The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > Buyers/Sellers "Who's Who" ?!?!

Old 24 January 2022, 03:45 AM   #1
Sunstreaker
"TRF" Member

Thoughts/references for Capetown Diamonds?

I may have found a nice Daytona that has everything except the card.

What are your thoughts on Capetown? And would you buy a piece without the original warranty card?
Sunstreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2022, 03:59 AM   #2
fed_fan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Hulk
Had a very negative experience with them back in 2013. Went in person, picked out and sized a specific Rolex. They’d ship to avoid taxes and the watch that arrived was different...stickers in different placement and bracelet not sized. Didn’t pass the smell test so I returned it.
fed_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2022, 04:10 AM   #3
Sunstreaker
"TRF" Member

Thanks fed fan, that’s good to know. This would be an online/phone purchase, sight unseen, hence the hesitation …
Old 24 January 2022, 05:09 AM   #4
jbsmith
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas
I've been to their showroom by appointment a couple of times and ordered a Cartier Santos XL Chrono online from them. Delivered as promised and as described (display model with only rubber strap, no gator). It's a family owned business that I had the pleasure of dealing with the founder's son. No complaints from me. They are also on ebay with a 100% rating with almost 800 reviews.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
jbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2022, 12:35 PM   #5
Sunstreaker
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbsmith View Post
I've been to their showroom by appointment a couple of times and ordered a Cartier Santos XL Chrono online from them. Delivered as promised and as described (display model with only rubber strap, no gator). It's a family owned business that I had the pleasure of dealing with the founder's son. No complaints from me. They are also on ebay with a 100% rating with almost 800 reviews.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Thanks jbsmith. It’s true, their website is like a flashback to the 90s. But good to hear you had a good experience. Thank you.
Old 24 January 2022, 12:38 PM   #6
Rrpdc
2024 Pledge Member

They seem like very honest people but they are very disorganized and website is a def flashback. Inventory never updated on site.
Rrpdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2022, 10:46 PM   #7
Meyeratl
"TRF" Member

I've bought 2 watches and sold 1 to them. Been to their showroom and they're the real deal.
Meyeratl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2022, 12:11 AM   #8
Knappo 1307
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Sea Dweller
https://www.rolexforums.com/search.p...rchid=30705798
Knappo 1307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2022, 12:10 AM   #9
Knappo 1307

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knappo 1307 View Post
Why was my copied thread deleted? I did a search for capetown diamonds and several threads came up, not sure why it's gone???
Old 30 January 2022, 12:11 AM   #10
Knappo 1307

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knappo 1307 View Post
Why was my copied thread deleted? I did a search for capetown diamonds and several threads came up, not sure why it's gone???
I'll try it again: https://www.rolexforums.com/search.p...rchid=30712008
Old 30 January 2022, 02:15 AM   #11
Knappo 1307

I can do this all day....

https://www.rolexforums.com/search.p...rchid=30712956
Old 31 January 2022, 12:55 AM   #12
Knappo 1307

https://www.rolexforums.com/search.p...rchid=30718626
Old 11 May 2022, 07:36 AM   #14
Guybrush
"TRF" Member

Watch: 118209
I've documented some of this elsewhere on the forum, but will add my comments here too, since it's a thread dedicated to Capetown Diamond in Georgia.

If this were a Yelp review, I'd go 3.5 stars (out of 5).

Let me say at the outset (to allay the big worry), I believe they are legit and are selling only authentic watches. I have no reason to believe that they are involved in anything shady or illegal (though some of what happened here could be legally problematic--I'm not sure).

Also, I'd give them good marks for responsiveness to emails and phone calls; they are polite, funny, and professional when it comes to communication, which matters a lot to me.

The reason for not giving them full marks has to do with a lack of forthrightness about their stock, perhaps due to disorganization or perhaps because they don't respect their customers as much as they should. I'll explain what I mean.

But to put it plainly, if you are a buyer who cares about obtaining a piece that is 100% original (collector grade, if you will) and exactly as described and pictured on their website, then you should not purchase from them.

Others have made similar observations, as you can find reading around, and my experience bears this out as well. I understand that they may soon be updating their (very dated) website; perhaps that will improve things; we'll see.

Here is my experience, in outline form.

1) Inquire via phone (and subsequently email) about a watch, which is fully photographed and described on CD's website. Am told is it available; no discount, which is fine--price is good.

2) Continuing email inquiries, gathering details about the watch not fully enumerated in the listing, about (for example) the number of links included, etc. There is never any mention that the specific watch I'm emailing about is not in stock. They respond to my questions with specific answers, referring to a specific watch.

3) Purchase (via their proprietary forms, and then phone calls with their office staff) the watch in question, as identified by a specific stock #.

4) Am informed (via phone) that the dial on the watch has a blemish and will need to be replaced---there is no blemish in the pictures---I authorize this change. Beginning of questionable feelings...

5) The dial is replaced and the watch is sent to me---via very fast shipping (next day), which is nice.

6) I realize that the new dial is lumed but the hands are not. This should not have been my responsibility to notice or sort out. The watch is returned (at CD's expense) to have the hands replaced to match the new dial.

7) While awaiting the return of the watch, I realize that the hands on the original watch I ordered (the one pictured on their site) were in fact lumed. Something isn't adding up here. Begin to suspect they sold me a different watch (which also explains the dial issue) and just never bothered to tell me that.

8) In reviewing the CD paperwork that was physically included with the watch they sent me, I notice that the stock # printed there does not match the stock # of the watch I ordered. Presumably because they sent me a different watch (same Rolex reference, of course). Note that in all our correspondence and on the actual payment form I submitted, the stock # referred to the watch I found on their site. But in the physical paperwork, they kept all of my info (payment, etc), but swapped out the stock #. No one ever mentioned this to me, and I'd never have known if I hadn't gotten suspicious. (This is the bit that may in fact be legally problematic for them.)

Maybe this isn't a huge deal: I'm happy with the new dial (I actually prefer it to the one I would have gotten if they'd sent the watch I ordered), and as long as it has the right hands, what's the difference if RSC does that work vs. a qualified watchmaker at CD using authentic OEM Rolex parts? It's all period-correct.

What I resent is that they didn't tell me---either because they preferred to withhold information (essentially to lie) in order to make for a smoother sale, or because they don't respect their customers enough to expect them to find out when they do this.

We'll see how the watch looks with the new hands; it should arrive here (again) tomorrow. Assuming I'm happy with the result, I'll probably keep it, as it's not an easy reference to find, I like the new configuration, and the price was fair. But I do feel obligated to warn others who might not be as accommodating as I am.

CD is a small, family-owned business, and I try to support those whenever I can. But as someone who comes from a small-business family, I know that reputation is almost everything. If they keep doing this kind of thing, I'm not sure they can expect to continue thriving as much as they have.
Guybrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2022, 07:44 AM   #15
Dan417
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710 BLNR Oyster
I’ve sold Jonathan Marcus of Capetown a watch a little over a year ago. Was a very smooth and hassle free transaction and payment was quick. I would do business with them again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2FA secured

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Dan417 is offline   Reply With Quote