with white dials, and I think all Langes with white dials were numbered limited editions. Do you know the reference numbers for the watches you're describing? I'm just curious if some or all of them have white dials or if any of them have silver or rhodium dials. The Historic Data tab on this spreadsheet will show you all the reference numbers.
CFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2022, 12:21 AM   #2920
vitalsigns
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFR View Post
They are definitely pushing/testing the market, but clients often come pretty close to meeting those super high prices. Pieces often get marked "On Hold" pretty quickly to give the potential purchaser a little time to consider. The "On Hold" status often gets removed before long. I know this because I've done that a bunch of times in the past, since I know much of their inventory moves quickly. In fact -- true story -- I visited there about 11 hours ago to examine the condition of a Lange 101.032 for a fellow forum participant, but by the time I arrived, the watch had been sold to a different client
Really hard to tell as there's no transparency into the final sale. I'm sure you're right in many instances that prices reflect actual transactions, but we can't know which ones.

Consider this simple scenario:

--a dealer has a VIP list and circulates new arrivals to that list first.
--a VIP buyer selects a new arrival and puts the piece on hold at an agreed price.
--the dealer lists the piece at whatever crazy price the dealer wants to set, and marks the piece "On Hold".
--the buyer purchases the watch.
--the watch disappears from the site.
--an inference is drawn that the watch sold for the price listed, but we can't know that.
--if done intentionally, and the price listed is materially higher than the price at which the watch was sold, this is tantamount to spoofing prices IMO.

We don't really have any transparency here, so it's hard or near impossible to know what's going on with listed prices vs. actual sale prices.
vitalsigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2022, 12:51 PM   #2921
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
They are definitely pushing/testing the market, but clients often come pretty close to meeting those super high prices. Pieces often get marked "On Hold" pretty quickly to give the potential purchaser a little time to consider. The "On Hold" status often gets removed before long. I know this because I've done that a bunch of times in the past, since I know much of their inventory moves quickly. In fact -- true story -- I visited there about 11 hours ago to examine the condition of a Lange 101.032 for a fellow forum participant, but by the time I arrived, the watch had been sold to a different client!

Brett, Lange made very few models with white dials, and I think all Langes with white dials were numbered limited editions. Do you know the reference numbers for the watches you're describing? I'm just curious if some or all of them have white dials or if any of them have silver or rhodium dials. The Historic Data tab on this spreadsheet will show you all the reference numbers.
Sure. here they are.

https://www.alange-soehne.com/en/tim...nge1-moonphase

However with all the BS dealing with the boutique, even know the Director was very nice I decided to go with this VC instead. I should have it Tuesday.

https://www.vacheron-constantin.com/...000g-b740.html

Instagram - patton250
Old 30 January 2022, 01:07 PM   #2922
thekman
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610LV
Quote:

Funny enough I believe the Lange 1 you went to check out is the one I have on my wrist right now. Just bought it from EWC yesterday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Follow me www.instagram.com/subs.n.scrubs
thekman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2022, 03:43 PM   #2923
pdnb
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5726, 5212
Quote:
Originally Posted by vitalsigns View Post
Really hard to tell as there's no transparency into the final sale. I'm sure you're right in many instances that prices reflect actual transactions, but we can't know which ones.

Consider this simple scenario:

--a dealer has a VIP list and circulates new arrivals to that list first.
--a VIP buyer selects a new arrival and puts the piece on hold at an agreed price.
--the dealer lists the piece at whatever crazy price the dealer wants to set, and marks the piece "On Hold".
--the buyer purchases the watch.
--the watch disappears from the site.
--an inference is drawn that the watch sold for the price listed, but we can't know that.
--if done intentionally, and the price listed is materially higher than the price at which the watch was sold, this is tantamount to spoofing prices IMO.

We don't really have any transparency here, so it's hard or near impossible to know what's going on with listed prices vs. actual sale prices.

