The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 25 January 2022, 06:50 AM   #31
ButtButt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dauster View Post
have you considered reaching out to one of the salons - geneva, paris or london and explaining them your situation ? I find it surprising that a customer that wants to buy an 80k dress watch that's trading below retail can't do so. Maybe better to work with the salons then - and you might get VAT back.
Can’t say I have… do people normally do this? I was hoping to see it in person and try it on first before committing but I’m not in any rush. Worst case I will just pass on the watch for now as I’m sure there are always newer and better things that are released. It is just a luxury item after all
ButtButt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2022, 06:56 AM   #32
CobraKai2020
"TRF" Member

I just added a orange leather strap - definitely digging it. I only wear t-shirts and flip flops - it's a very versatile watch....

DO01050621.jpg
CobraKai2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2022, 07:31 AM   #33
ButtButt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobraKai2020 View Post
I just added a orange leather strap - definitely digging it. I only wear t-shirts and flip flops - it's a very versatile watch....

Attachment 1269201
Wow love it, where’s the strap from?
Old 25 January 2022, 07:39 AM   #34
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButtButt View Post
Can’t say I have… do people normally do this? I was hoping to see it in person and try it on first before committing but I’m not in any rush. Worst case I will just pass on the watch for now as I’m sure there are always newer and better things that are released. It is just a luxury item after all
honestly, idk most people that are frustrated want a hot piece but this is not the case for you. I'd send them an email and see what happens. Idk if you travel to any of the cities for business/ leisure. also, it depends how much hassle you want to go through. I personally enjoy the chase enormously so I always do "weird" things like this. worst case is you don't buy it and move on.
dauster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2022, 09:28 AM   #35
ChrisMy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek & Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zzoggie View Post
hi im based in KL, Malaysia and the 5172g was my 1st PP purchase. Works well with shorts and tees :)

During the sale, i made it clear to my SA that i wanted to be on the interest list for PP SS sport watches to which he replied that he cant promise but will try his best. 4 months later, he offered me a 5168g and said that i will need to purchase more in order to be eligible to get any of the ss nautilus aquanaut.

Bro may I know is this from hour glass or cortina ? Looking to get one myself too but I’ve only purchased some Rolex in hour glass

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ChrisMy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2022, 04:44 PM   #36
ButtButt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
honestly, idk most people that are frustrated want a hot piece but this is not the case for you. I'd send them an email and see what happens. Idk if you travel to any of the cities for business/ leisure. also, it depends how much hassle you want to go through. I personally enjoy the chase enormously so I always do "weird" things like this. worst case is you don't buy it and move on.
haha I hear ya... hopefully will have more clarity next week. The chase and the wait is indeed fun!
Old 25 January 2022, 07:44 PM   #37
Zzoggie
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisMy View Post
Bro may I know is this from hour glass or cortina ? Looking to get one myself too but I’ve only purchased some Rolex in hour glass

cortina
Zzoggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2022, 10:05 PM   #38
ChrisMy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek & Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zzoggie View Post
cortina

Thx bro gonna give it a try then

ChrisMy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2022, 10:12 PM   #39
Watches and Wonder
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Another day, another “considering my first Patek” thread

I’m considering a 5172G as my first Patek and was wondering if there’s anything I should know before diving in head first. Will there be any replacement or revision to it any time soon? Ever since seeing this watch online I’ve been obsessing over it pretty much everyday… from the dial to the hands to the layout to the movement I love everything about it. A manual wind chronograph has always been near the top of my list so this watch seems to hit all the spots. I’ve even gone as far as making it my computer and phone wallpaper! Is this a watch that I can walk in and see or order and wait a few months for it? Or do I need some sort of history for this as well?

I only have a tiny collection that I’m just starting to build upon. An old Speedmaster that I got as a graduation gift nearly 20 years ago, a Batman I was lucky enough to find back in 2015, and a Zenith that I picked up recently. I don’t actively seek out blue watches but somehow it seems to be a common running theme at this point.

Would buying this watch be enough to get me onto the list for a Nautilus in the future? I’ve searched/read this forum and found varying replies from you need to spend $2-3M in a year to I was able to get one after my first purchase. It’s not a dealbreaker as I would never buy anything I don’t love but I’d be lying if I said I wouldn’t be a little disappointed if I can never get one. Unfortunately I live in Singapore where everyone seems to have more money than you. I’m guessing I would be a nobody to the AD even after my first purchase.

I’ve always loved and admired Patek from a distance but never thought I’d be in a position to own one until now. There’s only a handful of models that I’m interested in so I’d be buying to keep and not to sell.

