The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 18 January 2022, 10:32 AM   #1
ravenhome777
"TRF" Member

Watch superstition

Have you ever purchased a vintage/antique watch and felt negative vibes from it?

I purchased an old watch from the 1940s, and I won't wear it because it gives me weird vibes. Could the energy of the person who owned it before me still be attached to a watch? This was a watch from the WWII era. It could have been owned by a Nazi or someone who was killed in the war. Or maybe a person wore it while they were battling cancer. I wonder if the aura of the person who owned the watch before you can be attached to it?

Probably nonsense, but sometimes I wonder.
ravenhome777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2022, 01:28 PM   #2
T4ME
"TRF" Member

No I never felt negative vibes. I brought a watch from the pawn shop and was telling an older male coworker about my find, he suggested that I put the watch thru some sort of cleansing process to get rid of the former owner's energy...I was like yeah ok... having no idea how to even do this process, eventually the watch broke but luckily it was within the warranty period and at that point I chose to take the refund. This being said what about the flippers and the whole secondhand market?..... BUT........ The Hope diamond curse story is in some ways a morality fable about the cardinal sin of greed. The original thief, according to legend, died a slow and painful death, while the later owners, oblivious to the curse until it was too late, suffered as well........

Probably nonsense, but sometimes I wonder.
T4ME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2022, 01:37 PM   #3
Booth9999
"TRF" Member

Tell us more of the story and perhaps a picture of the watch?
Booth9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2022, 02:53 PM   #4
ravenhome777
"TRF" Member

Well, it's not a Rolex. It's a Helvetia. I had a thing for Helvetia watches for awhile. Partially because I like Switzerland. I collected them for awhile. I decided to try wearing a square gold watch, because I was eyeing Cartier Tanks. I wasn't sure if I could pull off a gold or a square watch. So I figured I'd pick up a square gold Helvetia watch to try it out and see if I liked it before I pulled the trigger on a Cartier.

So I picked one up on Ebay. I kind of liked it. It was different. It wasn't really me, per-se, but I kind of liked it anyway. It had solid bars so I had to hand sew a red alligator strap onto it. I also bought a solid gold clasp that I had to wait 6 months for. That's another story, in, and of, itself. I even got it serviced.

Well, on the way to dropping it off to get it serviced, I stopped by my best friend's house because he lived in the same town that my watch maker lived in. So I stopped by and dropped off a pirate magazine for my friend, because he was really into pirates. (BTW, this story is a little depressing, just as a heads up.) So I dropped off the pirate magazine on his truck.

As I was walking away, he opened the window and said, "Hey man, what are you doing?" So he went on to tell me that he was sick and he thought he had COVID. So he wouldn't come down to talk to me because he didn't want to give it to me. So we chit-chatted through the open window for a little while. He mentioned that his wife was in Mexico with the kids. I thought that was a little odd that he didn't go with them. I was going to ask more details but I didn't want to be nosy. So after 15 minutes, I left. That was the last time I spoke to him.

When his wife got home from Mexico, I received a call from her and she said he was dead. I was totally shocked. He sounded perfectly fine to me, except for the sniffles. I asked her how he died, and she said he shot himself in the woods. I didn't really believe the story because he texted me the morning before the incident went down and was chit chatting about normal stuff we always talked about. Nothing depressing or worrisome. He texted something about wanting to go camping and changing the oil in his truck. I texted back. He texted back again. He was totally normal.

So, in any case, the official story is that he offed himself, but I don't believe. A lot of other people don't believe the official narrative either. But there's not much I can do about it. I'm not Colombo.

So, then the watch maker called me up, and said it's time to pick up the watch. So I had to drive the same route as I did the last time I spoke to my friend. I picked up the watch. Put it on. But I looked at the watch differently. I started to wonder if it could have caused this bad luck. I got kind of a weird vibe from it. I felt like it didn't want to be worn, but it also didn't want me to sell it. It was strange. It seemed to be saying to me that I should just leave it alone and one day it would help me. Really quacko stuff. I know. So, in any case, I just leave that watch alone. It seems to have a grumpy personality.

I wonder what it has gone through in its life. It's from the 1940s in Switzerland. Could it have been owned by a Nazi? Could it have been to a concentration camp? Who knows.

Do I have an over-active imagination? Probably. Am I nuts? Probably.

But the watch and I seem to have come to an understanding. It stays in my drawer. I don't touch it. And some day it will help me. Not sure how. But that's the deal.

Haha. I'm certifiable.
Old 18 January 2022, 03:11 PM   #5
rmagoo57
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT II/Sub/Exp II
Holy Toledo!!
rmagoo57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2022, 03:15 PM   #6
zapokee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenhome777 View Post
I'm certifiable.
We're probably all certifiable, by nature of being into vintage Rolex. Great story - sorry for your loss.

