The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 5 April 2016, 08:46 PM   #61
texex91
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapince View Post
well I am on the forum for long time and never read of any dumping their collection for QC problems.
Welcome to your three year anniversary.

If you speak with collectors privately (people with a handful or more), many will tell you they have divested their Patek watches or a good number of them (for quality and pricing). Many will not post those things here Lapence.

Watches no matter the brand are subject to break. It's the time it takes in repairs that peeve many about Patek.

Then again there are some that have posted here that Patek's should be perfect and never break LOL.
texex91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2016, 11:26 PM   #62
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
Quote:
Originally Posted by texex91 View Post

If you speak with collectors privately (people with a handful or more), many will tell you they have divested their Patek watches or a good number of them (for quality and pricing). Many will not post those things here Lapence.

Watches no matter the brand are subject to break. It's the time it takes in repairs that peeve many about Patek.

Then again there are some that have posted here that Patek's should be perfect and never break LOL.
Oh I perfectly get that their service/repair times are untolerable for such a brand, that is scandalous, already formservice it is a huge pain in the a.. But when you just got it and soon after it breaks and you need to wait 6-10 months, that would clearly drive me totally away from it, the 2 I had worked fine, and that for some things their QC is also defective, don't remember exactly but there were a few posts about things like a watch coming out of service without a minute marker or things like that, that is crazy that it went unnoticed, I absolutely don't argue with that, as well their false advertizing "Patek watches maintain or gain in value" yeah right, some do some don't, the grey 5960p is a good example, so Patek is far from being perfect, I just basically like more of their models than I like AP models, especially Nautilus line vs basic RO models, I said basic, some RO are stunning, but I like some AP a lot also, this was an old thread that someone dug up, it was before I got my AP, and as far as this one goes it is flawless in design and finition, not the most accurate I ever got but still ok, i know they can do better and regulate it but I am fine with it for now, will ask them to deal with that later, probably at service.
lapince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2016, 12:08 PM   #63
iLLGT2
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP ROO Blue Scuba
Quote:
Lol well diminishing Patek value, if you got the grey dial 5960p yep that is a sucker, well I am on the forum for long time and never read of any dumping their collection for QC problems, AP has a lot as well, difference is AP has short wait time for repair while Patek is outrageous, about diminishing values like all brands it depends what pieces, 2 years ago youmcould get a mint 3712 for 30k euros, now between 40 and 50, some go down some go up, like all brands, look at retail of most AP pieces and prices on chrono24, some take a beating, most loose a little and very few gain money, about finishing I absolutely don't agree but I guess that is subjective about your 2 which broke i guess you are really unlucky it happens with some people, PP has QC problems like all brands but it usually is sticking date and stuff like that, rare when it goes further but happens, read here one of the new posts, thenone about the AP chrono pusher falling off, never read that from Patek I have to say
It's all good man

No one speaks up so I do, I tell it how it is! With all mechanical machinery yes things can fail, nothing is impervious to fault and failure.

I spoke to the biggest ap dealer in the country the other day when I was with him and he said AP's are stronger in value than Rolex right now for him, Patek not even a question. He just got an incomplete grey dial 5960p for 43 , insane

I was swindled into my 5270 at a "great deal" I was sold and taken like a sucker and then prices dropped 2 weeks later, f them and the salesman, hope he sees this.

As for pusher issues tons of people have had pump pushers fall off their pateks

This isn't tit for tat just saying , at the end of the day I respect your preference. It just bothers me when I see all the Patek Grail OMG posts that it's the end all be all, only if they really knew.

I may be a bit, well bitter however I have every right to be so. It's beyond being taken with my purchase , my experiences have been terrible in regards to reliability! All the best
iLLGT2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2016, 12:10 PM   #64
iLLGT2
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by texex91 View Post

Exactly, Paul.

Wish more of those "collectors" would speak up... Oh well

Hope you're well
Old 6 April 2016, 12:45 PM   #65
el1125
Banned

I will speak up in favor of Patek. I own many of them and luckily have never had a problem with them. At the same time, I have owned AP, Rolex and RMs and never had a problem with them either...but I suspect if I did get into quality problems with Patek or whomever, I would be REALLY pissed off as well..these are expensive objects and nobody likes to lose money...
el1125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2016, 01:51 PM   #66
KarlS
Banned

Yeah I also haven't had any problems and I see as many complaints on this forum about AP and RM having issues. I am one of the members treated with derision for expecting a mechanical watch to actually work and not break down. I have had VC, UN, Rolex, Frank Muller, amongst others that all worked for decades! So I can see why a person spending more money on a watch than people spend on cars can be miffed. If I drove my Rolls Royce off the show room floor and it broke down on the way home I wouldn't just shrug my shoulders "oh this happens, lots of mechanical and electrical things can go wrong" - I would be frothing!
KarlS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2016, 01:52 PM   #67
Ranfni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Panerai AP
Quote:
Originally Posted by WJGESQ View Post
The APs strike me as average quality/feel at best. I think your comments are well stated.
I think you are way off base...
Ranfni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2016, 07:24 PM   #68
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
Quote:
Originally Posted by iLLGT2 View Post
It's all good man

No one speaks up so I do, I tell it how it is! With all mechanical machinery yes things can fail, nothing is impervious to fault and failure.

I spoke to the biggest ap dealer in the country the other day when I was with him and he said AP's are stronger in value than Rolex right now for him, Patek not even a question. He just got an incomplete grey dial 5960p for 43 , insane

I was swindled into my 5270 at a "great deal" I was sold and taken like a sucker and then prices dropped 2 weeks later, f them and the salesman, hope he sees this.

