The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 20 December 2018, 07:00 PM   #31
Cru Jones
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
Omega has reinvented themselves in a lot of ways.

Does the trickle down have an effect? I’m sure it does. But they are producing great looking, very robust watches, at a good price point. And they are attainable.

They are also getting out in the public in a whole new, pretty spectacular, way.

They are innovating and they are showing appreciation for their customers. I think no matter what, Omega is going to continue to be a top brand for a long time.

This.

Rolex is Rolex, and those who want a Rolex will buy a Rolex, not just another watch that happens to be available.

Omega is simply creating its own market.
Cru Jones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2018, 11:07 PM   #32
_speedmaster_
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cru Jones View Post
This.

Rolex is Rolex, and those who want a Rolex will buy a Rolex, not just another watch that happens to be available.

Omega is simply creating its own market.
Respectfully disagree. There are a ton of people who look into Rolex because, as you said, "Rolex is Rolex" and they don't know any better. Some of these people, upon being rebuffed by a Rolex AD, will look into other brands that they would otherwise have no idea about (unless they want to pay crazy premiums or be put on some bottomless, opaque waitlist). And, God forbid, maybe they even like that seamaster as much as a sub upon trying it out for the first time.

Also, It's not just Omega that is seeing an uptick in sales recently. As I said before, even independent brands like Moser and LF are seeing an increase over the past 1.5 years. Is that a coincidence? Are they all simultaneously creating their "own market"? Or, are people being forced to open their eyes and look past the hype machine that is Rolex, PP and AP?

instagram.com/ct_watch_guy
_speedmaster_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2018, 01:19 AM   #33
cascavel
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoomerang View Post
I picked up a new Seamaster 300M in blue dial partially for that reason.
I have owned the titanium Seamaster 300M since it first came out and it has gradually replaced my Submariner and Seadweller as my go to endurance watch. It's more comfortable and lighter weight with better legibility and I have beaten it rather seriously without any issues. This watch is easily the equivalent of any Rolex sports watch for all practical purposes.
Enjoy yours.
cascavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2018, 02:01 AM   #34
Panych
"TRF" Member

The more shortage of SS Rolex the more people want to get them in my view. Of course temporarily such people can relieve the itch with another brands, for example Omega, but at the end of a day they will get Rolex when they have such opportunity.
Sure, Omega and other brands are benefiting from the rolex shortage now, but I am not sure that in long term run they will continue to be so, because all depends on a repurchase rate rather than one impulse buy.
Panych is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2018, 02:06 AM   #35
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
I think that is happening, the new SMP is a real hit and much better value than a Sub now too and the 43.5 PO is a better size than before if still thick; and Breitling are probably seeing a resurgence with their new CEO favouring simpler, vintage inspired models that are less blingy. Both have my interest.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2018, 06:49 AM   #36
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by red1108nyc View Post
Haha!! Aren't they great buddy John? I mean I love my Rolex and Omega but boy, some of these higher end Seiko pieces.. the workmanship and level of detailing is just amazing

My 2 entry levels.. loads of fun.

Yes my friend. I'm a bit taken back at the quality you get at this cost point and am absolutely loving it. Can't wait to browse more of the brand in my off time. Nothing on Rolex side has me this excited after buying my first Grand Seiko.

Beautiful shot as always. Long live Kumon.
sensui is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2018, 10:21 AM   #37
srvrf
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: PP/AP
Quote:
Originally Posted by _speedmaster_ View Post
Respectfully disagree. There are a ton of people who look into Rolex because, as you said, "Rolex is Rolex" and they don't know any better. Some of these people, upon being rebuffed by a Rolex AD, will look into other brands that they would otherwise have no idea about (unless they want to pay crazy premiums or be put on some bottomless, opaque waitlist). And, God forbid, maybe they even like that seamaster as much as a sub upon trying it out for the first time.

Also, It's not just Omega that is seeing an uptick in sales recently. As I said before, even independent brands like Moser and LF are seeing an increase over the past 1.5 years. Is that a coincidence? Are they all simultaneously creating their "own market"? Or, are people being forced to open their eyes and look past the hype machine that is Rolex, PP and AP?
I completely agree. Rolex obviously makes great watches, but they don't have a monopoly on watchmaking skills. At their MSRPs, I do think most of the Rolex SS sport watches are a great value in terms of what your get and value retention. But they're not readily available, and even if they are (along with some APs and most PPs), they're at significantly more than MSRP. So if you're asking the value equation of a $20,000 Daytona or even an $80,000 Aquanaut chronograph, it is completely different.

