The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 7 July 2021, 06:08 AM   #1
steeevvvooo
"TRF" Member

Feel like a I need a Hublot...

Bear with me here...

I've been into watches for about 10 years and have been through most brands. Currently left with Rolex, AP, Omega, Vacheron, Grand Seiko.

I have never owned a Hublot. Despite the anti WIS sentiment, I feel like I should try one at some point.

Where should I start? If this was Rolex, the answer is probably Sub, or Day Date in the configuration of your choice. Hublot has the big bang, classic fusion, but other than that I find myself lost and liking singular watches for the materialas, colours etc rather than a specific line. I would buy preowned, so not bothered about initial depreciation, but if I decide in 6 months I don't like the brand/image or whatever I would prefer to not take a bath.

Part of me really doesn't want one for the negative perception that so many watch people have (myself included until recently), but at the same time I appreciate the use of materials and colours/bold designs. I know... "Buy what you like", but I am on some levels conscious that brands have a certain public perception, and Hublot for whatever reason is a marmite brand in horology. :)
Old 7 July 2021, 10:30 AM   #2
ReturningSon
"TRF" Member

Watch: ALS, Rolex, Seiko
If you see watches on rubber straps...thank Hublot. I think that says a fair amount; they have a fun and interesting history with horological pedigree. Ive seen interesting looking pieces like the King Power Oceanographic (one of the craziest divers out in existence that you will never see on another's wrist in the wild) Big Bang Alarm repeater, UNICOS and all sorts of stuff. Pickup preowned so the depreciation works for you and you could enjoy some higher end complications that you rarely see. Sizing has always been an issue for me, most of their cases are large and thick but the styling/design is indeed something different and worth pursuing if you have grown tired of the usual suspects.
Old 7 July 2021, 12:02 PM   #3
Pw92676
"TRF" Member

Agree largely with both posts above. Get what you like, go preowned if possible, enjoy and share pics :)
Pw92676 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2021, 06:11 PM   #4
MrJKLFoams
"TRF" Member

Watch: RolexOmegaJLC
Your not alone. I'm really tempted to get a hublot meca 10 black ceramic what's off is the size its just too big for my wrist. I owned rolex, omega and JLC, to me adding something out of the box in terms of design from what I have. I used my dblue 126660 for a week and came back to WOS to try and see the meca 10 again but its just too big. But if you have the wrist then go for it. Maybe start with hublot big bang they have 42mm and 45mm version.

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk
MrJKLFoams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2021, 11:00 PM   #5
Nav01L
"TRF" Member

Is that one of the side effects of the Corona Vaccine?

Remember, the dignity you surrender at your AD‘s doorstep will never be recovered by wearing the watch he may get you.
Nav01L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2021, 11:34 PM   #6
_speedmaster_
"TRF" Member

Although they are not my style, I honestly never got the hate. Hublot innovate with movements and materials. As the poster above said, the WIS community have them to thank for upscale rubber strap watches. Hublot have also pioneered the use of ceramic on watches as well. Are they loud and in your face? Yes. But so are Richard Mille watches and yellow gold Rolex GMTs; watches some people would sell their children to get. Buy what you love and don't listen to the fickle, band-wagon people that buy based on popularity.

instagram.com/ct_watch_guy
_speedmaster_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2021, 11:36 PM   #7
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5205R
Quote:
Originally Posted by _speedmaster_ View Post
Although they are not my style, I honestly never got the hate. Hublot innovate with movements and materials. As the poster above said, the WIS community have them to thank for upscale rubber strap watches. Hublot have also pioneered the use of ceramic on watches as well. Are they loud and in your face? Yes. But so are Richard Mille watches and yellow gold Rolex GMTs; watches some people would sell their children to get. Buy what you love and don't listen to the fickle, band-wagon people that buy based on popularity.
Extremely well put. I agree with everything you wrote.

Pride goes before destruction, and haughtiness before a fall.

Often times unbelief is disguised as wisdom

Instagram - patton250
Patton250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2021, 05:55 AM   #8
zesty55
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710LN
Don't overlook the older ones!

Sent from my SM-F916U1 using Tapatalk
zesty55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2021, 07:18 AM   #9
Longhorn
"TRF" Member

Watch: HULK SMASH
I personally like the Hublot classic fusion chronograph in red gold.
Longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2021, 11:27 AM   #10
vman
"TRF" Member

Watch: less TV
Nothing wrong with right Hubolt models. Ultra-thin Skeleton line with in-house 90hr movement is nothing to sneeze at.
Old 8 July 2021, 10:35 PM   #11
smg8
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeevvvooo View Post
Bear with me here...