As for pusher issues tons of people have had pump pushers fall off their pateks

This isn't tit for tat just saying , at the end of the day I respect your preference. It just bothers me when I see all the Patek Grail OMG posts that it's the end all be all, only if they really knew.

I may be a bit, well bitter however I have every right to be so. It's beyond being taken with my purchase , my experiences have been terrible in regards to reliability! All the best
Yeah I get the price drop on your great deal, that sucks, and I understand very well, I would be very upset too if I was sold something and 2 weeks later prices go down, to be honest, heard others have done it here with a good result, I would have written to Patek management to say how mad I was, it is basically a kind of rip off morally even if legally they are probably in their right, the 5960p grey is a scandal, they made too many, plus when the blue and black dial came out they were much more popular, I get that also. I have been lucky in that all good watches I owned, around 15-20, depending on your definition of good watches, none ever had any problem apart from some being not super accurate, in fact had only one super accurate which was spot on, my blnr, all the others were beteween 4-10 sec a day. I do understand that watches can break but not when you just got them, and the wait time for Patek is scandalous, hope I will be okmas I have one on order with them, I too would be disgusted if it broke quickly after, and would ask nothing than full refund or a new one...

Quote:
Originally Posted by el1125 View Post
I will speak up in favor of Patek. I own many of them and luckily have never had a problem with them. At the same time, I have owned AP, Rolex and RMs and never had a problem with them either...but I suspect if I did get into quality problems with Patek or whomever, I would be REALLY pissed off as well..these are expensive objects and nobody likes to lose money...
Well I guess you and I are the lucky ones as I never had a problem with a watch either, for a moment my AP diver was way, way off, but it seems that it needs an owner more active and sportif than me, every 2-3 days I fully wind it, even when wearing it all the time and now it's ok, about 5-6sec/day

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlS View Post
Yeah I also haven't had any problems and I see as many complaints on this forum about AP and RM having issues. I am one of the members treated with derision for expecting a mechanical watch to actually work and not break down. I have had VC, UN, Rolex, Frank Muller, amongst others that all worked for decades! So I can see why a person spending more money on a watch than people spend on cars can be miffed. If I drove my Rolls Royce off the show room floor and it broke down on the way home I wouldn't just shrug my shoulders "oh this happens, lots of mechanical and electrical things can go wrong" - I would be frothing!
I can understand if they have a small problem but if very soon after the purchase they break down I also consider that is wrong, maybe I am very lucky but I can't remember a single thing, watch, bikes, cars, phones, and any other mechanical or electronic equipment that I've had which broke down soon after getting it, when I read some members having multiple watches break down a very short time after purchase that is a scandal, especially if PP takes 6-12 months tonfix it,mI would really go crazy and write furious posts here as I am really not a patient person,mbut luckily nothing ever happened to me in that sense, had other problems but notnthese kind
lapince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2016, 07:37 PM   #69
KarlS
Banned

I think if you are unlucky enough to have two duds from the same manufacturer I would prefer not to stand next to that person in a thunderstorm!
KarlS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2016, 12:44 PM   #70
iLLGT2
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlS View Post
I think if you are unlucky enough to have two duds from the same manufacturer I would prefer not to stand next to that person in a thunderstorm!
LMAO

true

I am THAT guy !

My Mclaren showed up new from dealer a year ago, first day had a transmission failure... true story

Old 9 April 2016, 12:48 PM   #71
iLLGT2
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Yeah I get the price drop on your great deal, that sucks, and I understand very well, I would be very upset too if I was sold something and 2 weeks later prices go down, to be honest, heard others have done it here with a good result, I would have written to Patek management to say how mad I was, it is basically a kind of rip off morally even if legally they are probably in their right, the 5960p grey is a scandal, they made too many, plus when the blue and black dial came out they were much more popular, I get that also. I have been lucky in that all good watches I owned, around 15-20, depending on your definition of good watches, none ever had any problem apart from some being not super accurate, in fact had only one super accurate which was spot on, my blnr, all the others were beteween 4-10 sec a day. I do understand that watches can break but not when you just got them, and the wait time for Patek is scandalous, hope I will be okmas I have one on order with them, I too would be disgusted if it broke quickly after, and would ask nothing than full refund or a new one...

Well I guess you and I are the lucky ones as I never had a problem with a watch either, for a moment my AP diver was way, way off, but it seems that it needs an owner more active and sportif than me, every 2-3 days I fully wind it, even when wearing it all the time and now it's ok, about 5-6sec/day

I can understand if they have a small problem but if very soon after the purchase they break down I also consider that is wrong, maybe I am very lucky but I can't remember a single thing, watch, bikes, cars, phones, and any other mechanical or electronic equipment that I've had which broke down soon after getting it, when I read some members having multiple watches break down a very short time after purchase that is a scandal, especially if PP takes 6-12 months tonfix it,mI would really go crazy and write furious posts here as I am really not a patient person,mbut luckily nothing ever happened to me in that sense, had other problems but notnthese kind
Honestly I jsut gave up with them.. contact and service was horrendous, they were "doing me a favor" each and every contact/call , it felt.

On another note, Xavier CEO of NA AP I met in NYC AP boutique at an event, I explained my displeasure with my forged carbon flaking on grand prix... he said we will send it in now and replace whole case/bezel free of charge and service it
Took 4 weeks and it was BRAND NEW

We have kept in touch periodically, thats the type of service i'm expecting and use to now, which i guess is a little much but still.. they set the bar VERY high for me

Anyway I understand things happens, but, Patek just isnt for me. Built too fragile IMO but I still think they are good looking

My grey dial 5960p is the one that broke btw and my 57121a calendar hand got stuck

Both were common for those watches however suppose to be worked out later in production when i bought, clearly not.