The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 23 January 2022, 09:12 AM   #1
CobraKai2020
"TRF" Member

5522A - 001 - missing “New York” watermark

Hi All,

I recently purchased a 2017 Patek 5522A-001 from a reputable online dealer. Upon delivery, I quickly noticed that it was missing the watermark on the back sapphire to commemorate a 2017 New York watch conference that Patek held. So, it’s a limited release of 600 pieces which was attractive to me.

Another interesting thing was that it was “sealed” by the service department upon delivery, but it wasn’t vacuumed sealed so it could have been tampered with? I wonder if someone tried to play it off as an unworn piece and hoped to sell it to someone that didn’t plan on opening it… but my plan was to actually wear it.

Thankfully the online retail shop will take it back, but wanted to get thoughts here.

Anyone have thoughts on these two points?
1. 5522A lacking the New York watermark on the back
2. Sealed package from “Patek” but not vacuum sealed.
CobraKai2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2022, 09:47 AM   #2
dannyp
Banned

A few things I'm not clear on:

1. When you say "watermark" are you referring to something that's supposed to be etched into the sapphire, or a sticker placed on the back (like the old Rolex holograms)?

2. When you say "sealed" but not "vacuum sealed" what does that mean exactly? That it came in the original factory box but not the inner packaging?

3. On the same note, what do you mean by "service department" in this case? The online dealer, or PP? "Service" implies after-sales service, and they wouldn't be resealing regardless.
dannyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2022, 09:51 AM   #3
chennney
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5212A

There’s supposed to be an engraving on the case back since it was limited to 600 units for the NY exhibition
chennney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2022, 10:49 AM   #4
CobraKai2020
"TRF" Member

As mentioned by chennney - it's missing the engraving on the case back. It’s just a clear case back - without the engraving.

The piece arrived in a long skinny box (along with the papers and original Patek box) that appears to originate from the Service department from Patek - it has a little hang tag on the clasp that has some initials on it that appears to be a QC check from Patek before it went out the door.

Also - it came in a Patek opaque plastic sleeve, but it wasn't vacuum sealed - meaning, I believe it could have been staged to appear like it came from the service department from Patek and hadn't been opened since then... But - after looking at pictures of other pieces from Patek's service department - those appear to be vacuum sealed, which the one that was delivered to me was not. It was just sealed which brings me to the suspicion that it's been tampered with and might lack some authenticity somewhere...

I believe the original seller wanted to make this piece appealing to a collector that wouldn't open the sealed plastic to preserve the desirability from collectors....

I’m a conspiracy theorist at heart so my immediate thought was “SCAM!!), but before I jumped to conclusions, I wanted to get people’s take here…

Does this make sense?
Old 23 January 2022, 02:13 PM   #5
dannyp
Banned

Personally, I would contact Patek. The company keeps detailed records, and perhaps could shed some light on this particular piece. Perhaps they performed some kind of service on it and the watch required a new case back? Or perhaps Patek produced one or more additional pieces beyond the initial run of 600 (there were a couple of 5065 Aquanauts produced as late as 2012 because there turned out to be some leftover cases). More importantly, if something is off, then their records (or lack thereof) will help you identify the issue.
Old 23 January 2022, 04:10 PM   #6
onlytstamps
"TRF" Member

You might have a 1/1 in your hands if this indeed is a “mistake” and the watch is legitimate but lacks the engraving on the sapphire caseback. Let us know what you find out…very curious!
onlytstamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2022, 04:25 PM   #7
dchang81
2024 Pledge Member

Curious if this is the one from EWC
dchang81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2022, 05:15 PM   #8
agsstructures
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchang81 View Post
Curious if this is the one from EWC
I think it may be
agsstructures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2022, 05:16 PM   #9
agsstructures
2024 Pledge Member

I’ve only seen one in person and it had the commemorative caseback
agsstructures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2022, 09:47 PM   #10
cascavel
2024 Pledge Member

Are you sure it's missing the watermark? It's hard to see it dead-on and you need to angle the sapphire crystal, as chennney did in his pic, to read the mark. Good lighting helps.
cascavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2022, 09:49 PM   #11
ts3
"TRF" Member

Any evidence as to the missing engraving on the service receipt?

I'd contact Henri Stern - assuming it was serviced there - and ask if and why the case back was replaced or if the engraving had already been missing when the watch left the factory. I'd also like to find out why this fairly new watch needed a service in the first place.

When I saw EWC's supposedly service sealed 5522A a few days ago I considered the service a minus rather than a plus a la what was wrong with this watch.

Personally I don't like engraved / etched display case backs and wouldn't miss it. If you ever wanted to move on though it could become a major issue.
ts3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2022, 12:42 AM   #12
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Well mine had the etching in the sapphire so it isn’t mine
Old 24 January 2022, 03:52 AM   #13
dannyp
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ts3 View Post
Any evidence as to the missing engraving on the service receipt?

I'd contact Henri Stern - assuming it was serviced there - and ask if and why the case back was replaced or if the engraving had already been missing when the watch left the factory. I'd also like to find out why this fairly new watch needed a service in the first place.

When I saw EWC's supposedly service sealed 5522A a few days ago I considered the service a minus rather than a plus a la what was wrong with this watch.

Personally I don't like engraved / etched display case backs and wouldn't miss it. If you ever wanted to move on though it could become a major issue.
Wonder if it was returned under warranty and service was performed to essentially return it to new, sellable condition?

When I got my Aquanaut, it stopped within weeks. Told dealer I wanted a new one, which was ordered. A month or so later, I got a call asking that I send back the box from my original, as it had arrived back, ready to sell.

Assuming that it would have come in “service” packaging, but who knows…
Old 24 January 2022, 08:25 AM   #14
Will_L
"TRF" Member

Could OP provide images of the watch ? I am very curious now
Will_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2022, 03:20 PM   #15
PatekSF
"TRF" Member

Watch: what I like to do
The real question is why on earth would a simple, 3 hand 5522 that’s no more than 4 years old with a quite reliable 324 movement need service? Unless it’s been abused, it should have no need to service so early. There's no way HSWA or any other authorized PP service center would replace the back with something that wasn’t fitted as it left Geneva. My advice is return it ASAP … something is very fishy about this piece.
Old 25 January 2022, 04:53 AM   #16
CobraKai2020
"TRF" Member

I appreciate the responses. Thankfully

I have a 5167R and compared the case back and movement (that's visible through the sapphire) to the 5522A and the looked pretty much identical. There definitely is a story behind this piece, but I don't think it's one of those stories that increases the value or desirability. Actually - I would imagine it does the complete opposite hence the questions and return.

I wanted to make sure my concerns were validated and thankfully I got that from this thread. Thank you for all for your responses.

And - the online retailer did take this back and issued a full refund.

What happens with this piece from here... is up to the Watch Gods.

Cheers everyone...