The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 27 January 2022, 10:08 AM   #31
ganiccus
Banned

Watch: Exp II
Quote:
Originally Posted by crunkerman View Post
His bio says he grew up in Montreal atleast went to primary school there. Anyway, Montreal is bilingual, most people interchange English and French words when speaking. Sort of like Spanglish is the states. Anyway, it sounds pretentious as f**k when he is speaking to a non-Quebec audience. ... , how do you say that word in eeenglish??? colleccczion , zat zee right word???
He doesn't speak much french at all, trust me. Even today you can very well live in Montreal without any issue as an unilingual anglophone, so imagine back in the 60s and 70s when the anglos were basically running the town.

And when Kevin tried to run as prime minister of Canada with the Tories a couple of years ago, he quickly realized he had no chance to win because the polls showed him he would not get any support from his home province due to his lack of proficiency in french.
ganiccus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2022, 10:14 AM   #32
F131F
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Submariner 14060A
Quote:
Originally Posted by ganiccus View Post
Even today you can very well live in Montreal without any issue as an unilingual anglophone, so imagine back in the 60s and 70s when the anglos were basically running the town.
True! I have a cousin who taught mathematics in an English speaking college from the mid seventies until he retired a few years ago. He never spoke a word of Quebecois or French and still doesn't.
F131F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2022, 12:35 PM   #33
boogiebot
"TRF" Member

Watch: me post!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
I wish people would stop talking about watches as if they're the next cryptocurrency.

It's nice that some retain value, but please stop using them as speculative investments.

Buy gold if you want an inflation hedge.

This x1000000. Very well said.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
boogiebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2022, 04:59 AM   #34
tymonster
"TRF" Member

I've watched a few of his videos with Teddy Baldassarre and they have some good banter back and forth. I can appreciate his collection and at least from what it seems, working to build relationships to earn his spot in the collecting world. But the watch hobby turned investment route isn't for regular people. It's for the wealthy and will remain that way. Can't hate it. Like with any type of significant return on investment, you need money to make money. It's cool that your rainbow daytona trades for $500k, but you needed the $100k to buy it at retail in the first place, plus the $$$ spent to build a relationship to even be offered the piece in the first place. And at least know that the "rainbow" is made of sapphires and not diamonds Kevin, come on!
tymonster is offline   Reply With Quote