Great timing in this crazy market huh?
"Obsessing over it pretty much everyday" is a good excuse to buy it and take the dive. Never buy anything you don't like as it could end very ugly for you. If you only want this piece to get another, I suggest you have an open and honest conversation about it with your AD. If that is not fruitful, guy straight to a reputable grey and see if you can get the piece of your dreams with a bit more cash and patience. Good luck
Watches and Wonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2022, 02:15 AM   #40
ButtButt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watches and Wonder View Post
"Obsessing over it pretty much everyday" is a good excuse to buy it and take the dive. Never buy anything you don't like as it could end very ugly for you. If you only want this piece to get another, I suggest you have an open and honest conversation about it with your AD. If that is not fruitful, guy straight to a reputable grey and see if you can get the piece of your dreams with a bit more cash and patience. Good luck
Thanks, that's definitely what I plan to do.
Old 27 January 2022, 08:12 PM   #41
ButtButt
"TRF" Member

So I finally had a chance to visit some ADs and take a look at the watch in person... I'm in love with it even more now! They weren't kidding when they said pictures don't do it justice.

Quote:
Had a really good experience at one of the ADs, they told me it's still possible to get the watch but may need to wait a few months to a year which I don't have any problems with... so I put my name down for one. Unfortunately it was all sealed up in plastic so I couldn't really try it on properly but I'm about 6'1" with 7.25" wrists and I think it looked just fine.

Quote:

Got to play with and try on some other watches since I was there. I didn't like how chunky the 5726 was but I loved the 5712... maybe one day if I'm lucky.

Quote:
They even gave me some nice reading material to keep me busy until the watch hopefully arrives.

Quote:
And lastly... some lunch after a long day of watch shopping

Thanks to everyone for their help and advice here... now the wait begins.
Old 28 January 2022, 12:40 PM   #42
llngoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
So I finally had a chance to visit some ADs and take a look at the watch in person... I'm in love with it even more now! They weren't kidding when they said pictures don't do it justice.

Had a really good experience at one of the ADs, they told me it's still possible to get the watch but may need to wait a few months to a year which I don't have any problems with... so I put my name down for one. Unfortunately it was all sealed up in plastic so I couldn't really try it on properly but I'm about 6'1" with 7.25" wrists and I think it looked just fine.

Got to play with and try on some other watches since I was there. I didn't like how chunky the 5726 was but I loved the 5712... maybe one day if I'm lucky.

They even gave me some nice reading material to keep me busy until the watch hopefully arrives.

And lastly... some lunch after a long day of watch shopping

Thanks to everyone for their help and advice here... now the wait begins.
Hope you will get yours soon. I just got the call from the AD confirming my order for October delivery. From the way it sounds, you may even get it before me.
llngoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2022, 02:26 PM   #43
smallcollector
"TRF" Member

AD knows its coming in Oct? All the AD's i talk to - say they have no clue when anything is coming in these days.
smallcollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2022, 09:55 PM   #44
ButtButt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by llngoc View Post
Hope you will get yours soon. I just got the call from the AD confirming my order for October delivery. From the way it sounds, you may even get it before me.
I won't hold my breath I'll try my best to forget about it and if it comes it comes. The wait can be part of the fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallcollector View Post
AD knows its coming in Oct? All the AD's i talk to - say they have no clue when anything is coming in these days.
I don't like it as well but I think they have to say this to cover their bases. From what they told me Patek gives them 1-2 pieces of some models every few months (sometimes even less and even longer) and they decide who to allocate them to. They can't choose which pieces to order at all... similar to Rolex.
Old 29 January 2022, 12:20 AM   #45
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by CobraKai2020 View Post

Attachment 1269201
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2022, 03:06 AM   #46
llngoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I won't hold my breath I'll try my best to forget about it and if it comes it comes. The wait can be part of the fun!

I don't like it as well but I think they have to say this to cover their bases. From what they told me Patek gives them 1-2 pieces of some models every few months (sometimes even less and even longer) and they decide who to allocate them to. They can't choose which pieces to order at all... similar to Rolex.
I think my AD communicated to PP that there is a customer requesting a specific piece and when a piece of this model is allocated to the AD, it gets a confirmation with a projected delivery date. I don't think he knows when he will get a shipment until it is confirmed. And your AD may not want to commit until you are committed then it can "ask" for the watch and see if he will get one. From what I see it, it is not a very transparent process from PP's end but at least my AD is very transparent and always keep me up-to-date on the pieces on my wishlist.
Old 29 January 2022, 05:30 AM   #47
ButtButt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by llngoc View Post
I think my AD communicated to PP that there is a customer requesting a specific piece and when a piece of this model is allocated to the AD, it gets a confirmation with a projected delivery date. I don't think he knows when he will get a shipment until it is confirmed. And your AD may not want to commit until you are committed then it can "ask" for the watch and see if he will get one. From what I see it, it is not a very transparent process from PP's end but at least my AD is very transparent and always keep me up-to-date on the pieces on my wishlist.
That is interesting. There seems to be so many varying opinions on the way orders from ADs work. Someone needs to infiltrate them and find out once and for all
Old 29 January 2022, 10:05 AM   #48
llngoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
That is interesting. There seems to be so many varying opinions on the way orders from ADs work. Someone needs to infiltrate them and find out once and for all

