The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 23 January 2022, 09:13 AM   #31
francoamerican
"TRF" Member

For me, the most damning aspect of turquoise Patek is that it’s almost certainly derivative of the Rolex oyster perpetual turquoise. Lack of imagination.
francoamerican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2022, 09:17 AM   #32
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

I kinda……..love it
ap1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2022, 09:22 AM   #33
Cru Jones
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by francoamerican View Post
For me, the most damning aspect of turquoise Patek is that it’s almost certainly derivative of the Rolex oyster perpetual turquoise. Lack of imagination.

LOL, right……
Cru Jones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2022, 09:26 AM   #34
Bearxj86
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3970
Personally I hate everything this represents:

1) Most people that get piece unique pateks are discreet and are incredibly excited to put a few nice touches on an iconic desigh. This is clearly a pure and utter flex to get the most hype possible. Also the lack of discretion is so not Patek collector.

2) Subliminal message that LVMH wants and will at some point buy Patek.

3) Piece unique lacks orginality.

4) A frenchman wearing and flexing a storied American company logo like a conquering war hero especially since Patek/Tiffany really milked this with the Tiffany color and logo - it rubs me the wrong way.

5) Don't get me started on the 27 year old boy CEO who posted this. Seems like a good kid but ...lets just say nepotism is alive and well.
Bearxj86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2022, 10:00 AM   #35
QuelleHeureEstIl
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearxj86 View Post

1) Most people that get piece unique pateks are discreet and are incredibly excited to put a few nice touches on an iconic desigh. This is clearly a pure and utter flex to get the most hype possible. Also the lack of discretion is so not Patek collector.

4) A frenchman wearing and flexing a storied American company logo like a conquering war hero especially since Patek/Tiffany really milked this with the Tiffany color and logo - it rubs me the wrong way.

5) Don't get me started on the 27 year old boy CEO who posted this. Seems like a good kid but ...lets just say nepotism is alive and well.
So true.

It is even more scary when you think that Channel acquired a minority in FP Journe. So everything is possible.

Arnault, Pinault, Kering and Co are evil sharks, I hope they stay out of our favorite brand because it is not a "fashion brand": https://www.theneweuropean.co.uk/the...ud-in-history/
QuelleHeureEstIl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2022, 11:06 AM   #36
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

This is the beginning of the end.
GreenLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2022, 11:38 AM   #37
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Champagnepapi View Post
Man the Black Panther wasn’t the prettiest thing, but They made it a concept piece. Never meant to be in the classic RO line. Concept watches are always weird lol.

To sum up:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lol you have a point about the concept but still the black panther was just horrible.

Idk like the Tiffany dial in that color- can’t be mad a piece unique for a billionaire…

dauster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2022, 11:39 AM   #38
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini2 View Post
Sterns son cant get a 5711 in green but giving piece uniques to company affiliated with the brand crazy

I think that’s BS but sure sounds good when he said it in an interview

Old 23 January 2022, 11:41 AM   #39
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearxj86 View Post

C’mon he is the son of one of the richest people on earth… who also runs Tiffany- yes nepotism is alive and well !!!!

Old 23 January 2022, 11:48 AM   #40
francoamerican
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cru Jones View Post
LOL, right……
You believe it’s a coincidence?
Old 23 January 2022, 12:02 PM   #41
Moondoggy
"TRF" Member

Watch: and wait
Goodness me. Oh dear.
Moondoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2022, 12:06 PM   #42
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
I wish I'm him. What an unbelievable watch.
Ichiran is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2022, 12:07 PM   #43
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichiran View Post
I wish I'm him. What an unbelievable watch.

Finally someone that also gets it !!! Thank god

Old 23 January 2022, 12:09 PM   #44
WatchesNBlondes
Banned

It's a cool 1/1 piece. Guessing Jay Z or Mark Wahlberg want the next one.
WatchesNBlondes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2022, 12:25 PM   #45
Pw92676
"TRF" Member

BA deserves it. The continual “what’s next” for LVMH and Patek speculation excites me probably far more than most.

Pure coincidence but today CBBs daughter shared some pics of his 6002G. Wowza what a day to drool at watches.
Pw92676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2022, 12:28 PM   #46
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Oh man, that looks awful. I'll take 2.
Old 23 January 2022, 01:09 PM   #47
2nastie
"TRF" Member

Watch: Time Only
I didn’t think there was an uglier dial than the 5711 Tiffany… I was wrong….
2nastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2022, 01:23 PM   #48
malba2366
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by francoamerican View Post
Its not derivative of Rolex...that shade of blue is a Tiffany trademarked color, and Rolex got as close as they could without getting sued. Nobody really cared about the OP in that color until PP released the T&CO stamped 5711 in that color.

There is something going on behind the scenes between LVMH and PP...my suspicion is that we will see PP branded boutiques within select T&CO stores in the US which will be the exclusive retailer of PP here. This is a quick and easy way for LVMH to move PP upmarket to challenge Chanel and VCA.
malba2366 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2022, 01:38 PM   #49
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

yeah that's a violation
huncho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2022, 02:30 PM   #50
francoamerican
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by malba2366 View Post
Its not derivative of Rolex...that shade of blue is a Tiffany trademarked color, and Rolex got as close as they could without getting sued. Nobody really cared about the OP in that color until PP released the T&CO stamped 5711 in that color.