I've had negative vibes from a watch, but only because of a bad small-time dealer. He was great before I wired the payment, but once he'd received the money he was unresponsive for about a week and unpleasant/agressive in his eventual replies.

The watch eventually arrived, and he was also very unpleasant when I posted an online review of the buying experience.

I ended up selling the watch shortly after it arrived. Terrible vibes. The buying experience really affects enjoyment of a watch for me.
zapokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2022, 03:41 PM   #7
ravenhome777
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zapokee View Post
We're probably all certifiable, by nature of being into vintage Rolex. Great story - sorry for your loss.

I've had negative vibes from a watch, but only because of a bad small-time dealer. He was great before I wired the payment, but once he'd received the money he was unresponsive for about a week and unpleasant/agressive in his eventual replies.

The watch eventually arrived, and he was also very unpleasant when I posted an online review of the buying experience.

I ended up selling the watch shortly after it arrived. Terrible vibes. The buying experience really affects enjoyment of a watch for me.
Yes, a bad buying experience is definitely a way to take the wind out of your sails.
Old 27 January 2022, 08:30 AM   #8
motoikkyu
2024 Pledge Member

I have most assuredly had cursed watches, currently an IWC that eats mainsprings. My watchmakers and I have been working together for decades, this blasted thing isn't playing fair.

As for the human aspect, if you've ever toured a derelict hospital or asylum (I have) there are absolutely noticeable vibrations on those sites. Near me, a former medical center has been turned into condos. It's always cold there, and the residents report apparitions. In the years that it was in use, I'm sure tens of thousands died on that site, of natural and unnatural causes.

Think of how humankind has discovered the various spectra: visible light, then ultraviolet and infrared. Just because we don't have a machine to measure a given quality doesn't mean it doesn't exist. The human life force is not currently under scientific investigation, they leave that to the spiritual sector.
Old 27 January 2022, 08:33 AM   #9
shaunylw
"TRF" Member

James dean had the Porsche 550 that certainly seemed haunted. I believe it could happen to watches!
shaunylw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2022, 01:30 PM   #10
iclick
"TRF" Member

A well-known CW21 in FL once told me his mother can't wear any mechanical watch, as they stop soon after she starts wearing them. He swears it is some body vibe his mother has that freaks mechanical watches, and she isn't alone. I find this and other superstitions (walking under ladders, black cats crossing our path, etc.) are hard for me to swallow without objective evidence to support them.
iclick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2022, 03:19 PM   #11
MrGoat
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16613
Very interesting thread OP. My condolences for your buddy.

I have never had a haunted watch that I know of, or anything for that matter and I collect all sorts of interesting old things. That doesn’t mean I don’t believe a watch or other item could have vibes or a “personality” though, good or bad.

My life and faith experience has shown me there are absolutely angels among us. I know they’re not the same as spirits but that would lead me to believe there is potential for lots of stuff out there our eyes can’t see.

Sent from my Apple privacy invasion product
MrGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2022, 03:40 PM   #12
henrylee
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN Ceramic
I bought an Apple Watch once from someone who went bankrupt. I had bad luck when wearing the watch. I sold the watch very quickly. Now I prefer buying new watches from the AD.
Old 27 January 2022, 10:18 PM   #13
77T

Quote:

1. So I picked one up on Ebay.

2. So, in any case, the official story is that he offed himself, but I don't believe.

3. So I had to drive the same route as I did the last time I spoke to my friend.

4. I started to wonder if it could have caused this bad luck.

5. I wonder what it has gone through in its life. It's from the 1940s in Switzerland.

6. Haha. I'm certifiable.

Here’s my individual idiosyncratic input to the above snippets…

1. That right there is the likely source of negative energy.

2. The officials are right.

3. You should have chosen the “path less traveled-by”.

4. Not bad luck. Your friend made a choice, and while not ours, he is no longer aching. I say this compassionately - trust me on that.

5. It led a perfect life, no drama, no Nazi’s, no negative aura. It was sold to help fund a charitable organization that helps the less fortunate.

6. No more so than when we ascribe ethereal form or attributes to a material object.

Hope this helps…and, no, I did not stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night. Just flew around in my…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2022, 10:25 PM   #14
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Personally speaking, once an idea gets into my head, it’s unlikely to go away. I’d get rid of it
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2022, 11:48 PM   #15
aczaja10
"TRF" Member

Sorry for your loss. That sounds horrible. If your friend was suffering, I feel so sorry for him as I know how difficult depression and anxiety can be.

