The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!!

Old 26 December 2018, 04:59 PM   #1
Stone cold sober
"TRF" Member

Alex Pig Timepieces

I bought a Rolex Daytona from Alex Pig Timepieces via Chrono24. The watch has never arrived almost 6 months already. Anyway watch was impounded by customs as it was undervalued by the seller at only $31 US. Basically the watch had No chance. What is most upsetting is the seller Alex Pig Timepieces has made no effort to contact customs to secure it's release.

How can it be possible that Alex Pig Timepieces would not contact customs. I will write an additional review about my experience with Chrono24 who in my opinion should never be trusted.
Stone cold sober is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2018, 04:40 AM   #2
jvmartin
"TRF" Member

Are they demanding a customs payment to release the watch?
jvmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2018, 05:39 AM   #3
stchambe
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270 mk2
I think its now up to you, as the importer, to deal with customs. Hopefully the watch is still sitting in a warehouse and hasn't been sent back to the seller.

I've had a few watches shipped from HK in the past. Once a luxury item is valued at over $2500 (if I remember correctly...), it is subject to an import tax. I've always been able to pay the applicable fees ahead of time and have had no delays in shipping/processing.
stchambe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2018, 05:52 AM   #4
crowncollection
"TRF" Member

Custom Fees are your responsibility, as the value was falsely declared you will need a receipt with the correct value to send them. It’s usually send back after 3 months of unattended

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 27 December 2018, 06:16 AM   #5
CorradoBrit
"TRF" Member

You waited 6 months? Why?
As others have stated its the recipient who is responsible for paying the import/customs due at the port of entry.
I think you need to confirm the watch is still in-bond in the Philippines? If it has been returned to sender you'll have no recourse through Paypal due to the length of time.
CorradoBrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2018, 06:19 AM   #6
rcwatches
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rose Daytona
As above really. Sorry to hear Ive dealt with Alex throughout the years, never had an issue and always swift!
Old 27 December 2018, 08:09 AM   #7
CaveDweller
"TRF" Member

Watch: Timex
I’d agree that custom duties are the responsibility of the buyer – but in this case, the seller has also misrepresented the true value of the package – the watch may be being held as evidence (it varies from country to country)

But in either event, 6 months is too long to wait to find out what’s going on – time to kick some butt
CaveDweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2018, 08:27 AM   #8
Stone cold sober
"TRF" Member

I paid the penalties in the first week almost $1400 however Philippine customs will not release it and probably never will. I never asked the seller to undervalue the watch. Who in there right mind would think that a vintage Daytona would pass through customs at $31. Also I was charged $500 for shipping? High price for an item valued at $31.
Old 27 December 2018, 10:14 AM   #9
Stone cold sober
"TRF" Member

The seller should contact Philippine customs? I am sure we all understand what they require. I have paid enough already don't you think. The seller has done nothing to secure the release.
Old 27 December 2018, 10:25 AM   #10
CorradoBrit
"TRF" Member

If you paid the penalty and any required duties the watch should have been released. What excuse are they giving you? I'd be concerned the watch has gone AWOL.

What do Fedex say? As carriers they are responsible for delivering the watch to you and have a dept that handles these international shipments, act as customs brokers, submit customs fees etc.
And did AP tell you shipping fee would be $500? Was that supposed to cover import duties? Have you called the dealer direct to get some answers?

All sounds a little fishy
Old 27 December 2018, 11:15 AM   #11
Stone cold sober
"TRF" Member

You made some good points. My attorney has been in touch with FedEx legal however Philippine customs are a law upon themselves. I also employed a Brooker and I am running up large expenses. My point is that the seller is doing nothing to secure the release. Also at no time did I ask Alex Pig Timepieces to undervalue the watch. I was expecting import charges that I would pay upon arrival.
Old 27 December 2018, 11:30 AM   #12
CorradoBrit
"TRF" Member

Whether AP undervalued the shipment or not is sort of irrelevant at this point. The package was intercepted, you paid a penalty (which you're within your rights to expect covered by AP IMO) and should have the watch in your possession. Your issue is with Fedex and the Philippines customs at this moment. There is nothing AP can do to 'secure release' unless the customs are planning court action for undervaluing (highly unlikely).
Make sure you're barking up the right tree.
Old 27 December 2018, 11:45 AM   #13
05carbondrz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorradoBrit View Post
Whether AP undervalued the shipment or not is sort of irrelevant at this point. The package was intercepted, you paid a penalty (which you're within your rights to expect covered by AP IMO) and should have the watch in your possession. Your issue is with Fedex and the Philippines customs at this moment. There is nothing AP can do to 'secure release' unless the customs are planning court action for undervaluing (highly unlikely).
Make sure you're barking up the right tree.
I agree with this line of thinking,Your dealing with Customs now.AP put You in this situation but the only way to resolve it is deal with Customs/Fed-Ex which can be a joke.I also agree You should have received the Watch after paying the $1,400 payment(How did they arrive at this amount?).
05carbondrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2018, 11:56 AM   #14
Stone cold sober
"TRF" Member

Your comments are very interesting and for anybody else viewing this thread???? How did you know the shipping was FedEx there was no mention of it until you introduced it. Educated guess maybe. Anyway it's an open forum no offense.
Old 27 December 2018, 11:57 AM   #15
importstunna
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
Was the watch insured by AP? Would that have solved the $31 issue and declared it correctly? I've always wondered how that would work.