I've been into watches for about 10 years and have been through most brands. Currently left with Rolex, AP, Omega, Vacheron, Grand Seiko.

I have never owned a Hublot. Despite the anti WIS sentiment, I feel like I should try one at some point.

Where should I start? If this was Rolex, the answer is probably Sub, or Day Date in the configuration of your choice. Hublot has the big bang, classic fusion, but other than that I find myself lost and liking singular watches for the materialas, colours etc rather than a specific line. I would buy preowned, so not bothered about initial depreciation, but if I decide in 6 months I don't like the brand/image or whatever I would prefer to not take a bath.

Part of me really doesn't want one for the negative perception that so many watch people have (myself included until recently), but at the same time I appreciate the use of materials and colours/bold designs. I know... "Buy what you like", but I am on some levels conscious that brands have a certain public perception, and Hublot for whatever reason is a marmite brand in horology. :)
I too had been conditioned to dislike Hublot for absolutely no apparent reason. Until I tried one on.....and loved it straight away. I've owned many Rolexes, a couple of AP's, an Aquanaut etc but honestly so so pleased with my Ceramic Classic Fusion. It strikes me as the epitome of Hublot - rubber strap, which they pioneered, ceramic (which they are known for) and very cool luxury.

Pic of mine below, I think I will add the titanium classic fusion 3 hander on leather as a "dressier" option next;

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG][/QUOTE]
smg8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2021, 08:21 AM   #12
youthagainsttt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Piaget,Rolex,AP,HB
I think their movements are underrated, you don't make in-house minute repeaters, tourbillons and 30 day power reserve & not be one of the members of the top bracket for fine watchmaking. I've got an Black Magic Aerofusion, a skeletonised ceramic Chrono which flies under the radar but also has the wow factor with the exposed movement/jewels on the dial
youthagainsttt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2022, 02:56 PM   #13
justin.meridabikes
"TRF" Member

The majority of the people who hate on Hublot cannot afford one. These are usually the people who are looking at a first watch and desperately need value retention from retail price and have limited knowledge on how the watch market really works.

You get treated like a human being in Hublot stores, get a discount and get a great looking watch. Value retention is strong for Hublot at market prices, way above most other watch brands. Look at omega for example, incredibly lousy resale values for most of their watches with a "history"
justin.meridabikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2022, 11:49 PM   #14
walds11
"TRF" Member

I’ve always been a fan of Hublot and their strength in design and materials execution.

What’s everyone think of the Big Bang Integral Ceramic? The blue and white ones are very striking.

https://www.ablogtowatch.com/hublot-...-watches-2021/
Old 28 January 2022, 08:13 AM   #15
boogiebot
"TRF" Member

Watch: me post!
Quote:
Originally Posted by justin.meridabikes View Post
The majority of the people who hate on Hublot cannot afford one. These are usually the people who are looking at a first watch and desperately need value retention from retail price and have limited knowledge on how the watch market really works.

You get treated like a human being in Hublot stores, get a discount and get a great looking watch. Value retention is strong for Hublot at market prices, way above most other watch brands. Look at omega for example, incredibly lousy resale values for most of their watches with a "history"

You may be right on this. Personally I have no issues with Hublot or any other brand. I think they make some great pieces.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
boogiebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2022, 12:54 AM   #16
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
I am a big AP fan but I did own an Ice Bang for a time, it was a very cool piece but it did lack the substance of an AP, and thus I never liked their similar pricing, but at a 30% discount they were a decent buy.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2022, 06:29 AM   #17
jenniferjanef
"TRF" Member

My personal Hublot journey started from this piece few years ago 2018.. love the brand ever since..

I bought two more sapphire crystal pieces in 2020 but due to lock down they are currently not with me.

Big Bang MP-11 Saxem
Big Bang Yellow Sapphire 42mm

I too own many pieces from all the hot brands and trinity tiers.. honestly.. I think Hublot is serious nothing short in comparison. They are innovative and fun pieces to wear and they are robust. Touch wood I have not have any issues with all my Hublot.

I would rate the fun factors as high as wearing wearing big independents such as MB&F and URWERK and RMs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
jenniferjanef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2022, 05:56 AM   #18
steeevvvooo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenniferjanef View Post
... I think Hublot is serious nothing short in comparison. They are innovative and fun pieces to wear and they are robust....
Great Post. This is what draws me to them. They seem to have a bit of playfulness about them, there is LOTS of variety in the catalogue and they have a reputation for pushing boundaries. Perhaps some poor marketing decisions of past have hurt the brand today... Watch makers in the early 2020s take note!!!

Something fun and ceramic may be a good place to start for me

Sent from my SM-G780G using Tapatalk