The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 17 January 2022, 06:00 AM   #1
southtone
"TRF" Member

16600 Bezel Question

Hey all, new here but find this place to be incredibly informative. I love learning about references and nuanced differences. With that being said, I picked up my first Rolex just a short while ago and wanted to know about the bezel. I assume it is a service bezel since it has green lume and the tritium on the rest of the dial is dead. Could one of you kind folks tell me the ~timeframe of the bezel and if it looks to be genuine Rolex? Watch is E serial.

Also, do any of you know a good source to get an original tritium insert to match the dial? Just trying to learn as much as I can. Thanks in advance!

Last edited by southtone; 17 January 2022 at 06:14 AM.. Reason: Added pic attempt #2
southtone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2022, 06:24 AM   #2
southtone
"TRF" Member

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 17 January 2022, 06:47 AM   #3
214270Explorer
"TRF" Member

Watch: me buy Watches
Your crystal edge appears to have the crap chipped out of it.
Likely the bezel/insert were damaged too and were replaced.

Rolex "some"
Tudor "some"
Damasko "some"
Misc Pieces "some"
Marathon "some"
GS Spring Drive "some"
Hamilton "some"
Findeisen "some"
214270Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2022, 07:01 AM   #4
freefly
"TRF" Member

Watch: 4&5-digit Sub/GMTs
Quote:
Originally Posted by southtone View Post
I assume it is a service bezel since it has green lume and the tritium on the rest of the dial is dead.
You assume right.

It is genuine, but a service insert. If you are looking to source a more period-correct insert, you might check the classifieds section here and other forums, eBay, etc.
You can put up a couple WTB posts across the popular forums, but just be aware that they attract scammers like nothing else.
Some of the larger/established used dealers have a decent stock-pile of parts as well.

Also, the SD insert size is unique. So be sure to confirm that any you are considering are specifically 16660/16600 inserts.
freefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2022, 07:05 AM   #5
southtone
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 214270Explorer View Post
Your crystal edge appears to have the crap chipped out of it.
Likely the bezel/insert were damaged too and were replaced.

Thanks, yeah the crystal definitely has a couple of chips around the edges. The pic/lighting exaggerate the chips a bit, but they are obviously there and that makes perfect sense as to the reason the bezel was swapped.

Honestly, I will probably leave it all as-is for the time being to include the crystal. This was purchased to be my daily and I’m not very gentle on watches. I was just more curious what it would take to make it more time period correct for future reference.

Old 17 January 2022, 07:11 AM   #6
southtone
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by freefly View Post
You assume right.

It is genuine, but a service insert. If you are looking to source a more period-correct insert, you might check the classifieds section here and other forums, eBay, etc.
You can put up a couple WTB posts across the popular forums, but just be aware that they attract scammers like nothing else.
Some of the larger/established used dealers have a decent stock-pile of parts as well.

Also, the SD insert size is unique. So be sure to confirm that any you are considering are specifically 16660/16600 inserts.

Awesome! Thank you and much appreciated! Good to know it’s at least genuine. I looked at dozens of pics and feel like my eyes were failing me on matching the bezel to a later 16600.

Just for my own learning here…does anything else appear to be service replacement? The bracelet appears to be all original given the stamp/code matching the year of the serial, albeit polished a good bit. I felt like this would be a decent watch to dip my toes in for pseudo-vintage and also to wear the heck out of.

And while I’m asking questions, if I were to send to RSC, would they insist on replacing the crystal or any other piece of the watch head? Thanks again for humoring my newb questions.

Old 17 January 2022, 07:46 AM   #7
swaini3
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1675 GMT, DRSD
They will probably insist on the crystal change. Im guessing the hands and crown too unless you insist on keeping them. It really depends on which RSC, some are more flexible than others.
swaini3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2022, 01:38 AM   #8
southtone
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swaini3 View Post
They will probably insist on the crystal change. Im guessing the hands and crown too unless you insist on keeping them. It really depends on which RSC, some are more flexible than others.

Good deal. Thanks!