Whoever figures it out will probably be assassinated by PP.
Old 11 March 2022, 12:18 AM   #49
ButtButt
"TRF" Member

Well, I can’t believe I’m typing this but I got an unexpected message today that my watch arrived. It honestly feels a bit surreal and I I feel so incredibly lucky and grateful that I can enjoy something like this. I would have never thought this would be reality just a few years ago.

I think I must have gone to ten or so ADs and put my name down at each one. I heard everything from “we only do interest lists” to “you have a better chance getting a two tone gold Rolex than anything from Patek as a first time customer.” I was honestly mentally prepared to wait until the end of this year or next year. But this AD really came through… they were the last one I spoke to and got the watch for me in just over 2 weeks!

In any case, here are some crappy photos I took with my phone that don’t do the watch any justice. And also a big thanks to the people that spoke to me through PMs and gave me lots of valuable advice

Quote:

Old 11 March 2022, 12:42 AM   #50
Partekular
"TRF" Member

A classic PP, mechanically amazing, discrete, dress up, dress down, it goes with anything. One of the best!
Partekular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2022, 12:58 AM   #51
Replicar
"TRF" Member

Congrats ! It is a great one !

Is there a power reserve indicator ? If not, what advice did the AD give for not over winding the watch ? I imagine if you wind up a little per day, it will still eventually run the risk of over winding.
Replicar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2022, 01:04 AM   #52
ButtButt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replicar View Post

Is there a power reserve indicator ? If not, what advice did the AD give for not over winding the watch ? I imagine if you wind up a little per day, it will still eventually run the risk of over winding.
There's no power reserve indicator. The AD suggested I just wind it every time I'm going to wear the watch. But the manual says there's some kind of mechanism that prevents over-winding of the watch.
Old 11 March 2022, 01:27 AM   #53
Jmaguire17
"TRF" Member

Congratulations, wear it in good health! Definitely a versatile watch that's classy and casual at the same time
Jmaguire17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2022, 01:45 AM   #54
Vasco
"TRF" Member

Quote:
...If not, what advice did the AD give for not over winding the watch ? I imagine if you wind up a little per day, it will still eventually run the risk of over winding.
Quote:
...But the manual says there's some kind of mechanism that prevents over-winding of the watch.
The 29-535 has a dynamometric crown. I'm not sure it is a classical sliding flange equipping the spring barrel, it seems it is rather something inside the crown's stem mechanism.

You can fully wind it, and just hear a tic tic tic when it is fully wound.

Congratulations for you acquisition, wear it in the best of health.
Vasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2022, 03:44 AM   #55
dauster
"TRF" Member

huge congrats. looks great on you !!! wear in good health !!!!
dauster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2022, 04:08 AM   #56
smallcollector
"TRF" Member

Looks great - - would you say it wears larger or smaller to what you were expecting?
smallcollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2022, 04:18 AM   #57
TOlsen
"TRF" Member

Huge congrats! Would love to see some more pictures of this beauty!
TOlsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2022, 05:07 AM   #58
ButtButt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Partekular View Post
A classic PP, mechanically amazing, discrete, dress up, dress down, it goes with anything. One of the best!
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmaguire17 View Post
Congratulations, wear it in good health! Definitely a versatile watch that's classy and casual at the same time
Quote:
huge congrats. looks great on you !!! wear in good health !!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOlsen View Post
Huge congrats! Would love to see some more pictures of this beauty!
Thank you all! It honestly does not feel real still.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallcollector View Post
Looks great - - would you say it wears larger or smaller to what you were expecting?
Tough for me to answer this since I did view it in person before expressing interest so I knew what to expect. I would say it’s very wearable though, it’s surprisingly thin and fits just about perfectly on my 7”-7.25” wrists.

If we’re going just by feel and not looking at specs this feels like the thinnest and smallest watch I have. Absolutely love it.

Quote:

Old 11 March 2022, 03:19 PM   #59
myporsche
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex♠Lange
Stunning and my top pick, congrats!
myporsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2022, 02:41 AM   #60
Partekular
"TRF" Member

Might I suggest that you flog the three also rans in part exchange for its partner, the 5320G?
Partekular is offline   Reply With Quote