The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 21 January 2022, 06:46 AM   #61
Mini2
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeraldGentaFan View Post
Maybe a new dial colour? Blue?
Yellow gold green dial
Mini2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2022, 06:49 AM   #62
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

I'm so tired of Blue.
GreenLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2022, 07:20 AM   #63
francoamerican
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scurfa View Post
If you go on resale prices I agree the 5230 is a flop but I love the history and the watch so secured one in December, I’m now glad I did, the watch is for my 50th and I turned down the 5164r and Daytona oyterflex meteorite to make way for it, buy what you love and my own collection reflects that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fair points. I prefer dress watches too.

Likely what I want wouldn’t be liked by others as much as well.
francoamerican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2022, 07:33 AM   #64
francoamerican
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
Resale prices don't dictate if a watch is a flop anymore.

Resale prices are *now* dictated by speculative investors, not watch collectors.
Positive Hodinkee reviews have pretty apparent correlation to market prices; I suppose it depends on what you think of their integrity as “watch collectors” . I generally like their taste, even though I think they do shill, it’s not difficult to discern what they really like.
Old 21 January 2022, 09:41 AM   #65
QuelleHeureEstIl
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by francoamerican View Post
Positive Hodinkee reviews have pretty apparent correlation to market prices; I suppose it depends on what you think of their integrity as “watch collectors” . I generally like their taste, even though I think they do shill, it’s not difficult to discern what they really like.
As a reminder:

- Hodinkee raised a lot of money... Check the names of the investors... So many conflicts of interest... No wonder why they push some brands/people...
- Watchfinder. Bought by Richemont. So they actively push ALS as being the top brand on the planet (on youtube). And they make money with their competitors watches (mainly rolex in the shops).
- Watchbox: recently bought the majority of Debethune (but failed buying Laurent Ferrier)...

These companies have so many connections and purchasing power that they can heavily influence the grey market prices, the units available on the grey market and even the allocations of new models (as now some groups/brands push for verticalization to capture the whole margin)...

This is not healthy...
QuelleHeureEstIl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2022, 10:24 AM   #66
uniqueMR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: P A T E K
2O22 will be awesome year, Patek :)
Old 21 January 2022, 10:25 AM   #67
francoamerican
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuelleHeureEstIl View Post
As a reminder:

- Hodinkee raised a lot of money... Check the names of the investors... So many conflicts of interest... No wonder why they push some brands/people...
- Watchfinder. Bought by Richemont. So they actively push ALS as being the top brand on the planet (on youtube). And they make money with their competitors watches (mainly rolex in the shops).
- Watchbox: recently bought the majority of Debethune (but failed buying Laurent Ferrier)...

These companies have so many connections and purchasing power that they can heavily influence the grey market prices, the units available on the grey market and even the allocations of new models (as now some groups/brands push for verticalization to capture the whole margin)...

This is not healthy...
Agree about the conflict of interest. But I still think Hodinkee's good taste comes through.
Old 21 January 2022, 10:26 AM   #68
uniqueMR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: P A T E K
Quote:
As a reminder:

This is not healthy...
Well said!
Old 21 January 2022, 11:30 AM   #69
QuelleHeureEstIl
Banned

Quote:
Agree about the conflict of interest. But I still think Hodinkee's good taste comes through.
Jack Forster is amazing! Tim from Watchbox is phenomenal!

But I cannot forget this fun scene with S&P Global Ratings from the Big Short. :)
QuelleHeureEstIl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2022, 11:39 AM   #70
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

Quote:
But I still think Hodinkee's good taste comes through.
To go with their good taste, Hodinkee have a great travel clock to sell to you: https://shop.hodinkee.com/collection...31724511854667
VogelPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2022, 12:13 PM   #71
PPcollector
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VogelPhoenix View Post
To go with their good taste, Hodinkee have a great travel clock to sell to you: https://shop.hodinkee.com/collection...31724511854667
PPcollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2022, 03:59 PM   #72
Carlazzo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichiran View Post
I prefer my Nautilus to Ferrari

Attachment 1268207
Simply... Wow !!
5726 is my favourite one. Congrats.
Carlazzo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2022, 05:15 PM   #73
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiteu2 View Post
Much better than a Ferrari and takes up far less room!
Quote:
Originally Posted by P1nky_Up View Post
Love the selection. For clarification I wouldn’t necessarily sell. Just would be hard to see that much profit and not cross my mind.

Plus Pateks tend to work when I put then on my wrist. Ferraris are known to break
Quote:
Originally Posted by PPcollector View Post
Wow!! Nice collection!! The price for 5270P is also all over the place from $195 to $305 on C24. May take a month or two before the true market value on secondary stabilize.
Quote:
Superb! Congrats!

Maintenance costs are way cheaper and you can bring them *inside* the restaurant. :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlazzo View Post
Simply... Wow !!
5726 is my favourite one. Congrats.
Thanks!
Ichiran is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2022, 05:43 PM   #74
Jlamb
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VogelPhoenix View Post
It's sold out as well... It doesn't make sense on so many levels.
Jlamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2022, 04:34 PM   #75
EUguy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patek_collector View Post
Below is the lisy my AD shared this morning… not sure if this is true. But if it is, then Patek is planning a massive launch in 2022.

My AD also confirmed the discontinuation of many of the references on this list so I am afraid that this is indeed true… I am interested in a World Time but the 5230 is on that list as well. Of course we have no crystal ball, but is it to be expected that there will be a replacement for the 5230?
EUguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2022, 09:37 PM   #76
scurfa
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EUguy View Post
My AD also confirmed the discontinuation of many of the references on this list so I am afraid that this is indeed true… I am interested in a World Time but the 5230 is on that list as well. Of course we have no crystal ball, but is it to be expected that there will be a replacement for the 5230?

I’m not sure it will be replaced, a clever trick would be to make one in steel to raise its profile, it’s not a popular model and I bought the last one my AD had the other day, they have had it so long they have sent it back for a service and a new strap as the one on is faded.
I would expect to see more world time chronograph’s in maybe yellow or rose gold and I agree it is looking like a big run out of new watches here is mine before it’s gone away for service.

Old 26 January 2022, 09:46 PM   #77
ts3
"TRF" Member

I am expecting quite a few of the discontinued references to be back in a different metal and/or dial color.
ts3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2022, 10:43 PM   #78
classicalthunder
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710 BLRO
my understanding is that 5196s have been relatively available (still in cases, etc.) this past year...if they linger in the cases longer is this a scenario where you might be able to get a discount on a Patek out of an AD?
classicalthunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2022, 11:03 PM   #79
scurfa
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicalthunder View Post
my understanding is that 5196s have been relatively available (still in cases, etc.) this past year...if they linger in the cases longer is this a scenario where you might be able to get a discount on a Patek out of an AD?

It has not been the case near me, I bought one in December 2019 from my local AD and the whole group have not had another one since.

Old 26 January 2022, 11:05 PM   #80
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by classicalthunder View Post

Not the case from what I’ve heard in the states. 5196 have been surprisingly scarce the past year or more.
Old 26 January 2022, 11:17 PM   #81
huydoan
"TRF" Member

Watch: pp and only pp
same in my region. I was able to pick up the only 5196P in my home country over the last 2 years
huydoan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2022, 11:31 PM   #82
Mattt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlamb View Post
It's sold out as well... It doesn't make sense on so many levels.
Kind of related... I bought a Hodinkee watch roll and the quality was TERRIBLE.

NO ONE SHOULD BUY ANYTHING UNDER THAT BRAND

Terrible, terrible quality. I ended up paying around $385 for the roll and it was really bad.
Mattt is offline   Reply With Quote