This….. We will never know for sure… but 100% EWC labels a watch as sold; just to see it re-listed again in the incoming section of the watch app; typically with a new reduced price

pdnb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2022, 07:20 PM   #2924
mario1971
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, ALS
Half a year has passed since he returned from the service after adjustments and still impresses me with the precision of his gait. + 1.9s / day with manual tension is a very good result for me.
Old 3 February 2022, 12:07 AM   #2925
EndlessEight
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Hulk, BLRO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berto1 View Post

Absolutely stunning.
EndlessEight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2022, 04:18 AM   #2926
JSol1
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

FYI, Teddy Baldesare has a great YT on the Datograph and Lange in general…posted a couple of days ago…stunning macros of this piece…
JSol1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2022, 04:24 AM   #2927
classicalthunder
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710 BLRO
Sorry if this is a common question in this thread - Is a 20% discount at an AD still a possibility these days? not for anything on the super high end, but more along the lines of a standard 1815 or Saxonia.
classicalthunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2022, 07:57 AM   #2928
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Sorry if this is a common question in this thread - Is a 20% discount at an AD still a possibility these days? not for anything on the super high end, but more along the lines of a standard 1815 or Saxonia.

I would be surprised. Last few ADs I went to didn’t have much in the case. Was looking at the only 1815 they had and no discount.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
JR16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2022, 02:44 PM   #2929
CFR
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
However with all the BS dealing with the boutique, even know the Director was very nice I decided to go with this VC instead. I should have it Tuesday.
Sorry the Lange boutique experience didn't work out, but congrats on the VC purchase! I hope you love it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekman View Post
Funny enough I believe the Lange 1 you went to check out is the one I have on my wrist right now. Just bought it from EWC yesterday.
Oh, congratulations! Yes, if you pulled the trigger last Friday afternoon, that'd be the watch! If you decide to sell it anytime soon, feel free to PM me and I'll pass your info along to the guy who contacted me to inspect it.
CFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2022, 04:03 PM   #2930
anselm
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Sure. here they are.

Sorry to hear the bad experience. The L1 Moonphase you have here is part of the 25th L1 anniversary set. I have the L1 Hunter back and my wife has the LL1 version. They have been sold out for quite a while but Lange doesn't update their site to let you know that is the case. Similar to the blue dial L1 have been sold out for a while.

Even for long time buyers, supply has been an issue. Glad you found a VC piece that you really like as well. There are so many watch brands and models out there, no need to get frustrated over any brand. I am sure there are many patek, rolex, ap, frustrated buyers out there that the transparency on how to get a piece is even worse than Lange...
anselm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2022, 04:04 PM   #2931
anselm
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Any in demand Lange most likely will not be sold at any material discount anymore. There just isn't enough supply in the network for them to have to discount.
Old 3 February 2022, 04:05 PM   #2932
anselm
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berto1 View Post

Beautiful 1815 Chrono. I have the same one, the recent preowned asking prices have started to get a bit crazy....
Old 3 February 2022, 10:53 PM   #2933
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Sure. here they are.

I haven't seen this VC before. You did well
Old 4 February 2022, 04:04 AM   #2934
amateurcollector
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anselm View Post
Any in demand Lange most likely will not be sold at any material discount anymore. There just isn't enough supply in the network for them to have to discount.
is it me or have Lange 1 prices doubled in the past year on the secondary market?
amateurcollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2022, 05:56 AM   #2935
jtli202
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amateurcollector View Post
is it me or have Lange 1 prices doubled in the past year on the secondary market?
im not sure if they have doubled, but they are def up quite a bit. its all relative of course... still a bargain compared to what rolexes, sports APs and Pateks, even VCs now are going for.
jtli202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2022, 04:49 PM   #2936
PBJ1925
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 326934

Finally can post my very first Grand Lange!

PBJ1925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2022, 09:52 PM   #2937
mario1971
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, ALS
Quote:
Originally Posted by poweredbyjae View Post

Very nice. Congrats!
Old 5 February 2022, 12:12 AM   #2938
lutchki
Banned

Nice
lutchki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2022, 04:20 AM   #2939
KaVo8
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes, Please!

Happy Friday to all

Old 5 February 2022, 04:20 AM   #2940
KaVo8
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes, Please!
Quote:
Originally Posted by poweredbyjae View Post

Beautiful