As crazy as it may seem, I believe in the sort of thing you are describing. This is why I don’t like the idea of buying used watches from an individual person. I feel like why did he want to sell? Must have been something bad, or he really needs the money or maybe I’ll get bad luck if I buy it just like he had. But, I don’t get that same feeling from a dealer. I feel the guy who went to the dealer traded up. Sounds silly too, but thats my way of looking at it.
aczaja10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2022, 02:43 AM   #16
southtexas

Watch superstition

Quote:
Well, it's not a Rolex. It's a Helvetia. I had a thing for Helvetia watches for awhile. Partially because I like Switzerland. I collected them for awhile. I decided to try wearing a square gold watch, because I was eyeing Cartier Tanks. I wasn't sure if I could pull off a gold or a square watch. So I figured I'd pick up a square gold Helvetia watch to try it out and see if I liked it before I pulled the trigger on a Cartier.

So I picked one up on Ebay. I kind of liked it. It was different. It wasn't really me, per-se, but I kind of liked it anyway. It had solid bars so I had to hand sew a red alligator strap onto it. I also bought a solid gold clasp that I had to wait 6 months for. That's another story, in, and of, itself. I even got it serviced.

Well, on the way to dropping it off to get it serviced, I stopped by my best friend's house because he lived in the same town that my watch maker lived in. So I stopped by and dropped off a pirate magazine for my friend, because he was really into pirates. (BTW, this story is a little depressing, just as a heads up.) So I dropped off the pirate magazine on his truck.

As I was walking away, he opened the window and said, "Hey man, what are you doing?" So he went on to tell me that he was sick and he thought he had COVID. So he wouldn't come down to talk to me because he didn't want to give it to me. So we chit-chatted through the open window for a little while. He mentioned that his wife was in Mexico with the kids. I thought that was a little odd that he didn't go with them. I was going to ask more details but I didn't want to be nosy. So after 15 minutes, I left. That was the last time I spoke to him.

When his wife got home from Mexico, I received a call from her and she said he was dead. I was totally shocked. He sounded perfectly fine to me, except for the sniffles. I asked her how he died, and she said he shot himself in the woods. I didn't really believe the story because he texted me the morning before the incident went down and was chit chatting about normal stuff we always talked about. Nothing depressing or worrisome. He texted something about wanting to go camping and changing the oil in his truck. I texted back. He texted back again. He was totally normal.

So, in any case, the official story is that he offed himself, but I don't believe. A lot of other people don't believe the official narrative either. But there's not much I can do about it. I'm not Colombo.

So, then the watch maker called me up, and said it's time to pick up the watch. So I had to drive the same route as I did the last time I spoke to my friend. I picked up the watch. Put it on. But I looked at the watch differently. I started to wonder if it could have caused this bad luck. I got kind of a weird vibe from it. I felt like it didn't want to be worn, but it also didn't want me to sell it. It was strange. It seemed to be saying to me that I should just leave it alone and one day it would help me. Really quacko stuff. I know. So, in any case, I just leave that watch alone. It seems to have a grumpy personality.

I wonder what it has gone through in its life. It's from the 1940s in Switzerland. Could it have been owned by a Nazi? Could it have been to a concentration camp? Who knows.

Do I have an over-active imagination? Probably. Am I nuts? Probably.

But the watch and I seem to have come to an understanding. It stays in my drawer. I don't touch it. And some day it will help me. Not sure how. But that's the deal.

Haha. I'm certifiable.

I’m sorry for the loss of your friend. I just got over a very minor case of COVID a few weeks ago. The worst symptoms were foggy brain and extreme/acute depression (which only last a day or so, but I can’t remember ever feeling so low). Not sure why it occurred; I don’t usually have those feelings. I’m fully recovered, and that short period is just like a foggy, memory now.

I only share this to remind everyone to keep an eye out on your loved ones these days.

Follow me on Instagram @ccrolex
southtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2022, 01:32 PM   #17
Jackie Daytona

Watch: 16750
Sorry to hear your story you had posted ravenhome, that’s a terrible thing to have happen my condolences for the loss of your friend.

As to watch superstitions. I believe there is something to that.

I honestly don’t believe my Milgauss is bad luck. I bought it new, but oddly enough when I went to buy it my SA took forever to get to us, and my wife had some chest pains while waiting, so I told the SA we would come back later and took my wife to the hospital.

I wear it in rotation, but oddly enough every time either me or anyone in my family has to go to the doctors office of any sort it just happens to be the Milgausses day in rotation. Not sure how that works out or if it’s bad luck necessarily, but just something I’ve noticed and under the circumstances I bought it it’s really odd.