There is something going on behind the scenes between LVMH and PP...my suspicion is that we will see PP branded boutiques within select T&CO stores in the US which will be the exclusive retailer of PP here. This is a quick and easy way for LVMH to move PP upmarket to challenge Chanel and VCA.
I understand that that the color of what people call “Tiffany blue” existed before Rolex made a watch that everyone called “the Tiffany blue.” People were clearly very interested in the turquoise OP watch and paying above market before Patek released their watch.

Maybe Rolex had wind of the Patek model, or maybe it was indeed a coincidence. Or maybe Patek considered that they had access to actual Tiffany after the success of the Rolex model?
Old 23 January 2022, 03:26 PM   #51
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

If the 1/170 5711 Tiffany is $6.5m, then wouldn't this 1/1 5740 be upward of $65m, at the minimum? It is utterly rare and is more complex than the 5711 Tiffany. What an extraordinary gift by TS.
Old 23 January 2022, 03:53 PM   #52
onlytstamps
"TRF" Member

Quote:
If the 1/170 5711 Tiffany is $6.5m, then wouldn't this 1/1 5740 be upward of $65m, at the minimum? It is utterly rare and is more complex than the 5711 Tiffany. What an extraordinary gift by TS.
So you are saying this 5740 is worth more than The One 6300A auctioned for $31M CHF?!? Crazy….
onlytstamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2022, 05:52 PM   #53
Murcielagoboy2
"TRF" Member

Doesn’t matter who it’s made for and how many they’ve made,, it looks dreadful. But then so did the 5711 version.
Murcielagoboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2022, 07:05 PM   #54
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlytstamps View Post
So you are saying this 5740 is worth more than The One 6300A auctioned for $31M CHF?!? Crazy….
Just my opinion - it is a 1/1 Nautilus combined with a T stamp in Tiffany Blue, and just about the most "grammable" watch in social-media sphere atm

The 6300A would probably have fetched a higher price in today's market but well, it is not a Nautilus.
Old 23 January 2022, 07:15 PM   #55
sameer222
"TRF" Member

Watch: PatekRolexAPLange
Could TS be signalling that the 5740 is the ultimate nautilus? He seems to like it particularly. Why would he not have gifted a 5990R with Tiffany stamped turquoise dial instead?
sameer222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2022, 08:05 PM   #56
IBDOC
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Just my opinion - it is a 1/1 Nautilus combined with a T stamp in Tiffany Blue, and just about the most "grammable" watch in social-media sphere atm

The 6300A would probably have fetched a higher price in today's market but well, it is not a Nautilus.
6300A fetched $31M for one single reason and that’s spelled tax deduction due to charity auction. Same reason the Tiffany 5711 ended at $6.5M.

My head canon discounts such nonsense prices since it’s not market forces at work, it’s just tax planning. Disregarding the 6300A, the Graves Supercomplication, PN Daytona and 1518 steel hold the top 3 auction results. Anyone in their right mind can see that these represent a much better snapshot of what collectors actually pay for.
IBDOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2022, 08:38 PM   #57
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Not a fan of the colour, doesn’t concern me that they have produced a one off dial colour for a hugely important client. I have asked for unique dials on several occasions, so far always turned down but I will keep asking.
Russell996 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2022, 08:39 PM   #58
rolexperfect
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116506
I find it absolutely crazy that Patek Philippe did this. What the heck is PP doing by getting associated with a 100B fortune? Are you all sure they still wanna stay family-owned and independent with these crazy one-off things?
Old 24 January 2022, 12:58 AM   #59
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuelleHeureEstIl View Post
So true.

It is even more scary when you think that Channel acquired a minority in FP Journe. So everything is possible.

Arnault, Pinault, Kering and Co are evil sharks, I hope they stay out of our favorite brand because it is not a "fashion brand": https://www.theneweuropean.co.uk/the...ud-in-history/

Dig deeper the Chanel 20 % isn’t a corollary to the f***ery at PP and LVMH.
Old 24 January 2022, 02:15 AM   #60
francoamerican
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBDOC View Post
6300A fetched $31M for one single reason and that’s spelled tax deduction due to charity auction. Same reason the Tiffany 5711 ended at $6.5M.

My head canon discounts such nonsense prices since it’s not market forces at work, it’s just tax planning. Disregarding the 6300A, the Graves Supercomplication, PN Daytona and 1518 steel hold the top 3 auction results. Anyone in their right mind can see that these represent a much better snapshot of what collectors actually pay for.
This is an incorrect understanding of how charitable deduction works (at least in the US.) You only get a deduction for contributions above fmv of any gift received. An auction for a unique collectible establishes fmv - so no excess over fmv and no deduction. Now if someone paid $1,000,000 for a regular green dialed OP you could take a 990,000 deduction (you’d probably even get away using MSRP 6k over low fmv 10k).

It’s possible someone paid extra because it went to what they believed was a worthy cause. Or someone was just showing off - it defies any reasonable store of value since it would require another unexpectedly motivated buyer. Even if it were deductible, it’s still a 15,000,000 watch in most tax schemes.

The main thing is this 5740 is hideous and there are so many cooler things to be wearing. Particularly the 5711 Tiffany blue nautilus would be so boring to see in real life relative to even a Lange (I’ve seen dozens of nautilus on friends and at conferences etc but only Lange in cases). I love the regular nautilus but it’s not seeing someone wearing say a 3448 or minute repeater.