To most of the non-WIS watch buying public, the level of knowledge/interest is probably limited to Rolex = expensive watch and Gold Rolex = even more expensive watch. Those with the $$$ and desire to wear the crown will play the game. Those with other priorities will wait or look elsewhere. I do think this creates a great opportunity for other brands in a similar tier to grow (like IWC, Omega, JLC) if they can convince the non-WIS buying public that they offer a similar or better value.
srvrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2018, 10:28 AM   #38
benlee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, PP
Quote:
Originally Posted by flilow06 View Post
I was listening to a past episode of aBlogtoWatch podcast with guest George Mayer - director of sales & watch buying for Govberg. In one of the episodes, he was asked who the strongest selling brands are currently. Of course, he listed Rolex, Patek, and AP. But then he said something which hadn't struck me before. He listed Omega as number five, stating that because Rolex has become so difficult to acquire, Omega has seen a strong surge in sales as consumers transition to purchasing them instead. The episode is from March 14th, I found it a very worthwhile listen.

Curious what everyone else's thoughts are on this...
That was a time eons ago where Omega was Rolex was today and it's Rolex that was chasing Omega's coat tail. How times have changed. Now, Omega is chasing behind Rolex trying to deliver a better watch at a more competitive price point

Indeed, Omega has done better recently, sales are up, perhaps at the expenses of Rolex due to non-availability of popular SS watches. In the end, someone has to come in to fill the demand if Rolex won't .Omega makes nice watch and their latest Seamaster 300 2018 which features for the first time an inhouse movement is simply outstanding. Nice enough that I have gotten one myself.

What Omega should do is really to trim down their product offering. There's just too many models and references, most with little to differentiate from one another and causing consumer confusion.
Old 21 December 2018, 11:43 AM   #39
_speedmaster_
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by srvrf View Post
I completely agree. Rolex obviously makes great watches, but they don't have a monopoly on watchmaking skills. At their MSRPs, I do think most of the Rolex SS sport watches are a great value in terms of what your get and value retention. But they're not readily available, and even if they are (along with some APs and most PPs), they're at significantly more than MSRP. So if you're asking the value equation of a $20,000 Daytona or even an $80,000 Aquanaut chronograph, it is completely different.

To most of the non-WIS watch buying public, the level of knowledge/interest is probably limited to Rolex = expensive watch and Gold Rolex = even more expensive watch. Those with the $$$ and desire to wear the crown will play the game. Those with other priorities will wait or look elsewhere. I do think this creates a great opportunity for other brands in a similar tier to grow (like IWC, Omega, JLC) if they can convince the non-WIS buying public that they offer a similar or better value.
Well said. Now it’s up to those brands to streamline their product line and create something to attract the average non-WIS away from Rolex. I think Omega is doing just that with the seamaster 300. Their recent speedmaster LEs have been on point too (although they could stand to reduce the amount of LE releases).

instagram.com/ct_watch_guy
_speedmaster_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 December 2018, 05:25 AM   #40
astewartconst
"TRF" Member

I picked up the now older SMP300 earlier this year for $2,300 nearly new full kit. Wow what a great watch for the money. This totally changed my view of Rolex. At current prices I am out of Rolex and have ventured into Blancpain, Jaeger, Omega and these brands make me feel like Rolex is way overpriced at current levels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
astewartconst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 December 2018, 12:00 PM   #41
zion_rasta
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II ceramic
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyS View Post
No regrets here. Omega did an excellent job increasing the size. You see some brands struggle with this: the hands are too short, bezel is wrong, the crown is out of proportion. I think Omega changed the size and shape of everything in proportion to the extra millimeter to keep things looking correct. Unfortunately, that includes the size of the He relief valve--but it's bothering me less than I thought it would. The case thickness is perfect for the size of the watch. At 13.7mm it's only about 1mm thicker than a Sub, which is hardly noticeable at all given the larger diameter. The end links show much better fit than previous Omega models, and the bracelet drops straight down from the lugs, which makes it fit better than one might think for a 42mm watch. Omega did something similar with the current generation of Planet Ocean--and I'm a fan. At least someone is paying attention to the importance of lug-height these days! Those of us with sub-7 inch wrists appreciate these details.

The clasp is a welcome improvement as well, incorporating the on-the-fly micro-adjustment found in the Planet Ocean and the Seamaster 300 Master CoAxial. The only thing I didn't care for was the rubber strap. It looks great in pictures, but in person it feels a little thin, and is a serious pain to put on and take off. Best of all? No waitlist! It's also been very accurate, if a tad on the fast side. According to the METAS certification, the watch was tested at an average of +4.5 seconds per day over six positions. That's exactly what my watch is showing since Saturday, too. Whether or not the METAS certification--like the coaxial escapement--is merely an advertising gimmick remains to be seen, but it IS nice to have access to the testing results for your watch. Reminds me of the old days, when manufacturers would include the COSC certificate and results when you bought a Chronometer.

FYI, I went into my local dealer hunting for a 58 or GMT, much as I have for the past 6-months or so.

Case height on the new SMP is 13.5mm

Case height on the sub is 13.7mm
Sold - Daytona 116523; YM 116622; Datejust 16233
zion_rasta is offline   Reply With Quote