Good luck either way.
importstunna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2018, 12:10 PM   #16
CorradoBrit
"TRF" Member

You can't declare a value of $31 and insure it for more.
Old 27 December 2018, 12:36 PM   #17
Stone cold sober
"TRF" Member

Seller assured me his reason for such a low value was for insurance purposes?? Good question. Hopefully the guy who knew it was with FedEx could answer that. Thanks for your input most helpful.
Old 27 December 2018, 12:44 PM   #18
VintageVagabound
"TRF" Member

Quote:
You can't declare a value of $31 and insure it for more.
Are you sure? I believe the people using parcel pro can get full insurance regardless of declared value.
VintageVagabound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2018, 12:48 PM   #19
CorradoBrit
"TRF" Member

Never used parcel Pro so not sure. I generally ship Postal Service for international sales and its the case for USPS.
Old 27 December 2018, 01:13 PM   #20
Stone cold sober
"TRF" Member

I didn't ask for the watch to be undervalued and not sure if any company could have shipped it through customs at $31. Alex Pig is a decent guy however he was wrong to ship it at such a low valuation. I am asking for a full refund. Sadly negotiations between us have broken down. Six months is to long to wait. I bought the watch in good faith.
Old 27 December 2018, 01:27 PM   #21
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageVagabound View Post
Are you sure? I believe the people using parcel pro can get full insurance regardless of declared value.
No. Insured value must match declared value with Parcel Pro.

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2018, 01:31 PM   #22
CorradoBrit
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone cold sober View Post
Seller assured me his reason for such a low value was for insurance purposes??
Makes absolutely no sense.
Old 27 December 2018, 01:37 PM   #23
Stone cold sober
"TRF" Member

I didn't ask for the watch to be undervalued and not sure if any company could have shipped it through customs at $31. seller is a decent guy however he was wrong to ship it at such a low valuation. I am asking for a full refund. Sadly negotiations between us have broken down. Six months is to long to wait. I bought the watch in good faith.
Old 27 December 2018, 02:25 PM   #24
CorradoBrit
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Also I was charged $500 for shipping?
Why?

Shipping Cost plus Insurance:
EMS Speedpost ~ USD100 per package
Fedex ~ USD250 per package

How did you pay?

Too many unanswered questions in this thread.
Old 27 December 2018, 02:57 PM   #25
Stone cold sober
"TRF" Member

I am asking for a refund from the seller as a bought the watch in good faith. I didn't ask for the watch to be undervalued. I was willing to pay customs duty upon delivery.
Old 27 December 2018, 04:31 PM   #26
CorradoBrit
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I didn't ask for the watch to be undervalued.
So you keep saying. How about answering some specific questions that have been posed. Like where is the watch now, why hasn't customs released watch once fine paid, what is fedex telling you....... etc etc
Old 27 December 2018, 05:14 PM   #27
stchambe
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270 mk2
Quote:
I paid the penalties in the first week almost $1400 however Philippine customs will not release it and probably never will.

Did you pay customs fees to the Philippines or the USA? To my understanding customs fees are applied at the port of entry, not departure, irregardless of what country the item is being shipped from. Did the watch even ever leave the Philippines?
stchambe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2018, 08:15 PM   #28
Stone cold sober
"TRF" Member

The watch is with customs. And yes tried everything broker, attorney chasing every working day for six months. Customs don't have to tell you why just excuses. FedEx can't get it signed off. The question is how long would one wait and how much more to spend. I didn't ask for it to be undervalue.
Old 27 December 2018, 08:37 PM   #29
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
Quote:
So you keep saying. How about answering some specific questions that have been posed. Like where is the watch now, why hasn't customs released watch once fine paid, what is fedex telling you....... etc etc
How about cooling your jets? Your tone is accusative. And you seem to be applying US Customs rules to a foreign country. I can tell you that most countries are NOTHING like the US. I have seen US Government property hung in foreign customs for over four months due to a form not filled out correctly.

The shipper retains control of the package until the consignee signs for it. The shipper should have done a POA with the transporter (FedEx, etc.) to work the package through customs on his behalf. Whether the undervalue was an error or intentional, the shipper caused the consignment to be frustrated in customs and owns this fubar entirely. It is always the shippers responsibility to resolve these intransit issues, and the shipper should have instructed the transporter to return the frustrated consignment to him long ago.

OP - Definately file a claim on the payment. The shipment is in Customs hold which will give you greater flexibility with the pay service. And, Alex Pig will be influenced more by a refund investigation than by your continued correspondance.
Abdullah71601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2018, 02:54 PM   #30
rolexinfl
"TRF" Member

Sounds like your issue is with corrupt Philippine customs agency...
rolexinfl is offline   Reply With Quote